C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 03:28 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
I've got another twelve friends looking to make a day of it!
Serious? We get to meet Johnglenn in person?!
Old 07-14-2018, 04:44 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default magnetic shocks

"Corvette has always followed germans a generation behind (the suspension, the interior quality, seats etc) and considering the statements GM made about warranty and tuneability of cars going forward, it doesnt suprise me if you told me C8 corvette will have far superior software and hardware combo but this generation doesnt."

you might want to do a little background research on who invented magnetorheologic dampers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorheological_damper

Old 07-14-2018, 07:00 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by desmophile

"Corvette has always followed germans a generation behind (the suspension, the interior quality, seats etc) and considering the statements GM made about warranty and tuneability of cars going forward, it doesnt suprise me if you told me C8 corvette will have far superior software and hardware combo but this generation doesnt."

you might want to do a little background research on who invented magnetorheologic dampers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorheological_damper
Magnetic dampners is a technology used as part of the suspension of a vehicle. Handling of corvettes with respect to german counterparts have always been a tad behind, less composed, incomplete, you come up with the word. Every generation got better but never had that porsche balance (relative to the generation so 997 gt vs c6 etc). Germans have always done more with less and corvette has always done about 90% of what germans did but with much more (power, tire, more marketing [the amount of nurburgring pictures in z06 unveil or how just in general corvette marketing with tadge coming to a stage like a talk show guy vs porsche’s understated approaches to each of these]).

What is funny is about a month or two ago everyone here were flaming me when I said there is no way ZR1 is beating gt2rs in nurburgring. Once you realized nurburgring was kaput. You guys also said that domestic tracks would be game over for porsche which now we are seeing is also not the case.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

Magnetic dampners is a technology used as part of the suspension of a vehicle. Handling of corvettes with respect to german counterparts have always been a tad behind, less composed, incomplete, you come up with the word. Every generation got better but never had that porsche balance (relative to the generation so 997 gt vs c6 etc). Germans have always done more with less and corvette has always done about 90% of what germans did but with much more (power, tire, more marketing [the amount of nurburgring pictures in z06 unveil or how just in general corvette marketing with tadge coming to a stage like a talk show guy vs porsche’s understated approaches to each of these]).

What is funny is about a month or two ago everyone here were flaming me when I said there is no way ZR1 is beating gt2rs in nurburgring. Once you realized nurburgring was kaput. You guys also said that domestic tracks would be game over for porsche which now we are seeing is also not the case.
Lol u remind me of petermj

i dont recall anyone saying game over for gt2rs at domestic tracks although most argued that the zr1 would be competitive with it. I don't see a reason yet to think otherwise. It was a fair bit slower at Willow yes, however on different days and with what now seems might not even be street tires on the porsche.

the zr1 was faater at car and driver's slalom in a recent comparo with the gt2rs

the lightning lap and other comparo tests are still to come.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Btw, I stumbled upon this comparo vid with a Z06 vs. Euro supercars earlier this year. Given the times it bodes well for the ZR1 to be respectably competitive.
Honda NSX: 1.00,3 min
Audi R8 V10 Plus: 0.59,8 min
Porsche 911 GT3: 0.59,1 min
McLaren 720S: 0.58,6 min
Mercedes-AMG GT R: 0.58,4 min
Chevrolet Corvette Z06: 0.58,1 min
Lamborghini Huracan Performante: 0.57,5 min.
The following 2 users liked this post by Palantirion:
desmophile (07-15-2018), G fix needy (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:52 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default The only real way to issue those spankings! ;)

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Serious? We get to meet Johnglenn in person?!

Old 07-15-2018, 03:00 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Ballsony! ;)

Porsche had numb AWD and nightmarish GT2 RS back then, neither of which could hold a candle to the C6 ZR1! Yes, Porsche was still splicing Ringtimes and making the VID go away. It was still purely a Heavy butt 911 without a cure for the average guy!
Amazing it is!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-15-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:22 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

On my stock c6z z07, I had no problems chasing down and pulling away from very competent drivers on 991.1 platforms at the California tracks I ran at.

And it was handling they got beat in. If anything I was shocked at how well they accelerate and put the power down out of corners but I would eat them up under braking and mid corner. Their corner exit advantage simply wasn’t enough to make up for the time lost in entry and mid corner.

I haven’t ran against the 991.2 platform but from the tests I’ve seen the 991.2 GT3 and above should finally be able to pull away.
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R1

On my stock c6z z07, I had no problems chasing down and pulling away from very competent drivers on 991.1 platforms at the California tracks I ran at.

And it was handling they got beat in. If anything I was shocked at how well they accelerate and put the power down out of corners but I would eat them up under braking and mid corner. Their corner exit advantage simply wasn’t enough to make up for the time lost in entry and mid corner.

I haven’t ran against the 991.2 platform but from the tests I’ve seen the 991.2 GT3 and above should finally be able to pull away.
Which cars in 991.1? There is no way you are walking from 991.1 GT3 in your C6.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:40 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

We've already concluded, and you admitted that you don't have the track knowledge to participate in actual track discussions. Why do you continue? Just stop already.
Lavender (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Actually... no you are wrong.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Have fun. Here's me and another Z06 smoking 1 P-Car after another.

I'm the car in front. 90%+ of the drivers are capable and experienced at a private track day so this isn't some beginner group run down.

Let me know if you can find videos of stock 991.1 GT3's doing sub 1:55's at Thunderhill. Or sub 1:46's at Sonoma Raceway (sears point). Burden of proof is on you.

You can watch my youtube for my old times. I'm not going to spam videos on here needlessly. The Thuderhill and Sonoma times on video about 10 days worth of track experience total. Better drives than me can go faster.

Last edited by Robert R1; 07-15-2018 at 02:48 PM.
desmophile (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:41 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
If I recall (and was told) correctly, I don't think you can fully turn off Porsche aids, but they're much more advanced than C7 aids. They "learn" and are better at incorporating/calculating what tires are loaded, slip angle, blah blah blah and etc as well as letting you slide a little. https://www.total911.com/sales-debat...ill-add-value/
Thanks for the response. All of that computer technology is very unappealing to me.

Using engineering to build a car that performs better, while fully under the driver's control, is awesome.

However creating a platform that is closer and closer to allowing the driver to do a poss poor job, and lack car handling skills, yet still go very fast, is lame as *** quite frankly.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:55 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Have fun. Here's me and another Z06 smoking 1 P-Car after another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbyVvgIu7dk

I'm the car in front. 90%+ of the drivers are capable and experienced at a private track day so this isn't some beginner group run down.

Let me know if you can find videos of stock 991.1 GT3's doing sub 1:55's at Thunderhill. Or sub 1:46's at Sonoma Raceway (sears point). Burden of proof is on you.

You can watch my youtube for my old times. I'm not going to spam videos on here needlessly. The Thuderhill and Sonoma times on video about 10 days worth of track experience total. Better drives than me can go faster.
Nice driving Robert. I don't have a dog in this fight, but if you're looking for 991.1 times at Thunderhill, looking at the 2017 NASA Nationals... Jason Begalke (SuperFast Racing) ran a TT2 991.1 GT3 (not an RS) and went 1:53 flat. It was his first time at the track. (after he won TT2 they moved him to TTU due to not being able to dyno the car without the PIWIS cable). Car was stock 991.1 GT3 with Exhaust, RS rear wing and 18" Hoosier's.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
Nice driving Robert. I don't have a dog in this fight, but if you're looking for 991.1 times at Thunderhill, looking at the 2017 NASA Nationals... Jason Begalke (SuperFast Racing) ran a TT2 991.1 GT3 (not an RS) and went 1:53 flat. It was his first time at the track. (after he won TT2 they moved him to TTU due to not being able to dyno the car without the PIWIS cable). Car was stock 991.1 GT3 with Exhaust, RS rear wing and 18" Hoosier's.

Best Regards,
Dave
Thanks. I have tons to learn but just no time to go out there anymore so I'm going the sim racing route for a bit while the kids grow up for a few years.

For Nasa nationals, do they run the bypass for T5 as in the video above or the over the top as in the video below? The bypass is about 1-1.5 seconds faster depending on the car. \

That's a great time on the GT3 but to be fair, hoosiers and a pro change the game a bit I'd say. I'd also expect a proper race weekend to rubber in the track a bit. As any driver, I entitled to my excuses damnit!

Z06 Examples. Bill Brinkopp, local and national fast guy did 52.5's on a C6Z with just suspension and used hoosiers. I think Andrei on here put some fliers in also just on Nitto NT-01's. Then you have guys newer to the racing scene like Rich on here who are smoking fast also and can run those times.

Someone like Bill, Jason (insert other fast guys here) can run both cars faster than what I've set but let's see experienced track guys run those times or faster in a GT3.

The only reason I bring this is up in detail is this illusion that has existed where the GT3's are pure magic and untouchable and when that really isn't the case at all. If I was running 15+ days a year, I'd expect a GT3 to hold up much better than my C6Z over the season/years due to it's better build quality but outright pace? There's some hyperbole that gets thrown around too often due to the disproportionate amount of fast guys with GT3's at trackdays compared to a lot of Vette owners who either aren't pushing their cars or if they do, they end up just going racing with them.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Thanks. I have tons to learn but just no time to go out there anymore so I'm going the sim racing route for a bit while the kids grow up for a few years.

For Nasa nationals, do they run the bypass for T5 as in the video above or the over the top as in the video below? The bypass is about 1-1.5 seconds faster depending on the car. \

That's a great time on the GT3 but to be fair, hoosiers and a pro change the game a bit I'd say. I'd also expect a proper race weekend to rubber in the track a bit. As any driver, I entitled to my excuses damnit!

Z06 Examples. Bill Brinkopp, local and national fast guy did 52.5's on a C6Z with just suspension and used hoosiers. I think Andrei on here put some fliers in also just on Nitto NT-01's. Then you have guys newer to the racing scene like Rich on here who are smoking fast also and can run those times.

Someone like Bill, Jason (insert other fast guys here) can run both cars faster than what I've set but let's see experienced track guys run those times or faster in a GT3.

The only reason I bring this is up in detail is this illusion that has existed where the GT3's are pure magic and untouchable and when that really isn't the case at all. If I was running 15+ days a year, I'd expect a GT3 to hold up much better than my C6Z over the season/years due to it's better build quality but outright pace? There's some hyperbole that gets thrown around too often due to the disproportionate amount of fast guys with GT3's at trackdays compared to a lot of Vette owners who either aren't pushing their cars or if they do, they end up just going racing with them.
Agreed, and yeah Nationals ran the same config as your in car. I prefer that to without the bypass, just flows better.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-15-2018, 03:35 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Hey, I know Mooty. Bought some gutted doors for my track car from him.

Get notified of new replies

To Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!

Old 07-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Hey, I know Mooty. Bought some gutted doors for my track car from him.
Yeah he's the 1 man porsche mafia! totally cool dude and as always, small world.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:18 PM
GrapemanZR1
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz

Agreed, and yeah Nationals ran the same config as your in car. I prefer that to without the bypass, just flows better.

Best Regards,
Dave
I ran the 25 Hours at Thunderhill one year, and I think we also used that configuration. I also did one BMW Club event where they combined the tracks (I seem to recall it was over 5 miles. Super long). What an awesome venue!
Old 07-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrapemanZR1

I ran the 25 Hours at Thunderhill one year, and I think we also used that configuration. I also did one BMW Club event where they combined the tracks (I seem to recall it was over 5 miles. Super long). What an awesome venue!
Yeah, the 25hr race is great, I've been fortunate to do 3 all nighters at Thunder Hill.

I haven't ran the combined 5 mile configuration yet, looks like a blast.

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by Dave Schotz; 07-15-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!