C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Time to Kill Nurburgring Lap Record Reporting

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
What's up with all the emoji's? You are starting to look like you know who...... Doppelganger?​​​​​
I was trying to add color... please don't put me in the category of you know who. My opinions are based from track time, not mag articles.

Put on Hoosiers and watch the ZR1 walk away, even while cutting power. Equal drivers, real world, the ZR1 wins most every time, and you know it. The Porsche will usually have better drivers on average though (at least around here they do). We will see soon enough though.
​​​​​
That is definitely what I plan to do... the part where somehow (and maybe it just doesn't come out in writing/text very well)... I don't care what car has the fastest laps, with me behind the wheel... I will represent that car to the best of it's ability. Once I reset most the track records here in the RS... I'll plan to do my best in a ZR1 at a later date... no question.

Where we don't agree... and I just wish we could respect each other's difference of opinion, I sure have a lot of seat time to support mine, and I assume you have a lot to support yours... is that 90% of the time the GT2RS is going to beat the ZR1... like for like tires. And I believe it's going to be 50/50 with the 3RS... for two reasons (well probably more)... but two major reasons... the RS is going to be 460/470 to the rear... the ZR1 puts 650 so you have about 200 hp... that realistically becomes closer to 150hp difference once We're talking about a car with 150 more real world hp... and 300+ more lbs on the track... and significantly more weight over the nose.

To me, there are enough differences between the two, positive & negative, that it's more track dependent than I realize you believe it to be.

Dave
Old 11-09-2018, 06:01 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Outstanding!!!!! ;)

Dave Sholtz is going to lay down a time and VID at VIR! I can't wait, and I bet I'm not alone!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-09-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:10 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Dave Sholtz is going to lay down a time and VID at VIR! I can't wait, and I bet I'm not alone!
I'm a west coast boy, sorry. While I've raced at Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio... We don't make that haul often, unless a National Championship event.

Dave
Old 11-09-2018, 06:13 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default But Pobst limited your backing it up already! ;)

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz

I'm a west coast boy, sorry. While I've raced at Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio... We don't make that haul often, unless a National Championship event.

Dave
That was easy!

Best Regards!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-09-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
That was easy!

Best Regards!
You really are a tool, I'm done responding to your nonsense.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:45 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Damn! ;)

I was hoping we finally had a Racer over there. Unfortunately this is all speculation all the time!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-09-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I was trying to add color... please don't put me in the category of you know who. My opinions are based from track time, not mag articles.

That is definitely what I plan to do... the part where somehow (and maybe it just doesn't come out in writing/text very well)... I don't care what car has the fastest laps, with me behind the wheel... I will represent that car to the best of it's ability. Once I reset most the track records here in the RS... I'll plan to do my best in a ZR1 at a later date... no question.

Where we don't agree... and I just wish we could respect each other's difference of opinion, I sure have a lot of seat time to support mine, and I assume you have a lot to support yours... is that 90% of the time the GT2RS is going to beat the ZR1... like for like tires. And I believe it's going to be 50/50 with the 3RS... for two reasons (well probably more)... but two major reasons... the RS is going to be 460/470 to the rear... the ZR1 puts 650 so you have about 200 hp... that realistically becomes closer to 150hp difference once We're talking about a car with 150 more real world hp... and 300+ more lbs on the track... and significantly more weight over the nose.

To me, there are enough differences between the two, positive & negative, that it's more track dependent than I realize you believe it to be.

Dave
Yes, I think the GT2 is faster than the ZR1 pretty much all the time. (but maybe not if it's out of sray but the ZR1 isnt cutting timing). All these asterisks for the one lap wonders are getting annoying. I would have expected Porsche to be able to provide a reliable 700 hp without the use of gimmicks.

Anyhow, the ZR1 isn't reliably on top of its game enough to call it a GT2 RS competitor.

I know the 3RS will give the ZR1 all it can handle on very tight courses with low speed corners. But high average speed tracks that don't necessarily have lots of straights should benefit the ZR1 as well. Im thinking like Roebling Road, maybe Summit Point. The C7 chassy is very planted in high speed sections. It just doesn't put power down well exiting slow speed stuff without leaning on PTM which also isn't ideal. I don't know why it under achieves so much on the west coast. Like I said, I still think we will see better drivers in the Porsches mostly but if you can do back to backs, that's solid comparison.

QUOTE=Dave Schotz;1598309701]

Dave
[/QUOTE]
​​​​​​​Mid Ohio?
Old 11-09-2018, 08:42 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Switch tires against those RWD Porsches! ;)

You might even be able to not use 'Race Mode.'
Make sure we have an Entertaining video.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-09-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Mid Ohio?
Yeah, last events I ran at Mid Ohio were for SCCA Runoffs Touring 2 in 2005, and NASA Championships PTB 2008.

Best Regards,
Dave
The following users liked this post:
johnglenntwo (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Yeah, last events I ran at Mid Ohio were for SCCA Runoffs Touring 2 in 2005, and NASA Championships PTB 2008.

Best Regards,
Dave
In the same car?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

In the same car?
No, (Similar though) 2005, I had purchased my first T2 Car, (Phil Croyle 1998 Z28)... boy did I get a lesson in buying someone else's 'prepped race car'... but the price of entry was right... just another $20K to bring it up to snuff... ended up winning the Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the year, qualified on the Pole at my first Runoffs. However, blew 3rd gear on the start... and ended up 8th that year.

2006 & 2007 SCCA moved to Heartland Park, I sold the Camaro, and purchased a Phoenix built T2 2001 Firebird, put on the front row at Heartland park, out qualifying Heinricy in his American Sedan car, and I was in a Stock Firebird! Failed Rear ABS sensor, casused a wonderful mechanical put me mid pack and taught us to only use OEM sensors (and put a new one in just before a championship race, as the F-Body's really cooked their rear diffs.

2007 the car was prepped to the limit, Rebello Race Motor ($9K for a Blue Printed and Balanced LS1 that made 350 RWHP/RWTQ through stock exhaust manifolds & cats!). Then learned about the 'politcs' in racing... when Pontiac 'Bought' the Touring 2 class... with their 'unlimited boost', 'aftermarket' (though called factory) carbon fiber top with riveted in lexan rear window), 18x10" wide wheels, and the rest of us on 'oem wheels' (16x8's lol) and truly stock cars... Don Knowles would go on and win, followed by 2 other Solstice GXP's... I would take 4th that year, beating 'every' CTS V, EVO, 350Z, Camaro, Firebird etc... Speed TV would interview me as 'Best of The Rest' LOL! As they knew as well... Pontiac had bought this year's runoffs... (and believe it or not, I'm still a Pontiac fan over Camaro)

2008, I decided enough of the 'car of the month' and mid year rule changes SCCA touring series provided, and moved onto NASA... Their runoffs would bring us back to Mid-Ohio, I ran the same T2 Firebird in PTB, with a change to wider wheels, and a strut tower brace... and Won the PTB championship. I then dual entered the car, and ran the stock Firebird in American Iron, and finished top 5... which led the way for 4th Gens to be considered 'competitive' in AI... which before my charge, was a predominantly Mustang dominated class.

Stuck with NASA ever since... as the 'rule changes' were far easier to deal with (IMO).

Best Regards,
Dave

Old 11-10-2018, 03:00 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default ^^^Hence, a Porsche owner on an American Corvette Forum!^^^

I knew it was in there. Please help us Actually prove something someday!
(Porsche can win!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-10-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:59 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Best Regards,
Dave
You plan on going to NASA nationals at Mid O next year?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

You plan on going to NASA nationals at Mid O next year?
We're 50/50 right now.. My current ST3 car is for sale, so depends on how that ends up.

I may just bring the RS, but it's quite the haul for TT.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 11-10-2018, 11:24 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

We're 50/50 right now.. My current ST3 car is for sale, so depends on how that ends up.

I may just bring the RS, but it's quite the haul for TT.

Best Regards,
Dave
agree, especially with the poor scheduling. Test day on Thursday, twiddle fingers all day Friday until one session at the very END of the day. Then compete Sat. Sun. Screw that if you are learning a new track. I'll go because I know mid Ohio already. At least one weekend worth.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:41 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Your entire post is as accurate as your last quote!

August 2017??? I was 3 months away from picking up my 2018 GT3! Hadn't ordered an RS until April of this year.

Again, your conspiracy theories are humorous at best, yet all the magazines are showing the 2RS 2 to 4 seconds quicker on our American tracks, in fully equipped cars.

Plenty of track focused cars have options to delete A/C and radio, i.e. GT350R / Z28.
The cars in the mags have been fully loaded.

If you can find me a set of magical 4+ second dot tires, I'd like to purchase them for my competition series starting next year.

Dave
:-) Yes Dave...you ordered the RS in April, thank you for sharing that. Speaking of accuracy, you obviously missed my statement since it mentions dates you started posting/pitching your intent to order an RS not the date you ordered the RS. I am sure one morning April 18 you had an epiphany and walked down the Porsche dealer and ordered one.. ;-)

Anyway, this "RS pitch" thing is not a big deal...accuracy does have it's cost and, unlike analyzing the EPA's weight measuring standards and table's of weights and measures to find out the REAL weights of the 2018 GT3 and GT2RS, it's certainly not worth combing the CF for your postings on RS pitching. I SPECULATE you started the RS selling right before/after the Porsche GT3RS announcements on the fake ring times.

The rest of the reply is garble.. but I think we can agree that at least "my conspiracy theories" turned true are beneficial to the CF discussion for everybody's benefit..

I mean look at Dave's postings and accuracy now versus a year ago..

Dave's weight delta GT3RS - ZR1: 600 pounds in September 17. 300 pounds in November 18.
Dave's take on GT2RS and GT3RS tires for Nurb fake record: 'conspiracy theory' Sept 17. "OK..they do exist and they are legit (stock) Feb/march 18. OK..they are not legit (yet), they are used in tests only but that does not matter because they are not as good as people think.. Nov. 18.

So I am opening another GT2RS vs ZR1 "front" on you Dave and this time I really thing the CF can leverage your racing skills as well as Porsche knowledge on this one as it is my understanding it is all about maintaining optimal (RPM) speeds throughout.

Pre amble and Q: The GT2RS press kit mentions the spray kit is engaged/triggered by different parameters. The one that caught my attention was the triggering at the 3000RPM mark. This is irrelevant of throttle position and air temperatures. So Correct if I am wrong: GT2RS 2x nozzles per interchangers 125ml x minute (when engaged >3000) = 500ml per minute. 5 liter tank = 10 minutes above 3000 RPM. After that, in a race context, it is immediate nannies for 25% power reduction. Not clear what happens after that..

Q: One on one GT2RS vs ZR1 any track for more that an heroes' lap..let's say 15/25 minute "race". Can a racer manage to beat a ZR1 by keeping below 3000 RPM? How would a racer reconcile a ten minute tank with a 15/25 minute session against the ZR1? Keep below 3000 RPM and wait for the Zr1 to overheat and pull timing? Then catch up? Install a 30 liter tank/modding?

Assuming marginal driving skills deltas..what would be your race strategy?

Last edited by Telepierre; 11-11-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:28 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Back to OP's point on fudged heroes laps versus real track capability. Since I am a "conspiracy theorist" /sarc.. I'd like to start another one..

went to you tube and searched for video documented track sessions explicit or implied in video counter above 15 minutes for both GT2RS (WW intro June 2017) and ZR1 (WW intro November 17):

ZR1: 28 videos
GT2RS: 0 videos

Why is that?

Get notified of new replies

To Time to Kill Nurburgring Lap Record Reporting

Old 11-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Back to OP's point on fudged heroes laps versus real track capability. Since I am a "conspiracy theorist" /sarc.. I'd like to start another one..

went to you tube and searched for video documented track sessions explicit or implied in video counter above 15 minutes for both GT2RS (WW intro June 2017) and ZR1 (WW intro November 17):

Why is that?
LOL... this is because at 14 minutes and 58 seconds... the GT2RS self destructs.

This guy has something like 200+ laps around the Ring (and other tracks) all in his GT2RS...

Dave
Old 11-11-2018, 12:35 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Lol! Now you are feeding the conspiracy...
Old 11-11-2018, 12:39 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Telepierre

Why is that?
There are a lot of Porsche guys who don't record Video, or record it, but don't post it to YouTube/etc. I ride with a lot of them. Some use vimeo and and or only share with friends or coaches. Some people that don't have a lot of viewership won't show up on the first few pages. And if you don't title the video correctly (some just leave the source file title) it won't show up in searches at all. Some don't post due to not caring enough to post it. Some due to exclusions in insurance (life) policies.

The culture is different, and the Porsches don't have cosworth to make it as easy. Besides the 2 RS also has far fewer examples and people willing to risk putting them on track.

​​​
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (11-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Time to Kill Nurburgring Lap Record Reporting