C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Oldest order without Tpw?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:15 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

For anyone interested in seeing who has their facts straight here, check out old youtubes of Streetspeed 717. They begin with the ordering process, the confirm of build date, delivery and even the first low wing car was referred to as “my ZR1”... salesman bragged about it being the 1st customer manual ZR1 to be delivered . The car was kept at his home in his garage... his buddies business applied Xpel to it.. check it out. Still sound like a loaner?
Believe everything you see on youtube? I have no dog in this fight, but know the circumstances first hand, the car was sold as new (Demo) after Streetspeed was done with it. Streetspeed never actually purchased the car (VIN 0004, low wing, 7-speed), what you saw on youtube was just hype by him. He makes his living from youtube.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:23 AM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

He admitted the first ZR1 was not his and in fact a demo. He claimed the second one was legit his and signed the paper work for it only to sell it not long after.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:33 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Believe everything you see on youtube? I have no dog in this fight, but know the circumstances first hand, the car was sold as new (Demo) after Streetspeed was done with it. Streetspeed never actually purchased the car (VIN 0004, low wing, 7-speed), what you saw on youtube was just hype by him. He makes his living from youtube.
We are on the same page here...I was repeating what he was SAYING... not in fact what the situation was. He did show his hand (that he didnt own the first one) just before the second one showed up. Everything about the beating it from day one... street and drag strip racing it before break in was the content of his youtubes. So it was the dealer who pulled strings for him to get the cars. No doubt for the publicity they got from his channel. GM may not have known anything about him. The salesman bragged about pulling strings to get a manual so early on, however. It seems incredulous to me they didnt mention to GM the car was going to a Youtube celebrity.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 10-22-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:34 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

We are on the same page here...I was repeating what he was SAYING... not in fact what the situation was. He did show his hand (that he didnt own the first one) just before the second one showed up. Everything about the beating it from day one... street and drag strip racing it before break in was the content of his youtubes. So it was the dealer who pulled strings for him to get the cars. No doubt for the publicity they got from his channel. GM may not have known anything about him. The salesman bragged about pulling strings to get a manual so early on, however. It seems incredulous to me they didnt mention to GM the car was going to a Youtube celebrity.
I believe there was a $5K charge to choose the VIN #, that was probably the extent of 'pulling strings'. It was the first manual sent to a dealer. I did see the videos, but my info didn't come from that. I was very vocal about the moral etiquette when this was going down, but supposedly the dealer didn't break any PA laws. In a civil case it could go either way. It didn't come to that and everyone seems to be happy about the outcome. Pretty unusual circumstances.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:02 PM
cartester
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zedbyers
for the love of god, why isn't a sold order given priority over an unsold one.
Sorry about your long wait. I know how frustrating that can be but yours seems excessive.

As far as GM is concerned, however, all cars are sold cars. GM sells them to dealers and then the dealer can do what they want with it. Sell it, keep it, display it, mark it up, "loan" it to a youtuber, whatever.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:19 AM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

I know Mike and Matt (dealer) personally and know for a fact that the first car was not Mike’s and was never put in his name. The second car was actually his. The reason Mike was able to get the cars so quickly is they did a personalized vin which allowed them to get the cars fairly quickly one after the other.

People may not agree with how Mike uses his cars or the language he uses but he’s a good dude and will give you the shirt off of his back. I’m sure people here uses language as much if not worse than he uses....its just he chooses to vlog about his life.

Last edited by D'ZR1 Messiah; 10-23-2018 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:07 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by D'ZR1 Messiah
I know Mike and Matt (dealer) personally and know for a fact that the first car was not Mike’s and was never put in his name. The second car was actually his. The reason Mike was able to get the cars so quickly is they did a personalized vin which allowed them to get the cars fairly quickly one after the other.

People may not agree with how Mike uses his cars or the language he uses but he’s a good dude and will give you the shirt off of his back. I’m sure people here uses language as much if not worse than he uses....its just he chooses to vlog about his life.
I only watched Mike’s vlog for a short time but concluded he was basically a nice kid. I did think there was some deception involved in the arrangement with the first car. I, for one, assumed Mike had bought that car and was planning to sell it when the ZTK model arrived. I’ll stick with my belief that vlogs like this that depict street racing are harmful to their younger users. I’m certain Mike comes across as something of a god to teen boys just getting their driver’s licenses. Just by slapping “Mexican Highway” tags on the highway racing scenes doesnt make it right IMO. Some of the speeds I’ve seen on public roads fall into the reckless driving/drag racing catagory. I’m surprised he’s not been given a stern warning by law enforcement regarding the posting of such vids. With over 700k subscribers, you can assume he’s having influence on the driving habits of some young impressionable minds. That’s my gripe. Then he sells the 2nd ZR1 “before it loses value”, he stated. All this happening, while other GM customers sit patiently waiting for their first ZR1.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:36 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't forget about that other youtube'r in Oklahoma that was one of the first to get a car but since sold it....

Without me mentioning anyone by name or his dealership, you may have noticed that a certain celebrity youtuber got not one, but two ZR1’s , both manuals, early on, which he has already sold. The first had a single digit Vin I believe.. beat it like a rented mule before the breakin period. Missed the first required oil change. So GM rewarded him a second. Personally, I didnt think it was a smart move for GM to be rewarding someone who promotes street racing with preferential treatment on getting their most desiresble car. Bad advertising IMO. The kid himself is a nice guy, but what he promotes, is juvenile. My point is simply that someone at GM decides who gets “what” and “when”. It isnt based on the date your order went in or was accepted.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:11 AM
Jack-TX
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

I placed my order in January, still no TPW... About July I got really motivated and found a GM exec willing to help. he said the allocation was slated for Q4, which I later found out meant Dec-Jan-Feb... Very frustrating...but now, just for fun, I am shooting to be the dead last car off the assembly line for '19.

BTW I think 717's channel is very good, I enjoy the fact that he DRIVES his cars and has fun using them. In my opinion, it didn't hurt that ZR1 one bit it was driven hard before the break in period. He is doing something right, now has a 720S, and still having fun. I enjoyed Chuck's channel as well, but I find it interesting that neither person kept their ZR1 for more than a month or two... hype men??
Old 10-24-2018, 08:51 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jack-TX
I placed my order in January, still no TPW... About July I got really motivated and found a GM exec willing to help. he said the allocation was slated for Q4, which I later found out meant Dec-Jan-Feb... Very frustrating...but now, just for fun, I am shooting to be the dead last car off the assembly line for '19.

BTW I think 717's channel is very good, I enjoy the fact that he DRIVES his cars and has fun using them. In my opinion, it didn't hurt that ZR1 one bit it was driven hard before the break in period. He is doing something right, now has a 720S, and still having fun. I enjoyed Chuck's channel as well, but I find it interesting that neither person kept their ZR1 for more than a month or two... hype men??
I like that Mike enjoys his cars as well. Buy tell me: when you get your new ZR1, will you do long redline tiresmoking burnouts, do multiple 1/4 mile runs, and turnpike drag race you new ZR1... all before the breakin period and go well beyond the GM’s advised 500mi 1st oil change? Just curious.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 10-24-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Oldest order without Tpw?