C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Is March the end of the C7 ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 10:24 AM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

LT5 crate engines are being announced at SEMA. Sure looks like they're trying to get rid of them, unless they're building engines faster than they can get carbon fibre bits.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:29 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Do you have any proof of this or is it just your opinion?
I spoke to people who directly saw “material” referencing this.

No one will have “proof” for this until GM announces it.

My point about the build numbers is more important than if there is a 2020 ZR1.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:33 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

I spoke to people who directly saw “material” referencing this.

No one will have “proof” for this until GM announces it.

My point about the build numbers is more important than if there is a 2020 ZR1.
There are also people who have "sources" that contradict you. The point is, neither you nor anyone else knows so making statements like "there will be no 2020 ZR1" is complete speculation based on no facts. It could end up being true but at this time we don't know.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:19 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
There are also people who have "sources" that contradict you. The point is, neither you nor anyone else knows so making statements like "there will be no 2020 ZR1" is complete speculation based on no facts. It could end up being true but at this time we don't know.
If we should not speculate, 90% of this forum posts along with probably 50% of entire world media need to be ignored.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:22 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,344 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

If we should not speculate, 90% of this forum posts along with probably 50% of entire world media need to be ignored.
. . . and that is a great idea!
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

IMO GM builds 2019 Corvettes like crazy between now and the C8 retool next year. Then make only C8’s. There will be enough C7’s available for those that prefer the FE design well into the 2019 calandar year and probably into 2020. This is a two edge sword: The C8 will be the latest and greatest technology for the C7 to compete with on one hand; on the other, the 2019 could be the last FE Corvette ever made since the brand introduced in 1953. There will be a decent number of people who want one the last of that heritage. There is a difference in having ‘16, ‘17 and ‘18 holdovers when everyone knew there would be a ‘19 C7 and knowing the ‘19 C7 would be the last of an era.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 10-21-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:25 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria
IMO GM builds 2019 Corvettes like crazy between now and the C8 retool next year. Then make only C8’s. There will be enough C7’s available for those that prefer the FE design well into the 2019 calandar year and probably into 2020. This is a two edge sword: The C8 will be the latest and greatest technology for the C7 to compete with on one hand; on the other, the 2019 could be the last FE Corvette ever made since the brand introduced in 1953. There will be a decent number of people who want one the last of that heritage. There is a difference in having ‘16, ‘17 and ‘18 holdovers when everyone knew there would be a ‘19 C7 and knowing the ‘19 C7 would be the last of an era.
C8 is a completely different car. Look at those pictures, it has a massive wheelbase and size, too wide, sounds absolutely atrocious, no manual transmission. Its the kind of car you make to attract buyers from BMWs 4 class, base 911, ferrari, mclaren, etc but NOT people like me who are more in the porsche GT camp, who prefer a raw, hardcore, no sound deadening/bump ride/manual transmission/big wing car. So what they will do is they will push people like me out of the brand but will make multiples of that back by getting all kinds of other buyers simply because they wanted an exotic car and didnt want an american car with big v8 in the front.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:42 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,344 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

You've got to be kidding! Already criticizing a Corvette that we have few facts about and hasn't even been introduced yet?
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

C8 is a completely different car. Look at those pictures, it has a massive wheelbase and size, too wide, sounds absolutely atrocious, no manual transmission. Its the kind of car you make to attract buyers from BMWs 4 class, base 911, ferrari, mclaren, etc but NOT people like me who are more in the porsche GT camp, who prefer a raw, hardcore, no sound deadening/bump ride/manual transmission/big wing car. So what they will do is they will push people like me out of the brand but will make multiples of that back by getting all kinds of other buyers simply because they wanted an exotic car and didnt want an american car with big v8 in the front.
I don’t think the C8 will be bigger. It may be optical with the cab moved forward. If anything, it should drive “smaller”. The handling advantage of weight concentration in the center of the car cant be disputed, but how discernible that is at street speeds is up for arguement. Its hard to make an arguement in favor of the ME design from a daily driver practicality point of view. IMO, it will be surprise if a pushrod LT engine is not offerred in early C8’s, but I dont think its a lock. The cars testing at Nürburgring sound like turbos to me. GM’s patent application of the “fly by wire” electric clutch assembly gives serious hope for a manual trans C8 option.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 10-21-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:04 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

There is no C7 ZR1 beyond March 31.

But

EVEN IF there is, considering Chevy only makes 1600/year. What are you worried about?

Porsche makes TWICE as many GT cars a year and they sell for MSRP at best for a long time.
I'm pretty confident that people you spoke to didn't see anything like 'There is no C7 ZR1 beyond March 31.' statements anywhere. That statement sounds like a conclusion of other intel. Could you elaborate how that conclusion was arrived at without revealing source or specific details of course? That would certainly provide more credibility to your stand.

I'm not looking for a discount on the MSRP (won't turn it down if that's the case), more concerned about availability. Right now availability is limited to non-popular option configuration. Taking an offered 'allocation' still presents an element of uncertainty.

I recall a 2000/year (or thereabout) target mentioned before, but never that number for the entire C7 ZR1 model (unlike the Ford GT).

Last edited by range96; 10-21-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:25 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

I don’t think the C8 will be bigger. It may be optical with the cab moved forward. If anything, it should drive “smaller”. The handling advantage of weight concentration in the center of the car cant be disputed, but how discernible that is at street speeds is up for arguement. Its hard to make an arguement in favor of the ME design from a daily driver practicality point of view. IMO, it will be surprise if a pushrod LT engine is not offerred in early C8’s, but I dont think its a lock. The cars testing at Nürburgring sound like turbos to me. GM’s patent application of the “fly by wire” electric clutch assembly gives serious hope for a manual trans C8 option.
Have you seen the nurburgring videos of C8? Its pretty massive for a rear engine car (comparing to 911 or mclaren)? Its much more ferrari dimension wise than 911. It clearly has a long wheelbase (again look at the videos).

Porsche does not look disproportionate because its rear engine does it?

Anyways, I dont need to see the press release to figure out 90% certainty some basics about the car. It is built to appeal to certain market segment. I am not in that market segment. C7 is I think as big and as heavy as I can accept a pure sports car. Even Z06 is massive next to a gt3. It has a wheelbase 9 full inches longer than a porsche. This C8 is even even worse in terms of length. They do that for a reason because they want the car to ride comfortably, they want also people who arent necessarily slim to fit in it. C8 is a luxurious grand tourer. It will go fast, handle fine, but its not going to give you the “wearing a sock like” experience you get driving a smaller wheelbase Porsche.

I am getting a ZR1 so stop calling me names. I take the car for what it is and I am not an ignorant like others. I think its still a great car but its at the limit of what a sports car should be pure physical dimensions wise. I know all about the “feels like a smaller car” argument. I will just counter that with suggestion of driving a car with much smaller wheelbase (96” to be exact). It feels like a toy car to be honest tossing around the corners.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Have you seen the nurburgring videos of C8? Its pretty massive for a rear engine car (comparing to 911 or mclaren)? Its much more ferrari dimension wise than 911. It clearly has a long wheelbase (again look at the videos).

Porsche does not look disproportionate because its rear engine does it?

Anyways, I dont need to see the press release to figure out 90% certainty some basics about the car. It is built to appeal to certain market segment. I am not in that market segment. C7 is I think as big and as heavy as I can accept a pure sports car. Even Z06 is massive next to a gt3. It has a wheelbase 9 full inches longer than a porsche. This C8 is even even worse in terms of length. They do that for a reason because they want the car to ride comfortably, they want also people who arent necessarily slim to fit in it. C8 is a luxurious grand tourer. It will go fast, handle fine, but its not going to give you the “wearing a sock like” experience you get driving a smaller wheelbase Porsche.

I am getting a ZR1 so stop calling me names. I take the car for what it is and I am not an ignorant like others. I think its still a great car but its at the limit of what a sports car should be pure physical dimensions wise. I know all about the “feels like a smaller car” argument. I will just counter that with suggestion of driving a car with much smaller wheelbase (96” to be exact). It feels like a toy car to be honest tossing around the corners.
I don’t think I called you names.. didn’t intend to for sure. Yes, the 911 does have a shorter wheelbase and feels more nimble. A couple years ago I did the Porsche driving experience from Stuttgard to Alsace and back thru the Black Forest in a 911 Carrera 2S. Car handled great in less than ideal road conditions. It was October and Porsche actually put hp winter tires on the cars. cold wet pavement. I came home and immediately did Blue Ridge Parkway in my Audi RS5... believe it or not, the 911 and the Audi have very similar handling characteristics, despite being complete opposites on paper... and the RS5 has a longer wheelbase than the Vette besides. The Corvette takes more skill to drive well than either. It is far less forgiving. They are all fun though.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 10-21-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:30 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Sightseeing rides and track driving is like night and day. I enjoy both kinds, but I cannot imagine being able to enjoy the scenery while focusing hard at the edge of adhesion. I can barely see the corner workers as I'm focusing on the turn in point, apex, rpm, track out. That's why they put corner workers 'in your line of sight'. Of course, after a few hundred laps on the same track you could probably do a lap with your eyes closed. I did drive on the autobahn, but don't remember too much about the countryside. You need to keep an eye on the road/traffic more so nowadays as quite a few cars pull out to the fast lane unexpectedly, even in Germany.
Right now, my lap target is March 31. Or early January when 2020 model year plans are revealed by GM.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by range96
Sightseeing rides and track driving is like night and day. I enjoy both kinds, but I cannot imagine being able to enjoy the scenery while focusing hard at the edge of adhesion. I can barely see the corner workers as I'm focusing on the turn in point, apex, rpm, track out. That's why they put corner workers 'in your line of sight'. Of course, after a few hundred laps on the same track you could probably do a lap with your eyes closed. I did drive on the autobahn, but don't remember too much about the countryside. You need to keep an eye on the road/traffic more so nowadays as quite a few cars pull out to the fast lane unexpectedly, even in Germany.
Right now, my lap target is March 31. Or early January when 2020 model year plans are revealed by GM.
What Porsche does is put a pro driver out in front of a group of 5 cars. Walkie talkie communication to the passenger in each car. Getting continual radio alerts of any oncoming traffic or hazards through the twisty mountain roads. When you hit France the speeds come down dranatically. Observe all speed limits in the little towns in both counties and that’s where the site seeing happens. If GM did something like this in the US, they’d get shut down in a heartbeat. (Pardon the pun). We were able to use both sides of the road in the turns and it was a blast sliding the 911’s around in them. I believe the deductible was $2500 for damage (they said its usualy rim damage) but no one in the group had to pay it. There was one cracked windshield Porsche didn’t charge the customer for. Our driving pro said the program isn’t designed to be a profit center, rather their data shows many participants buy Porsches afterwards. On the way back we did one wide open stretch on the Autobahn... I was told by the pro we hit 160... I sure as hell wasnt watching the speedo. It seemed a lot faster to me than going 160 at Road America. (according to my GPS)

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 10-26-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:42 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

What Porsche does is put a pro driver out in front of a group of 5 cars. Walkie talkie communication to the passenger in each car. Getting continual radio alerts of any oncoming traffic or hazards through the twisty mountain roads. When you hit France the speeds come down dranatically. Observe all speed limits in the little towns in both counties and that’s where the site seeing happens. If GM did something like this in the US, they’d get shut down in a heartbeat. (Pardon the pun). We were able to use both sides of the road in the turns and it was a blast sliding the 911’s around in them. I believe the deductible was $2500 for damage (they said its usualy rim damage) but no one in the group had to pay it. There was one cracked windshield Porsche didn’t charge the customer for. Our driving pro said the program isn’t designed to be a profit center, rather their data shows many participants buy Porsches afterwards. On the way back we did one wide open stretch on the Autobahn... I was told by the pro we hit 160... I sure as hell wasnt watching the speedo. It seemed a lot faster to me than going 160 at Road America. (according to my GPS)
I didn't know about the Porsche program. I drove my own car there but it has a governor to limit speed to 155mph. I understand the European models did not have the same limit and the car tops out around 180. It was an early AMG car. I only drove it fast on highways and once traffic built up it seemed like snail pace doing 90-100.

HTXSkydiver is planning on a Continental trip with his ZR1, but he's taking a southern route (more scenic than performance driving).

Back to topic, Criswell Chevrolet doesn't have any allocation, but the Sales Manager did NOT rule out a 2020 ZR1 model.

Last edited by range96; 10-26-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by range96
I didn't know about the Porsche program. I drove my own car there but it has a governor to limit speed to 155mph. I understand the European models did not have the same limit and the car tops out around 180. It was an early AMG car. I only drove it fast on highways and once traffic built up it seemed like snail pace doing 90-100.

HTXSkydiver is planning on a Continental trip with his ZR1, but he's taking a southern route (more scenic than performance driving).

Back to topic, Criswell Chevrolet doesn't have any allocation, but the Sales Manager did NOT rule out a 2020 ZR1 model.
Autobahn: It didn’t get scary until we passed a long line of semi trucks doing 100kph and there was a guard rail about 10 ft to my left as a divider... I thought I was driving into a funnel... it was a weird sensation. I just fixated on the tailights of the Porsche 4 car lengths ahead of me with my left foot hovering over the brake.. wouldn’t care to do that part again actually. Haha
Old 10-26-2018, 07:07 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Autobahn: It didn’t get scary until we passed a long line of semi trucks doing 100kph and there was a guard rail about 10 ft to my left as a divider... I thought I was driving into a funnel... it was a weird sensation. I just fixated on the tailights of the Porsche 4 car lengths ahead of me with my left foot hovering over the brake.. wouldn’t care to do that part again actually. Haha
It takes a while to get use to high speed. If you can focus farther ahead that helps a lot. Mixing high speed and traffic is a bad idea even on the autobahn. European drivers take a lot more 'chances' than the safety conscience US counterparts. You really have to 'slow' down your interaction with the controls of the car (steering, gas, brakes) to stay smooth at high speed. A string of semis 'coming at me' would freak me out, too. If you have passengers, that makes it even worse.

Get notified of new replies

To Is March the end of the C7 ZR1?

Old 10-30-2018, 05:32 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ67
The C7 and C8 I thought were going to be produced for a year or so together. The C7 supposedly is good till 2020 or 2021.
Do you really think any car company would do that? No way they do that
Old 10-30-2018, 05:44 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NytmereZ

I see you're new to this thread as your question has been repeatedly debated here...

Last edited by range96; 10-30-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ

There was talk of the factory having this capability, do I think GM will do it no.
It’s not unheard of though. I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL generation which replaced the JK but Jeep made 2018 JK and JL generation Wranglers at the same time for the 2018 model year.

Quick Reply: Is March the end of the C7 ZR1?