C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

WeaponX ZR1 vented hood cowl

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 05:59 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Default WeaponX ZR1 vented hood cowl

Has any one ordered the weaponsX ZR1 Vented Hood Cowl & was wondering if the vent worked
Old 08-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

I have. Hopefully will have one installed next month in his shop.

As I understand it Ben wanted to do some dimensions tweaking and is waiting for version 2 to arrive. If I'm lucky it will end up on my BAW-ZR along with some other WeaponX go fast goodies.

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 08-23-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:59 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
I have. Hopefully will have one installed next month in his shop.

As I understand it Ben wanted to do some dimensions tweaking and is waiting for version 2 to arrive. If I'm lucky it will end up on my BAW-ZR along with some other WeaponX go fast goodies.

What else are you having done?
Old 08-24-2019, 02:55 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

I didn't know the vented cowl was ready for sale. I'm definitely interested.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ss2z06
What else are you having done?
Just more and denser air in the "incoming side" and then making sure we can add enough fuel to it so the ECM stays happy.

The project objective is to get everything we can get out of the motor without the HP crack.

There is some new stuff that is doable since the WeaponX 900 and 950 packages were introduced. This is all "work in progress" right now, but when the plan is finalized I'm sure Ben will have no problems with sharing the details.

Originally Posted by Palantirion
I didn't know the vented cowl was ready for sale. I'm definitely interested.
Its not quite ready for prime time yet but I do hope to have one of the first production sale units and for it to be installed the WeaponX shop, which makes a lot of sense.

I only know that Ben said he was making some minor changes to the first actual unit to come off the "production line". Ben didn't tell me (and I did not ask) what the exact changes are going to be. He only told me the changes aren't big - just some small stuff. I think that means fine tuning some fit and finish items which won't take long to accomplish.

Am I sitting on the edge of my chair? Yup and I'm looking forward the my first long road trip in the ZR. Also need to get my Valentine mounted

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 08-24-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:24 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Vented Hood Cowl

Just more and denser air in the "incoming side" and then making sure we can add enough fuel to it so the ECM stays happy.

The project objective is to get everything we can get out of the motor without the HP crack.

There is some new stuff that is doable since the WeaponX 900 and 950 packages were introduced. This is all "work in progress" right now, but when the plan is finalized I'm sure Ben will have no problems with sharing the details.

Its not quite ready for prime time yet but I do hope to have production sale unit #1 and for it to be installed the WeaponX shop, which makes a lot of sense.

I only know that Ben said he was making some minor changes to the first actual unit to come off the "production line". Ben didn't tell me (and I did not ask) what the exact changes are going to be. He only told me the changes aren't big - just some small stuff. I assumed that means fine tuning some fit and finish items which won't take long to accomplish.

Am I sitting on the edge of my chair? Yup and I'm looking forward the my first long road trip in the ZR. Also need to get my Valentine mounted
I paid & placed my order for the Vented Hood Cowl on 7/11/19 & was told it would be 5 weeks, more then 5 weeks has passed so I emailed WX yestoday Friday 23 & was told it would be mid Sept. So who knows when or if it ever gets made?.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:22 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sammy burks
I paid & placed my order for the Vented Hood Cowl on 7/11/19 & was told it would be 5 weeks, more then 5 weeks has passed so I emailed WX yestoday Friday 23 & was told it would be mid Sept. So who knows when or if it ever gets made?.
Hey Sammy - I also want the vent and I was also told what they told you - that they'd be sent out in August.

But this month when I was scheduling some other stuff with WeaponX I was told that the "production piece" they received was not perfect... so Ben rejected the shipment and ordered some changes be made before he releases it.

I'd thank him for not sending out something that he didn't think was perfect rather than doing what some others have done and just sending them out anyway. So that makes two of us waiting...

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 08-24-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:30 AM
IZR1
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Sammy - I also want the vent and I was also told what they told you - that they'd be sent out in August.

But this month when I was scheduling some other stuff with WeaponX I was told that the "production piece" they received was not perfect... so Ben rejected the shipment and ordered some changes be made before he releases it.

I'd thank him for not sending out something that he didn't think was perfect rather than doing what some others have done and just sending them out anyway. So that makes two of us waiting...
I have ordered as well and was informed by Ben the same.
Looking forward to it and some other CF parts I purchased from him.

Yes the wait is terrible but I have seen his carbon pieces in person and they are almost spot on of the factory pieces.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,511 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Really good CF parts def take time if they are done correctly. It's just the nature of the beast. This is one thing that " you get what you pay for". I like high end guitars as well, and they are the same way.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:36 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IZR1
I have ordered as well and was informed by Ben the same.
Looking forward to it and some other CF parts I purchased from him.

Yes the wait is terrible but I have seen his carbon pieces in person and they are almost spot on of the factory pieces.
Have you received your WeaponX ZR1 Vented Hood Cowl yet I received the WeaponX ZR1 Vented Hood Cowl last week but was the wrong color much lighter than OEM

I got the WeaponX ZR1 Vented Hood Cowl last week color was all wrong not even close pictures.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-27-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 10-27-2019, 04:30 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Looks like the same issue I brought to their attention when they released their side scoops. I'm sure the construction and CF are fine...but the GM EXTERIOR parts use a brown tinted clearcoat. My conclusion is that this is to reduce damage to the resin from HEV light, which makes a hell of a lot of sense. In order to match the OEM material WX simply needs to experiment a little with tinting their clear so that is matches the OEM. The up side is that their parts will also be protected and should last as long as OEM too.

p.s. I didn't know this cowl was available yet, but I had put myself on the list to be notified. Very excited for the idea. I would appreciate some detail pics from owners as to fit-and-finish and how well integrated its shape is to the car.

Last edited by Palantirion; 10-27-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:11 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by Palantirion
Looks like the same issue I brought to their attention when they released their side scoops. I'm sure the construction and CF are fine...but the GM EXTERIOR parts use a brown tinted clearcoat. My conclusion is that this is to reduce damage to the resin from HEV light, which makes a hell of a lot of sense. In order to match the OEM material WX simply needs to experiment a little with tinting their clear so that is matches the OEM. The up side is that their parts will also be protected and should last as long as OEM too.

p.s. I didn't know this cowl was available yet, but I had put myself on the list to be notified. Very excited for the idea. I would appreciate some detail pics from owners as to fit-and-finish and how well integrated its shape is to the car.
As fer as I can see the fit-and-finish is OK color just do not match, But if you are fine with the color not matching hell I will sell you this one & you will not have to wait no longer.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:38 AM
IZR1
Heel & Toe

I ordered in July as well and have not received any of my CF parts yet . I had contacted them a couple weeks ago and told me some of my smaller parts were in but not the hood cowl. I could not accept if it does not match the GM tint.

Last edited by IZR1; 10-28-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:14 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IZR1
I ordered in July as well and have not received any of my CF parts yet . I had contacted them a couple weeks ago and told me some of my smaller parts were in but not the hood cowl. I could not accept if it does not match the GM tint.
I don't have direct knowledge of this, but it is my understanding that the July shipment they received did not pass their QA for whatever reason (size? finish? maybe both? - I don't know).

As I have one on order too I learned from a little birdie that a new shipment was received in the last week or so and they were being checked for size and finish correctness. I have not heard of any problems, but I'm also not calling them every other day for updates and I don't know how many they received.

Its certainly been a frustration but I'd rather wait than get something that wasn't perfect. Every Carbon piece I've ordered from WeaponX so far as been perfect. I cant say that for some other stuff I've received from other vendors which I've ended up shipping back.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:23 AM
IZR1
Heel & Toe

The waiting is the worst , but how long do you wait for the perfect piece ? I don't mind it just wish we were updated on the parts without having to contact them first. It's nice you have a little birdie.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:49 AM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Will I guess I was wrong about the fit part as stated in previous post not only the color is wrong the fit is not very good sets up to high, does not line up at the rear carbon of the hood. WeaponX needs to step up
Old 10-28-2019, 12:19 PM
rh96ss
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Just received my front bumper brows and rear brake duct inlets. I ordered on Aug 1. Look good, haven't installed so can't speak on fitment. Color is not a match to OEM carbon fiber. I was interested in the vented cowl but seeing this, overdue shipping times and color not matching decreases that interest. Please keep us informed.

Get notified of new replies

To WeaponX ZR1 vented hood cowl

Old 10-28-2019, 02:32 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

We have made the front piece as well so it will match, but still working on a solution for the rear of the hood since it's part of the hood. As for the height, it is not supposed to line up with the rear of the hood as it is raised for a reason, the vents would not fit if it was stock height. As for the carbon color, there are 2-3 different colors of carbon on the car itself with the hood being a brownish color and quite frankly I'm not a fan of that.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:07 PM
ilkSurfer
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 92 Posts

How about the rain water that gets in? How does that get drained out?
The following 2 users liked this post by ilkSurfer:
.gearhead. (10-28-2019), IZR1 (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 05:54 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
We have made the front piece as well so it will match, but still working on a solution for the rear of the hood since it's part of the hood. As for the height, it is not supposed to line up with the rear of the hood as it is raised for a reason, the vents would not fit if it was stock height. As for the carbon color, there are 2-3 different colors of carbon on the car itself with the hood being a brownish color and quite frankly I'm not a fan of that.

So I have the front piece coming that will match?

Quick Reply: WeaponX ZR1 vented hood cowl