Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Space ship design, are they going too far ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 03:49 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Gorgeous is gorgeous- who cares if it is American or European if the price is right. Bring on those spaceship designs as far as I am concerned.

loose the ford focus grill
Old 09-14-2017, 06:20 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Nope. Doesn't look like a wedge but they do have 'wedgish' tendencies. i.e. they are getting more so every year. Compare that merc to one 5 years ago and you'll see what I mean. Nor does it look like a sports car which is what I thought the topic was on. What's the coefficient of drag on a lambo ( the OP's choice or comparison) ? .23 or less ?

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Does this look like a "wedge"?

The 2018 Mercedes S class coupe has a Cd of .24, compared to the base C5 and the base C6 with a .29 Cd(that is lower than the base C7's Cd).

Or this Audi a6 with a .26 Cd.

But you just have to love the Mercedes b class with it's .26 Cd.

Oh, and the "wedge" shaped Ferrari 458, it had a .33 Cd.

Last edited by tcinla; 09-14-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:07 PM
guido1205us
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
New images of proposed designs of the latest C-8 designs make me wonder if we are getting so close to European look alikes the American Corvette is losing its identity. If I wanted a swoop Lamb or F-40 with the spaghetti styling I would be shopping the used market for one. They seem to stick to the same theme of wedge shape with additional scoops and sharp body lines. Maybe some of us old school see the Corvette as an endless 60s design, changing slightly, but clearly recognizable to all generations. I understand the need for wind tunnel plus dynamics but being folded twice to enter the control room is not that pleasing to buyers that can afford the values.
Rendering or not, if GM even came remotely close to this and called it a Malibu, I would trade up in a heartbeat.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:21 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

NO WAY do I want to drive a car that cost me less than $100k but looks like it cost $1m.
No way, no how...
Old 09-16-2017, 08:38 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
Nope. Doesn't look like a wedge but they do have 'wedgish' tendencies. i.e. they are getting more so every year. Compare that merc to one 5 years ago and you'll see what I mean. Nor does it look like a sports car which is what I thought the topic was on. What's the coefficient of drag on a lambo ( the OP's choice or comparison) ? .23 or less ?
My 1999 Mercedes(19 years old) 4 door sedan is definitely not "wedge" shaped yet it has a .32 Cd(that's less than the Cd of my C6 Z06 with it's "almost" wedge shape).

What do you think the Cd of a lambo is?

How about .33 Cd for a 2015 Huracan LP 610-4. That'a higher than my 19 year old 4 door "square" sedan's .32 Cd.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-16-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Each generation of the Corvette's styling was done to maintain the "Corvette" styling. GM wanted each generation to be easily identified as a Corvette. When the C6 was introduced, GM said in an interview that the C6 was designed on carry the Corvette styling so it was easily identified as a Corvette. For the C7, GM changed that, and deliberately made styling changes to move the C7 away from the traditional Corvette styling, thinking that that would improve sales in Europe and to a younger market.

Who knows if they still feel that way. Sales of the C7 overseas is dismal and sales of the C7 have been falling in the US and Canada.

I wonder how much of a shift in ages downward of those who bought new C7's?
I think its the performance car market in general. Just google "Is the sports car dead" or something similar and you will see it is going that way.

Sales are decreasing especially premium cars dont have the allure they once did and the under 35 year olds could care less.

I used to be a car fanatic, but nowadays I much prefer travel and experiences over stuff (cars included). Im not saying Ill never buy a premium sports car again, but it is not high on the list.

Rowing through thr gears or driving the GTR doesnt come close to spending time in Europe, Australia, Carribean and bringing the whole family along for the ride.

Maybe one day though....
Old 09-16-2017, 01:50 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasil
I think its the performance car market in general. Just google "Is the sports car dead" or something similar and you will see it is going that way.

Sales are decreasing especially premium cars dont have the allure they once did and the under 35 year olds could care less.

I used to be a car fanatic, but nowadays I much prefer travel and experiences over stuff (cars included). Im not saying Ill never buy a premium sports car again, but it is not high on the list.

Rowing through thr gears or driving the GTR doesnt come close to spending time in Europe, Australia, Carribean and bringing the whole family along for the ride.

Maybe one day though....
I'm under 35, live in a large city and love my cars. I've been all over Europe already. I drove everywhere in Europe while going to college in Budapest. Forget flying; car is the way to go. Sports cars make it nicer to travel. When I travel I rent a car, preferably a sports car if I can.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:13 PM
jyounger74
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Motor Trend

Name:  2019 Mid Engine corvette.png
Views: 340
Size:  1.74 MB
Old 09-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
I'm under 35, live in a large city and love my cars. I've been all over Europe already. I drove everywhere in Europe while going to college in Budapest. Forget flying; car is the way to go. Sports cars make it nicer to travel. When I travel I rent a car, preferably a sports car if I can.

Military Im guessing. Just google you are in the minority.....drivers license all time low, car ownership all time low, the desire is to be green, not impact the planet, not waste, save money, be frugal.

I hear ya.....I have great memories driving cross country in the vette. Im not single and given the option of fancy sports cars or spending $$$ on travelling with the family, kids, and family ......the latter is way better.

Obviously for you in your current lot cars still have a valid place. Our 4 cars now cost less than my 1 z06 did lol.

Last edited by Jasil; 09-16-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:27 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Military Im guessing. Just google you are in the minority.....drivers license all time low, car ownership all time low, the desire is to be green, not impact the planet, not waste, save money, be frugal.

I hear ya.....I have great memories driving cross country in the vette. Im not single and given the option of fancy sports cars or spending $$$ on travelling with the family, kids, and family ......the latter is way better.

imo
Not military just adventurous and really bad at saving money in my younger years. Also I don't have kids which makes things easy. I'll have to get an SUV or van when I have kids then no more corvette for road trips. It'll be like when my parents did vacations where they would drive cross country with us kids. They would put me and my siblings in the car at 4:00 am and take turns driving only stopping for gas. Some of those 20+ hour each way trips were rought but we got good family time.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Maybe one day though....
Even when my two kids were young, we always had a family sedan in addition to a Corvette(most of the time). 75 now.

Those days are long gone so now a Corvette(actually three of them) reside in my garage along side my 4 door sedan.

Travel, in the US, is something I love, so I drive my Z06 on long road trips, as do a lot of my "old" friends, in their Corvettes.

I agree that the youngsters are not as interested in driving as we old folks were at their age. But, at the same time, I was not interested in doing road trips to visit the national parks etc. when I was young as I am now. Who knows, maybe some day in the future, those youngsters might just come to realize that there is life beyond their smart phone, just as I found out there was life beyond the end of my pecker.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-16-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jyounger74
Except for the grille, I see way more C3/C6 in that rendering than the C7.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:29 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

http://www.autoviva.com/lamborghini_.../version/30376 - Wedgy Lambo with .23 Cd. Wedge is better. Looks like lambo messed up with the huracan.

My 1999 Mercedes(19 years old) 4 door sedan is definitely not "wedge" shaped yet it has a .32 Cd(that's less than the Cd of my C6 Z06 with it's "almost" wedge shape).

What do you think the Cd of a lambo is?

How about .33 Cd for a 2015 Huracan LP 610-4. That'a higher than my 19 year old 4 door "square" sedan's .32 Cd.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by guido1205us
Rendering or not, if GM even came remotely close to this and called it a Malibu, I would trade up in a heartbeat.
I'm with you on that. Bring it on!

Michael

Quick Reply: Space ship design, are they going too far ?