C8 Forced Induction/Nitrous C8 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth

And so it begins, C8 twin turbo kit at ECS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 12:41 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Some pics that are being sent out for the CARB certification, we are hoping this helps with the tuning process but we'll see.
Does that mean that GM has hinted around that it will only supply tuning options to those that are CARB/50 state certified?
Old 01-07-2021, 09:33 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,093 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Is there any way to get air filter out from engine bay ?
ie get cold air from side scoops ?

every degree colder air in is a good thing :-)

tia

Rune
Hi Rune, yes they will be as low as possible into the duct, it doesn't look it in the picture but they do sit out of the engine bay and fully in the incoming air stream.

Originally Posted by NoOne
Does that mean that GM has hinted around that it will only supply tuning options to those that are CARB/50 state certified?
It has been hinted yes, but I can't say that for certain. Either way, we want it 50 state legal.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:27 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Interesting you chose to use a stepped logged design. Good luck with the EO # and CARB #s, I know it will add to the cost of the kit but it's great that people can buy an approved power adder that will pass smog.
nothing wrong with stepped log if don’t right (conical is better though)! See the below link for some interesting info. Also easier to cast in stainless / inconnel!

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/nis...anifold-turbo/

Last edited by chuntington101; 01-09-2021 at 06:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 04:04 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 240 Posts

From our testing and research, it seems that a stepped log design is good to about the 1000 hp mark, we plan to also make a cast stainless manifold that will be for the higher HP builds but it will allow us to do back to back testing. From there we will decide if we are going to have two set ups or just focus on one.
My guess is if you have the space or there is reasonable space to service plugs, and install, is that you will end up with cast stainless manifold. Whatever it ends up being I'm sure it will be a great product. But as you know with CARB and obtaining and EO number it is specific so you would end up needing a different CARB or EO number for a different manifold.

Originally Posted by chuntington101
nothing wrong with stepped log if don’t right (conical is better though)! See the below link for some interesting info. Also easier to cast in stainless / inconnel!

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/nis...anifold-turbo/
No need and never said there was anything wrong with a stepped log, it is just not as good as a header with merge at the flange...proven design in endurance racing over all else. However all of my turbo diesels whether it be a Navstar or Duramax use logs and they will last 100k's of miles.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 01-11-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:24 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
No need and never said there was anything wrong with a stepped log, it is just not as good as a header with merge at the flange...proven design in endurance racing over all else. However all of my turbo diesels whether it be a Navstar or Duramax use logs and they will last 100k's of miles.
If you look at the link I posted and read the ‘Design’ page they go into a lot of detail around the different designs tested before coming up with the chosen one. Seems some F1 teams are using similar designs as well now (guessing more to do with packaging than anything).

The bad bad thing about a header design will be heat! It could turn the engine compartment into an oven really easily! Logs tend to be less hot as they tend to be 1) thicker material, 2) significantly less surface area, 3) more compact / more space between important bits & 4) easier to insulate.

Obviously you can make a header system work but if you want a crack free design that’s as durable as f*ck you really can’t beat a log design.
Shinobi'sZ (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 12:58 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
If you look at the link I posted and read the ‘Design’ page they go into a lot of detail around the different designs tested before coming up with the chosen one. Seems some F1 teams are using similar designs as well now (guessing more to do with packaging than anything).

The bad bad thing about a header design will be heat! It could turn the engine compartment into an oven really easily! Logs tend to be less hot as they tend to be 1) thicker material, 2) significantly less surface area, 3) more compact / more space between important bits & 4) easier to insulate.

Obviously you can make a header system work but if you want a crack free design that’s as durable as f*ck you really can’t beat a log design.
I speak more from experience than I do opinion in this matter. Not that I don't enjoy or appreciate learning about different things I have more real world development and use than most on this board. Given my involvement (my design with shout out to Jim Hall for the Halltech kit as inspiration) of the C5 PTK kit, which included having to come up with mitigating heat with the 1 7/8" primaries, header merge collector into T4 flange all being 2" from the hood. I ended up with a kit that I drove in California summer heat 105-110* for 5 hours to the last A&A BBQ (Dec 2005 Vette Mag), plus 12K miles before I sold the car with NO heat related failures of any underhood components. Car went to LA in 2013, and is now in Oregon still running. Prior to the PTK kit my C5Z was the test mule for all of the R&D work with TTi. Which ultimately led to Phil redesigning to the TTiX kit. That said I'm pretty familiar with all of the real world designs and engineering benefits...especially being somebody that provides engineering oversight as a career for aircraft, trains, and highways.

Logs do create heat and hot spots which can lead to other thing like warping and different effects with exhaust pulses as they combine pulses along the log before exiting. That's the disadvantage to them really. I think Doug has pointed out that another option might be pursued in the future for higher hp applications, obviously a log manifold that is capable of 1000hp, saves space, and is easier to mitigate heat is a very attractive option. But there are engineering facts and engineering opinions, engineering fact is a log manifold is not as efficient or as good as a lt header merge collector, if it were it would be used in endurance racing, but it's not. Engineering opinion is that a stepped log is likely the best design for the C8 given the engine compartment and surrounding space.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 01-13-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:12 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

@Shinobi'sZ totally agree that a equal length header with a proper collector is the best solution in terms of flow and overall performance. However haven’t seen many ‘kits’ that use them in the V8 world.

Even the import guys guys tend to run collectors with very steep angles between runners and short collectors. Maybe less of an issue compared to NA though (hotter and fender exhaust gas flows differently???)?
Old 01-18-2021, 10:59 AM
Timz16
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Doug, does it make any difference with your kit to order the z51 package with a little extra cooling, or not? Thanks
Old 01-18-2021, 12:23 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Originally Posted by Timz16
Doug, does it make any difference with your kit to order the z51 package with a little extra cooling, or not? Thanks
Our street kit will fit all models, Z51, non Z51, convertibles, and will not take up any of the trunk or frunk space.

Thanks for your interest!
Old 01-19-2021, 08:28 AM
Timz16
Instructor

Thanks for your answer! However, have you noticed whether the z51 cools down the engine any quicker with your kit? Or is it not worth spending the $6k for that? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2021, 11:37 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Thanks for your answer! However, have you noticed whether the z51 cools down the engine any quicker with your kit? Or is it not worth spending the $6k for that? Thanks!
Without tuning I don't even know what kind of power it will make let alone temps.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:49 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Without tuning I don't even know what kind of power it will make let alone temps.
I imagine you don't want to sell it like this but have you done some initial testing with a piggy back?
Old 01-19-2021, 12:06 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,389 Likes on 2,075 Posts

There are a lot of other reasons to get the Z51 package besides the extra cooling.

Will you be driving at Max power for minutes at a time?

What will you be doing with the car?
Old 01-19-2021, 12:22 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by NoOne
I imagine you don't want to sell it like this but have you done some initial testing with a piggy back?
Others are doing that, the youtube crowd is just winging it, but we are a manufacturer and unless we are going to sell it that way in masses, which I do not see many people being OK with their new car not passing inspection, then we will not waste our time in that direction.

So it's just a painstaking waiting game at the moment. We plan on making a supercharger kit as well, but we stopped going forward until the TT kit is sellable. No point in having two FI kits we can't sell.
blue_bomber697 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 08:59 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Others are doing that, the youtube crowd is just winging it, but we are a manufacturer and unless we are going to sell it that way in masses, which I do not see many people being OK with their new car not passing inspection, then we will not waste our time in that direction.

So it's just a painstaking waiting game at the moment. We plan on making a supercharger kit as well, but we stopped going forward until the TT kit is sellable. No point in having two FI kits we can't sell.
I know they may not sound like the best solution but Burger has got it down pat. On my S5 I run E35, maxed out the boost on the turbo(before it turns into a heat pump) and it drives just like stock. They have people running bigger turbo's, meth control, etc...the only discernable difference and even they admit they can't fix it if your pay attention the idle is just a hair off.

Then again I don't have to worry about emissions or any of that.

They did finally crack the Siemens ECU though but I haven't followed that much because the JB4 works so well.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:53 AM
Timz16
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racer X
There are a lot of other reasons to get the Z51 package besides the extra cooling.

Will you be driving at Max power for minutes at a time?

What will you be doing with the car?
occasional quarter mile runs at the strip. But I am in Louisiana swamp heat and humidity. Past superchargers needed cool down times between passes.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:13 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,389 Likes on 2,075 Posts

occasional quarter mile runs at the strip. But I am in Louisiana swamp heat and humidity. Past superchargers needed cool down times between passes.
I would do it, plus the Z51 has slightly steeper gears.you might try an electric leaf blower to get extra flow across the radiator, and maybe misting the radiators.

one of the disadvantages of a blower is they produce more heat for the same power to the crank as the blower requires HP to drive the blower.

Get notified of new replies

To And so it begins, C8 twin turbo kit at ECS

Old 01-23-2021, 07:54 AM
Raven911
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 69 Posts

Our street kit will fit all models, Z51, non Z51, convertibles, and will not take up any of the trunk or frunk space.

Thanks for your interest!

Doug.......so your saying your kit will definitely fit in the C8 HTC ? Have you installed one in a HTC yet? How much more difficult is the install vs. the coupe?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Raven911; 01-23-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:33 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by Raven911
Doug.......so your saying your kit will definitely fit in the C8 HTC ? Have you installed one in a HTC yet? How much more difficult is the install vs. the coupe?

Thanks!!!

Yes it will fit, we didn't design the kit by sticking turbo's in there and seeing what fit, this is a 100% engineered CAD drawn kit that was completely designed before we even had the car.
schpenxel (01-28-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:19 PM
Display333
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CSEVEN
slow car? it's faster than a C7 ZRI from 0-60, maybe you should stick to the old stuff.
I agree 1000 percent!!!

can this much work , money, effort, unreliabilty, warranty voiding and all the rest possibly be worth it??? what are you going to gain? is there an true upside? who are you going to "beat"... and do you get paid for that?

where can you use quicker that 3.0 seconds to 60 mph... or higher big end than 185 ish?

if you really want something quicker for some reason... shouldnt you just buy a real race car for 1/2 the money... and not ruin a beautiful corvette?

just askin....
Racer86 (01-26-2021)

Quick Reply: And so it begins, C8 twin turbo kit at ECS