C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

To Z06 owners - what are your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 09:22 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,762 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

the car won’t overheat on the street

the 1.7 supercharger does give good torque down low- but it peters out up top especially once the car is at full operating temperature.

Seats are great. Ac in the summer works well and heated in the winter is good too.

All the tech gadgetry in the dashboard is pretty worthless “in my opinion”. Unless your a tech geek that likes to full around with that sort of thing.

With all the torque down low the e-diff makes the car wiggy. Some swear by it for the track.

The car reminds me of a 2 door Cadillac.

as far as the looks of the c7z sometimes I think it looks good and sometimes it reminds me of this Seinfeld episode.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFeUrC2gR30
Peter's out so badly I pull a buddy's huracan from 70 up to over double that.

it's all relative.

it may "peter out" but that is still faster than most anything stock and many other things modded lol
Old 02-03-2019, 10:04 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the Callaway SC757 still available? It adds about 18 grand (or more depending on options) to the price of a Z06. I bought a used 2015 C7 Z06 3LZ M7 (without Z07), and the car can't hook up in 1st gear (65 mph) with stock power. There's isn't much margin left for more torque or power in 2nd gear (93 mph) either, so you're close to 100 mph before power mods help much. I'm a bit spoiled since I own a motorcycle, 2001 Suzuki Hayabusa, which would be the equivalent of a Z06 with 900 hp, except that it's not traction limited, even on cold tires on a cool (55 degrees or so) day, only wheelie limited in 1st gear (80 mph) (since all of the weight transfers to the rear tire, unlike Z06 which starts off with 50/50 weight distribution and a low center of mass). There are motorcycles with better power to weight ratios now, but due to wheelie limitation, 0 to 60 mph has been stuck around 2.6 to 2.7 seconds since around 2000. Again, the power to weight ratio doesn't help much until around 80 to 100 mph.
The following users liked this post:
Plstxmd (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:34 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 978 Likes on 460 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Just get a used GS and mod from there and save a ton of money.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 PM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

I own a 2017 Z06. It is an A8 and have absolutely zero overheating problems no matter how hard I drive it. Since you are getting the M7, that is even better for you. If you want a warranty and even more power, go with Callaway for $18k more or if you want to not have a warranty and tool on it yourself, get a used C7 Z06. You will love the car in any Z06 form no matter what others say. Personally on the street it is difficult to drive it at its full potential (unless there are zero people and cars around you on the street).
Old 02-03-2019, 11:15 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
This.

I'll still never understand why some would go for a GS when for a couple grand more you can get a Z.

Stingray is a different story. If you don't care at all about performance.
A couple grand? You must use different monetary units. Not even close.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 AM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

I bought a used 16 with only 3K miles on it. Did the Haltech and a ported TB. I was at Cordes in Phx in less than 6 months for upper pulley and headers. 3 months of getting use to that, came the lower pulley, flex fuel and meth kit. Also did their larger HX and an expansion tank along with the 17 SC lid. I wanted to maintain cool IATs in the AZ heat. At that point I was at 675/725 at the wheels. Moved to the Midwest and had a few tuning adjustments for better air and was at 700rwhp. Now it is going back to Cordes next month for H/C, the 2300 and other supporting mods. Hoping for 800 rwhp when all is said and done. Is it way more than I need for the street yes, but my money and that is what I want. Modding is a function of cash and time. I promise that you will be very happy with stock and the extra HP is bragging rights in most cases.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:34 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,147 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
I got my 1lz for 68k.

what do 1lt's go for?

the deals are out there if you're willing to look. Imho going with a gs makes no sense.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:53 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I got my 1lz for 68k.

what do 1lt's go for?

the deals are out there if you're willing to look. Imho going with a gs makes no sense.
I agree getting 1LZ. The deals are on them if you are not worried about the front camera and heated and cooled seats. Other things. You get a very fast Z and just leave it stock. Or maybe change the throttle body and add the X pipe.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

Yes a different lid on the blower and an extra cooler in the M7. The auto didn’t have room. As said if you don’t track it you’ll have no hearing issues with either.
More than a different lid on the blower. They tilted the intercooler bricks to provide more charge cooling for the rear two cylinders because the rear two cylinders have higher combustion temps than the other 6. The tilted bricks made the taller lid necessary. The lid by itself does nothing as a number of people have already found out. The tilted bricks let the engine run longer without a drop off of peak power over a 5 or 10 minute period of wide open operation. Thus can maintain 150 mph speed in 4th over a specific distance Vs have speed slowed to 140 over the same distance.

Bill
Old 02-04-2019, 11:46 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
More than a different lid on the blower. They tilted the intercooler bricks to provide more charge cooling for the rear two cylinders because the rear two cylinders have higher combustion temps than the other 6. The tilted bricks made the taller lid necessary. The lid by itself does nothing as a number of people have already found out. The tilted bricks let the engine run longer without a drop off of peak power over a 5 or 10 minute period of wide open operation. Thus can maintain 150 mph speed in 4th over a specific distance Vs have speed slowed to 140 over the same distance.

Bill
Thanks for clarifying Bill. I knew it was upgraded just didn’t know what was all done to it.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:40 PM
JanosNFS
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

If you were to leave the car stock without hard track abuse you would never have an overhearing issue. On the 2019 models like mine there is absolutely no issues, I ran it all day at a local track in 105F and zero issues above 100Fitjust started pulling some timing and I was down on top speeds but besides that no issues, the car now is pretty safe...

but if you start modding just for safety you should invest in cooling aids for sure, especially pushing an extra 100hp out of the car...

good luck you will love the car!
Old 02-05-2019, 02:18 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
z06 is only 14k more that’s isnt much.

grand sport.

+ all the crap you will do to equal a z06...

Supercharger $8000 install $1200

tune $1000

that's $10,200 and you still have a grand sport and no warranty without the super cool carbon torque tube.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:09 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
Hey there, I've owned two C6 Corvettes (one Z06 and one ZR1). I am without a Corvette right now and would like to get into another one within the next year or so. I would appreciate the new technology and features and beautiful interior of the newer C7 so I think I may have made up my mind on a C7.

My dilemma is whether to get a Grand Sport or a Z06. I've always been about getting as much horsepower as possible - even if I can't realistically use all of it on the street. But here's the thing: the car will NEVER be tracked it will be strictly a weekend cruising car on the city streets. The Z06 seems like the obvious choice still but there are a few things I am hoping you guys can clarify for me:

1) If the car is strictly street driven (in manual tranny form) are there any overheating issues or was that whole mess more for the automatics that were seeing heavy track time? Does the overheating issue go up if I start modding the car, even though it'll still only be street driven?

2) Do any of you have issues with the small 1.7L blower and does it cause you any problems if you start modding more than just an exhaust and headers?

That is my only dilemma really. I want to go heavy on the mods and get somewhere in the 750rwhp range. Is that very realistic with the Z06 or would a better option be saving the money to purchase a Grand Sport and then modding that up to 750 or so?

I've heard of quite a few Z06 owners removing the stock blower to go with a Procharger - at that point I feel the Z06 is pointless and may as well have saved the money, purchased the GS and then gone with a Procharger anyways.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm mainly just wondering if any of you who have started modding your Z06s to the area of around 750rwhp are running into overheating issues, problems with the small blower or anything else and in hind sight would have chosen the GS instead.
You will not overheat on the street, pick up a used Z06 put headers, exhaust, intake, pulley and tune and you will be happy

Quick Reply: To Z06 owners - what are your thoughts