C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hellcat and Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,773 Likes on 3,184 Posts

sounds about right from my own encounters with friends. and i've run them from a higher speed then that, and i can tell you, using the M mode to pick the right gear then clicking back to Drive to let the computer do the upshifts put me a solid 5 or 6 out on a Hellcat Charger and even more on Challengers. it even left me about a fender or fender/door out on a friend's Redeye (widebody). to compare them in acceleration is cute. but not really relative imo. if you start the mod comparison, it takes a bolton Hellcat to beat a stock A8 Z06. tells you all you need to know. the Z06 is in another league, as it should be.. it's a sports car that hangs with and beats supercars in all kinds of performance categories. not opinion. that's fact.

In fact here's a video if how a stock C7 Z06 A8 is "barely faster" than a hellcat.

That Stock Z06 Just barely took that charger.

Oh and here's a video of how the car goes slower because they overheat after beating on them

Yeah. That A8 in the Chevy isn't the ZF but ZF or not it shifts quick at WOT.

Especially to be commented on by those who never owned the A8. But read about it on the internet lol.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 06-27-2019 at 10:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
dar02081961 (06-28-2019), Harbgrogan (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 07:40 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I am in such a pickle now on what toy to get next. I just saw pics of the widebody hellcat charger. And i want one...............now lol

The redeye is no joke. The dodge power houses are a god send.

if it wasn't for the TERRIBLE visiblity, i'd think about a camaro SS for a daily. But the car is a tank from a visibility point of view so there goes that.

I'd pick the challenger redeye over the ZL1 9 times out of 10.
My buddy is truly a car guy. He's owned Vipers, Z06's, Camaros, Mustangs, etc., etc. He also currently has a Ford Focus RS, which he said is like a go cart. He's one of those guys that knows what he's talking about and I have a great deal of respect for his opinions.

I've watched videos on the Hellcat Charger wide body and it's an amazing car for something so large. If I hadn't just gotten my Z06, I'd definitely be interested. Good luck on your selection process.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:12 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,250 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
My buddy is truly a car guy. He's owned Vipers, Z06's, Camaros, Mustangs, etc., etc. He also currently has a Ford Focus RS, which he said is like a go cart. He's one of those guys that knows what he's talking about and I have a great deal of respect for his opinions.

I've watched videos on the Hellcat Charger wide body and it's an amazing car for something so large. If I hadn't just gotten my Z06, I'd definitely be interested. Good luck on your selection process.
Yeah same with me. I'm a car guy. So I love all cars. I am not a Corvette fan boy where no other car exists besides the Corvette lol. So that broadens my comments on this forum to the point that theres no delusion.

I'm glad there's a few others like yourself that can acknowledge other cars too.

The hellcat is amazing. Doesnt matter what anyone says. No its not as beautiful as the c7z but in terms of performance, at least in a straight line its ABOUT equal with the z. Road course different although an endurance race the z would overheat anyway and have to hit the pit stop lol.

But I ride in my buddies hellcat all the time. It's a beast. Even when it was bolt on it was scary fast. The way the trans shifts is unbelievable. So much harder than a gm a8, at least in stock form.

Then my other buddy has a hellcat challenger manual and I think it's not as fast. But that could be me. The zf is definitely the better option with those cars.

Then my other other buddy has a ctsv. Gen 3. Its jaw dropping. And scary fast. But its limited due to the crappy trans.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:42 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Its called hot lapping. 80+ back to back quarter miles averaging 12.1 at 128 is very good. Car had to be an automatic. You couldn’t do this in a manual in a corvette or a manual trans hellcat.
I know what its called, I could drive my bolt-on G8 GT to Epping NH on high performance street tires (hankooks) & drop mid 12.55-12.65 all day long trapping 111-113 or so. That car had 2 fewer gears 1 less supercharger & probably 275-300 less HP @ the crank than the Hellfat.

I also know there's a big difference with .5 in the 1/4, but given the age of the 2 cars & the power differential + intended purpose of design, it simply demonstrates (IMO) how unimpressive a vehicle w/ that kind of power putting those times up is.

The Trackhawk? Love it. Very impressed by it.

But seeing what guys have done in N/A G8's & Chevy SS's + knowing a stock C5Z is capable of high 11's & a stock C6Z capable of high 10's - again, not very impressive. Just isnt - because all day everyday they remind you how SEVEN HUNDRED SEVEN HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is soooooo much power.

I'm aware stock hellcats have gone into high 11's on street tires too.......but you know what a G8 GXP or SS runs on street tires when you strap a blower on it?

Is anything I just stated incorrect or misleading or not factual to a T? I think not.

Last edited by C5Dobie; 06-28-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:46 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

That is pretty much what was stated until some others couldn't accept that reality.

1 car length difference up to 130mph IS RIGHT THERE LMAO.

I keep saying that. I keep saying the ZF is a better auto than the GM A8. And people don't wanna accept that reality.

So now we can finally end this discussion.

HC and Z are about even, Z being barely faster. Looks better.

But HC, for it's weight, has a better auto trans, more durable, more practical (so to speak), and still fast.

That HC charger widebody though. My god. They already look menacing narrow body. Now dodge gave it steroids. haha. It will terrorize the streets.

You're def right about the tranny. Was ready for the A8 in my last 2015 6.2 GMC to blow on me (already had the fluid swap TSB performed) until it got totaled. I am hoping the new 10 speed is the problem solver - it certainly feels legit in my Raptor.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:15 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Yeah same with me. I'm a car guy. So I love all cars. I am not a Corvette fan boy where no other car exists besides the Corvette lol. So that broadens my comments on this forum to the point that theres no delusion.

I'm glad there's a few others like yourself that can acknowledge other cars too.

The hellcat is amazing. Doesnt matter what anyone says. No its not as beautiful as the c7z but in terms of performance, at least in a straight line its ABOUT equal with the z. Road course different although an endurance race the z would overheat anyway and have to hit the pit stop lol.

But I ride in my buddies hellcat all the time. It's a beast. Even when it was bolt on it was scary fast. The way the trans shifts is unbelievable. So much harder than a gm a8, at least in stock form.

Then my other buddy has a hellcat challenger manual and I think it's not as fast. But that could be me. The zf is definitely the better option with those cars.

Then my other other buddy has a ctsv. Gen 3. Its jaw dropping. And scary fast. But its limited due to the crappy trans.
CTS-V is limited? Limited to what? Test numbers compared to the 797 hp Hellcat REDEYE are below.
On factory rubber the Hellcat REDEYE cant even outrun a CTS-V according to Car and Driver, much less a ZL1.
I know much of this is because the REDEYE cant hook up well. But I am showing this to make a point.

The CTS-V and the 707hp Hellcat have nearly identical power to weight ratios and according to Car and Driver test data on street tires they run neck and neck as the math suggest they should.
Not my numbers theirs....so you can argue with them.

However none of the cars mentioned above (REDEYE included) has a superior power to weight ratio to a Z06.
So unless the laws of physics have changed this talk of 707hp Hellcats running with C7 Z06's, Viper TA's, C6 ZR-1s and even C6 Z06's is pretty silly.
REDEYES would be better suited if you want to run even with a C7 Z06, and even then you best expect some problems if the guy can drive.

2019 Hellcat Redeye
C/D TEST RESULTS
Zero to 60 mph: 3.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.8 sec
Zero to 170 mph: 27.7 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.1 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.4 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.5 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.8 sec @ 125 mph
Top speed (drag limited, mfr's claim): 203 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 152 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.95 g

2016 CTS-V
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.5 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 13.6 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 17.4 sec
Zero to 170 mph: 25.8 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 3.8 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.0 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.8 sec @ 124 mph
Top speed (drag ltd, mfr's claim): 200 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 149 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.98 g

2017 Camaro ZL1
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.4 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 12.4 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 18.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 3.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 1.8 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.5 sec @ 125 mph
Top speed (drag limited, C/D est): 195 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 143 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.04 g

Last edited by dar02081961; 06-28-2019 at 05:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dar02081961:
23/C8Z (06-28-2019), Harbgrogan (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:17 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
You're def right about the tranny. Was ready for the A8 in my last 2015 6.2 GMC to blow on me (already had the fluid swap TSB performed) until it got totaled. I am hoping the new 10 speed is the problem solver - it certainly feels legit in my Raptor.

Unfortunately the C7 couldn't get the 10 speed auto. THe ZL1 got it instead. The ZL1 had all the smart engineers and left the drunks to do the z06 LOL. ZL1 is a better engineered car. Even though it's heavy, i would say it will hurt most z06's on the road. It has the cooling, the power (because of the cooling) and the longevity (because of the cooling) so it's a better track car too. Too bad the visibility is horrendous otherwise i might have gotten that instead of the C7Z. At least the C7Z turns more heads. My favorite part about owning the car. But it's scary to think about how many fast machines are out there that can hurt feelings.

Like the redeye, GTR's especially. I don't even think about running one, even if it looks stock. For all i know the car runs 8s lol. And it looks stock.

A CTS-V is good too, but limited because of the trans. I remember riding in my buddies. And he went to go for a shift and a message on the cluster read, "shift denied" or something like that, i was literally rolling in my seat laughing. lol ******* GM can't get most things right.

Let's see how well they make the C8. About 3 weeks left before we see the greatest corvette ever made!!!
Old 06-28-2019, 07:45 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

I have both , just picked up a 19 wide body manual . These cars are a riot to drive , they are BIG and heavy but fun . Not sure if i have a factory freak but in all honesty , the brakes on this car are totally amazing . Other than that the cars are so different . Large , roomy heavy vs nimble , fast light . I love them both for what they are and what they do . The Hellcat is no slouch
Z0HS1CK (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 11:45 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,773 Likes on 3,184 Posts

my buddy having a house warming tomorrow. A yellow 19 Redeye ooooooooh... lol great cars but they are boats. That Redeye is an A8 and is only slightly slower than mt C7Z. On a prepped surface and high octane I'm sure it could take it but the way it sits it does not.

Noe that blue HC on the other hand? That is a low 9 second mkd 140s car. Looks can be deceviing.

Zoom in on his plate lol. And it does...

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 06-28-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:32 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kazman1960
I have both , just picked up a 19 wide body manual . These cars are a riot to drive , they are BIG and heavy but fun . Not sure if i have a factory freak but in all honesty , the brakes on this car are totally amazing . Other than that the cars are so different . Large , roomy heavy vs nimble , fast light . I love them both for what they are and what they do . The Hellcat is no slouch

Dude post pics!!!

I just saw widebody hellcat charger lol. I'm in love.

But I do agree a big heavy car with a manual will be a handful that's why in my opinion it's better to go with the zf. It's better.

It's a wicked trans. Almost immediate up and downshift like a dct. Can shift fast at any rpm not just when your right foot is pinned to the floor. Some people dont understand lol. I guess they never will haha.

Post pics of the widebody beast please!!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:35 AM
Kazman1960
Pro

Dude post pics!!!

I just saw widebody hellcat charger lol. I'm in love.

But I do agree a big heavy car with a manual will be a handful that's why in my opinion it's better to go with the zf. It's better.

It's a wicked trans. Almost immediate up and downshift like a dct. Can shift fast at any rpm not just when your right foot is pinned to the floor. Some people dont understand lol. I guess they never will haha.

Post pics of the widebody beast please!!
Heres the complete stable . All cars for some reason are white lol ,all cars are Manual trans ( Wifes stipulation )

The following 2 users liked this post by Kazman1960:
23/C8Z (06-29-2019), Z0HS1CK (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Heres the complete stable . All cars for some reason are white lol ,all cars are Manual trans ( Wifes stipulation )

Damn man. That's it man. You won lol.

Besides the other guy with the lambo, I think you have the perfect garage.

You have 3 amazing cars. 2 of which I wanna own, 1 I already do hahaha.

I really love the mopars. I get it now. Back in the 13-14, when during my gto/c6 days I always thought those cars are crap, why are my buddies buying them etc. But now I understand. And they gotten better since that time.

I want one now lol. But then the gt500 is calling me too lol.

Idk what to do!!!!! Lol
Old 06-29-2019, 11:22 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Now there's a true car guy, not just a Corvette guy. Gorgeous cars. Ours are all white too.
Z0HS1CK (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Damn man. That's it man. You won lol.

Besides the other guy with the lambo, I think you have the perfect garage.

You have 3 amazing cars. 2 of which I wanna own, 1 I already do hahaha.

I really love the mopars. I get it now. Back in the 13-14, when during my gto/c6 days I always thought those cars are crap, why are my buddies buying them etc. But now I understand. And they gotten better since that time.

I want one now lol. But then the gt500 is calling me too lol.

Idk what to do!!!!! Lol
Thanks Man . All i ever do is work , no holidays , no cottages just work ,so , kinda figured a plan . Try and get the best of the American Big 3 at whatever was available at the time with the money i have available .
When i was younger lol , i always wanted a 911 , then back in 2008 ish , i wanted a Viper , in 2010 i traded my 1997 Cobra on the Shelby , love this car . In 2015 i had money available , was gonna buy the Viper or Hellcat and then we saw pics on the C7 Z06 .
We didn't even know what it was !!! Thought it was a Ferrari at first , when we saw it was a Vette , no more Viper or Hellcat , had to have the Vette . Ordered the White to match the Shelby , love this car as well .
Fast forward to about a month ago . Was seriously thinking of a 2020 Shelby , then , to my Wife's horror , NO MANUAL trans !!! End of that plan .
A friend of mine told me theres this White Hellcat at a small town dealer that i should take a look at , White Manual Trans , so , i did the inevitable , i went at looked at it lol , two weeks later , its here .
Kinda hurt my retirement plans but .....what the hell ,i guess keep on working for a few more years
Harbgrogan (07-01-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:02 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Now there's a true car guy, not just a Corvette guy. Gorgeous cars. Ours are all white too.
Thanks DevilDog , true , i love em all . They all bring a smile to my face when driving them , they all have their own Character and all get Thumbs up , mostly from Kids which is great to see .
Old 06-29-2019, 03:53 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Thanks Man . All i ever do is work , no holidays , no cottages just work ,so , kinda figured a plan . Try and get the best of the American Big 3 at whatever was available at the time with the money i have available .
When i was younger lol , i always wanted a 911 , then back in 2008 ish , i wanted a Viper , in 2010 i traded my 1997 Cobra on the Shelby , love this car . In 2015 i had money available , was gonna buy the Viper or Hellcat and then we saw pics on the C7 Z06 .
We didn't even know what it was !!! Thought it was a Ferrari at first , when we saw it was a Vette , no more Viper or Hellcat , had to have the Vette . Ordered the White to match the Shelby , love this car as well .
Fast forward to about a month ago . Was seriously thinking of a 2020 Shelby , then , to my Wife's horror , NO MANUAL trans !!! End of that plan .
A friend of mine told me theres this White Hellcat at a small town dealer that i should take a look at , White Manual Trans , so , i did the inevitable , i went at looked at it lol , two weeks later , its here .
Kinda hurt my retirement plans but .....what the hell ,i guess keep on working for a few more years
You're doing it the right way my buddy!!! lol

Work hard and stay open minded. You have 3 totally different cars where most owners wouldn't even think about owning one of the others, while having one of the others LOL, if that makes sense. But you caught all 3, i commend you for that.

Love the mopars, love the mustangs.So you have 13-14 GT500? Did you see the new VMP gen3r blower for it? Mustanglifestyle, the youtuber, just had the company install that blower onto his GT500. I love his content. It really makes me wanna own a 13/14 GT500.

I wanna upgrade from the C7Z to the 2020 GT500. But i know there will be more people driving those than me seeing C7Z's now. I like having the attention lol. Moreso than performance now. I guess i'm getting old haha. I don't know if the new GT500 will turn as many heads as my Z. But never know. It might.

I know the C8Z, when it comes out will. At least if it will look anywhere near to what the renderings are looking like. This will shape up to be the greatest bargain supercar of all time. And yes we can finally call the corvette a supercar with the C8!!!

Good times to be a car person.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

You're doing it the right way my buddy!!! lol

Work hard and stay open minded. You have 3 totally different cars where most owners wouldn't even think about owning one of the others, while having one of the others LOL, if that makes sense. But you caught all 3, i commend you for that.

Love the mopars, love the mustangs.So you have 13-14 GT500? Did you see the new VMP gen3r blower for it? Mustanglifestyle, the youtuber, just had the company install that blower onto his GT500. I love his content. It really makes me wanna own a 13/14 GT500.

I wanna upgrade from the C7Z to the 2020 GT500. But i know there will be more people driving those than me seeing C7Z's now. I like having the attention lol. Moreso than performance now. I guess i'm getting old haha. I don't know if the new GT500 will turn as many heads as my Z. But never know. It might.

I know the C8Z, when it comes out will. At least if it will look anywhere near to what the renderings are looking like. This will shape up to be the greatest bargain supercar of all time. And yes we can finally call the corvette a supercar with the C8!!!

Good times to be a car person.
Great times indeed to be a Car Nut . The Shelby is a 2010 , i had a pulley and intake installed and tuned about 7 years back, the car makes 540 rwhp so its not a slouch either
Someone dropped the price of the new GT500 yesterday , cant remember where i saw it though , $73,000 and change PLUS $18,500 for the Trac Pac .
I know where i live these will be extremely rare .The Challenger is still a Muscle Car though and thats what we wanted this time around . ( I did have my sights set on the Orange or Green GT500 with Trac pac though )

Quick Reply: Hellcat and Z06