C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Performance air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by intensifi
Ben looks like a different part number than the original kit. Can you confirm that?
Yes it is a new PN, but I don't know what changes they have because apparently they're not even available still.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:53 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Just got mine. Getting installed Friday. Part no. 84152141

Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I installed mine about 500 miles ago and would rather have spent the money on a set of all season AS3+ tires to enjoy my car more year round. I'd be willing to let it go for 475 shipped to anyone interested.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:56 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
I installed mine about 500 miles ago and would rather have spent the money on a set of all season AS3+ tires to enjoy my car more year round. I'd be willing to let it go for 475 shipped to anyone interested.
At least it looks nice under the hood.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:21 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

If you use the weapon X intake tube with the GM performance box will that void the factory warranty? Has anyone tried it yet? If so what are your thoughts, and does it really make a difference to pay the xtra $279.00 for the Weapon X Tube Thanks for anyone's feed back
Old 01-31-2019, 05:53 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

My dealer installed the WeaponX tube in conjunction with the Factory "box" when the car arrived. I have it in writing that the GM warrantee covers the car "as delivered" and is unaffected by the replacement of the intake tube. FYI - They would NOT install the X-pipe as it eliminates the secondary cats and were concerned that would void the factory warrantee. Go figure....
The following users liked this post:
2019 ZR1 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 06:28 AM
snakepit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Notice any difference in power.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:08 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by snakepit
Notice any difference in power.
I have nothing to compare it to as the intake was part of the car when I took delivery but it makes enough of a difference to show up on the dyno pulls posted at WeaponX.

Since delivery and break-in I've installed their ported throttle-body, X-pipe, catch-can and 160 thermostat components (more air in, more power out) and they made a huge difference. Hammer-down mid-range acceleration improvements that you can feel in the seat of your pants.

Cheers -
D'ZR1 Messiah (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 07:13 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
I have nothing to compare it to as the intake was part of the car when I took delivery but it makes enough of a difference to show up on the dyno pulls posted at WeaponX.

Since delivery and break-in I've installed their ported throttle-body, X-pipe, catch-can and 160 thermostat components (more air in, more power out) and they made a huge difference. Hammer-down mid-range acceleration improvements that you can feel in the seat of your pants.

Cheers -
Some nice mods👍🏻 Why did you choose the GM INTAKE when the Halltech has been proven to make more power?
Old 01-31-2019, 08:03 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Good question... Because I'm a cheap, basically lazy Irishman and because GM paid the dealer to install it before delivery and included it in the 36 mo. + extended warranty. Also, the Jake logo on the clear cover is kinda cool.

I had a Halltech system on my '14 Z51 and it was a high-quality piece of equipment.

But since the differences between the two as far as power output is concerned is barely a factor especially if you change out GM's dryer hose intake with the WeaponX smooth pipe, I chose the path of least resistance.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:27 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
My dealer installed the WeaponX tube in conjunction with the Factory "box" when the car arrived. I have it in writing that the GM warrantee covers the car "as delivered" and is unaffected by the replacement of the intake tube. FYI - They would NOT install the X-pipe as it eliminates the secondary cats and were concerned that would void the factory warrantee. Go figure....
LOL, the Stealership installed my Xpipe so I guess if it voids the Warranty they did not mention it
Originally Posted by saleen556
Some nice mods👍🏻 Why did you choose the GM INTAKE when the Halltech has been proven to make more power?
But JAKE is on the GM one What are the "proven" numbers Halltech vs GM?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:43 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

DebRedZR1: What are the "proven" numbers Halltech vs GM?
Don't know Deb. I don't recall seeing them. GM didn't have an intake when I did the Halltech.
DebRedZR1 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 11:08 AM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

[QUOTE=Repo Pilot;1598791638]I have nothing to compare it to as the intake was part of the car when I took delivery but it makes enough of a difference to show up on the dyno pulls posted at WeaponX.

Cheers - [/Do you thing a new throttle body ,GM air box and the Weapon X intake tube would void the warranty? Any feed back would Appreciated
Old 01-31-2019, 12:29 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=mdolandese;[/Do you thing a new throttle body ,GM air box and the Weapon X intake tube would void the warranty? Any feed back would Appreciated[/QUOTE]

Good Question. There are many stories on the forum about what is acceptable in one region (or dealer) is not acceptable in another. My guess is that it depends on how your dealer and GM feels about it at the time a problem is discovered. This judgement seems to change with the season.

The ported throttle body has a GM part number on it and it plugs right into the ECM no problem and might not even get noticed. The installation of the Cosca X-pipe does remove the secondary cats but they are not monitored so no code is thrown so the car will not rat you out. I would think an intake tube is an intake tube. But just in case I ever have an issue down the road I have a new section in my garage for removed parts. My plan A is in case of a major issue or failure I put the components the car was delivered with back on and then call AAA for a tow to the dealer. Plan B would involve seeking experienced legal device.

The whole deal is sooo **** but for some reason dealer paranoia is high. I mean the ZR was built to be tracked - right? My question to one dealer I talked to was: "If I needed a new muffler and had a non-GM supplied one installed by "Exhausts are us" would it void the warranty. My answer was silence followed with statements like "thats not the same thing" etc.

I just fly 'em and drive 'em. There are plenty of knowledgeable corvette-owner attorneys on the forum. maybe one of them will contribute their opinion.

Cheers - Kev
DebRedZR1 (01-31-2019)

Quick Reply: Performance air intake