ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis - Page 6 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #101  
N4Speed
CF Senior Member
 
N4Speed's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 124
Thanked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. View Post
First of all, I suggest you stop reading at this point, save yourself the next five minutes of lost time and seek better content. You've been warned......
I should have listened to your advise and saved my self a few minutes

I think GM has done a fantastic job! ZR1 will probably beat 99% of its completion costing 3-4 times as much. I tracked my Z06 and my Aventador on COTA, the Z06 was 1 second faster, yes Aventador is not the best track car but it is 4-wheel drive with 700 HP and cost me 5 times what I paid for Z06.

I really enjoyed my Z06 both on and off track. It had all of the creature comfort as well as lots of cool technology such as PDR, dual front camera, Mag dampers, head-up display, etc. Try ordering one of the exotic Italian cars with PDR or dual front camera and they will laugh at you.

I can’t imagine what ZR1 is capable of. I have a deposit down and hopefully if I am lucky enough I get one 2nd quarter of 2018.

Last edited by N4Speed; 12-14-2017 at 05:43 PM.
N4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N4Speed For This Useful Post:
3 Z06ZR1 (12-16-2017), Bwright (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #102  
K.I.T.T.
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
K.I.T.T.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Posts: 972
Thanked 285 Times in 160 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Speed View Post
I should have listened to your advise and saved my self a few minutes

I think GM has done a fantastic job! ZR1 will probably beat 99% of its completion costing 3-4 times as much. I tracked my Z06 and my Aventador on COTA, the Z06 was 1 second faster, yes Aventador is not the best track car but it is 4-wheel drive with 700 HP and cost me 5 times what I paid for Z06.

I really enjoyed my Z06 both on and off track. It had all of the creature comfort as well as lots of cool technology such as PDR, dual front camera, Mag dampers, head-up display, etc. Try ordering one of the exotic Italian cars with PDR or dual front camera and they will laugh at you.

I canít imagine what ZR1 is capable of. I have a deposit down and hopefully if I am lucky enough I get one 2nd quarter of 2018.

K.I.T.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #103  
NemesisC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
NemesisC5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,954
Thanked 182 Times in 143 Posts
Default

GM set out to build a Corvette that could run quicker laps than the ZO6 and stay cool in the process. With the little information we have so far it seems GM has accomplished their goal with the ZR1. Adding 105 HP via a larger supercharger and increased downforce via large rear wing and different front aero was likely the lowest cost way to get it done. Shedding weight from current ZO6 while adding the additional cooling would to achieve ZR1 lap times would likely have cost more had they gone this route. The ZR1 looks and sounds like an American built sledge hammer that appears to get the job done with all the creature comforts to enjoy daily driving.
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #104  
K.I.T.T.
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
K.I.T.T.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Posts: 972
Thanked 285 Times in 160 Posts
Default

You can build a slower car than a Z06 that will sell for Z06 money...just gotta check the right boxes. The target car is grand sport...sharpen it, focus it. Put the ZR1 front bumper on it, and put a 505hp engine in it. It'll sell for Z06 money in limited run. Call it the Zora Edition Grand Sport and it'll sell out before it even accepts orders. Then the media really gets to pour over what's what in the Corvette lineup and pick winners. I think it can be done. It's not an unreasonable goal, it's a parts bin car, marketed right and you need a motor and some aero. Save money by limiting interior options and colors. Make it a final year car like the C4 Grand Sport was.

The end....shut the thread. We are all just blabbin at this point.
K.I.T.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:04 AM   #105  
rbartick
CF Senior Member
 
rbartick's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Posts: 7,225
Thanked 285 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Umm.. No. I for one would not buy your "target car".

I find it humorous that some people think they are actually better at designing, marketing, and selling cars than the GM team. The end....shut the thread

Last edited by rbartick; 12-15-2017 at 09:26 AM.
rbartick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:51 AM   #106  
ZoratZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 807
Thanked 274 Times in 163 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. View Post
You can build a slower car than a Z06 that will sell for Z06 money...just gotta check the right boxes. The target car is grand sport...sharpen it, focus it. Put the ZR1 front bumper on it, and put a 505hp engine in it. It'll sell for Z06 money in limited run. Call it the Zora Edition Grand Sport and it'll sell out before it even accepts orders. Then the media really gets to pour over what's what in the Corvette lineup and pick winners. I think it can be done. It's not an unreasonable goal, it's a parts bin car, marketed right and you need a motor and some aero. Save money by limiting interior options and colors. Make it a final year car like the C4 Grand Sport was.

The end....shut the thread. We are all just blabbin at this point.
This is a GM product, not a Porsche. Period. People WON'T line up to buy it. In a fairly direct way, you're basically saying that GM has NO IDEA what their clients want, and thus they haven't (and likely will not) make this car. I disagree and think that GM knows fairly well what sells and what doesn't. It's a mute point, as we'll never know, cause they'll never build it.
ZoratZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:48 AM   #107  
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member
 
TBIRD57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,132
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

this is all too much theater.

just take one of those concept car designs and build the damn thing.
offer lambo color options
an awd option
C6 interior dimensions
result, the C8 ME should result in soaring sales


build it and they will come GM!

and by the way GM, if you are going down the porsche road, you'll have to build corvette suv, corvette less expensive version, and sedan.
AND FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE DON'T TRY AND FOIST ANOTHER CADILLAC
SPORTS CAR(wink wink).on the public!
TBIRD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #108  
meadowz06
CF Senior Member
 
meadowz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: birmingham Alabama
Posts: 13,821
Thanked 79 Times in 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13
Default

The OP started this bullshit thread just to bash the ZR1. The ZR1 is a home run. Period. Itís not a Porsche, thank God, which means itís cost effective, and parts are cheap, and it does not look like a Volkswagen!
meadowz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #109  
z06801
CF Senior Member
 
z06801's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: NSL UT
Posts: 1,573
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowz06
The OP started this bullshit thread just to bash the ZR1. The ZR1 is a home run. Period. Itís not a Porsche, thank God, which means itís cost effective, and parts are cheap, and it does not look like a Volkswagen!
That's Aero Beetle to you sir I didn't see as such a slam on the ZR1 which is going to be a awesome car no doubt, but a lament about what the Corvette line is missing. Think Corvette( Z28 formula ) with a ZR1 aero package IMO. I get it it's niche market and GM doesn't do that. It's going to be something you build yourself if you want it. How did the Z28 sale? I really don't know.
z06801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #110  
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Snorman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,006
Thanked 941 Times in 443 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06801 View Post
How did the Z28 sale? I really don't know.
Sales were crappy.
GM was offering huge discounts on the cars within about 18-months.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/11/...hed-from-msrp/

While that was limited to certain cars, there were a great many people buying $70k+ Z28's well into the low-mid $50's and 20-30% discounts off MSRP.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588630128

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-easier.html
S.
Snorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #111  
Kappa
CF Senior Member
 
Kappa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,271
Thanked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorman View Post
Sales were crappy.
GM was offering huge discounts on the cars within about 18-months.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/11/...hed-from-msrp/

While that was limited to certain cars, there were a great many people buying $70k+ Z28's well into the low-mid $50's and 20-30% discounts off MSRP.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588630128

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-easier.html
S.
Yup. Pretty much killed the case for a GT3 RS/Z06X type vehichle and is why the ZL1 1LE and ZR1 come with all the creature comforts of regular models.

Last edited by Kappa; 12-15-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:41 PM   #112  
themonk
CF Senior Member
 
themonk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Posts: 74,806
Thanked 528 Times in 328 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbartick View Post
Umm.. No. I for one would not buy your "target car".

I find it humorous that some people think they are actually better at designing, marketing, and selling cars than the GM team. The end....shut the thread
well some things I do know more about GM's marketing team. As I said in another thread, they want to target younger buyers but yet they don't offer any exciting colors, same boring schit (except white, black and red) year after year, they just call it a different name. You want to attract younger buyers, offer some jazzy colors, it doesn't hurt to stalk a few gallons of paint.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #113  
DoctorV8
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
DoctorV8's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,616
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Yup. Pretty much killed the case for a GT3 RS/Z06X type vehichle and is why the ZL1 1LE and ZR1 come with all the creature comforts of regular models.
Yet the ZL1/1LE's ride is barely tolerable on the street. If they couldn't do adjustable damping to increase the suspension's bandwidth, the heated steering wheel and cushy seats really don't make any sense.
DoctorV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I have an offer to buy my 2016 Z06. Thinking about a new ZL1 Camaro until the C7 ZR1 2016 Z06 C7 Z06 Discussion 26 07-24-2017 01:39 PM
    "Top 10 reasons I am no longer a leftist" dpd3672 Politics, Religion & Controversy 3 04-20-2017 11:45 AM
    The case for the ZR1 being naturally aspirated, not supercharged K.I.T.T. C7 General Discussion 31 02-10-2017 04:18 PM
    Donald Trump won because America wants their culture back. 99 Driver Politics, Religion & Controversy 38 01-17-2017 11:40 AM
    Are these new photos the ZR1 or a "Z06X"? vtknight C7 Z06 Discussion 23 12-01-2016 12:33 AM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:24 PM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: