C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DSX low side install question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:52 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Default DSX low side install question

@DSteck @DSX Tuning

Question for Dave or anyone else who has installed the DSX low side.

Im not 100% sure on the drilling location on the tank, and I surely dont want to drill incorrectly. The picture in the instructions isnt clear to me and I dont have the label shown on the tank as a point of reference...

The instructions say there is a rounded part of the back of the tank that becomes flat, and you want to drill/tap right where it becomes flat. Using my picture below, the flat area on the back of the tank is where I have 1 dot marked. This more or less matches with how I view DSX's picture. This tap location is really high on the tank though? If you look at Dave's final install picture, the fuel line looks like it sits completely flush with the aluminum bracing, which means the spot where 2 dots are drawn would be the tap point. This is lower on the tank, but I only have a rounded edge there, I cant feel any flat surface at all. If the 2 dot spot is correct, then why not the 3 dot spot (My marking). It sits even lower in the tank sump and will give better clearance for when the rear subframe needs removed.

Thanks to all in advance

DSX picture of install location

DSX instructions

The areas I am referencing
Old 07-18-2019, 03:56 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

@FYREANT ???
The following users liked this post:
FYREANT (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:25 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Hope these help. I drilled a little to the right of the furthest right yellow dot in your pic

Last edited by FYREANT; 07-18-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Harbgrogan (01-21-2021)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:30 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

You don’t want to tap anywhere that will be rounded. You need the tap location to be flat. Thats why I tapped it in a slightly different place than where the instructions showed
Old 07-18-2019, 09:20 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Thank you greatly. I ended up a touch lower than you, wanted to get the sump as low as possible but seems to be sealed. Ill add a couple gallons tomorrow

Harbgrogan (01-21-2021)
Old 08-02-2020, 07:00 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I’ll be adding a low side soon. From my search this is probably one of the best install photos up to date for tapping the gas tank. Curious thou, Atljar, what kind of material are you using to seal around the tank and bolt and how it’s been holding up so far?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:18 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Kouasupra
Hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I’ll be adding a low side soon. From my search this is probably one of the best install photos up to date for tapping the gas tank. Curious thou, Atljar, what kind of material are you using to seal around the tank and bolt and how it’s been holding up so far?
The dsx lowside system comes with a syringe of sealant that you apply to the threads of the fitting. I’ve done several lowside installs on the dsx system and it works great. I did my first one 3+ years ago and no problems to date.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:15 AM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ss2z06
The dsx lowside system comes with a syringe of sealant that you apply to the threads of the fitting. I’ve done several lowside installs on the dsx system and it works great. I did my first one 3+ years ago and no problems to date.
Thank you very much. It’s more ensuring when they supply the correct sealant for the fitting. The DSX low side kit probably seem to the easiest kit to install compare to other.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:54 AM
Jackjam
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

It’s a good kit just sad to think you are paying $900 ish for some lines and the controller thing. The pump can be had for 60 bucks.

I installed mine in my driveway, no problems a year later.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:33 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jackjam
It’s a good kit just sad to think you are paying $900 ish for some lines and the controller thing. The pump can be had for 60 bucks.
The pump is the least expensive part of the kit. Those CNC aluminum T line tap, billet filter, 180 bends etc etc arent cheap. Combined with the proprietary controller, then you get a price that is very justified IMO.

Originally Posted by Kouasupra
Thank you very much. It’s more ensuring when they supply the correct sealant for the fitting. The DSX low side kit probably seem to the easiest kit to install compare to other.
It comes from Dave in a syringe, in the kit. Its kinda like a pipe sealant that is fuel resistant. 1 year on my install, and no issues.
Kouasupra (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 05:50 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by atljar
The pump is the least expensive part of the kit. Those CNC aluminum T line tap, billet filter, 180 bends etc etc arent cheap. Combined with the proprietary controller, then you get a price that is very justified IMO.

It comes from Dave in a syringe, in the kit. Its kinda like a pipe sealant that is fuel resistant. 1 year on my install, and no issues.

Thank you for verifying this.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:56 PM
Jackjam
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
The pump is the least expensive part of the kit. Those CNC aluminum T line tap, billet filter, 180 bends etc etc arent cheap. Combined with the proprietary controller, then you get a price that is very justified IMO
It’s still overpriced. The adapter and controller are the only unique parts, you can build the lines/pump/filter for 300ish.

Get notified of new replies

To DSX low side install question