C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 05:55 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Can someone in the know please explain why the GT3RS time is slightly faster than the GT2RS? Are these models running the same transmission?
1) Different drivers
2) Different transmissions
3) Different tires
4) Different suspension and/or aero settings
5) Different weather; temp, humidity, air density

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
but I'd personally prefer a car that is a 1/4 second slower, but is NA, weighs less, and does it with 200 less hp on a 'horsepower' track. That's just me.
- I'm 100% with you on the desirability driving of NA engines. But I will say that there is a HUGE different in feel between [modern] supercharged and turbo FI engines. I ran my Z4 M Coupe NA for years, then eventually put an ESS supercharger kit on it and while there is a barely-perceptible change in throttle response the feel of driving it is identical to when it was NA.

My wife's X3 auto, however, is constantly annoying due to it's digital throttle coupled with turbos that need to spool up - only luck allows for smooth light-throttle takeoffs from a stop. Great vehicle otherwise. Awesome, smart AWD system.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:56 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

All forced induction arent equal. Turbo and supercharged engines are so different and not only in throttle response but also the sound. Turbo engines feel like a 65 year old man trying to scream, its like the engine sound is so muted. And the GT2RS is actually a car that sounds much worse than any other turbo out there in its class. Mclaren for example sounds worlds better. I just dont see myself ever owning a gt2rs precisely for the sound reason (excluding the price).

Its one thing to drive a daily with turbo (I still wouldnt do it but you could argue for ir) but its another to own a sports car that doesnt sound good. Sound to me is the next most important aspect after performance.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:15 AM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan

That is a heck of difference in times 6:58-6:47. Reminds me of my run in GT Sport. Lol
it is, but of course the track is 13 miles long. Depending on how you count it there are between 100 and 200 different turns on that track. So picture knowing the track really well but only having two or three practice laps before you have to set a fast time. How do you determine optimal braking points and speed through the Apex for all those turns with such little practice?

I actually think the sport Auto guys do a fantastic job with the limited time they have on the track with a new car. Another way of looking at the Gap in times is that it was less than a second per mile on one of the most challenging tracks in the world in one of the fastest road cars ever made.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:22 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default You've got time to listen? ;)

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
All forced induction arent equal. Turbo and supercharged engines are so different and not only in throttle response but also the sound. Turbo engines feel like a 65 year old man trying to scream, its like the engine sound is so muted. And the GT2RS is actually a car that sounds much worse than any other turbo out there in its class. Mclaren for example sounds worlds better. I just dont see myself ever owning a gt2rs precisely for the sound reason (excluding the price).

Its one thing to drive a daily with turbo (I still wouldnt do it but you could argue for ir) but its another to own a sports car that doesnt sound good. Sound to me is the next most important aspect after performance.
YOU NEED MORE HP!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-14-2018 at 07:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pdx-vette (07-07-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 07:33 AM
Enzom
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Raisin Man
So true. The handwringing from prospective Porsche GT car and Ferrari buyers trying to get access to cars is just bizarre. Waiting on multiple dealer priority lists, buying other less desirable cars to get access to more desirable models, dating the dealer’s daughter to curry favor - you can’t make this stuff up.

It all reminds me of a great line from the movie “Top Gun”. Question: “Whose butt did you kiss to get in here? Answer: “The list is long and distinguished...” The cars from these manufacturers are good, but not that good.
I am lucky that I have the ability to pay for most of these cars (thank God and hard work), but the difficulty in getting allocations for a GT2 RS or Pista are as you describe them. I don't like feeling like some dealer is doing me a favor by taking $300-$400,000 from me and making me buy things that I do not want.

Having said that - they are still very desirable. And they are money in the bank if you are able to get one at something anywhere close to MSRP. Myself - I chose McLaren knowing that they depreciate in value and are not as "desirable" as a special edition Ferrari or GT2. So far, the dealership experience has been quite amazing. I hope it stays that way. Am on my 3rd Mac and am going to be speccing my Senna in the next month or so. That car will hopefully prove to be a good investment.

The ZR-1 is amazing bang for the buck and a great performer. And, just about any of us with $130k burning a hole in our pockets can walk into a Chevy dealer and get one. Flipside is that they are probably dropping in value like most recent corvettes. But so what? Drive and enjoy.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
i browsed fastestlaps more and the same guy posted numbers fot each 488 pista, mclaren senna, porscge gt2rs and gt3rs and of course zr1, saying they are all coming out in the same MT issue. Looking forward to the actual MT article but it does seem like a lot of strange effort if he made it all up.

in nutshell the lap times were (according to him)

senna 1:19.71
zr1 1:20.99
gt3rs 1:21.26
gt2rs 1:21.37
488 pista 1:22.01
There's no way the ZR1 was within a second of a McLaren Senna... The Senna has more downforce than an ACR in corners and less drag than a ZR1 on the straights. It has the absolute lowest center of gravity, lowest weight, most power, and best brakes of any car in that test. I'm in doubt of the authenticity of these lap times.

Last edited by Quinten33; 06-14-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default No Way!? ;)

Open diff RWD, and Unproven!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-14-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:43 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

[QUOTE=Questar;1597394466]Really? My friend had very poor results from the Goodyear’s on his ZL1-1LE... wore them out so fast on track that he switched to Cup 2’s instead.[/QUOT
Stock Michelin’s are crap track tires. I destroyed my stock Tires within 3 sessions with my stock Grandsport on my first track day with the car. They hate heat and pace.
Attached Images  

Last edited by rb185afm; 06-15-2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I’m an idiot
Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
1) Different drivers
2) Different transmissions
3) Different tires
4) Different suspension and/or aero settings
5) Different weather; temp, humidity, air density

- I'm 100% with you on the desirability driving of NA engines. But I will say that there is a HUGE different in feel between [modern] supercharged and turbo FI engines. I ran my Z4 M Coupe NA for years, then eventually put an ESS supercharger kit on it and while there is a barely-perceptible change in throttle response the feel of driving it is identical to when it was NA.

My wife's X3 auto, however, is constantly annoying due to it's digital throttle coupled with turbos that need to spool up - only luck allows for smooth light-throttle takeoffs from a stop. Great vehicle otherwise. Awesome, smart AWD system.
I have to wonder how 'close' the new Cayman GTR4 NA 4.0 flat 6 is going to be to a modern GT3RS? It's lighter, smaller, easier to buy, about $90K more affordable, and truly mid engine. It's also a LOT closer to my prospective budget!

But without the panache of a 911, well the C8 will probably be a considerably faster car anyways
Old 06-14-2018, 04:11 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Stopped out at Laguna Seca this morning and Motor Trend was not there. Maybe later but not today. Still waiting to see what the ZR1 will do there.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

I Can't wait too....

Last edited by Corvette_Nut; 06-14-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:32 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
https://youtu.be/a2JAqctvgBg

By the sounds of all the cracking, that was still an expensive spin.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Snake oil can be Expensive too! ;)

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
By the sounds of all the cracking, that was still an expensive spin.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-02-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:03 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Looks same as ZR1 pace car in several ways.

What is the story with open diff?
Old 06-27-2018, 06:27 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default !? ;)

Originally Posted by djnice

Few automakers count grams as neurotically as McLaren does, with the Brits even omitting a limited-slip differential in the interest of containing mass. At 3161 pounds, the McLaren crosses the scales 157 pounds lighter than a dual-clutch Porsche 911 GT3.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-mclaren-720s-instrumented-test-review

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1108786_why-does-the-mclaren-p1-have-an-open-differential

I guess Porsche hasn't proven anything on the Nurburgring!? And AWD controlling things there too sub7! And Corvette isnt proving anything either.

Anyway, they need to lay down that Ringtime!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-27-2018 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:54 AM
Enzom
Racer

Originally Posted by djnice

Mclaren uses a brake vectoring system and brake steering system that replicates what a mechanical LSD does. It saves weight, I guess.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:06 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Add Locking LSD for the Corvette's, and the Porsche's!

Originally Posted by Enzom
Mclaren uses a brake vectoring system and brake steering system that replicates what a mechanical LSD does. It saves weight, I guess.
No CCB's makes more of it less feasible.
That's what The Nurburgring is for!

Get notified of new replies

To Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!

Old 06-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Enzom
Racer

No CCB's makes more of it less feasible.
That's what The Nurburgring is for!
i cannot make any sense of what you just wrote. Not trying to be funny.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:14 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Sure! ;)

Originally Posted by Enzom

i cannot make any sense of what you just wrote. Not trying to be funny.
Simply! Carbon Ceramic Brakes can stand up to all the extra use these modern street car chassis control systems demand (especially the Mclaren!).
It's illegal to drift at The Ring, and as of today this new Mclaren's still playing up its drifting mystic. It probably still doesn't have enough DF, and it looks like it.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-29-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Enzom
Racer

Simply! Carbon Ceramic Brakes can stand up to all the extra use these modern street car chassis control systems demand (especially the Mclaren!).
It's illegal to drift at The Ring, and as of today this new Mclaren's still playing up its drifting mystic. It probably still doesn't have enough DF, and it looks like it.

https://youtu.be/KCzFQy0px7M
Got it. Thanks. You would be surprised how much downforce you can get without a giant wing. The 720S has been doing pretty well on tracks, and it isn't even a track variant. When engineers are given wide latitude and a a healthy price point, they can be creative. The base 570S is not going to put down good lap times. I had one. It is under-tired, lacks downforce, and dances too much under braking. But it will trap at 135 mph and walk alot of cars with more HP in a straight line. Let's see what the engineers have done with the 600LT. I think we will be surprised. I would love to have one in my garage.

Quick Reply: Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!