C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Differences washing ZR1 and Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:14 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
ROTFLMAO. Too funny. At first I thought someone was having some fun messing with us but apparently some people actually do all this stuff just to wash a stinkin' car. I can't tell any difference in washing as I just pull up onto the conveyor belt at the automatic car wash until the attendant tells me to stop and points to the sign saying put in PARK. About 2 minutes later pull out the other end and all is good and clean. Hell, washing the Corvette is no different than washing my DD Tahoe. Drive in one end and out the other.
O-O-H N-O-O!!! Your car stinks, too??
Old 01-05-2019, 09:41 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
LOL, no, the drive through automatic car wash takes just a couple of minutes and costs only $8. Other posters proclaiming my car looks like **** are wrong, I think it looks great. I drive my car more than I look at it and I'm not a car show kind of guy. MUCH more fun driving it than sitting in a lawn chair looking at it...

Only thing I wish is they'd come up with a drive-through car wash that would vacuum/dust the SUBSTANTIAL amount of dirt that gets in every nook and cranny with off track excursions. Car fills up with what seems like 5 lbs of dirt/dust every time I go off track...

Here's a somewhat recent pic to show it's not trashed and that the auto car wash works GREAT!!!

How dare you photograph that car without a 5 hour "clay bar" job. What is this world coming to?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:53 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
How dare you photograph that car without a 5 hour "clay bar" job. What is this world coming to?
You put this vehicle side-by-side with a vehicle detailed by a pro or experienced detail enthusist and the differences will be night and day. The pro's car will have an order of magnitude difference is gloss level. In a well lit room you could tell the difference between the 2 from across the room right away. Also, on close inspection with good lighting you will clearly see the imperfections in the paint on this car. Swirls, marring, holograms, water spots, trees sap will be visible. The pro's car will also offer greater levels of paint protection as well as will be easier to clean after it was paint corrected, detailed, and coated. While the owner's vehicle looks OK from a distance, it could be a lot better if it were so desired.

Last edited by MMD; 01-05-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:19 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess this discussion can be divided into two camps; those that cling to 'good enough' and those that like to go the extra yard and make it as good as it can be. I don't think either camp is going to move from their position. Those lurking for the details of how to make things as good as they can possibly be will find the latter camp the one most informative. And that, my friends, is where this forum excels!
The following 3 users liked this post by SouthernSon:
intensifi (01-06-2019), MMD (01-05-2019), rikhek (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:29 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I guess this discussion can be divided into two camps; those that cling to 'good enough' and those that like to go the extra yard and make it as good as it can be. I don't think either camp is going to move from their position. Those lurking for the details of how to make things as good as they can possibly be will find the latter camp the one most informative. And that, my friends, is where this forum excels!
I agree but I think there is another camp you should also include. There is a camp who believe they don't give a $hit.
How do you explain this?

The following users liked this post:
intensifi (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:30 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^ I haven't a friggin' clue!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-05-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

There are sports car owners who pay little or no attention to the superficial aspect of their vehicle. There are others who care but are not willing to engage heroic measures to win the shinny car trophy at their local Chevy dealers annual car show. There are then those who do a hand wash and surface treatment with a good wax/detail product that yields a fabulous result with a modicum of effort. Then we have a small contingency that allows their OCD to invade rationality. These guys spend significantly more time and cash than what others would consider reasonable in an unobtainable goal of perfection. Seriously, 5 hour "clay bar" work overs, $325.00 for minute quantities of magical surface treatments, and the list goes on. None of this fanatical stuff appeals to the majority of Corvette owners. If your car is shinier than mine then good for you, I could care less.
iw172 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:41 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

There are sports car owners who pay little or no attention to the superficial aspect of their vehicle. There are others who care but are not willing to engage heroic measures to win the shinny car trophy at their local Chevy dealers annual car show. There are then those who do a hand wash and surface treatment with a good wax/detail product that yields a fabulous result with a modicum of effort. Then we have a small contingency that allows their OCD to invade rationality. These guys spend significantly more time and cash than what others would consider reasonable in an unobtainable goal of perfection. Seriously, 5 hour "clay bar" work overs, $325.00 for minute quantities of magical surface treatments, and the list goes on. None of this fanatical stuff appeals to the majority of Corvette owners. If your car is shinier than mine then good for you, I could care less.
Actually, I really think you COULDN'T care less. just sayin'

Old 01-05-2019, 11:46 AM
MMD
Safety Car

You are the same person that will spend 5 hours on a golf course, shoot 100, and pay $150 and have nothing to show for this effort. And seriously, to say "None of this fanatical stuff appeals to the majority of Corvette owners". As you unaware, there is a huge industry out there selling these car care products, and many people who detail professionally for a living. The interest is there. It a multi-million dollar industry with numerous companies that manufacture these detail products. Companies such as Autogeek, Chemical Guys, Detail King, Palm Beach Motor Group, Griot's Garage, Adam's polishes, 3M, Xpel, LLuminar, SunTek, Meguiar's, Esoteric, PoorBoys, are just a few suppliers of the numerous car care products that are available. Then there are literally hundreds of manufacturers that provide the products to meet the huge demand for the car care industry. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean others aren't in tune with this industry. There are far more Corvette owners out there concerned with the appearance and protection of their vehicles than are just interested in running down to Pep Boys and buying a $10 bottle of Turtle Wax like you are. You are really out to lunch. Spending too much time on the golf course in the hot sun.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:54 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Well said and it would be nice if that was the end of this thread. Now I'm going out and put a coat of Shine Supply's Clutch over my ceramic coating and ppf.

Last edited by BearZ06; 01-05-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:40 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

The car is a hobby and you should use it in a manner that brings you enjoyment. Some like to race, some like to modify, some like to cruise, and some like to detail and polish. There is absolutely wrong with any of these activities and I wish I had enough time to do them all.
The following 2 users liked this post by rbartick:
intensifi (01-06-2019), rikhek (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:48 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rbartick
The car is a hobby and you should use it in a manner that brings you enjoyment. Some like to race, some like to modify, some like to cruise, and some like to detail and polish. There is absolutely wrong with any of these activities and I wish I had enough time to do them all.
Don't forget to mention whatever it is this guy is doing.

intensifi (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

^^^ That's what happens if you adjust your wing wrong.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-06-2019 at 12:25 AM.
intensifi (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:28 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

You're a little O.C.D. getting your point across. You could have had one fender done by now.
intensifi (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 03:55 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by MMD

You are the same person that will spend 5 hours on a golf course, shoot 100, and pay $150 and have nothing to show for this effort. And seriously, to say "None of this fanatical stuff appeals to the majority of Corvette owners". As you unaware, there is a huge industry out there selling these car care products, and many people who detail professionally for a living. The interest is there. It a multi-million dollar industry with numerous companies that manufacture these detail products. Companies such as Autogeek, Chemical Guys, Detail King, Palm Beach Motor Group, Griot's Garage, Adam's polishes, 3M, Xpel, LLuminar, SunTek, Meguiar's, Esoteric, PoorBoys, are just a few suppliers of the numerous car care products that are available. Then there are literally hundreds of manufacturers that provide the products to meet the huge demand for the car care industry. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean others aren't in tune with this industry. There are far more Corvette owners out there concerned with the appearance and protection of their vehicles than are just interested in running down to Pep Boys and buying a $10 bottle of Turtle Wax like you are. You are really out to lunch. Spending too much time on the golf course in the hot sun.
Sorry to disappoint you but I don't play golf. Now go get your clay bar!
rikhek (01-08-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 04:11 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't play golf. Now go get your clay bar!
I've driven through Bonita & Ft Myers many times. That's all they do there. There's a golf course on every corner. If you're not playing, then you're working there, or your a golf spectator. I'll stick with the clay bar and shiny a$$ car.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

I've driven through Bonita & Ft Myers many times. That's all they do there. There's a golf course on every corner. If you're not playing, then you're working there, or your a golf spectator. I'll stick with the clay bar and shiny a$$ car.
Be nice to the troll Doc or he will tell you he knows how to find your house.

Get notified of new replies

To Differences washing ZR1 and Z06

Old 01-05-2019, 07:52 PM
MMD
Safety Car

my paint
Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
Be nice to the troll Doc or he will tell you he knows how to find your house.
I'm probably near his house more often in a year than he is travels by mine in VA. If he wants my address he can PM me. We can have a car show when he arrives. My neighbors can be judges and vote for either his scratched up Vette with the $10 Simonize wax on it, or my Vette with a ceramic coating, paint corrected paint, and my favorite thing to do - I decontaminate my paint. Troll man loves it when I tell him I decontaminate and clay my car. Next time you chat with him, tell him you decontaminated your car. That will really light his tampon on fire. Ask him while you're at it, what's his golf handicap? Probably over 100!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:24 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by MMD
my paint
I'm probably near his house more often in a year than he is travels by mine in VA. If he wants my address he can PM me. We can have a car show when he arrives. My neighbors can be judges and vote for either his scratched up Vette with the $10 Simonize wax on it, or my Vette with a ceramic coating, paint corrected paint, and my favorite thing to do - I decontaminate my paint. Troll man loves it when I tell him I decontaminate and clay my car. Next time you chat with him, tell him you decontaminated your car. That will really light his tampon on fire. Ask him while you're at it, what's his golf handicap? Probably over 100!
Let me get this straight. According to you a person who lives in Bonita Springs that does not golf is some kind of a worker, OK. Once again, sorry to disappoint but I am retired here, was very fortunate to have the ability to take an early retirement and thoroughly enjoy it here without playing golf, ever. My handicap would probably be 200! Someday when I run out of things to enjoy here I will consider "decontaminating" my paint. LOL. Do you sleep with your clay bar and nanoglove?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:37 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Let me get this straight. According to you a person who lives in Bonita Springs that does not golf is some kind of a worker, OK. Once again, sorry to disappoint but I am retired here, was very fortunate to have the ability to take an early retirement and thoroughly enjoy it here without playing golf, ever. My handicap would probably be 200! Someday when I run out of things to enjoy here I will consider "decontaminating" my paint. LOL. Do you sleep with your clay bar and nanoglove?
Yes, I keep my clay bar in my undershorts. It helps make the clay warm and pliable. Makes it easier to knead. I'll send you a bar if you want. I'll warm it up too.

Quick Reply: Differences washing ZR1 and Z06