C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:37 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Case in point: Ring GT2 RS 997 vs The 991!

DEARBORN – There once was a time when owning a supercar meant compromise. Undeniably, the thrills were real, but the effort required to operate many a high-performance machine could overwhelm.

http://performance.ford.com/enthusia...ive-modes.html

[B]Easy really! Nobodies ever really turning 'Off'

https://www.cnn.com/2013/12/03/us/pa...car/index.html
What is "easy really"? What point are you trying to make with your 2 articles on the Ford gt and carrera gt? Why do you keep just randomly posting statements and links to articles without any discussion of what you are trying to talk about?

Can't wait for your next nonsensical response filled with gibberish. What type of education and career do you have?
Old 01-27-2018, 09:08 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Baloney! ;)

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Well said bud. I am trying my best to get this through my best friends head now. He is in the market for his first real sports car and all he does is compare cars by numbers. Meaning numbers that the pros run. Like you said, unless you're a pro (or near), means absolutely nothing.
Originally Posted by Sub Driver
What is "easy really"? What point are you trying to make with your 2 articles on the Ford gt and carrera gt? Why do you keep just randomly posting statements and links to articles without any discussion of what you are trying to talk about?

Can't wait for your next nonsensical response filled with gibberish. What type of education and career do you have?
There's no PROportional relationship! Guys used to say the Nannies slowed you down and the Pros don't use them for that reason. They are on and the Pros are using them. JUST STOP BUYING THE MANUFACTURERS OUT! THEY STILL HAVE SOME PROVING TO DO:
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/virgin...e-post-01-2014
Unofficial Ford time complete with excuses!?
The eLSD ZL11LE and ediff. GT2&3 RS's now have successfully set the STD for RWD cars!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-27-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Well said bud. I am trying my best to get this through my best friends head now. He is in the market for his first real sports car and all he does is compare cars by numbers. Meaning numbers that the pros run. Like you said, unless you're a pro (or near), means absolutely nothing.
I get that it's cool to have something that has the potential to put down good lap times. Accessing that potential is difficult for most new Owners (I know it is for me) and IMO not the best reason to choose one car over another.

I knew when I was looking at new cars what I wanted. A car that was reliable and still quick at the track. At the time, because of the issues my friends were having with their C7Z's at the track, I went with the ACR-E.

There were many other possibilities but the field narrowed when I started to plug in the rest of my requirements. Dealer access was important, warranty, consumables cost, insurability on the track, and a few less significant others.

The ability to insure a track car limits a number of more expensive vehicle options. My track insurance company RLI has a maximum 130k limit. If I was tracking a 400k car then 270k of it would be uninsured. I simply can not afford to walk away from a heaping 270k pile of scrap carbon fiber.

There are many reasons this new ZR1 is so attractive to me not the least of which are that it's competitively priced for it's performance and fully insurable at the track.

I will sit on the sidelines and see if Poorsha has any real issues. I will also see where the prices of them go. I feel that right now it's the only reasonable option other than a C7Z06, which is also incredible, especially when you can enjoy the car on the street as well which is certainly not a strong suit of the ACR-E.

Last edited by Racingswh; 01-27-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:35 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver

Why do YOU keep doing this??
Do what everyone else does and put him on your Ignore List so you don't have to read his posts.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:39 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I get that it's cool to have something that has the potential to put down good lap times. Accessing that potential is difficult for most new Owners (I know it is for me) and IMO not the best reason to choose one car over another.

I knew when I was looking at new cars what I wanted. A car that was reliable and still quick at the track. At the time, because of the issues my friends were having with their C7Z's at the track, I went with the ACR-E.

There were many other possibilities but the field narrowed when I started to plug in the rest of my requirements. Dealer access was important, warranty, consumables cost, insurability on the track, and a few less significant others.

The ability to insure a track car limits a number of more expensive vehicle options. My track insurance company RLI has a maximum 130k limit. If I was tracking a 400k car then 270k of it would be uninsured. I simply can not afford to walk away from a heaping 270k pile of scrap carbon fiber.

There are many reasons this new ZR1 is so attractive to me not the least of which are that it's competitively priced for it's performance and fully insurable at the track.

I will sit on the sidelines and see if Poorsha has any real issues. I will also see where the prices of them go. I feel that right now it's the only reasonable option other than a C7Z06, which is also incredible, especially when you can enjoy the car on the street as well which is certainly not a strong suit of the ACR-E.
I was unaware Poorsha is getting a ZR1. Auto or manual? What will it be for you....if you get 1?
Old 01-28-2018, 03:36 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Please do Trolls! ;)

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Why do YOU keep doing this??
Do what everyone else does and put him on your Ignore List so you don't have to read his posts.
Leave the TECH to others!
MR, ABS, and ediff - chassis control, in a RWD Mid!
Our more economical version to follow! IE The 599 vs The ZR1!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-28-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:53 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

I was unaware Poorsha is getting a ZR1. Auto or manual? What will it be for you....if you get 1?
He's been talking about it and in the waiting process now I guess.

I will get a manual if I get one and get rid of my Wife's Grand Sport. Her C6Z is close to being finished so she won't have much of a need for the GS and honestly doesn't love it. I like it way more than she does.

The ZR1 is a good fit for me and will keep a car we like to drive on the street as well in the family. Then I would be good I think.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:40 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Sebring Orange 3ZR, M7, ZTK, SODP.

I'm on the list with Mike Furman and am definitely going through with it but my allocation hasn't come up yet. You can look forward to extensive track testing and a lot of data comparison against the Z06 when I do get it.
The following 5 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
Lavender (01-28-2018), Racingswh (01-28-2018), tail_lights (02-01-2018), village idiot (02-01-2018), ZoratZ06 (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 02:19 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Smooth Driving!

Must be all that seat time!? Interested to see your comparison!
Old 01-28-2018, 02:37 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

My fastest lap to date in the C7Z at VIR is actually this one.
The following users liked this post:
johnglenntwo (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 07:42 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

That’s a badass looking beetle!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:09 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default My point! ;)

This sucker Couldn't make The Ring!

It can still bite you, though.

"its 3,354-pound curb weight (some 300 pounds more than Ford’s published “dry weight”)."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/...t-test-review/

No ediff, AWS or big aero! The 720s would be a Ring railing ornament too! The formula is out!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-28-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:57 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
He's been talking about it and in the waiting process now I guess.

I will get a manual if I get one and get rid of my Wife's Grand Sport. Her C6Z is close to being finished so she won't have much of a need for the GS and honestly doesn't love it. I like it way more than she does.

The ZR1 is a good fit for me and will keep a car we like to drive on the street as well in the family. Then I would be good I think.
Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Sebring Orange 3ZR, M7, ZTK, SODP.

I'm on the list with Mike Furman and am definitely going through with it but my allocation hasn't come up yet. You can look forward to extensive track testing and a lot of data comparison against the Z06 when I do get it.
sounds good guys
Old 01-29-2018, 06:48 AM
HotHonda
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Little behind the scenes......Excellence Magazine March 2018:

Excerpt from interview with Nick Tandy, one of Porsche's
Factory drivers for the 2018 GT2RS Nurburgring run.

Excellence:

You were recently part of the GT2 RS team which broke the Nürburgring lap record. We know Porsche’s official test driver, Lars Kern, recorded the all-important time of 6 minutes 47 seconds, but what was your best?

Tandy:

I’d actually just got off a plane that evening from Austin, Texas, and the next thing I know I’m driving a 991 GT2 RS on a hot lap around the ’Ring. I actually held the record myself for all of 45 minutes with a time of 6 minutes 49 seconds, and I thought ‘that’s enough risk.’ The thing is, driving a GT2 RS at the ’Ring, without a full cage, at 335 km/h (208 mph), on road tires and suspension, is not fun! Being a young father of two, I considered my options and the risks I should probably—or probably not—be taking, and thought that was fast enough.

Lars, however, being the daredevil he is, thinks differently! He fancied another go and went out and got 6 minutes 47 seconds. Fair play to him. It was great because (Porsche’s Vice-President of Motorsport and GT cars) Dr. Walliser asked me to go along and support the event with Lars and we managed to work off each other and get some good times, get some good speed out of the car. From my point of view, though, it was a lot of risk for what turned out to be not a lot of reward in the end!
The following 2 users liked this post by HotHonda:
sunsalem (01-29-2018), Telepierre (02-03-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:58 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by HotHonda
Little behind the scenes......Excellence Magazine March 2018:

Excerpt from interview with Nick Tandy, one of Porsche's
Factory drivers for the 2018 GT2RS Nurburgring run.

Excellence:

You were recently part of the GT2 RS team which broke the Nürburgring lap record. We know Porsche’s official test driver, Lars Kern, recorded the all-important time of 6 minutes 47 seconds, but what was your best?

Tandy:

I’d actually just got off a plane that evening from Austin, Texas, and the next thing I know I’m driving a 991 GT2 RS on a hot lap around the ’Ring. I actually held the record myself for all of 45 minutes with a time of 6 minutes 49 seconds, and I thought ‘that’s enough risk.’ The thing is, driving a GT2 RS at the ’Ring, without a full cage, at 335 km/h (208 mph), on road tires and suspension, is not fun! Being a young father of two, I considered my options and the risks I should probably—or probably not—be taking, and thought that was fast enough.

Lars, however, being the daredevil he is, thinks differently! He fancied another go and went out and got 6 minutes 47 seconds. Fair play to him. It was great because (Porsche’s Vice-President of Motorsport and GT cars) Dr. Walliser asked me to go along and support the event with Lars and we managed to work off each other and get some good times, get some good speed out of the car. From my point of view, though, it was a lot of risk for what turned out to be not a lot of reward in the end!
I was lucky enough to spend some time with an ex-Porsche factory driver a few months ago....he let me know that the GT2 RS actually ran a couple of seconds faster but it was not documented correctly enough to be validated as an official lap record that can be published.

That car defies that laws of physics.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:44 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I was lucky enough to spend some time with an ex-Porsche factory driver a few months ago....he let me know that the GT2 RS actually ran a couple of seconds faster but it was not documented correctly enough to be validated as an official lap record that can be published.

That's line I take from that. I think the GT2RS is a helluva car, but I want to see more times on different tracks. It's starting to feel a little fishy like the 720s not really having 700hp...LOL. Unless they were referring to 'wheel' HP. That GT2RS is epic...so much so, it does defy logic, lol.

I think we'll eventually see a GT2RS, ZR1 match-up at MRLS...and of course hopefully a ZR1 Ring time...probably mid 6:50's.

The McLaren Senna Edition will be the new benchmark soon...it will be straight up LeMans race car fast. 789 'McLaren' hp, under 3000 lbs wet and 100% track focused...will make the NFGT feel positively sluggish, IMHO. Maybe it'll run high 6:30's at the ring...hopefully they'll send it to the ring.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:54 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Damn.

I've been gone a while and this thread still has legs. LOL
Old 02-04-2018, 09:31 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Not really! ;)

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Porsche finally just has those ferocious horses under control non AWD. The GT3 is now getting some of that turbo torque kick too!
It's going to be real interesting to see how our transaxle type thing shapes up test driven!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 02-04-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1