Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Elecrtric Vettes, ! I don't think so

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 03:50 AM
Noblebro175
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Refueling meaning what happens when the energy is depleted. When my tank is empty, I can easily find a gas station, fill up and be done in 10 minutes. If EV allows me to do that and have it as easy to find as gas stations, I will definitely get one. OTOH, if I have to plan my trips so that I am at the right place at the right time, I'm out. Beyond that, I would be fine with electric. I don't need or even want the engine noise. The wicked acceleration will sell me.

Have things changed since the C7 came out considering AFM? If not, there might be an issue still lingering.
so, one big reason I steer away from Tesla. I average 100-250 miles . In saying that, most don't hit 300 miles a week. Hoke chargers can chatge up batteries in 6-8hrs. Tesla created a massive charging station and if Bidens plan of 10k more , we'll it'll be simply enough. ONE (our next energy) based off Detroit, produced a new battery that took the Model S from 330 miles to 750 miles in one charge. Technology is advancing at light speed. 30 yrs ago, who ran forced induction . Skip shifts. Active fuel management. Things have been shifting that way. Eletric cars came out YEARS ago but the market didn't want it. Now they do and the EV platform is ready. Many stations are sat in a public place, where one could chatge while getting groceries, eating a meal, etc. Apps tell you when you're ready preventing over charges etc. Tesla owners merely pull up and plug in . Done. Yes, it takes several hours to chatge from 0-100....but that's not proper battery maintenance. My friend chatges at home on a 60A dedicated circuit. Never uses public charging. Never stops to refuel. He doesn't drive across country...he buys a flight ticket lol. No, they won't fit everyone's plans. They do serve many very well though.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:04 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Specifically what are the names of these "leftist corporations"? GM? Ford? VW????? And the real question for Michael A. - Why do you continue to frequent the C8 ERay/HybridEV Discussion? You are rabidly anti EV and that's your choice. But this section is really for the people who are interested in the hybrid ERay and future EV Corvette. Not because anyone is forcing it on us, but because we want it for many reasons. I put my deposit down a year ago for the ERay - no expectation of any government subsidy. I bought a Tesla X 2 years ago - no one forced me. Once EV's reach price parity with their ICE counterpart, demand will be through the roof - yes they are that much better. The governor of California said you won't be able to buy a new ICE vehicle after 2035, I will predict it will be de facto sooner - by choice.
Hold up. First, phev's and ev's are being heavily subsidized. A $7,500 tax credit for buying one for example. Second, ICE engines, especially the performance variants are being penalized. Dodge is doing away with the iconic Hellcat engine after next year. It is certainly not due to lack of demand, it is because after 2023 the fines and fees for building them will be so excessive that it will drive the cost above the market demographic for the car. Our President has stated an agenda of eliminating gas engines by 2035, the California is wanting to ban them entirely. So, yes, they are being forced upon us.

Now, this section is a public discussion forum about the hybrid/ev Corvette. Primarily it's for Corvette enthusiasts and not JUST for people who WANT the electric Corvette. It's for all of us to express our opinions, both pro and con. Let's not cancel out opposing positions, it is from listening to each other that real and lasting solutions to problems are found. I know for me, if my feathers are ruffled by opposing opinions, I probably need to check my feathers.

Personally, I have nothing against EV's. They have a place, and they make sense and work for many people. They do offer a different performance experience that many like and that's great. Of course, the more people that use them, the more demand of fossil fuels is reduced, and perhaps environmental improvements will result. However, they don't work for everyone, and that 'instant torque' experience isn't necessarily the driving experience everyone wants.

It's unfortunate that we seem to have devolved into an all or nothing society. Seems everyone is for or against and leaves no room for reasonable discourse about anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by lt4obsesses:
Meanmyz (05-07-2022), Michael A (05-05-2022), ratvet (07-31-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 09:38 AM
jasinedward
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
By you logic, then based on the demand of the mid-engine Corvette, all cars should be mid-engine.
By your logic no one would be ordering, purchasing, or driving electric cars.... I love my ICE cars and will always own a few. I currently don't have an EV because there aren't enough chargers in my area. As for all cars being mid-engine..... why? I appreciate choices that I have in front of me and don't let my feelings or opinions of the government get in the way. I do agree that the government is pushing towards electric vehicles, but to say the demand is not there is just not true. I love my C8 for the handling and all around driving experience. I love my Mustang for the aftermarket and price to mod. I love the Model S Plaid for the insane power. I love Ferrari's... any Ferrari. I think that an Eray would be an affordable SF90. I want one and it is not because of anything other than my love of Corvettes and Ferraris. The Z06 is awesome, but I'm not sure if I can justify that expensive of a weekend toy right now.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:42 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,389 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Noblebro175
s....... Technology is advancing at light speed. 30 yrs ago, who ran forced induction . Skip shifts. Active fuel management. ........
GM, that's who. Their first production forced induction car was in 1962 in an Oldsmobile. Mercedes did superchargers on production road cars in 1923 so almost 100 years ago. Skip shift was on a Corvette in 1989, so over 33 years. AFM, the Cadillac V-8-6-4 came out in 1981. Cylinder deactivation on production cars came out in 1905.

Some of the first production cars were EVs. In modern times it was the EV1 by GM, in 1996.

None of this is new. They just have been made better.
The following users liked this post:
Michael A (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:14 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

California, through "CARB" (California Air Resources Board) has made so many mandates over the years that they later had to rescind it's literally comical. The market (that's us) will determine when (and if) ICE vehicles are eliminated. This Biden paranoia is silly, I'll promise you this guy is a lot more worried about unions, votes, etc than he is about forcing EV's down everyone's throats.
EV's are the "shiny new penny", they won't always be. One day, in the not too distant future, the "ugly" side of battery production will gain traction, and the discourse will take on a different slant.
Meanmyz (05-07-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:55 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 998 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Hold up. First, phev's and ev's are being heavily subsidized. A $7,500 tax credit for buying one for example. Second, ICE engines, especially the performance variants are being penalized. Dodge is doing away with the iconic Hellcat engine after next year. It is certainly not due to lack of demand, it is because after 2023 the fines and fees for building them will be so excessive that it will drive the cost above the market demographic for the car. Our President has stated an agenda of eliminating gas engines by 2035, the California is wanting to ban them entirely. So, yes, they are being forced upon us.

Now, this section is a public discussion forum about the hybrid/ev Corvette. Primarily it's for Corvette enthusiasts and not JUST for people who WANT the electric Corvette. It's for all of us to express our opinions, both pro and con. Let's not cancel out opposing positions, it is from listening to each other that real and lasting solutions to problems are found. I know for me, if my feathers are ruffled by opposing opinions, I probably need to check my feathers.
Personally, I have nothing against EV's. They have a place, and they make sense and work for many people. They do offer a different performance experience that many like and that's great. Of course, the more people that use them, the more demand of fossil fuels is reduced, and perhaps environmental improvements will result. However, they don't work for everyone, and that 'instant torque' experience isn't necessarily the driving experience everyone wants.

It's unfortunate that we seem to have devolved into an all or nothing society. Seems everyone is for or against and leaves no room for reasonable discourse about anything.
Neither GM or Tesla EV's - of any kind - are receiving any federal tax credit - haven't for some years. Tesla's growth remains unabated. The market is moving rapidly towards EV's today for a single reason - Tesla. Stock prices and market valuation. That is what all the auto companies are competing for and right now Tesla is winning.
I have no problem engaging in a civil discourse and debates. And my feathers are fine. However, too often and by a select few, the conversation digress to ad hominem attacks devoid of facts and misinformation. The sole issue for too many has become their "choice" or anti - "mandates" - of any form. It has consumed their ability to engage in a rational debate about the pros and cons. It would be great to engage in reasonable discourse without concern for personal attacks based on beliefs or geography. Unfortunately the last 6 years have shown we are heading in the opposite direction.
The following 2 users liked this post by msm859:
CDNZR (05-05-2022), Noblebro175 (05-16-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:43 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,987 Likes on 1,400 Posts

Originally Posted by jasinedward
By your logic no one would be ordering, purchasing, or driving electric cars.... I love my ICE cars and will always own a few. I currently don't have an EV because there aren't enough chargers in my area. As for all cars being mid-engine..... why? I appreciate choices that I have in front of me and don't let my feelings or opinions of the government get in the way. I do agree that the government is pushing towards electric vehicles, but to say the demand is not there is just not true. I love my C8 for the handling and all around driving experience. I love my Mustang for the aftermarket and price to mod. I love the Model S Plaid for the insane power. I love Ferrari's... any Ferrari. I think that an Eray would be an affordable SF90. I want one and it is not because of anything other than my love of Corvettes and Ferraris. The Z06 is awesome, but I'm not sure if I can justify that expensive of a weekend toy right now.
You picked several very expensive luxury models to make your case. What about the Nissan Leaf? How about the Chevy Bolt? No lists there that I am aware of. And why are there huge subsidies for EV purchasers if the demand is so high? If there are long waiting lists for EVs, those should be axed immediately. I'm talking about the public at large who look at cars as transportation, not people who want to virtue signal and/or want to buy status symbols with a "look at me everyone" attitude.

There are a whole bunch of EVs coming. We'll all know in a few years.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:47 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by msm859
Neither GM or Tesla EV's - of any kind - are receiving any federal tax credit - haven't for some years. Tesla's growth remains unabated.
Then they need to get out of the carpool lanes, and axe the EV charging rates and the CO2 credits.

They also need to axe the programs where the government is subsiding charging station contruction. If there is such a high market demand, then this is not necessary. The free market will meet the demand. I'll give Tesla credit on this. At least they built their own. Too bad they did it using C02 credits from other companies.
1985 Vette (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 01:39 PM
jasinedward
Instructor

You picked several very expensive luxury models to make your case. What about the Nissan Leaf? How about the Chevy Bolt? No lists there that I am aware of. And why are there huge subsidies for EV purchasers if the demand is so high? If there are long waiting lists for EVs, those should be axed immediately. I'm talking about the public at large who look at cars as transportation, not people who want to virtue signal and/or want to buy status symbols with a "look at me everyone" attitude.

There are a whole bunch of EVs coming. We'll all know in a few years.
I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at. I think you quoted my second post but were referring to my 1st post. The Ford Lightning starts at 39k. It can also power your home for up to 10 days in the event of an outage. There's also a waiting list for the Genesis GV60.... and other Hyundai and Kia ev's I can't remember the name of at the moment. The government push is to facilitate the charging stations. ICE vehicles aren't going to go away that quickly. I won't give up mine and no one asked me to.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:43 PM
jasinedward
Instructor

Then they need to get out of the carpool lanes, and axe the EV charging rates and the CO2 credits.

They also need to axe the programs where the government is subsiding charging station contruction. If there is such a high market demand, then this is not necessary. The free market will meet the demand. I'll give Tesla credit on this. At least they built their own. Too bad they did it using C02 credits from other companies.
Also don't forget they didn't even invite Elon Musk to the EV summit they had recently. How do you not invite the modern day innovator of EV's to the EV summit? That's some shady **** right there. All union BS.

Don't forget our reliance on foreign oil either.... I think the government has stepped in a few times to help straighten things out in the past with that....
The following 2 users liked this post by jasinedward:
Michael A (05-05-2022), Noblebro175 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 01:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,978 Posts

I think the government has stepped in a few times to help straighten things out in the past with that....
I wish they would do me a favor and "don't do me no favors".
The following 2 users liked this post by aklim:
jasinedward (05-05-2022), Michael A (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:30 PM
Noblebro175
Pro

Don't be ridiculous. The chassis won't support a trailer that is capable of holding that many stone tablets
maybe not an Eray. Gm and ford and well....reseaech ev truck towing capacities....heck, they've even started emptying electric trucks instead of the normal diesels. Just saying. It's fine if you dislike or don't approve ,but no sense in spreading hate and fake news.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:56 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Also don't forget they didn't even invite Elon Musk to the EV summit they had recently. How do you not invite the modern day innovator of EV's to the EV summit? That's some shady **** right there. All union BS.

Don't forget our reliance on foreign oil either.... I think the government has stepped in a few times to help straighten things out in the past with that....
Of course they didn't invite Elon...Tesla workers are not UAW members. The SECOND you leave Elon out of ANY conversation involving EV's, you look like an idiot (because you clearly ARE...an idiot).
I am neither for or against Elon, but NO ONE can deny what he has accomplished with his company...not even Biden.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:21 PM
aklim
Team Owner

maybe not an Eray. Gm and ford and well....reseaech ev truck towing capacities....heck, they've even started emptying electric trucks instead of the normal diesels. Just saying. It's fine if you dislike or don't approve ,but no sense in spreading hate and fake news.
I do like electric and if they get recharging fast, I would be in with the ERay
Old 05-05-2022, 06:38 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^
It's a hybrid. Charge it at night at home. You can't be stranded (unless you ignore the gas gauge)
I'll be amazed if the eRay has more than 15 miles of electric range.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^
It's a hybrid. Charge it at night at home. You can't be stranded (unless you ignore the gas gauge)
I'll be amazed if the eRay has more than 15 miles of electric range.
I thought it was going to be a hybrid then a full blown battery vehicle? Traditional without the plug, I could look at it if the price is right. I lasted more than 15 years with a diesel that you had to plug in at night in the winter so not interested in another plug. Uncoil wire in the evening, coll it up in the mornings. If they can run an unplugged hybrid for a few years to give them time to mature it, I definitely could see it.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:14 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

I could not believe that. Wouldn't you think that the leader of the largest manufacturer of EVs, the builder of the largest EV charging network and the largest manufacturer of EV batteries would have some constructive ideas? I trust the people of that party about as far as I can throw them.

Get notified of new replies

To Elecrtric Vettes, ! I don't think so

Old 05-06-2022, 04:49 PM
Noblebro175
Pro

I'm not even concerned with the current pollution problem. Hopefully be dead by the time we get there
that's a strange way to view the world and the problem humans create. I'll be dead so my kids, grand kids, etc can deal with it. Do you return the shopping cart or keave it next to the corvette parked one space over?
msm859 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 05:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

that's a strange way to view the world and the problem humans create. I'll be dead so my kids, grand kids, etc can deal with it.

Do you return the shopping cart or keave it next to the corvette parked one space over?
It's not within my power to fix. Simple as that. All the concern won't fix it.

I do return it to the corrals. However, if I were going to leave it, Corvette or beat up and rusty truck won't make the difference.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:19 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 968 Likes on 574 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

I would not be interested in a EV. I love my new C8, and will be keeping it for a long time.

Quick Reply: Elecrtric Vettes, ! I don't think so