C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Can 2018 ZR1 top Porsche's new ring record of 6:47 in their GT2 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:23 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I agree. You'll look far and wide to find more of a Corvette homer than me, and you won't find him. And I don't think the ZR has a chance of matching that time. If the ZR lays down a time with "6" at the front of it, I think the Corvette family should regard that as pretty well done with this current platform.

The Porsche run is simply stupendous.

Hat tip to the boys in Stuttgart.

Originally Posted by lrobe22
I think a 6:55-7:05 is likely. What a great run by Porsche and what a great time to be a car guy.
agree with these ^^
Old 09-29-2017, 02:13 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
is nearly as silly as making a 707 hp Cherokee.
As a GC fan, I can assure there is NOTHING wrong with throwing a Hellcat in a Jeep.

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/

The fact that we are even debating any Corvette variant possibly competing with the best Porsche has to offer is a testament to what the C7 team has achieved... But let's not fool ourselves or get too greedy... We should not expect the ZR1 to beat the best Porsche has to offer, nor should we be upset if/when it doesn't.
The GS punches WAY above its weight around a track.
It's a Sportscar...not a Muscle Car, not an Exotic.

Originally Posted by themonk
I for one don't compare like model to like model, I compare price to price of similar cars. Of course a 300k car is going to do better than one a third of it's price. It's asinine to compare top of the line to another top of the line when there's a price difference of double, absolutely NO ONE is cross shopping a ZR1 and GT3 RS, not a chance. In fact unless you've owned high end Porsche's before, good luck buying a new GT3 RS.

I believe that a Corvette with a base price of what, 58k should compete with a Cayman, not a 911. If I have 60k in my pocket I'm not looking at brand new 911's so why even compare the two? I never understood why people compare models based on "well they're kinda the same", makes no sense.
This brings up a very good point....HOW to measure?

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
agree with these ^^
I'm shocked...SHOCKED!!!

Old 09-29-2017, 09:25 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't think the ZR-1 will beat the Porsche time, mainly because the car Porsche used to set the new record had been optioned-out for this task. It had only one seat, a titanium roll cage, no radio/heater/ac. In other words, it was a 'ringer' to go put down a quick time. Chevy "Could" build a car for setting a quick time, but how much is it worth to do that? I mean, come on, this Porsche is not going to be used on the street, and in the rare instances when it is, the driver is going to be alone, due to one seat only. I don't think Chevy would ever offer a Corvette option to delete every non-essential item just to make it lighter for a track-assault. Just my $.02
The following 2 users liked this post by Blue666's:
skank (09-30-2017), sunsalem (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 10:23 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

I for one don't compare like model to like model, I compare price to price of similar cars. Of course a 300k car is going to do better than one a third of it's price. It's asinine to compare top of the line to another top of the line when there's a price difference of double, absolutely NO ONE is cross shopping a ZR1 and GT3 RS, not a chance. In fact unless you've owned high end Porsche's before, good luck buying a new GT3 RS.

It's not at all a given that a car triple the price will out compete one that is 1/3 it's price... Not sure why you would say otherwise. We have quite a few examples where the GS and Z06 and even the Stingray in Z51 trim have bested cars double and even triple their prices (depending on what metrics are important to you, IE lap times, drag times, figure 8, 0-60, etc.).

Not comparing equally performing cars is asinine.

Now, the cross shopping deal is a whole other debate in itself, but to your point I mostly agree with you that cross shopping of, for example, a Ferrari or Lambo versus a closely competing and likely besting for some models Z06 is just not going to happen. No matter if the Z06 or ZR1 bests everything Ferrari makes except the LaFerrari, F12 TDF and MAYBE the 488GTB. It's just not going to happen.

I believe that a Corvette with a base price of what, 58k should compete with a Cayman, not a 911. If I have 60k in my pocket I'm not looking at brand new 911's so why even compare the two? I never understood why people compare models based on "well they're kinda the same", makes no sense.

The only people that even compared a then current Cayman to a Z51 Ray was Top Gear, and it was a blowout. All the others compared it to a 911. While I agree with you on the money in hand part, the point is the two are close to equally performing, and that fact should be made very known to everyone because there absolutely is some people (not many, but some) who will choose a Z51 over a 911 based on the performance per dollar. Now, I also feel like as we move further and further up into the elite, those performance per dollar shoppers diminish more and more once we move into Ferrari and Lambo type territory. But I definitely know for a fact that people cross shopped the Corvette and 911's, because there are many instances of it on P car forums.

Last edited by \Boost Monkey/; 09-29-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:16 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Nick Tandy (their LMP1 program driver) and Lars Kern (factory driver) both took turns.

What does me driving it have to do with anything? Would you argue the C7 variants have superior handling to the 911 variants?

I wouldn't.

What would be different here, then?

Unless the Zr1 gets a completely new chassis and completely overhauled suspension (which I'm pretty sure it won't, likely component changes within) it would be hard to make the argument otherwise.
I won't because I know the answer.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

It's not at all a given that a car triple the price will out compete one that is 1/3 it's price... Not sure why you would say otherwise. We have quite a few examples where the GS and Z06 and even the Stingray in Z51 trim have bested cars double and even triple their prices (depending on what metrics are important to you, IE lap times, drag times, figure 8, 0-60, etc.).

Not comparing equally performing cars is asinine.

Now, the cross shopping deal is a whole other debate in itself, but to your point I mostly agree with you that cross shopping of, for example, a Ferrari or Lambo versus a closely competing and likely besting for some models Z06 is just not going to happen. No matter if the Z06 or ZR1 bests everything Ferrari makes except the LaFerrari, F12 TDF and MAYBE the 488GTB. It's just not going to happen.

The only people that even compared a then current Cayman to a Z51 Ray was Top Gear, and it was a blowout. All the others compared it to a 911. While I agree with you on the money in hand part, the point is the two are close to equally performing, and that fact should be made very known to everyone because there absolutely is some people (not many, but some) who will choose a Z51 over a 911 based on the performance per dollar. Now, I also feel like as we move further and further up into the elite, those performance per dollar shoppers diminish more and more once we move into Ferrari and Lambo type territory. But I definitely know for a fact that people cross shopped the Corvette and 911's, because there are many instances of it on P car forums.
So then if what you say is true why does it come as a surprise when a 570 GT beats a GS on the track and strip?

It's funny when a car costing 3 times as much as a Corvette beats it in every measurable performance category people say "well it costs more" but when a GS beats a 911 on track people are all "Go GS Go!, yeah, now that's what I'm talking about!"? If you're going to pump the Corvette when it beats something more expensive then you're going to have to take your lumps when it gets beat by something more expensive, don't make any excuses period.

It's just like when Hello Kitty owners say "haha the Fat Cat is quicker than the Corvette in the 1/4" but when a Corvette owner says "let's take them on a road course" Hello Kitty owners say "well it's not a road course car"???? WTF? You can't cherry pick your events, it's either all or nothing or don't compare the two, so just like when comparing the Corvette to higher priced sports cars, don't go beating your chest when it beats it in a category or two but then when it (the Corvette) gets it's *** handed to it by something like a 911 or GT3 RS say "well it costs more" or any other excuse for that matter.

Bottom line, if you're going to play with the big dogs and get a beat down don't go crying to your mamma. That's why there are weight classes in boxing, stay within yours.
The following users liked this post:
TARANTULA (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 01:21 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

It's funny when a car costing 3 times as much as a Corvette beats it in every measurable performance category people say "well it costs more" but when a GS beats a 911 on track people are all "Go GS Go!, yeah, now that's what I'm talking about!"? If you're going to pump the Corvette when it beats something more expensive then you're going to have to take your lumps when it gets beat by something more expensive, don't make any excuses period.
I'm afraid you're too late to make any sense. The first tendency to blame is practically an instinct now . . . south of your border at least.

Last edited by Dethsupp0rt; 09-29-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:32 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I for one, just don't care. I kind of agree with James May, every time a road car gets "tuned" for the Ring, they make it a worse car for the real world. And really, who the hell wants to daily drive a GT2rs?

Yes it's fun to play what if, but really, it's just mental masturbation.
Your opinion differs from GM: their explanation as to why they test at the Nurburgring is that the track has almost every type of corner imaginable and if they can get a car to work well there there shouldn't be too many problems anywhere else. And of course now there is the competition among the manufacturers for the fastest time. I like it.

As far as how much power contributes to the lap, just find out how fast the GS is compared to the Z06 and that should give a pretty good indication. I can't imagine that power isn't a pretty big factor given that there is one straight that must be something like 40 seconds of WOT.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They will want to go out with a bang on the last front engine most powerful Vette so I imagine they will be testing the crap out of it to get it to set a lap record prior to releasing the production. GT2RS is an absolutely amazing car and I am not surprised it took the track record, I tried getting one but the 918 and 911R owners have first dibs on the cars so there is 0 chance. I have put my deposit on the zr1.

Would be nice to have it beside my Dodge demon :-) Fastest strip car and zr1 hopefully fastest track car

Amazing times, cars are becoming absolutely insane!!!!!
Old 09-29-2017, 06:27 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

So then if what you say is true why does it come as a surprise when a 570 GT beats a GS on the track and strip?

It's just like when Hello Kitty owners say "haha the Fat Cat is quicker than the Corvette in the 1/4" but when a Corvette owner says "let's take them on a road course" Hello Kitty owners say "well it's not a road course car"???? WTF? You can't cherry pick your events, it's either all or nothing or don't compare the two, so just like when comparing the Corvette to higher priced sports cars, don't go beating your chest when it beats it in a category or two but then when it (the Corvette) gets it's *** handed to it by something like a 911 or GT3 RS say "well it costs more" or any other excuse for that matter.

Bottom line, if you're going to play with the big dogs and get a beat down don't go crying to your mamma. That's why there are weight classes in boxing, stay within yours.
Are you arguing against yourself or something, or are there invisible posts I'm not seeing? LOL

No one said anything about a GS beating EVERY CAR that costs more than it, and I certainly don't say "Go GS go!" Any time it beats anything. .........I don't even own a GS. Nor do I give a **** when it gets bested by another car. If you're referring to the Corvette crowd in general, then ok, reply to the Corvette homers, not me.

Read a few pages back and note to yourself for future use that I was the one arguing FOR the P car, and P cars in general. I make one pro GS post and there you are to scoop it up and run. The best part is, I'm one of the least Corvette homers you will find on this forum.

All that bullshit aside, the fact still remains that your rant doesn't address anything from my post that the GS (and every C7 variant) DOES best cars (not every car...) double and triple their price, which is a great achievement, and why the C7 is the first Corvette I have ever owned. And for the double and triple price cars it does NOT best... I don't know why anyone would care because of the huge price delta... it should be expected that a car 1/3 price doesn't beat it. Why be dissappointed?
Old 09-30-2017, 12:55 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I see the fun in competing cars w/similar performance against each other. But in the real world most buyers have a budget and they stick to that budget. So number one priority is I am going to spend no more than $xxx,xxx. Given that actual fact, I would love to see tests that match price on a Driver's car contest. The Cayman S costs the same as a Z06. So they should run together. The GT2 RS and the Ford GT and Ferrari 488 GTB and the Ferrari 812 Superfast are in the same price range so should be compared. The GS should run against the standard Cayman or the non S Boxter or the 350R, etc.

Last edited by pkincy; 09-30-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:41 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

These comparisons are hard to do...
Do we measure based on MSRP?
Or do we measure based on similar performance times?
And, if so, which ones?

I don't have an all-encompassing solution that fits every situation.
It is what it is...there is no right or wrong answer IMO.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:41 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Why can't you guys just enjoy these cars for what they are?

Quick Reply: Can 2018 ZR1 top Porsche's new ring record of 6:47 in their GT2 RS?