C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Need Weapon-X mod feedback/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 01:22 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Need Weapon-X mod feedback/opinions

I am new to Corvettes, not at all news to the automotive aftermarket. As such I am skeptical first, having known quite a few snake oil salesmen in my time. That being said I like the ideas behind the mods Weapon-X has for the ZR1 and since mine is now code 2000 I am collecting accessories prior to its arrival. The real question is: Do they work?

I've seen some good vids about the boost chiller and shaker hood cooling system, but don't recall anything I would consider adequate testing publication regarding the following mods that I am interested in. If you are reading this then you probably already know more about Corvette tuners and the C7 than I do, so I would appreciate feedback on the following:
1) Adjustable toe rods. I will be occasionally tracking my ZR1, and always seem to prefer custom alignments on my cars to factory.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...=8738691874907
2) Their intake tube (I have the GMPP intake already), but no posted dyno results.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...13590577545265
3) Their ported TB. This would only be considered if the intake tube was also a go. I would like to see actual proof that this mod actually makes a meaningful difference in HP.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...=8738580004955
4) Considering the x-pipe too. Partly for performance, partly to smooth the LT5's sound.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...=6311064961051
5) And the CF rocker ducts. But I am not sure if the Weapon-X CF matches the ZR1s. Feedback appreciated.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...12384602783793

Any and all opinions welcomed, whether regarding individual mods or the company as a whole.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:46 AM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

I don’t have any direct answers and suspect only a few do. I get the impression not many have been modifying theirs yet. I’m in a similar boat as you. I just got my zr1 two days ago. My air intake is on my tool box. I ordered the weapon x intake pipe. Being familiar with these types of blowers I’m pretty confident it will make a difference. I would like to do more but will have to wait for the ability to tune these. I really want to do flex fuel, pulleys, and other mods when possible. Weapon x seems to be the one who has been the one to push these cars and I think he has provided some good information. I’m hoping other vendors will get on board soon too. Btw I see you are in California. Which part? I’m in the east bay.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:41 AM
pibohmark
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I had Ben at Weapon X modify by car just after about 300 miles. In a previous post, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thoughts.html

you can see the pre-mod dyno pulls were very close to the factory specs.

I opted for the crossover pipe, throttle body, pully, intake tube in conjunction with the factory ordered and installed air cleaner. The dyno results previously published brought the HP to 849, a substantial increase and a huge bang for the buck. I have since tracked the car at Barber and will be at Daytona Next weekend. The already quick car is simply a beast.
The following 2 users liked this post by pibohmark:
Ben@WeaponX (11-25-2018), Palantirion (11-26-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:45 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Palantirion
I am new to Corvettes, not at all news to the automotive aftermarket. As such I am skeptical first, having known quite a few snake oil salesmen in my time. That being said I like the ideas behind the mods Weapon-X has for the ZR1 and since mine is now code 2000 I am collecting accessories prior to its arrival. The real question is: Do they work?

I've seen some good vids about the boost chiller and shaker hood cooling system, but don't recall anything I would consider adequate testing publication regarding the following mods that I am interested in. If you are reading this then you probably already know more about Corvette tuners and the C7 than I do, so I would appreciate feedback on the following:
1) Adjustable toe rods. I will be occasionally tracking my ZR1, and always seem to prefer custom alignments on my cars to factory.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...=8738691874907
2) Their intake tube (I have the GMPP intake already), but no posted dyno results.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...13590577545265
3) Their ported TB. This would only be considered if the intake tube was also a go. I would like to see actual proof that this mod actually makes a meaningful difference in HP.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...=8738580004955
4) Considering the x-pipe too. Partly for performance, partly to smooth the LT5's sound.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...=6311064961051
5) And the CF rocker ducts. But I am not sure if the Weapon-X CF matches the ZR1s. Feedback appreciated.
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...12384602783793

Any and all opinions welcomed, whether regarding individual mods or the company as a whole.
Originally Posted by ss2z06
I don’t have any direct answers and suspect only a few do. I get the impression not many have been modifying theirs yet. I’m in a similar boat as you. I just got my zr1 two days ago. My air intake is on my tool box. I ordered the weapon x intake pipe. Being familiar with these types of blowers I’m pretty confident it will make a difference. I would like to do more but will have to wait for the ability to tune these. I really want to do flex fuel, pulleys, and other mods when possible. Weapon x seems to be the one who has been the one to push these cars and I think he has provided some good information. I’m hoping other vendors will get on board soon too. Btw I see you are in California. Which part? I’m in the east bay.
You guys can buy with confidence. I won't chime in here otherwise, as I like feedback; however, I do want to address this matching carbon comment. Don't mind the dirt, I haven't had a chance to clean the car up after the track last weekend with this sale and holiday weekend keeping me busy, but here is a shot of our rocker vent vs. the OEM carbon fiber rocker skirt. This matches.

Here is a pic of the OEM rear quarter duct vs. the OEM rocker skirt... these do not match from the factory and the weave isn't even in line on the rear quarter vent from piece to piece. They're 3' apart... you don't notice it unless it's pointed out. So, it's impossible for me to match every piece identically since they're different on their own.

We stand behind all of our products, so if you don't like the carbon pieces when you get them, you can send them back; however, I say that because I don't think that will be the case.
The following users liked this post:
Palantirion (11-26-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 11:00 AM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

^^^ Hey Ben, posted up some pictures of the car after I took delivery of it & a guy I went to high school with liked the car (Blah Blah Blah) but said you built his Caddy and he recommended you with any mods. Small world but his name is Jeff Williams, he lives out on the west coast now.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-25-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Ben@WeaponX (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 01:49 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by MustOBeenYellow2015Z
^^^ Hey Ben, posted up some pictures of the car after I took delivery of it & a guy I went to high school with liked the car (Blah Blah Blah) but said you built his Caddy and he recommended you with any mods. Small world but his name is Jeff Williams, he lives out on the west coast now.
Ha no way! Jeff is a great dude, had a red V3 last we spoke, small world. He was selling those Dragon Boxes that I bought a couple of too. I just watched Venom on that last night

Sorry OP, back on topic
Old 11-25-2018, 02:33 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes sir, thats him. It is indeed a small world. His car looks & sounds straight nasty!

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
Ha no way! Jeff is a great dude, had a red V3 last we spoke, small world. He was selling those Dragon Boxes that I bought a couple of too. I just watched Venom on that last night

Sorry OP, back on topic
Old 11-26-2018, 05:57 AM
dee zed
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

re x-pipe I went with corsa x-pipe and added akrapovic exhaust to have access to Engine Sound Management

in time I will correct my error and get the akrapovic x-pipe to have a perfect fit at the connection .

Enhanced performance (throttle response) and sounds amazing .

If you dont care about sound management then I would go with corsa x-pipe and corsa extreme exhaust .
Old 11-26-2018, 08:03 AM
txoutdoors
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the intake, TB, and intake tube on mine now. Love it.

Planning on dyno with existing mods and again after the rest of the package goes on.

Toe rods, xpipe, headers, and the rest of the X900 package going on this week. Dropping it off Wednesday for install. Travelling to alaska for a duck hunt the day after. Picking it up the 6th. Can provide more feedback then. Cant wait!
Ben@WeaponX (11-26-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 05:13 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by dee zed
re x-pipe I went with corsa x-pipe and added akrapovic exhaust to have access to Engine Sound Management

in time I will correct my error and get the akrapovic x-pipe to have a perfect fit at the connection .

Enhanced performance (throttle response) and sounds amazing .

If you dont care about sound management then I would go with corsa x-pipe and corsa extreme exhaust .
How does the Akrapovic exhaust sound on the ZR1? I had it on my 2013 Z06 and my 2016 Z06 and loved it. I have a TPW of 1/21 and I plan on adding the Akrapovic asap..
Old 11-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by txoutdoors
I have the intake, TB, and intake tube on mine now. Love it.

Planning on dyno with existing mods and again after the rest of the package goes on.

Toe rods, xpipe, headers, and the rest of the X900 package going on this week. Dropping it off Wednesday for install. Travelling to alaska for a duck hunt the day after. Picking it up the 6th. Can provide more feedback then. Cant wait!
How does your car drive and perform now compare to when it was stock?
Your new mods sound awesome!
Look forward to seeing the before and after dyno sheet.
Thanks, Bob

Old 11-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
How does the Akrapovic exhaust sound on the ZR1? I had it on my 2013 Z06 and my 2016 Z06 and loved it. I have a TPW of 1/21 and I plan on adding the Akrapovic asap..
Incredible!

Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
That does sound amazing!
What is the set-up/mods on it in that video?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:16 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Bob U
That does sound amazing!
What is the set-up/mods on it in that video?
That's the X850 package with the Akra exhaust
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...=8678371688539
Old 11-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Ben can you just sell me the catch can and thermostat? I have all other stuff already on the car.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
Ben can you just sell me the catch can and thermostat? I have all other stuff already on the car.
sure thing just lmk!
Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 PM
dee zed
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
It sounds so amazing I never take it out of track mode . Sex is great , Cold starts is better !!

Get notified of new replies

To Need Weapon-X mod feedback/opinions

Quick Reply: Need Weapon-X mod feedback/opinions