C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Eos twisted steel catless downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 07:42 PM
Tom Ross
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 18 Posts

You have to take the studs out also not just the bolts just a fyi
Old 10-04-2023, 09:34 PM
itsShadowBlue
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the sound level compared to headers? It's hard to tell through videos but i've noticed that the downpipes retain the tone of the original exhaust (which I prefer) whereas headers make it more raspy.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:25 AM
mdformula350
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 364 Posts

I didnt loosen any manifold bolts, or engine mounts, or take off any wheels.
you just need to remove 3 of the 4 studs usually leaving the top left one in i believe.
I agree i was using extensions, swivels, 1/4, 3/8, breaker bars, wrenches, etc...
once I had what worked it went buy much easier.
also i used plenty of penetrating fluid and let it sit overnight.

for sound it definitely adds loudness, yeah didnt seem to add the long tube header noise i think ur talking about.
its just louder and you can tell its going to help the flow. im happy with the results.
Old 10-06-2023, 01:01 PM
Bruceham
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I was looking at a set of Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers with Green catted x-pipe, but the price is crazy, $2800 + $700 installation = $3500 for $35 HP gain? That's $100 per HP .
(C7 Stingray with TVS2650, Performance CAI & AWE Muffler).
These EOS cat-less down-pipes seem like the answer, since I want to keep the secondary cats with x-pipe for the smell issue.

My questions are:
- How much louder will it get? Currently, I have an AWE Touring Axel Back muffler, and it sounds perfect.
- With the primary cats gone, but the secondary cats still in place, how's the smell?
- Anyone with some hard data on the HP gains with this configuration?
Old 10-06-2023, 04:04 PM
9sec
Melting Slicks

Received 752 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruceham
I was looking at a set of Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers with Green catted x-pipe, but the price is crazy, $2800 + $700 installation = $3500 for $35 HP gain? That's $100 per HP .
These EOS cat-less down-pipes seem like the answer, since I want to keep the secondary cats with x-pipe for the smell issue.

My questions are:
- How much louder will it get? Currently, I have an AWE Touring Axel Back muffler, and it sounds perfect.
- With the primary cats gone, but the secondary cats still in place, how's the smell?
when you go catless downpipes you will need O2 foulers to keep any codes from popping. as for noise any cats will dampen the sound. im completely catless and cold start up wakes the dead! once im warmed up I close the npp and cruise in comfort. I dont really have any smell short of initial startup
Old 10-12-2023, 09:26 PM
itsShadowBlue
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruceham

My questions are:
Just added the EOS catless downpipes with the EOS catless xpipe. I was running just a muffler delete prior to this, and let me tell you it's at least 3x louder. I expected it to be loud but I didn't think it would be this crazy. I love it! The big negative is smell. There is a ton of fuel smell at idle so beware of that. Also definitely feel a difference in the throttle response, likely due to getting rid of all that back pressure. If you daily it, I personally think you should consider the sound level and especially the smell before going through with it.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (10-18-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 09:41 PM
Bruceham
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, thanks for the info.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:53 PM
Harbgrogan
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

They are a significantly cheaper alternative to headers with near the same performance imo.

I should have left the rear cats in place, the smell can be bad.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:13 PM
emfollin
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If I don’t want any of the smell issues, is it better to leave the primary cat or secondary cat? It looks like with EOS products, you could do a catless downpipe or catless xpipe. Sound would be my primary goal. Short of going full catless long tubes, I doubt power gains are worth mentioning.

Quick Reply: Eos twisted steel catless downpipe