C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Are there women at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Proudpatriot
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Are there women at the track?

My husband suggested that we take our cars up to the track and do a High Performance Driving school. The school is non competitive. I wouldn't mind taking my car out on the track and having someone teach me how to drive on a track. The things I am worried about are:

1. Do I have to change anything on my car (brakes, tires)?
2. Are there ever women out at the track?

I don't know why I am worried about #2 but I am.

Popular Reply

02-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Proudpatriot
My husband suggested that we take our cars up to the track and do a High Performance Driving school. The school is non competitive. I wouldn't mind taking my car out on the track and having someone teach me how to drive on a track. The things I am worried about are:

Yes, there are women at the track. Not always a lot but there are some at each of the schools I instruct for. There are also a number of women instructors at various schools but not all. I have instructed at least 5 women students and on average they are better to work with than men. They actually pay attention and follow instructions and learn a lot faster than a lot of men do. Two years ago I had a young woman who came to a one day school with her father in his Ferrari 458. She was a senior in college and her dad had talked her into taking this school. The first time she rode in the car was on the trip from home to the track and she had never driven it. When we got in the car she was practically petrified going out on a track in a multi hundred thousand dollar car that she didn't even know how to start and get into gear. During her first couple of laps around the track her hands were so tight on the steering wheel it seemed she could have broken it in two. I was also her father's instructor. He had some experience on the track and at the beginning of the day he drove better than she did. However, by lunch time she was ahead of him and by the end of the day she was vastly ahead of him. She was smoothly getting around the track at a much faster pace and we were both having a good time as her experience grew and she became more confident.

I took this picture of the two beside the car:

Don't be afraid to go to the school. You won't become the fastest driver in the world after one school but you will really appreciate what you learn about how an automobile actually handles when pushed closer to the limits which for most cars on the road is far higher than the drivers piloting them. It can also be a really great time as there are a lot of really great people who go to these events. The downside of going to a school is really liking the thrill of driving a car fast and near its limits. When hooked on the adrenaline rush the habit gets expensive, sometimes very expensive.

Bill
Old 02-09-2019, 01:19 PM
BLK06ZO6
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

1. Assuming you have C7 you don’t have to change anything for your first track experience. Street tires with good tread will be fine. Stock brakes will fine too. I would flush the brake fluid with a quality DOT4 fluid.
2. I see plenty of women at track events from beginners through advanced levels. Enjoy the experience!
Old 02-09-2019, 01:21 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Always women at the track and most are better drivers than the men. As for equipment, I suggest a measured approach:

0 - 10 track days - Stock tires, pads, fluid.
10 - 20 track days - Castrol SRF and a good track pad. I like Hawk DTC 60/70 but there are plenty of choices for the Z06
20 - ? track days - Toyo R888R's and eventually graduate to a dedicated track slick

This is also assuming that your track times are coming down accordingly as your skill improves. The longer you spend on stock equipment, the more you'll learn about car control. Hope that helps, but gender of the driver is the least of my worries on track. Mindset and skill are my biggest concerns on track.

Last edited by cvp33; 02-09-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Proudpatriot

Yes, there are women at the track. Not always a lot but there are some at each of the schools I instruct for. There are also a number of women instructors at various schools but not all. I have instructed at least 5 women students and on average they are better to work with than men. They actually pay attention and follow instructions and learn a lot faster than a lot of men do. Two years ago I had a young woman who came to a one day school with her father in his Ferrari 458. She was a senior in college and her dad had talked her into taking this school. The first time she rode in the car was on the trip from home to the track and she had never driven it. When we got in the car she was practically petrified going out on a track in a multi hundred thousand dollar car that she didn't even know how to start and get into gear. During her first couple of laps around the track her hands were so tight on the steering wheel it seemed she could have broken it in two. I was also her father's instructor. He had some experience on the track and at the beginning of the day he drove better than she did. However, by lunch time she was ahead of him and by the end of the day she was vastly ahead of him. She was smoothly getting around the track at a much faster pace and we were both having a good time as her experience grew and she became more confident.

I took this picture of the two beside the car:

Don't be afraid to go to the school. You won't become the fastest driver in the world after one school but you will really appreciate what you learn about how an automobile actually handles when pushed closer to the limits which for most cars on the road is far higher than the drivers piloting them. It can also be a really great time as there are a lot of really great people who go to these events. The downside of going to a school is really liking the thrill of driving a car fast and near its limits. When hooked on the adrenaline rush the habit gets expensive, sometimes very expensive.

Bill
The following 6 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Basil2000 (02-10-2019), djnice (02-09-2019), LagunaSecaZ06 (02-11-2019), Road machine (02-11-2019), robert miller (02-11-2019), tzoid9 (02-10-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

My wife is beginning to really like HPDE events driving our 15 Z06 now after 2 events. She cant wait for the season to start again here up north. I run in open class so we can use 1 car for the both of us. She recently made center fold in a local car magazine, sure did a lot for her confidence and mine being married to a centerfold! She also loves the women instructors she's had. Go for it! https://issuu.com/apexautomag/docs/a...ter-2019-lr/34
Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

most women have more finesse then men,they arnt as ham-fisted,and don't need to prove anything

they shoot guns better too/faster to pick on things
The following users liked this post:
Ferntree (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:36 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Rich and Carrie are forum vendors and members.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-magazine.html
Old 02-11-2019, 11:30 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

There are women at the track At VIR there are always women at the track. I even had a female instructor, Anne Keller, instruct me at VIR for most of last season. Get out there and have some fun!
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:53 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Her sister Helen was a terrible instructor. Too soon?

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
There are women at the track At VIR there are always women at the track. I even had a female instructor, Anne Keller, instruct me at VIR for most of last season. Get out there and have some fun!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:54 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

You're bad! LOL.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

I’ve seen a couple of women only track events. Few but some.

But who cares? You throw on a helmet why’s it matter?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:11 AM
shizon'00
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

My wife drives both of our track cars (C7Z and 981S). She's fast in both, instructs, mentors instructor candidates, and is always happy to encourage and help other women get into the sport.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:55 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

There aren't a lot of women, but there are some. My wife went with me last time, I took the Z, she took our M3, we had a blast. I strongly recommend going somewhere that you get an instructor ride-along for the first while. You don't wan't to be thrown into it cold (and that's true for any gender!).

She had a blast, btw!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:18 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Yep, my wife loves tracking her Tesla Model X P100D. She may even drive my Z06 a couple of times this year. We both did Spring Mountain and she was hooked from then on.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 02-15-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Proudpatriot
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for all of your input!

Get notified of new replies

To Are there women at the track?

Quick Reply: Are there women at the track?