C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

3 bent rims on my C7 Z06!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:01 PM
golfbone
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

Default 3 bent rims on my C7 Z06!

A few months ago I was losing air on a couple of tires on my 2016 Z06 vert. I had 15K so I replaced the tires. Still losing air. Was told I had a cracked rim.....replaced the cracked rim. Still losing air on another tire and then....after a month they figured out that this rim was cracked to so I replaced that one. Registered a complaint with GM then. Now....1 thousand miles later I took the car in for surface because it was making a funny noise at 50+ mph and the mechanic drove it and put in on a lift afterward and showed me that I had 3 bent rims. Car now has 17K miles. Called GM to register another complaint but my car is at the dealer and wondering if this is a widespread problem and what folks have done. I have hit no pot holes or bumps or anything and have no damaged tires. THis is my 4th Corvette and I've never had a bent rim on any of them before! I will not be able to deal with this problem much longer because I need a car I can rely on. Not sure what to do.

Last edited by golfbone; 04-15-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 PM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by golfbone
A few months ago ...t my car is at the dealer and wondering if this is a widespread problem and what folks have done. I have hit no pot holes or bumps or anything and have no damaged tires. THis is my 4th Corvette and I've never had a bent rim on any of them before! I will not be able to deal with this problem much longer because I need a car I can rely on. Not sure what to do.
Do a title-only search of this forum for 'bent'. Then read, read, read.

Last edited by LarryFL; 04-15-2019 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Welcome to the club, hardly an exclusive club. Sorry for your troubles
Mikec7z (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

A few months ago I was losing air on a couple of tires on my 2016 Z06 vert. I had 15K so I replaced the tires. Still losing air. Was told I had a cracked rim.....replaced the cracked rim. Still losing air on another tire and then....after a month they figured out that this rim was cracked to so I replaced that one. Registered a complaint with GM then. Now....1 thousand miles later I took the car in for surface because it was making a funny noise at 50+ mph and the mechanic drove it and put in on a lift afterward and showed me that I had 3 bent rims. Car now has 17K miles. Called GM to register another complaint but my car is at the dealer and wondering if this is a widespread problem and what folks have done. I have hit no pot holes or bumps or anything and have no damaged tires. THis is my 4th Corvette and I've never had a bent rim on any of them before! I will not be able to deal with this problem much longer because I need a car I can rely on. Not sure what to do.
When you read all the bent and cracked wheel threads as another poster has suggested you will find the only true answer to the problem is replace the OEM wheels with quality forged ones and ditch the run-flats for regular Continentals or equivalents. Unfortunately, this is a widespread and discouraging fact of life with these cars. There has been much discussion of this since last August when I posted the problem I had with my '16 ZO6 convertible. Turns out that owners have been discovering they had cracked and bent wheels and didn't even know it until the crack gets into the barrel and the leak starts.

BTW, GM doesn't care about the problem and will not formally acknowledge it. The cost and bad press makes it too high a price for them to pay.

Last edited by tertiumquid; 04-15-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Mikec7z (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

hello and welcome to the group.

If the c8 does not have forged wheels, we have a long line of people who swear they will become part time assassins targeting whoever it is who makes these amazing wheel choices for our 100,000 dollar cars.

If you would like to join the team, contact Sally, shes in charge of HR, she will get you signed in. Be patient, she is a little backed up at the moment.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
hello and welcome to the group.

If the c8 does not have forged wheels, we have a long line of people who swear they will become part time assassins targeting whoever it is who makes these amazing wheel choices for our 100,000 dollar cars.

If you would like to join the team, contact Sally, shes in charge of HR, she will get you signed in. Be patient, she is a little backed up at the moment.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:21 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

which wheels do you have on the car?
Old 04-16-2019, 11:30 AM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

OEM Z06 wheels are **** quality. It sucks and the only thing you can do is replace them or risk bending/cracking as long as you own your car.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:11 PM
golfbone
Pro

Who is Sally and how do I get in touch with her. Have no idea of what you are referring to with HR but want to do what i can to move the dial in the right direction. Have already lodged a complaint to GM
Old 04-16-2019, 01:11 PM
golfbone
Pro

I have the black Z06 wheels.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Who is Sally and how do I get in touch with her. Have no idea of what you are referring to with HR but want to do what i can to move the dial in the right direction. Have already lodged a complaint to GM
HR means human resources, in large organizations there is an HR person...

it was a joke implying there are so many of us mad about the wheels that we have an organization with so many members, sally is currently backed up.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:48 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
When you read all the bent and cracked wheel threads as another poster has suggested you will find the only true answer to the problem is replace the OEM wheels with quality forged ones and ditch the run-flats for regular Continentals or equivalents. Unfortunately, this is a widespread and discouraging fact of life with these cars. There has been much discussion of this since last August when I posted the problem I had with my '16 ZO6 convertible. Turns out that owners have been discovering they had cracked and bent wheels and didn't even know it until the crack gets into the barrel and the leak starts.

BTW, GM doesn't care about the problem and will not formally acknowledge it. The cost and bad press makes it too high a price for them to pay.
Already replaced one of my fronts (probably from a track day and hitting the apexes a little too hard) and I suspect left rear is slightly damaged. This is my 10th Vette and the only one I ever had problems with factory wheels on - and I used to be a regular track rat, not just occasional like now...
Old 04-16-2019, 07:35 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

I had a slow leak in a rear rim and when we took the wheel off to inspect it, it was cracked on the inside of the barrel. Replace the wheels as I had planned and 3 of the 4 were cracked. Not going to warranty them out as will most likely happen again. Now Forgelines with Toyos

Last edited by AZGASSER; 04-16-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Mikec7z (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Chevy might as well just have the Forgeline option. Save the extra step of moving the tires to new rims.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 04-16-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 PM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

AZGASSER - tell us a little about the roads you drive on? How do you think the rims got bent?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:14 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Don't forget to lodge a complaint with the NTSA as well. I think GM will only act on this when forced.
BlueDevlZ06 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

its believed GM does this on purpose due the the recurring income of wheels and tires from chevy stores.

If you have to buy a new wheel and tire... are you really going to order the new tire somewhere else? You'll get it from the chevy store too.

They could offer forged rims, they could have a 4000 dollar up charge and we would pay it... but over the life of the car, GM makes more on wheels and tires when the cast rims fail. Those cast aluminum wheels cost GM under 100 dollars a wheel.... and ive heard even under 50 a wheel.

Then they sell for around a grand a piece. All profit.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-16-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 PM
S.FLA..Z06
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

I’ve quite a few story’s like this over the time I've owned , i live in S Fla temps are Hawt as Ballz and Roads for most part are Smoove like butter (Hoping not to jinx myself , knock on wood) but ive not had an issue and i beat the Snot outve my gurl !

I’d also like to hear about your Temp’s as well as you as your roads , im assume they are in A cold area and have w potholes! W decently low temps i can see a-lot of wheels bending!

If i was to lets say bend a wheel i certainly would not buy Oe i would get one Rep ata time if need be!
Save’s $$$Moohlah’s and who knows some reps are better than oe at timez!

My 0’02 cents

Neil

Last edited by S.FLA..Z06; 04-16-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:19 PM
Deelo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 bent rims on my c7 ZO6

I have same issue I got a lawyer I can give you info deelo1126 @yahoo.com just picked up my car today after 2 plus weeks they had it.

Get notified of new replies

To 3 bent rims on my C7 Z06!

Quick Reply: 3 bent rims on my C7 Z06!