C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

OR..the added weight of RWS and taking the turbo 570 SAE to 690 SAE...? I mean by now with all the shaving off in front and adding to the rear we are basically talking 25/75 weight distribution...?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Lol, a little camber on a turn and better surface conditions is going to do way more to add forces on the chassis and suspension than going from Cup2 to slicks. I've pulled over 1.25G (all the display will show) on Super Sports on grippy cambered turns that compress the suspension. I bet it was a lot more than that, too.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:44 AM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Yeah, it's pointless arguing with me when you try to pass off modded cars as stock in comparison, continually provide inaccurate content to your posts and generally don't apply sound logic and information. You went silent on trying to provide an actual argument based on information and made it personal. lol. That's the tell-tale sign of ran out of ideas to twist and resorting to making it about the poster. Let me know when you want to get back to factual data driven debate.
Heavy, can you share what corvette you do own and drive? As I've raced them and owned them... You're using one example of a conversation... where another 'racer' offered his slightly modded Tires and bushings C6 Z06 and asked for comparable 991.1 GT3 times at the track... I provided another car, that had similar mods... it is the only one I personally knew... I didn't go searching the internet for a bunch of examples. But if you're paying attention... and with you it's clear you only pay attention to the facts 'you like'... I've been saying all along the 991.1 is no where near what the 991.2 cars are capable of on the track... so I wasn't trying to state the .1 GT3 was a faster car... I merely was trying to provide an example of a quick .1 GT3 for the poster asking the question. But of course... you had to jump all over it and say how 'NOT STOCK' it was... even though I shared those facts in my post. I went dark because it starts to get old when you try to communicate objective views... and people are so one sided, there is no reasoning... so we'll let the 'unbiased' mags do their testing... and we can continue to poke holes in those too. The weights, are the weights... the dynos are the dynos... the lap times are the lap times... some of these can be debated due to tires... we just agree to disagree that the Porsche cars have the BEST TIRES in the WORLD... and that's the ONLY REASON they are winning.

Although you probably don't spend any time on the porsche forum... might be worth reading the unbiased reviews of OrthoJoe, who has extensive track time in his previous .1 GT3 and now his .2 GT3... and look at what he says the reasons are for the .2 car being a considerably quicker car.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Stereotypical! ;)

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
Heavy, can you share what corvette you do own and drive? As I've raced them and owned them... You're using one example of a conversation... where another 'racer' offered his slightly modded Tires and bushings C6 Z06 and asked for comparable 991.1 GT3 times at the track... I provided another car, that had similar mods... it is the only one I personally knew... I didn't go searching the internet for a bunch of examples. But if you're paying attention... and with you it's clear you only pay attention to the facts 'you like'... I've been saying all along the 991.1 is no where near what the 991.2 cars are capable of on the track... so I wasn't trying to state the .1 GT3 was a faster car... I merely was trying to provide an example of a quick .1 GT3 for the poster asking the question. But of course... you had to jump all over it and say how 'NOT STOCK' it was... even though I shared those facts in my post. I went dark because it starts to get old when you try to communicate objective views... and people are so one sided, there is no reasoning... so we'll let the 'unbiased' mags do their testing... and we can continue to poke holes in those too. The weights, are the weights... the dynos are the dynos... the lap times are the lap times... some of these can be debated due to tires... we just agree to disagree that the Porsche cars have the BEST TIRES in the WORLD... and that's the ONLY REASON they are winning.

Although you probably don't spend any time on the porsche forum... might be worth reading the unbiased reviews of OrthoJoe, who has extensive track time in his previous .1 GT3 and now his .2 GT3... and look at what he says the reasons are for the .2 car being a considerably quicker car.

Best Regards,
Dave
Been helping your dropping for years!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Been helping your dropping for years!
Only a unique few follow your posts JG2, keep on surfin'

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Another Truth! ;)

Only a unique few follow your posts JG2, keep on surfin'

Best Regards,
Dave
But, the standing alone 1000 of views is likewise observable data otherwise.
Wish you didn't choose !!!

And by the way Corvette chassis control does the same!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-18-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:01 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R1
Heavy, are you basically stating that RWS creates toe scrub on the slicks which grinds down the rubber rapidly? or are you saying that the extra grip of the slicks is adding more stress than intended to the RWS mechanism?

Porsche has to have a reason for not wanting slicks on its RWS. It has to be something. Toe scrub superheats the inside edge of the slick. It then comes apart where the sidewall meets the tread surface. On a 911 forces are different than other cars. Many tires have disclaimers for rear engine cars. Including Hoosier. I have a friend who spent 30k in one track season buying new slicks. Some would last a weekend then blow, some a day, some only a session. But they ALL blew. Michelin, Hoosier you name it. DOT Hoosier last much longer. NT01, no problem. It was so bad he gave up and sold Al of his solid suspension and control arms..... To me. The problem followed the parts. Lol. I mostly ran DOT though and the wear pattern was too uneven for my liking. You could tell toe was the issue even though we tried all kinds of static toe, zero/in/out.

All it took was a rear toe steer kit. Problem gone. Forever. We figured it out over the course of a year. Drop the angle of the toe arm down with a spacer and you had zero issues. RWS is sure to surpass those toe ranges caused by the geometry issues we had. That's why I think it's becuase of that Porsche doesn't want slicks on the car and possibly made sure RWS gave them an excuse to make the wheels a major deterrent.

This happened on heavier 911's with power and DF. Our cars were gutted though and mine weighed less than a any of the current 911's.

Last edited by heavychevy; 07-18-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I know a lot of people that regularly track RWS 911s and they seem to do just fine. Seems odd that you think it's such a problem.

Last edited by village idiot; 07-18-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

But, the standing alone 1000 of views is likewise observable data otherwise.
Wish you didn't choose !!!

And by the way Corvette chassis control does the same!

I know it's not possible to win a forum thread with you... but let's be clear 'my BS' is backed by thousands of laps around tracks, in dozens of different makes and models. Your BS is based on internet fanfare.

Best Regards
Dave
Old 07-18-2018, 12:44 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Mutually Exclusive! ;)

I know it's not possible to win a forum thread with you... but let's be clear 'my BS' is backed by thousands of laps around tracks, in dozens of different makes and models. Your BS is based on internet fanfare.

Best Regards
Dave
Mag Racing and being Black Flagged!
Heavy's only discrepancy was his actually making the jump.

Enjoy your New car with pride (We get it!)! Nice

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-18-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Best Regards,
Dave
I don't own any corvettes, I drive several. What's your point?

Don't try to pull that nonsense on me. You tried to sell that car as stock. And Robert, not knowing otherwise about GT3's, actually bought it. He challenged you to find a stock GT3 running sub 1:55 at t-hill. You said stock and then mentioned what would be 4-5 seconds worth of mods. THAT SIMPLY IS NOT STOCK. Anyone can see you tried to pull a fast one. And almost got away with it. ​​​​​​Just give it up already.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Mag Racing and being Black Flagged!
Heavy's only discripancy was his actually making the jump.

Enjoy your New car with pride (We get it!)! Nice
What is a discripancy? "Mag Racing and being Black Flagged" provides absolutely no information, doesn't come close to a complete thought and is the perfect example of the lack of coherent thoughts floating in your head. You have failed once again to present yourself as a semi-intelligent person capable of simple communication.

Eagerly awaiting your next poorly worded, misspelled, and nonsensical post.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:12 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by village idiot
I know a lot of people that regularly track RWS 911s and they seem to do just fine. Seems odd that you think it's such a problem.
​​​​​​If course, Porsche still builds one of if not the most trackable cars on the market. If you keep it stock, avoid slicks, avoid 18's and all the tires that go with them and like centerlocks with far too quick replacement intervals when tracking.

My point to SBC who was going in hard on the C7 for being a downgrade from the C6 in terms of track ability is that the 991 is no different with all its limitations and nuances. Sacrifices were made from both manufacturers and the 991 is no enthusiasts dream. Not if you want access to all the tires and simple applications of 18's which is just about every hardcore track guy.

I'm not saying the 991 is a horrible car, even to track. But for serious guys who want more than stock can offer, it's just not going to cut it. Even if the times are close, they won't be when the Corvette adds slicks and you can't. That's a real track day application for you.

Add to that, the hero laps set in the magazines are on tires that just dont last and fall off badly after a few laps. Not to mention they are super expensive. So downsizing helps you go faster, have more consistent grip AND save money.

Last edited by heavychevy; 07-18-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:12 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by HMDS
I like that display. Actual numbers on values and bars for quick look PLUS tire pressures- I'm jealous.
I have that display on my 18 ZO6 but not on my 15,16 or 17?
Old 07-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

I don't own any corvettes, I drive several. What's your point?

Don't try to pull that nonsense on me. You tried to sell that car as stock. And Robert, not knowing otherwise about GT3's, actually bought it. He challenged you to find a stock GT3 running sub 1:55 at t-hill. You said stock and then mentioned what would be 4-5 seconds worth of mods. THAT SIMPLY IS NOT STOCK. Anyone can see you tried to pull a fast one. And almost got away with it. ​​​​​​Just give it up already.
I tried to pull a fast one... in the same post... that I WROTE the mods it had? Which are fairly standard... Tires, Exhaust and a wing. I would agree with you IF I FAILED to mention those... but I didn't. I was UPFRONT about them... unlike you, who clearly has a hidden agenda... of which I'm lost... other than 997's are the best cars every... yet you hang out on a corvette board... and don't drive one? (at least not one you've mentioned)... Your argument is as rock solid as JG2's responses... you're both an amazing team!

Dave
Old 07-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

​​​​​​If course, Porsche still builds one of if not the most trackable cars on the market. If you keep it stock, avoid slicks, avoid 18's and all the tires that go with them and like centerlocks with far too quick replacement intervals when tracking.

My point to SBC who was going in hard on the C7 for being a downgrade from the C6 in terms of track ability is that the 991 is no different with all its limitations and nuances. Sacrifices were made from both manufacturers and the 991 is no enthusiasts dream. Not if you want access to all the tires and simple applications of 18's which is just about every hardcore track guy.

I'm not saying the 991 is a horrible car, even to track. But for serious guys who want more than stock can offer, it's just not going to cut it. Even if the times are close, they won't be when the Corvette adds slicks and you can't. That's a real track day application for you.
So centerlocks are an issue... what about Corvette Hubs? And, slicks? You find are that much different than a set of DOT A7's? It's so convenient for you to leave out the items ANY STOCK C7 needs to actually do a track day when a stock GT car needs NONE!

Best Regards,
Dave
The following users liked this post:
SBC_and_a_stick (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 01:40 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Nuance Again!? ;)

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
What is a discripancy? "Mag Racing and being Black Flagged" provides absolutely no information, doesn't come close to a complete thought and is the perfect example of the lack of coherent thoughts floating in your head. You have failed once again to present yourself as a semi-intelligent person capable of simple communication.

Eagerly awaiting your next poorly worded, misspelled, and nonsensical post.
Brain Damage does that!
And Thanks: Discrepancy is it?

Get notified of new replies

To Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!

Old 07-18-2018, 02:09 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

There is a sort of transitivity fallacy in what heavychevy demands of the 991. Many production cars, C7s included, need aftermarket mods to run consistently and reliably at the track. Therefore it would be nice for the manufacturer to allow these modifications and still warranty the car for track use. As a result, all manufacturers should allow modifications for track use. That last one is where the logic fails! Since not all production cars need the mods to work on track then not all production cars need to allow modifications to run on track.

I bought the C7 Z to have a car that can run midpack in advanced/open passing but drive me to and back from the track. As far as I can tell the 991 can do that no problem, and heavychevy agrees. Whether you can mod the 991 cheaply for more extensive track use is besides the point. Manufacturers don't make cars so that you can mod them cheaply. The BEST they can do is make them run stock at 10/10 without breaking down. Porsche owes you nothing in terms of upgrade-ability, and your expectation that they have to, and it has to be cheap, is simply unfair, especially given how much of a pain in the *** it is to drive a C7 at the same speed fully stock.

Has Chevy done this? The C7 Z06 is notorious for needing special attention to get it through 20 minutes of HPDE. I hope the ZR1 is a huge improvement. You needed cooling mods, stronger wheels, and more heat resistant tires at the minimum. You can't switch here and say these mods must be easy on a 991, because the 991 doesn't need them! So at the end of the day if you don't want delaminated Cup 2s that overheat in a few laps you will have to drive to the track on Hoosier slicks. Has anyone done this and got caught in a rain before? I have, 50 mph can be death defying. Heck, even the way Chevy has specified the Cup 2 is with less water channeling for all out dry grip. It's a handful to drive the 'Vette in the rain no matter what.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

SBC, on the same page 100%... only 'minor' change... is if you don't want the delaminated Cup 2's (which happened to me) you have to drive on Hoosier 'DOT' Tires. So we can get away from the term 'slicks'... even though you're right... I wouldn't want to be caught in the rain on a set! I trailer my cars to the track.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-18-2018, 02:23 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

I tried to pull a fast one... in the same post... that I WROTE the mods it had? Which are fairly standard... Tires, Exhaust and a wing. I would agree with you IF I FAILED to mention those... but I didn't. I was UPFRONT about them... unlike you, who clearly has a hidden agenda... of which I'm lost... other than 997's are the best cars every... yet you hang out on a corvette board... and don't drive one? (at least not one you've mentioned)... Your argument is as rock solid as JG2's responses... you're both an amazing team!

Dave
You clearly have lost your cool. Calm down bud. The truth hurts. Do I need validation to post on these boards? What is said criteria? I just told you I don't OWN one but DRIVE PLENTY. I could show up at many events with no car and drive a Corvette on track with no prior notice. You are barking up the wrong tree. Your rage is interfering with your comprehension. I really came here to learn more about the ZR1 because it's an astonishing car. Im a car guy, but I have my personal standards for what I like. I like the Acr too, don't own one. Is it OK with you if I'm a fan of a car. Just kidding, I don't care if you approve. I know personally and via forums dozens of people on this board, for well over a decade. The track section here is also excellent.

You are the one who said STOCK and then described a car that's Not stock. What do t you understand about the contradiction in your post?! You tried to use people's lack of knowing details against them. That car is about as far from stock as you can get with a 991 RS. But first your excuse was you thought Roberts car was modded, now youre saying you didn't mean it was stock. You are only confusing yourself. Lol.

P. S. I'm not angry, just calling you on your subtle attempts to win a debate on speed by provide false and intentionally confusing information. Sorry not sorry.

See you at the track.

Last edited by heavychevy; 07-18-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!