Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the GM Mid Engine Forum or the 8th Generation Corvette Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:09 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Is this the GM Mid Engine Forum or the 8th Generation Corvette Forum?

The GM Mid Engine and the 8th Generation Corvette are not going to be the same vehicle. If this forum is for discussing the C8, then why were the ME posts put in this forum? A better forum name for this section might be "Future Product Development Forum" or something along those lines until there is a known 8th Generation Corvette leak or announcement from GM?
The following 8 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
Corvette ED (03-09-2017), drs (03-02-2017), jimmyb (02-28-2017), OnPoint (02-28-2017), phantasms (02-27-2017), skank (02-28-2017), Z06NJ (02-28-2017), ZL-1 (03-17-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Well, right now it's the "mid-engine" forum since that's going to be here before the C8...
The following users liked this post:
jagamajajaran (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 09:55 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

Reviewing your previous posts on the subject, you seem to have insight on both the ME and C8 development that is unique to CF.

The ME images so far available certainly appear to posses a significant amount of C7 DNA so I, like many, have guessed its a C8.

From what you are saying, the only logical conclusion would be that the ME is either a Cadillac or an expansion of a future Corvette model line (ME, C8, hybrid crossover, sport sedan, etc.).

To me, an expansion of the Corvette model line (think Porsche) ensures Corvette brand sustainability and expands the spectrum of pricing, performance, and market share - plus there is no lack of cool model names - Zora, Manta Ray, Eagle Ray, E-Ray, etc.

Can you give us any insight from your perspective on the strategy behind the development of both a ME and a C8?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:43 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

^^^ The cost of the ME will be such that it will limit the market for such a vehicle. There is no way GM is going to throw away a Corvette that they can sell upwards of 20,000 or more per year for a car they are only going to produce a small fraction of. There are facts that have been shared publicly from reputable sources involved in the production of the Corvette line over the last two years that can be compiled to provide a compelling case for a GM ME super car that will be a separate model line from the Corvette and its variations. One thing I know for certain, you can't believe everything you hear, especially when it comes from media sources outside of GM. But, like I always say, time will tell.
The following 4 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
Corvette ED (03-09-2017), JustinStrife (03-12-2017), skank (02-28-2017), tomlink (03-01-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 12:49 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

I do agree there is a bit of a misnomer with this particular sub-forum, because as of right now there is zero confirmation that the ME car will be the C8, well let alone a Corvette for that matter. Now depending on the ME's reception, performance, overall success etc, there's nothing saying it won't be the basis for the C8Z. We have history to look back on and how previously high performance levels are now available in lower model Vettes.

That aside, I do think the mods should rename this to avoid a cluster when the C8 is actually announced and the eventual release of this mysterious ME car.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

From the sub title "The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it make take."

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
The GM Mid Engine and the 8th Generation Corvette are not going to be the same vehicle. If this forum is for discussing the C8, then why were the ME posts put in this forum? A better forum name for this section might be "Future Product Development Forum" or something along those lines until there is a known 8th Generation Corvette leak or announcement from GM?
Old 02-28-2017, 02:22 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

^^^ Is that new? I don't remember seeing it. But I still think naming the forum the C8 General Discussion Forum creates the perception that the C8 is going to be the ME based on all of the ME threads that were moved into this forum. No biggie though.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:41 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I don't believe the ME will be a C8. It'll be another variant of the C7. With the C8 farther out on the time line, we probably will ultimately need a C7 ME subforum and then also a C8 subforum.

Would make sense to go ahead and start the former, particularly since we have the latter now. That way the ME discussion could continue in their own C7 ME sub.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:21 PM
KMS-CO
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I don't believe the ME will be a C8. It'll be another variant of the C7. With the C8 farther out on the time line, we probably will ultimately need a C7 ME subforum and then also a C8 subforum.

Would make sense to go ahead and start the former, particularly since we have the latter now. That way the ME discussion could continue in their own C7 ME sub.
Its not The C8 and the mid engined GM sports car are two totally different cars. The mid engine car may not even carry the Corvette name.

Last edited by KMS-CO; 03-04-2017 at 08:23 PM.
jagamajajaran (03-04-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^This...I still think the ME if it happens will be under the cadillac name and sure as hell wont be called a Corvette. Can't have a front engine corvette then not even mid cycle say here is another corvette but its now a ME and the price is jumping up 100k..Then what no more mid 50k Corvettes? Cmon guys..To those who think that..

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-05-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:06 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

GM had talks of a Corvette brand about 15 years ago.

Product planning goes a long way and things get shelved, brought back, shelved, brought back, shelved, over and over again until they either finally die or see the light of day.

They usually die when the person who had a hard on for the idea retires or literally dies and the idea goes with it.

The Grand Wagoneer was supposed to make its return in '98/'99 and work started on it in the mid 90's. Now it was very far along for '18/'19 and might be dead again. 20 years a program came and went 4-5 times before it may finally see the light of day....or not.

Maybe this is the launch of a brand ala SRT with FCA but a bit more specific and far reaching.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-05-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
From the sub title "The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it make take."
Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
^^^ Is that new? I don't remember seeing it. But I still think naming the forum the C8 General Discussion Forum creates the perception that the C8 is going to be the ME based on all of the ME threads that were moved into this forum. No biggie though.
No, it is not new. It was there from the very beginning.

Until we have an official announcement from GM on the C8, or the ME or both, we'll have this section that covers both (The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take. ).
The following 2 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
jagamajajaran (03-05-2017), XC6VETTE (03-12-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 05:23 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

^^^ Thanks!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:01 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Good question because it might help some to clarify in their own minds that:

1. C7 is the current generational tag for the traditional Corvette family.
2. C8 is likely the next future generational tag for the traditional Corvette family.
3. The traditional front engine Corvette platform is going to continue far into the future.
4. There is a GM mid-engine high performance car that will debut within the next 2 years.
5. The new mid-engine car may or may not be a Corvette. It might be a Cadillac vehicle.
6. If it is a Corvette, the ME car may or may not be part of the C8 family.
jagamajajaran (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 11:31 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^ Can you post this for all the idiots in all the other threads that think the "C8" will be here next year and think the current c7 will only have 5 year run according to them.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-13-2017 at 12:03 AM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:04 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

^^^ Many of us have been saying that.....shocking that no one is paying attention....LOL!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Good to have a c8 forum to discuss future corvette possibilities...front or rear mid engine sports cars...

I'm hopeful the c8 will start as a sixty grand rear mid engine sports car...

I do believe a zora will come first as a rear mid engine to pave the way for the c8 and absorb a portion of the development costs ...and give future rear mid engine models the halo of greatness...

Much the same way the Lexus LFA did for the recently released Lexus Sc500 or whatever it's labeled...LC500.

We re just shooting the breeze since none of us can actually say we know any facts here on the corvette forum.

I look forward to the c7 ZR1 as the fastest corvette of all time as a swan song to the front engine corvette...
Old 03-13-2017, 02:38 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Why this "desire" to see the front engine Corvette disappear? What is the advantage to GM of destroying the Corvette line? Because, if a mid-engine Corvette is the ONLY Corvette, and it averages 30% -50% more than the C7 Corvette and is not a road trip car, exactly exactly how does one conclude that Corvette sales will either hold or increase?

I can assure you that GM doesn't have the slightest idea of how to do that. So, please enlighten GM and the rest of us as to the perceived marketing strategy and price ranges that are going to accomplish this little miracle.

Bottom line the traditional front engine Corvette is a performance bargain sports car with high utility. Road trips for two people. Make runs to the grocery store and Home Depot and load it up. Five day golfing trip for two players up to Pebble Beach and stopping at two more courses on the way home? Not a problem. Three day trip to the national park in the next state for two people with their dog. Not a problem.

Now, I've owned mid-engine sports cars and I could never do any of those things with them except in a very limited way. Doesn't mean they aren't great cars, just means utility is limited. I have a friend that currently owns a beautiful front engine Ferrari and a mid-engine Ferrari. Guess which one is the wonderful super fun around town plaything and which gets used for multi day road trips and golf trips?

Now, all this doesn't mean that GM shouldn't have a mid-engine corporate bragging rights super sports car that is either a Chevy or a Cadillac. But if that type of vehicle is the only Corvette made then the Corvettes days are numbered, plain and simple.

Last edited by B747VET; 03-13-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:58 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I just want something a little different. If GM wants to produce two corvettes a front mid engine and a rear mid engine that's fine.

I use my corvette as a daily driver and you are right the trunk is huge...still I thought it would be fun to see a transformation of the brand to something mid engine..

I'd like the low front cowl...of a Porsche 911 ...and a nice turn of the Porsche as well. Every other attribute of the corvette I want to keep.

I would like a dct transmission option as well but I'm ok with a manual and a torque converter automatic as well. I haven't decided if after 40 years of driving manuals if I'm really ready for an automatic anyway...but finally they are quicker god dam it..

The c7 is cool but after my third new corvette and thinking about my fourth...I was thinking the c7 was yet an I,proved version of the c6...I was thinking of buying a jaguar f type supercharged v8 or a Porsche for something a little different...

After test driving both and thinking about the crazy costs over time maintaining the German sports car...and driving both of these three back to back...I decided I wanted to stay with corvettes...

Now if GM offered a mid rear engined corvette for an extra five grand over the present c7 z51 ...as a base price...I'd ju,p at it I believe...

I would be willing to give up the huge trunk for a rear mid engine benefit in handling and forward vision...what can I say I like the more race car like driving experience of seeing the road like an open wheel race car as opposed to a long hood pony car I had when I drove my 1969 convertible firebird as a teenager back in the mid 1970s...

Just my opinion and nothing more...I'm sure the front engine corvette will rally on for more years...and that's great too...

Maybe I'll pick up a c7 z06 and enjoy the difference 650 hp from the factory is like...

Still Zora s dream of a mid rear engine corvette could be a turning point for the corvette brand...

It would allow the Camaro to morph into something even greater than it already is....and not dam if that new alpha platform Camaro ZL1 1LE isn't off the chart ...from a performance perspective...

Differentiating the two from a performance perspective alone is getting tougher..

Moving corvette to a mid engine rear position might give corvette a fundamental design improvement that allows both Camaro and corvette to be the best they can be...with the heir achy of corvette being just a little bit better due to its fundamental design of rear mid engine...

That day is coming

Jmo

Get notified of new replies

To Is this the GM Mid Engine Forum or the 8th Generation Corvette Forum?

Quick Reply: Is this the GM Mid Engine Forum or the 8th Generation Corvette Forum?