C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 01:24 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
The ZR1 seems like just 'more' or what we've already been given.
It's a car trying to redeem the screw-ups GM had with the Z06.
I also think it's a tragedy that Tadge would go on record saying that the 'best handling' is the GS, when there are two more expensive models on the showroom floor.
Tadge says a lot of less than accurate things and often spews whatever he thinks the listener wants to hear.
Anything he said should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:42 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Well before I come to a conclusion, good or bad, I will wait until I see it perform, hell, I don't even know what I would do with 755 bhp, it's not as if I go to the track every weekend and even if I did I sure as hell wouldn't risk my $140k making payments on that won't be covered by insurance if anything happens to it car.

Now I don't know if it had anything to do with OP's post, probably not but I'm reconsidering whether or not I need a car this intense. The interior is pretty much the same as my '14, I probably wouldn't have got the ZTK option so I'll be "stuck" with something in my mind isn't the top performer so does it make sense to me to buy one....hmmmmm, sadly probably not.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:42 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Old 12-04-2017, 08:55 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

As a Z06 owner that likes to go to the track, I would offer this view.
If you want to make a ZRI, make it the best track car. No convertible, fix any cooling issues vs Z06, strip the interior and upgrade the suspension in any way you could. At the same time develop some solutions for current/future Z06 owners to solve cooling problems, that should have never been a problem for those that track their cars, A8 or M7. Make the ZR1 the equivalent of the Viper, a good track weapon but stupid on the street.
That shouldn't have been much more expensive than what they have done.
I won't spring for the ZR1. I will upgrade my cooling a little, tune my suspension-DSC, and get some 18" Forgelines and run slicks. I don't need efficiency at 180MPH. The small wing on the ZR1 is not going to help me in 60MPH corners.
I will have spent less than trading in.
And if a ZR1 driver ever takes his car to our track here in SLC, we will see who made the better track car choice.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

OP: Too bad you couldn't state your opinion without the dick ageist crap. I'm not yet to the point in my life that you are so willing to mock, but some day I will be, and so will you. Hope when you get there you don't have to ignore jackasses on the forums like yourself who mock people because of their age.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:41 PM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The C6 Z06X was a concept car. It had no new technology that increased horsepower or shaved weight. They took a street legal Z06 and installed a roll cage making the car unsuitable for the street. The only thing the Z06X had that would increase performance was a wing stuck on the back. If GM had produced a Z06X that was identical to the concept car, they would have a car with serial number and not a VIN(thus not licensable) as the car did not meet crash standards.

GM's COPO Camaro is an example as it has a serial number and not a VIN.

The Porsche 911 GT3RS has a VIN and can be licensed as does the Porsche GT2 RS and the AMG GT R that have proven themselves to be very quick on a road course. AMG is going to release a Black series GT R shortly and they will raise the bar. It will have more horsepower and less weight than the current GT R. It will have a VIN also.

Not sure the point in your post Joe.

You took a made-up designation that I gave for a hypothetical C7 Corvette, proceeded to talk about C6 generation concept cars and COPO Camaros, and ultimately ended with (cue the trumpets), a not-yet produced MB AMG Black model...What gives?

----
Mike
Old 12-04-2017, 09:59 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

I sure am happy GM didn’t go the all out track/purist route with the ZR1. I absolutely thought they would before it was unveiled and planned to order a Z06 earlier this year. Luckily I held off until they unveiled the ZR1 and low and behold it’s exactly what I hoped it would be. An insanely track capable street machine. Perfect for what I want (weekend cruiser and occasional track toy) and I couldn’t be happier. Hurry up GM and open up orders so you can take my money!!

I also agree with the other posters regarding low demand for truly track focused cars like the latest ACR. GM knew exactly what it was doing designing the ZR1 and the final product targets a much larger audience. They will sell as many as they can build
Old 12-04-2017, 10:58 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

You riled the troops with your comments and it always comes around to the ZR1 being superior to Porsche and other exotics which are in a different league than the Corvette. I was one of the few that bought a 2013 ZR1 and just like the C7 ZO6 it is fast enough for me and probably 90% of the buyers of these cars. They could have done more but it is obvious the bean counters had a big part in dictating the outcome and it will be a big seller in the beginning and then it will taper off just like the C6 ZR1. Wow $150k for a Chevy.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:19 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

It's not about "beating" anything.

It's not about Porsche

It's not about horsepower

It's about something truly exceptional. See the 911R...not the fastest, but it didn't care about being the fastest...it cared about trying to hit that one shot that you can only hit once every few decades...all in. They had the chassis, the parts bin to do it, the desire.

I never said the ZR1 won't slaughter women and children, drive to the beach, with your coffee in a cup holder and shoot fire...I can admire a car that can do "everything". You can build a car that means something to everyone, or you can build a car that means everything to someone.

There is still a chance...like Nemesis said...maybe the game ain't over yet. Z06X...I've been waiting since the day I stood next to it at SEMA. I just personally don't think GM has it in it, to build it. Like I said...at least we have GrandSport to build...I'm good with that. They are in the mid to low 50's...I can't complain. Spring 2018, that's what it'll be...so be it.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 12-05-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:59 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
You did warn me but I didn't listen and wasted 4 minutes of my life. Your opinion is way too premature.
No whats premature is seeing if this car lives up to its hype? Kinda like the hype of the Z06 and then the massive failure.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:41 AM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

A thoughtful, well written post.

On Corvette Forum.

Is this a sign of the apocalypse?
The following 2 users liked this post by fugly1:
snow (12-14-2017), sunsalem (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:25 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts
Default OP please buy a Prius

The original poster should go buy a Prius.

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Since you brought up how many corvette’s you owned, I’ll just mention that I have owned 21, yes 21! And you are totally wrong about the ZR1. It is a monumental car. It has raw power, unreal handling, upscale interior that rivals any import, and on and on. It WILL beat any production 911, and probably eat the 488, and Huracan. If you don’t like it, go buy a overpriced Porsche. But constantly bashing the ZR1 won’t make it failure.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:26 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts

Why does the Ferrari 812 Superfast, their fastest production car, look like a Corvette with similar performance specs cost $335,275 (base)?

Last edited by dfettero; 12-05-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:25 PM
umatac1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What is that you are hoping would arise from the ZR1? What more could you demand from GM for producing a car to include all C7s that out performs most cars above its price. What you fail to see is what is right in front of you, an underdog in the supercar realm. The C7 is "Rocky" punching and winning above its class...pure American concept. I laugh when corvettes are reviewed on youtube because it always ends the same-the interior is subpar, it clicks and rattles, it feels plastic, a lambo has this, a Porsche has better seats...etc, however when the C7 is taken on a drive its a different story. When you race the C7 on the track things become clear...you can dominate the big boys. A supercar within the publics reach. I want a car with a warranty that I can service reasonably at a local dealer or myself. I don't want specialty nonsense that has been overinflated to fuel egos and demand. I have owned the euros, I get it...but it wears off quickly. The C7 makes me smile and laugh on occasion, I enjoy the "fun" of the car. In the end I am left with a car...i'll take Rocky..i'll win.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:06 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by dfettero
Why does the Ferrari 812 Superfast, their fastest production car, look like a Corvette with similar performance specs cost $335,275 (base)?
Because it's a Ferrari.
Comparing a Ferrari to a Corvette is like comparing a rabbit to a rabbi.
Sure, both are mammals...but...
Old 12-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
It's not about "beating" anything.
You and I feel very differently about cars.

The C7ZR1 in the right hands will maul nearly every Porsche it ever sees. Smash them like smashing matchbox cars with a sledge.

Most often times do you know what the Porsche's are that you typically see on the track?

"In the way."
Old 12-05-2017, 07:30 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by desmophile
As a Z06 owner that likes to go to the track, I would offer this view.
If you want to make a ZRI, make it the best track car. No convertible, fix any cooling issues vs Z06, strip the interior and upgrade the suspension in any way you could. At the same time develop some solutions for current/future Z06 owners to solve cooling problems, that should have never been a problem for those that track their cars, A8 or M7. Make the ZR1 the equivalent of the Viper, a good track weapon but stupid on the street.
That shouldn't have been much more expensive than what they have done.
I won't spring for the ZR1. I will upgrade my cooling a little, tune my suspension-DSC, and get some 18" Forgelines and run slicks. I don't need efficiency at 180MPH. The small wing on the ZR1 is not going to help me in 60MPH corners.
I will have spent less than trading in.
And if a ZR1 driver ever takes his car to our track here in SLC, we will see who made the better track car choice.
As your a Z06 owner I would offer the view above your post #24. Good luck when you meet up with that ZR1. Maybe it will be me in my vert.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis

Old 12-05-2017, 07:33 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Most often times do you know what the Porsche's are that you typically see on the track?

"In the way."
Rolling chicanes.
The following users liked this post:
Racingswh (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Rolling chicanes.

That's them!!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:57 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Racingswh
You and I feel very differently about cars.

The C7ZR1 in the right hands will maul nearly every Porsche it ever sees. Smash them like smashing matchbox cars with a sledge.

"In the way."
One would actually need on-track experience to know this.
S.

Quick Reply: ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis