Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Engine C8 Corvette to boast near six-figure price, arrive in 2019

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:29 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=JerriVette;1594796571]I travel about about an hour and forty minutes to be able to utilize the dealership that delivers excellence in service. I could travel twenty minutes and go to three relatively local dealerships that could offer good service but I prefer excellence.

I will say when you treat the service staff like the wonderful people they are...all of a sudden they wake up to the idea of delivering excellence...

True...in most cases. However, that treatment is a two-way street.

Dealerships are privately owned and operated...

And should be held accountable for the service they provide. I know customer service questionnaire's are very important to a dealership. Just not sure how "effective" they are in getting a dealerships attention.

Go to a BMW or Mercedes dealership and get ready to bend over...Ferrari and Maserati even more so..

Thus the reason I don't own those vehicles. Gentleman who works for me had a BMW maintenance bill for over $300.... Oil change service and tire rotation (if I remember correctly)....good grief!

The beauty of corvettes is the shared GM parts bin make owning this super sports car so reasonable over real world miles...

Agree!

I imagine I'm in the minority that don't want dohc motors...I love ohv v8 s that share their design and block with the truck motors.

I'm in the minority also. Don't want anything to do with dohc....I'll keep my naturally aspirated V8, thank you.

Anybody can own and run a corvette and that's why it's so popular among the masses....

Hopefully Tadge and all the others keep the C8/9/10/11, etc. that way. It would be a tragedy for Corvette to become nothing more than an elitist sports car.

I'm in for a rear mid engine 500 hp v8 corvette starting around 65 grand...

Never owned or driven a ME. Perfectly happy with my 460 hp and FE C7. Will I buy a ME Corvette? Probably not. Especially if the 2LT hovers in the 65k-70k region, definitely not if it jumps above 70k. Having a ME would just be a status symbol for most....and its just not that important to me. I love the vette for its practicality, power (within reason) and beauty. I don't need a 500-800 hp ME vette.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:08 AM
Friendly guy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Viper strategy?

Originally Posted by JoesC5
$89,000 is way to much for an entry level Corvette that is now less than $56,000.

50% increase in price will kill the Corvette.
No, it would just reduce Corvette sales. What is the purpose of the vette in terms of corporate objectives? To make the car affordable to more buyers? NO!

The purpose of the vette is to cast the performance halo effect on the entire brand so that they can sell insipid grocery getters and pick up trucks for far more than they are worth....

The Viper is a halo car and has always been built in far lower numbers at considerably higher retail price than the vette. So, think of the C8 as a much more expensive higher performance halo car that will be available to far fewer buyers yet give the corporation the same halo benefits.

From the corporate vantage point why knock yourself out building tens of thousands of vettes when the same or even more powerful halo effect could be achieved by building a much lower volume of considerably more expensive and exclusive C8s?

I assure you the corporation does not care if you can afford a vette. It cares about the effect the existence of the vette has on sales and margins of the other vehicles it sells. I'm sure that the corporation has had many conversations over the years of whether or not to even keep the car in the lineup......and in the end I think the reason that it is still there is the highly positive vibes that go through some dumb saps mind as he shops for his next totally bland SUV for his "growing family" etc. He cannot have a vette but by golly he can have a car that is made by the same company that makes the vette. This formula has worked for generations.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:25 AM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Originally Posted by Friendly guy
No, it would just reduce Corvette sales. What is the purpose of the vette in terms of corporate objectives? To make the car affordable to more buyers? NO!

The purpose of the vette is to cast the performance halo effect on the entire brand so that they can sell insipid grocery getters and pick up trucks for far more than they are worth....

The Viper is a halo car and has always been built in far lower numbers at considerably higher retail price than the vette. So, think of the C8 as a much more expensive higher performance halo car that will be available to far fewer buyers yet give the corporation the same halo benefits.

From the corporate vantage point why knock yourself out building tens of thousands of vettes when the same or even more powerful halo effect could be achieved by building a much lower volume of considerably more expensive and exclusive C8s?

I assure you the corporation does not care if you can afford a vette. It cares about the effect the existence of the vette has on sales and margins of the other vehicles it sells. I'm sure that the corporation has had many conversations over the years of whether or not to even keep the car in the lineup......and in the end I think the reason that it is still there is the highly positive vibes that go through some dumb saps mind as he shops for his next totally bland SUV for his "growing family" etc. He cannot have a vette but by golly he can have a car that is made by the same company that makes the vette. This formula has worked for generations.
You must have not been following GM's story on why they went through drastic changes in making the C7. They wanted to appeal to MORE people specifically the YOUNGER generation. Good luck achieving that with your guess about the C8. By the way, the "Halo Viper" has ended production. I wonder why?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:06 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Friendly guy

It is a well know fact(except to you) that when the Corvette's sales dropped to around 20,000 annually in 1992, GM was going to pull the plug on the Corvette.

"halo" model or not, the Corvette has to make money for GM, and high production/sales(for a sports car) has always(since 1963) been instrumental in the Corvette making money.

You would be Surprised as to how many GM customers have absolutely no interest in the Corvette, and the Corvette has absolutely no influence in them buying a Silverado, etc.

Most of them just look at that new Corvette that's in the dealer's showroom as a means of killing time while waiting to see if their loan application has been approved for the Cruz they are wanting to buy. When they walked into the dealer's showroom, they had no idea that a Corvette was even in the showroom, as that was not the reason they entered the showroom in the first place.

For me personally, I went to the dealer to buy a new C5 in 1997 and a new C6 in 2008. I could care less about any other products GM builds, so the Corvette is not an influence(ie: halo) as to what other cars I buy, like my Mercedes daily driver. A Corvette built by GM did not make me buy an Impala vs a Mercedes.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-25-2017 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JustinStrife (06-06-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:27 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

This notion of "Halo" cars not having to pull their fiscal weight is patently incorrect. The Viper is DONE because it lost money. If it (the Viper) was such a showroom traffic draw, why has Chrysler had 3 owners in 15 years? To think that some couple buys a Tahoe because the same company makes Corvette....well, I'd sure love to see ANY research that proves that.

As far as taking the Corvette line up market, selling fewer cars for more money, the big question is why would GM plow $800 million into Bowling Green Assembly in the last 2 years if they are planning on Corvette being a 10,000 car/year brand?

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-25-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:34 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

^^^^ I completely agree with you about the "Halo" concept.
The Viper is a perfect example of why the theory is a Fail.
I'm sure there was a LOT of folks who stopped at their local Dodge dealer to look at a Viper, but walked out with a Caravan instead.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

More competition for the high dollar sport car dollar and it is stunning.

And it's not a mid engine design.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos...cid=spartandhp
Old 05-25-2017, 08:52 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

The new 8 series BMW can't really be called a "sports" car, IMO. The article has it right....this car's completion will be Mercedes S class coupe, the Lexus LC500, Bentley Continental GT V8, Aston Martin DB11, etc. Speaking of A-M, that rear 3 quarter view of the BMW sure has some Aston Martin look to it.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-25-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:35 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

After failing to design an exciting looking car for the 100th time, looks like BMW has broken down and copied AM.
Hey, if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em.

FWIW, a GT, which is what this car appears to be, is technically a "Sportscar," although most of us hardcore hard-asses would disagree.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:04 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^^
Well, count me as HC/HA on this one.
Sports "coupe" is more correct.
sunsalem (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:03 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimmyb
The new 8 series BMW can't really be called a "sports" car, IMO. The article has it right....this car's completion will be Mercedes S class coupe, the Lexus LC500, Bentley Continental GT V8, Aston Martin DB11, etc. Speaking of A-M, that rear 3 quarter view of the BMW sure has some Aston Martin look to it.
I couldn't tell from the photo but it didn't appear to be a 2+2 coupe. But then a Porsche 911 is a 2+2 and it's a "sports" car and not a "sports" coupe. Or is it?

What differenates a "sport coupe" from a "sports car"? Size of the owner's bank account? The way it is driven,? Which class it's put in at a local car show?

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-26-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:22 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sunsalem
After failing to design an exciting looking car for the 100th time, looks like BMW has broken down and copied AM.
Hey, if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em.

FWIW, a GT, which is what this car appears to be, is technically a "Sportscar," although most of us hardcore hard-asses would disagree.
Then a soft-*** would call a Stingray a "sports coupe" and a bad-*** would call a Z06 a "Sports car"? is this correct? The nomenclature of a car is defined by those who drive it?

How about the AMG GT? Would a soft-*** call the AMG GT a "sport coupe" and a bad-*** call the AMG GTR a "sports car"? I guess that means the AMG GT S would be a "sport Coupar" since its half way between a "Sports car" and a "sport coupe".

What should I call my 1964 Corvette coupe? It's not a bad-*** as it has an automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, power windows, all tinted glass, AM-FM radio, leather. etc. It isn't a 375 horse fuelly with a 4 speed Muncie and a 36 gallon gas tank with special front and rear suspension and sintered metallic brakes.

Is my 64 a soft-*** "sport coupe" or a bas-*** "sports car"?

I always thought that it was called a "sports car" by GM and their Corvette chief engineer, and not a "sport coupe".

Whether you want to call the BMW a "sports car" or a "sport coupe" really doesn't matter as it will be competition against a high dollar mid engine Corvette/Cadillac as well as the NSX, the Porsche 911, the Mercedes AMG GT and the Mercedes SL roadsters, etc. People that have $150,000+ to spend on a "sports car" or a "sport coupe" will look at the BMW and see how it stacks up against all the other $150,000+ "sports cars" and "sport coupes" out there.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-26-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:09 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Agreed that the $150K group doesn't really care whether I think the 8 series is a sports car or a sports coupe. As far as the 911, to call it a 2+2 is the height of comedy. A 4 year old won't fit in those back seats!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:41 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Agreed that the $150K group doesn't really care whether I think the 8 series is a sports car or a sports coupe. As far as the 911, to call it a 2+2 is the height of comedy. A 4 year old won't fit in those back seats!
While that is true, Porsche still calls it a "sports car" and a 2+2.

"This principle has made the 911 fit for the future since 1963. 2+2 seats are the ideal concept for a compact and purebred sports car that nevertheless offers an astonishing amount of space and an airy feel."

It's in their brochure, on their website.

How about the Mercedes SL roadster. This is what Mercedes says...."WITHIN THE BODY OF A BELOVED SPORTS CAR IS THE HEART AND SOUL OF A RACING LEGEND". In their brochure and on their website.

Is it a "sports car" or a "sports coupe"? From 362HP/369 lb-ft up to 621HP/738lb-ft. All versions are a 2 seater car with a retractable hard top.

To me, the BMW is just as much a "sports car" as the Corvette Stingray. Sports cars come in all categories of performance. A Miata is just as much of a sports car as the Corvette Z06, or the Ford GT.

To me, a "sports coupe" is a car like a Cadillac CTS coupe and a BMW M series.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-26-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:12 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The corvette delivers a ton of magazine newsstand covers...for GM...

Real everyday Americans in general love corvettes....snobby wanna be euro ****** don't.

It's as simple as that.

Cadillac will offer the euro ****** an excellent Audi R8 competitor.

Corvette will remain the dreams and possibility of ownership to average everyday proud bold Americans

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-28-2017 at 11:17 PM.
corvette312 (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 10:11 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Ford GT

Originally Posted by Destrukt
I understand what you are saying and I feel the same way. I wonder if the Ford GT gets serviced at a special dealership or is it taken to ANY Ford dealership? I never thought about that before and must suck for the Ford GT owners
I know for a fact that some Ford dealers are authorize to do repair on the Ford GT cars.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:13 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I have great stamina...(or so I've been told).
That was for enduring nagging. A necessary survival skill for the married man.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-Engine C8 Corvette to boast near six-figure price, arrive in 2019

Old 06-07-2017, 01:56 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Amen, brother.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:02 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Destrukt
You must have not been following GM's story on why they went through drastic changes in making the C7. They wanted to appeal to MORE people specifically the YOUNGER generation. Good luck achieving that with your guess about the C8. By the way, the "Halo Viper" has ended production. I wonder why?
GM doesn't want to lose money on the Corvette just like Chrysler didn't want to lose on the Viper. They are certainly trying to sell the car but it's not realistic to think that GM expects to make a killing on it. It has been known for a LONG time that the Corvette is really a two pronged vehicle. Marketing (i.e. halo) and technology development/test platform. GM sold nearly 10 million vehicles last year. Do you really think the Corvette is raising eyebrows for profitability at 30k units a year??

GM wanted to kill Corvette off because while it was making money it wasn't killing it like the basic cars do where they sell hundreds of thousands annually. The bean counters thought the best use of GM's time was elsewhere to make products that sell in higher quantities. It's the marketing and new tech side that saved Corvette then and will continue to do so in the long run.

Viper is the same way... it failed because it lost its identity and instead of having Corvette's minimal problem of simply not making a whole lot of money... it started losing Chrysler money.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:35 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
It's the marketing and new tech side that saved Corvette then and will continue to do so in the long run.
Truth.

Viper is the same way... it failed because it lost its identity and instead of having Corvette's minimal problem of simply not making a whole lot of money... it started losing Chrysler money.
Also true.
GM has sold more Corvettes in one year than Chrysler did with the Viper in 20 years.
It's shame, but that's the way it turned out.

Quick Reply: Mid-Engine C8 Corvette to boast near six-figure price, arrive in 2019