C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

P2088 and P0011 codes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 07:51 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Default P2088 and P0011 codes?

Out for a drive in my ZR1 and it tripped a code P2088. I reset it and then it tripped both P2088 and P0011.
Has anyone else seen these codes yet?

Code Info;
P2088 "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low Bank 1
P0011 "A" Camshaft Position -Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 1

Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-01-2021, 07:58 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob U
Out for a drive in my ZR1 and it tripped a code P2088. I reset it and then it tripped both P2088 and P0011.

Code Info;

Thanks,
Bob
Looks like your best action is to take it to the dealer. As the codes say something is up with the cam position sensor.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (01-04-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:18 PM
Bob U
Drifting

I agree, I just hate having to take it to the dealer. I'm hoping someone has some insight.
Thanks

Old 01-01-2021, 11:15 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Hey Bob -

Have you thought about Redline up in Pompano? If the you've done work on your ZR that the dealer may contend compromises your warranty you might talk to Howard at Redline Motorsports up in Pompano. He has been able to give me insight and straight answers about several things that my ZR has done that the dealer/factory either couldn't or wouldn't talk about. His batting average has been 100 %.

Kev

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 01-01-2021 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:10 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,156 Likes on 605 Posts

Code Info;

Thanks,
Bob
First question:what oil are you using? Proper operation of VVT is very dependent on engine oil. If you're not using a 0W40, change the oil back to a 0W40 then clear codes and continue to road test. This is unlikely, but, if the oil is high-mileage, ie: you've gone way past zero oil life–change the oil and filter using a 0W40, clear codes and road test.

If you are running a 0W40 which is not high-mileage, then clear codes and road test for a while. If those two DTCs reset, then, if the car is still under warranty, I'd take it to a dealer. You need a dealer for two reasons: 1) A GDS or equivalent scan tester is required to solve both those codes and 2) under warranty, the repair, which could be costly, will be free.

If the car has been "tuned", ie: the ECM was removed, unlocked by HPTuners, re-calibrated and reinstalled; the warranty will be void and you can either fix it yourself, if you own a GDS and have a subscription to GMSi, or take the car to an independent repair facility which has the proper service information and scan test equipment necessary to solve those two codes.
frodoz737 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 02:04 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
First question:what oil are you using? Proper operation of VVT is very dependent on engine oil. If you're not using a 0W40, change the oil back to a 0W40 then clear codes and continue to road test. This is unlikely, but, if the oil is high-mileage, ie: you've gone way past zero oil life–change the oil and filter using a 0W40, clear codes and road test.

If you are running a 0W40 which is not high-mileage, then clear codes and road test for a while. If those two DTCs reset, then, if the car is still under warranty, I'd take it to a dealer. You need a dealer for two reasons: 1) A GDS or equivalent scan tester is required to solve both those codes and 2) under warranty, the repair, which could be costly, will be free.

If the car has been "tuned", ie: the ECM was removed, unlocked by HPTuners, re-calibrated and reinstalled; the warranty will be void and you can either fix it yourself, if you own a GDS and have a subscription to GMSi, or take the car to an independent repair facility which has the proper service information and scan test equipment necessary to solve those two codes.
The oil is the factory recommended Mobli 1 ESP 0W-40, it has about 2,000 miles on it. I have cleared the codes and the car drives fine for the first 15 minutes or so, then while rolling into the throttle it gets a slight surge and then set P2088 again.
Thanks for the advice,
Bob
Old 01-02-2021, 02:07 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
Hey Bob -

Have you thought about Redline up in Pompano? If the you've done work on your ZR that the dealer may contend compromises your warranty you might talk to Howard at Redline Motorsports up in Pompano. He has been able to give me insight and straight answers about several things that my ZR has done that the dealer/factory either couldn't or wouldn't talk about. His batting average has been 100 %.

Kev
Kev,
Agree and Reline is an option for sure.
Thanks, Bob
Old 01-02-2021, 03:25 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Hey Bob - I would advise against clearing any codes unless your reader can print them out on a report that also includes your car's vin number.

I learned that when I had my anti-skid activation under normal breaking on dry pavement adventure. Even though OnStar messages were sent and received. The OnStar takeaway is that it does not make a record of the fault codes when they receive the message from the vehicle. One more reason I think that part of OnStar is a scam. The only reason I keep it is that is saves me more on my insurance than it costs to have the remote disable and locate features.

So before you clear the fault make sure you at least print the entire fault report page that includes you vehicle information. Hib is spot on (as usual) about using a GDS reader. Since my brake brouhaha I have never cleared a code...including my most recent limp-mode event.

When I subsequently bought it to the dealer the service manager told me that when they download the faults a expanded report which includes data that the dealer cannot see also gets sent to GM. Since the dealer received a work authorization within 30 minutes of reading and sending it I believe that is an accurate statement.

Kev
Old 01-02-2021, 03:54 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,156 Likes on 605 Posts

Bob's DTCs are resetting so, obviously, in this case, he clears codes one time to see if they reset. If they reset, then you do not clear codes, so you can go into the dealer with the MIL on.

And yeah...On-Star is a freakin' scam. We have five vehicles with On-Start and after the 3-mo. free ran out, we've never renewed.

That said, to me the only advantage of On-Star is if you wreck, the SIRs blow, you are incapacitated and can't call 911.

I decided to live dangerously.
Repo Pilot (01-02-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:39 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

Did you do the "crank relearn" after you installed your unlocked ecm?
Old 08-05-2021, 08:56 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Code Info;

Thanks,
Bob
What ended up being the fix for the P2088? I traded my Hellcat in for a basically brand new ZL1 and just got that P2088 code. Comes right back on as soon as I get out of the driveway and touch the throttle after resetting it.

Last edited by CamOnlyJabroni; 08-05-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2023, 04:18 PM
BlownDeadline
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
What ended up being the fix for the P2088? I traded my Hellcat in for a basically brand new ZL1 and just got that P2088 code. Comes right back on as soon as I get out of the driveway and touch the throttle after resetting it.
Is replacement of the VVT actuator a big job?

Get notified of new replies

To P2088 and P0011 codes?

Quick Reply: P2088 and P0011 codes?