Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

1st All EV sports car, the Maserati Grand Turismo Folgore

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 12:47 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,094 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by VER
I appreciate data-driven answers but as I read through this again, I can't tell where your company ranks Maserati (would also be curious about Alfa) in this metric: 'warranty cost per unit' by year, at the category/brand/model level for both limited warranty and the extended periods
Good question, and I'm going to give a bit different answer than you're probably expecting.
  • The work we do is for individual OEMs (many are multi-brand OEMs); and for huge OEMs that sell their VSCs and CPO programs on all makes.
  • There are several variables in the 'warranty cost per unit' that need to be considered. At the category and component levels (and deeper as data allows). These variables include claim frequency (how often something needs repair); claim severity (parts, labor, transportation, etc.); and other.
  • It's fair to rank order brand/models on repair frequency at various levels, but less so with 'warranty cost per unit'. Parts cost, labor, etc. are much more expensive on the more (call it exclusive, exotic, or whatever) cars - making 'warranty cost per unit' a more fair comparison at levels that account for parts/labor costs. For example, it wouldn't be a 'fair comparison' for warranty cost/unit or maintenance cost/unit for something like Ford vs. Ferrari (pun intended). But it might be a fair comparison for Maserati vs. Alfa, etc.
  • When we look at repair frequency at the category and component levels, it's a more fair comparison to look at Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, MB, Porsche, Alfa, Chev, Ford, etc.
With that background, here are some answers to your questions that may help (since we do work for individual OEMs and their VSC/CPO programs, we don't publish information so I'll share generalities:
  • Power train reliability (major component breakdown) - Maserati ranks in the second highest quartile of all brands during the last 8 years; Alfa in the third quartile (Alfa is improving).
  • Overall repair frequency: Maserati ranks in the top of the third quartile (that quartile is 26-50%), as does Alfa. So, pretty close to 'average' frequency.
  • Overall warranty cost/unit: Maserati ranks in the bottom quartile of all vehicles. Part and labor costs.
  • Overall maintenance cost/unit: Maserati ranks in the bottom quartile of all vehicles. Part and labor costs. For example: my Ferrari/Maserati dealer charges $550 for an oil change on our GT MC. (I do it myself for about $125, $65 of which is the cost of the oil filter).
So, if you look at repair frequency, Maserati and Alfa are pretty darn good. However, the 'costs' associated with the repairs/maintenance are very high. But expected due to the fact that there just aren't that many and the dealers can/do charge a lot for the work. In other words; Maserati's are pretty solid when it comes to repair frequency, but very expensive to own if you don't do maintenance, etc. yourself - which most owners don't want to, can't, etc. Alfa parts/labor costs aren't quite as high, but still much higher than an 'average' car.

It's not really a 'reliability' issue, it's a cost issue. These types of cars cost a lot to own, and much of that is due to the really high cost of parts and labor compared with 'all vehicles'. It's surprising (or not) how many people confuse 'high cost of ownership', or 'high warranty costs per vehicle' with 'reliability'. Often not the same.

ALL OEMs have issues - it's how they handle them that counts. In that regard, my experience with Maserati, MB, etc. dealers has been stellar. My experience with GM, Ford dealers has been spotty - sometimes really good, other times horrible.

Hope this helps. Best, Paul

Last edited by Hopper12; 09-06-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:56 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shokosugi
Every Maserati I’ve ever been in or contemplated buying was built like a total POS. The design of this EV looks totally dated to me even if it looks better than a Tesla.
Interesting. Every Maserati I've test driven (several - probably 25 or so since 2005) or owned (still own one) has been extremely well put together. Perfect gaps, simple but elegant interiors with very high-quality materials, really nice paint (I've won best paint awards in my days in the ISCA, so I'm really picky about paint), etc. Exactly what I would expect from a semi/mostly-hand crafted car. Are they quirky? You bet. Have they historically been behind in electronic features? Yes, but got better in 2018+. Are they great, solid, GT cars? IMO and experience, yes. Sorry you've not experienced the same.
The following users liked this post:
Michael A (09-30-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 02:28 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fishfryer527
Please let the Maserati designers know they can record stop by and the sounds my Big Block corvette makes and pipe it into the occupants as an optional soundtrack. While it may frighten a few… It will be a nice change for them.
Gave me a good laugh! We own an L71 roadster (427/435/Tri-power) with off road exhaust, and a GT MC with aftermarket x-pipe. I enjoy both exhaust notes for different reasons. The cammed up idle on our vette rattles the windows in the house and sounds great going thru the gears. The sweet sound of that n/a Ferrari engine in our Maserati, as it screams past 7k is soooo satisfying. I wouldn't trade one for the other in either car.

But your point is well taken. How the heck do you make those kinds of music in an EV?? Fake exhaust sounds (heard some of that in the Mas EV) just doesn't seem right, but what do you do? It's a bummer. In future generations will we have 'gearheads' comparing the different 'whooshes' their EVs make?
Old 09-06-2022, 11:36 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,394 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
……l. In future generations will we have 'gearheads' comparing the different 'whooshes' their EVs make?
I figure people will put cards on their calipers to make that noise as the wheel spins like we used to do with bicycles.
msm859 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 07:37 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,328 Posts

What does this have to do with the Corvette, shouldn’t this be in other cars?
Michael A (09-08-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 10:28 AM
VER
Drifting

Received 1,735 Likes on 741 Posts

This subforum is pretty quiet at the moment so I don't think it's a huge deal.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:40 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,314 Likes on 6,064 Posts

My thoughts:

1. Car looks dated; is it not just the current/old one?

2. Interesting to put the electric drivetrain in a "traditional" chassis w/o using a skateboard.

3. What's up with the George Jetson sound track during acceleration?
Old 09-07-2022, 01:50 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by VER
This subforum is pretty quiet at the moment so I don't think it's a huge deal.
I didn’t say it was a big deal only asked a question, no need to be dramatic.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:45 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,042 Likes on 555 Posts

I’ll take a Porsche Taycan Turbo S over this Maserati which is of questionable quality and to my eyes lacking in style. It appears to be based on an ICE platform so the center of gravity will be higher than it could be and it will weigh more because EV specific platforms use the batter case as a structural member.

msm859 (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 02:26 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 3,015 Likes on 1,416 Posts

We need a law to force manufacturers to provide a switch to permanently turn off these fake noises.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:16 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by Michael A
We need a law to force manufacturers to provide a switch to permanently turn off these fake noises.
An EV can pretend to be an ICE if it wants, you can’t tell it what it can’t do as it has the right to be fake...
Old 09-10-2022, 07:04 AM
pksjc
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

With many EV safety features, I believe EVs have to make some noise now as a way to let pedestrians know the car is coming. My Chevy Volt made a low noise at slower speeds for this purpose, so I guess a fake ICE rumble can serve the same safety goal.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:58 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Electrics are never going to have the noise of ICE and that is something that will rankle a lot of folks. Electrics offer other things as we move on; even though fake noises are an anathema to those same individuals. I would like to have projected sounds, something that can be legalized and allowing customized emanations, from the sound of a spaceship (although ships make no sound in space), to a Hoth speeder (Tm). The noise is artificial, but the experience may become something else as we consider piped in or rather piped out noises as a part of the character of BEVs as opposed to the natural sound of an ICE. This is not a popular opinion to be sure, but I would not be opposed to modular sound elements that harmonize with acceleration.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:21 AM
JillyBean
Burning Brakes

Received 668 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Interesting. Every Maserati I've test driven (several - probably 25 or so since 2005) or owned (still own one) has been extremely well put together. Perfect gaps, simple but elegant interiors with very high-quality materials, really nice paint (I've won best paint awards in my days in the ISCA, so I'm really picky about paint), etc. Exactly what I would expect from a semi/mostly-hand crafted car. Are they quirky? You bet. Have they historically been behind in electronic features? Yes, but got better in 2018+. Are they great, solid, GT cars? IMO and experience, yes. Sorry you've not experienced the same.
agreed wife has a 2018 Maserati levante
absolutely loves it
Hopper12 (10-07-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 07:49 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Sadly Maserati does not make attractive car imo. This goes for their interior as well. They're just bland and awkward looking and Aston Martin wannabe looks. They need new designers. But the new MC mid engine looks very good (not stunning though) in person.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:28 AM
VER
Drifting

Received 1,735 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Sadly Maserati does not make attractive car imo. This goes for their interior as well. They're just bland and awkward looking and Aston Martin wannabe looks. They need new designers. But the new MC mid engine looks very good (not stunning though) in person.
The MC20 is the probably best looking car released to the market in years. Especially the Cielo.

The GranTurismo is a good looking car, too... It's just it feels a bit dated but that's what they're going for.

Italians make the best looking cars. It's just the problems that keep people away.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:59 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by VER
Insert comment about Maserati reliability
Oh come on now...I have the same level of faith in an all electric Italian car that I do in an all electric British car....

As far as the GT's looks, I think it looks great for that type of car (let's call the styling "evolutionary", shall we?), especially after Aston Martin pooped the bed on their current cars...

Get notified of new replies

To 1st All EV sports car, the Maserati Grand Turismo Folgore

Old 10-11-2022, 02:57 AM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

The Rimac Nevera exists and has been out for while. Or is there some metric other than "full EV sports car" that would disqualify it? It made enough headlines as the fastest car in the world and it roasted a Tesla Plaid on DragTimes YouTube channel so it's not like it's a secret. Not sure why anyone would think this was first when it obviously isn't.
ArmchairArchitect (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 03:50 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,919 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Note to OP: The Tesla Roadster came out in 2008, 14 years ago. This is not the "first".
Red Mist Rulz (10-24-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 04:29 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Nice looking car. But yes 1200 hp and 0-60 in only 2.6 does not add up. The Tesla S Plaid has just over 1000 hp and does 0-60 in 2 seconds or less. If the C8 with the Z51 package can do 0-60 in 2.8, it should not be too difficult for GM to shave .2 or more seconds off that.
It’s all about the weight, Tesla S Plaid isn’t really impressive given it has over 1000 hp. For example the 911 Turbo S Lightweight does 0-60 in 2.1 and only has 640 hp. 400hp less cost only .2 seconds. EVs are diminishing returns.

Last edited by Majestic94; 10-19-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st All EV sports car, the Maserati Grand Turismo Folgore