Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what's the consensus on 0W40?

 
Old 02-11-2019, 05:40 PM
  #21  
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
X25's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: Sammamish, WA
Posts: 3,950
Thanked 390 Times in 315 Posts
Default

Yep, the engineers thought 0W-40 ESP is better, so the factory switched to that : )

Last edited by X25; 02-11-2019 at 05:40 PM.
X25 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:54 PM
  #22  
RegnaR
CF Senior Member
 
RegnaR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 565
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Yep, the engineers thought 0W-40 ESP is better, so the factory switched to that : )
Yep agree. Also did not know the 350 had this crazy problem with burning oil!
RegnaR is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:26 PM
  #23  
LagunaSecaZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: San Jose California
Posts: 239
Thanked 92 Times in 33 Posts
Default

My point is, the GT350 owners/Ford are not worried about oil fouling their cats, compared to seized engines. Since my Z06 barely uses any oil, I am not worried about it hurting my cats. I run 15w-150 Mobil 1 all the time. I track my car 4-8days per year, and i am not going to be switching back and forth. If I didn't track my car, I would just stay with stock.


Originally Posted by X25 View Post
What you're looking at Tadge's statement is regarding Mobile1 0W-40 European Formula. What is now recommended for our engines is Mobil1 0W-40 ESP, and it's a completely different formulation.

Regarding GT350, that engine's design is flawed, and the oil burning issue is only one of the problems it has. I don't see the connection to our cars, though. LTx engines are not high revving engines, not designed for it at all, and are usually pretty good (low) on oil consumption, even with aggressive use.
LagunaSecaZ06 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to LagunaSecaZ06 For This Useful Post:
RobGZ06 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:16 PM
  #24  
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
X25's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: Sammamish, WA
Posts: 3,950
Thanked 390 Times in 315 Posts
Default

I know of a lot of instances where cats of especially the OEM FI cars failed, despite being completely stock, like C6 ZR1, C7 Z06, etc. I take these issues very seriously to be honest, especially since I intend to run my car at the track quite a bit.
X25 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to X25 For This Useful Post:
cvp33 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 PM
  #25  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,161
Thanked 267 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06 View Post
My point is, the GT350 owners/Ford are not worried about oil fouling their cats, compared to seized engines. Since my Z06 barely uses any oil, I am not worried about it hurting my cats. I run 15w-150 Mobil 1 all the time. I track my car 4-8days per year, and i am not going to be switching back and forth. If I didn't track my car, I would just stay with stock.
This. 0w40 might be better for the cats but what about the engine?

The fact that the early model LT4's came with 5w30 as factory fill is good enough for me to keep using it rather than spending double going with something else. I know it's still dexos approved but idk, i been using 5w30 EP oil in all my cars and my UOA's have been perfect.

Plus it's available at walmart. I can just go in and get as many 5qt jugs as i want
RobGZ06 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:22 PM
  #26  
jstewart
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 527
Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Best choice if you have deleted cats??? 5W 30 Mobil 1 seems fine to me for street & dragstrip use.
jstewart is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:50 PM
  #27  
BearZ06
CF Senior Member
 
BearZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro Arkansas
Posts: 3,411
Thanked 174 Times in 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
This. 0w40 might be better for the cats but what about the engine?

The fact that the early model LT4's came with 5w30 as factory fill is good enough for me to keep using it rather than spending double going with something else. I know it's still dexos approved but idk, i been using 5w30 EP oil in all my cars and my UOA's have been perfect.

Plus it's available at walmart. I can just go in and get as many 5qt jugs as i want
The older European formula Mobil 1 0W-40 is available at Wmart too and is better oil. GM recommended it at one time.


Last edited by BearZ06; 02-12-2019 at 12:51 PM.
BearZ06 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So what's the consensus on 0W40?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: