C8 and the future of the Corvette - Page 8 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 and the future of the Corvette

Old 01-12-2018, 10:23 PM
JerriVette
CF Senior Member

Simple fact tesla vehicles are impressive in their performance and range.

This is a game changer and the automobile industry is forever evolving.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 PM
theboom
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MikeG37 View Post
Our phone and EV batteries may have similarities in composition but the way power is stored and extracted make their lifespans completely different.

There's a future money making industry waiting for these batteries to start finishing their useful lives in large numbers. Even when a unit isn't suitable to power a road vehicle any longer it is still very capable of storing power and can be repurposed. They can also be refurbished, then resold.. and they contain plenty recyclable parts. Battery packs just being pulled out of cars and hauled off to the landfill isn't realistic at all.
Exactly. A couple things you could do with car batteries when the lose too much range to be suitable for the vehicle they came in or the vehicle they are in is unfit are: use them for power storage like tesla power wall/pack, replacement for damaged car batteries, aftermarket battery upgrades for lesser cars, and the obvious of recycling and refurbishing them.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:34 PM
yellowmnm
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ironman77 View Post
The C8 is a big mistake, they should just improve on the c7.
As far as young people goes in these cars all they care about is a prius
Have you been to a cars and coffee lately 23-35 year olds are driving these super cars and the louder the exhaust the better and the faster the better. It's what has been popular and growing very fast! The rumor is that the C8 may be revealed at the Detroit Auto show. GM is not going to wait on the C8, don't be surprised.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 AM
dcbingaman
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by theboom View Post
Exactly. A couple things you could do with car batteries when the lose too much range to be suitable for the vehicle they came in or the vehicle they are in is unfit are: use them for power storage like tesla power wall/pack, replacement for damaged car batteries, aftermarket battery upgrades for lesser cars, and the obvious of recycling and refurbishing them.
Good article on battery materials and production in Bloomberg today. Cobalt is essential for Li-Ion batteries and is already in short supply. Since the introduction of the Tesla, the price of the raw cobalt for a Tesla battery has gone from $600 a unit to over $1700 and is headed skyward. Even bigger problem is that 60% of the world's Cobalt is mined in the Congo, and is controlled by the Chinese. Bad ju-ju.

Calling Africa a "shithole" certainly didn't help the cause of the USA. If you can buy a high performance electric car in 2030, it will likely be made in China.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 AM
NY09C6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MikeG37
Our phone and EV batteries may have similarities in composition but the way power is stored and extracted make their lifespans completely different.
Not sure this is fully correct.

The batteries in these cars deteriorate quickly just like all electronic devices. The manufactures however are building extra capacity in and artificially setting the range when the battery is new. The pack is losing Range on day one but the extra capacity masks this for the first year or two. Then when there is no buffer left you begin to notice the reduced range.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 AM
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,211 Times in 915 Posts

Here we go again...more political B.S.

With all due respect, can't you guys just STFU regarding politics?
If ya want to talk about your political POV instead of cars, get the fnck off this forum.
Show some respect for this forum and this forum's members...sheesh.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 PM
therealviper
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ralphroadster View Post
we had eight years of liberals and obama,think snowflakes will grow up,
cars will become cool again, the liberals have made the auto evil
global warming bs, but also was easier to own a vette in 1960 to 1980
still they sell 40000 corvettes a year,
society has changed, but if the company gm>goes to make liberal cars appliance cars, think there domed, think have make good product, not the aztek or saturn,
You mean the 8 years General Motors was saved, and the years of highest corvette sales in recent history and the best corvette to date...

The interest of the young of course shrinks when your coming out of a near great depression , your just looking for a job and saddled now with huge College debt... a problem that did not exist in 1980. People's desires are rationalized by what they can actually do/afford.

This generation will be just later to the party, just like those hit with the Great Depression and WW2.

I got my first Corvette at age 17, a 67 Marlboro Maroon, 350, after graduation since I got a scholarship... A second in 1985...

And I have been getting SUVs, Hummers and Trucks since.. my Corvette time is coming again.. Just replaced the Truck with an Dodge Durango R/T, very impressed, great handling and good power with great Utility... But I want the Vette. The C7 maybe the more practical however when it comes to trips. Bought a 40 Ft sailboat instead of a Vette as planned, now sailing home and after the trip will be getting a Vette ( which cost more than my 40 ft sailboat did).

Regards,

Viper
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Originally Posted by therealviper View Post
And I have been getting SUVs, Hummers and Trucks since.. my Corvette time is coming again.. Just replaced the Truck with an Dodge Durango R/T, very impressed, great handling and good power with great Utility... But I want the Vette. The C7 maybe the more practical however when it comes to trips. Bought a 40 Ft sailboat instead of a Vette as planned, now sailing home and after the trip will be getting a Vette ( which cost more than my 40 ft sailboat did).

Regards,

Viper
Thereís an old saying that most boat owners are familiar. There are 2 days that boat owners are in total bliss. The first day is the day that they take ownership and the other is the day they get rid of it.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:28 PM
vetteman41960
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash View Post
Thereís an old saying that most boat owners are familiar. There are 2 days that boat owners are in total bliss. The first day is the day that they take ownership and the other is the day they get rid of it.
Amen to that!!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:35 PM
dcbingaman
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vetteman41960 View Post
Amen to that!!

There is an old saying that a boat is a hole in the water that absorbs money. Even so I keep looking at these plans for a cold-molded mahogany replica of a 19' Chris-Craft Barrelback runabout that would accommodate a marinized LS3 with a V-Drive and a cleaver prop.

Building it would keep me busy in my retirement, but after I finished it I don't know what I'd do with it. It's too pretty to actually go in a lake or river. Oh well.

I think I'll just save up for a C8.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:17 AM
Kruegmeister
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
I am keeping my corvettes but adding electric vehicles not because of my desire to stop purchasing gasoline but rather because the electric motors are superior in power production to ICE.

The assessment that electric cars are a fad is incorrect.

Electric motors are superior to internal combustion gasoline or diesel motors...

Range and recharge are limited to a degree but with 220 to 320 mile range possible today and 1/2 hour 80 percent recharge at a supercharger the game just changed.
I know about the Torque Superiority of Electric as that's my Field. I just meant 100% Electric is the Fad. Just like those stupid Smart Cars were a Fad until Gas came back down to a Reasonable rate. I don't think Cars will go 100% Electric. Hybrid, Sure.
Just watched a Commercial for Honda I think and the Car was Hybrid and could go 39 Miles on Pure Electric... Yeah and my Phone used to last 2 days... 1 Year Later it lasts half of that. Apply that to Cars and you see where I'm going, you'll be still paying for Your Car when the "Electric Round Trip" has diminished to "Crap I couldn't even make a McDonalds Run"

Batteries Diminish.
Disposal will become a Huge Carbon Footprinting Future Nightmare.
End Result will be Electric Cars = Fad
Plus No Engine Sound... Boo!!! Not for me. I'll take slower and Screaming Exhaust

Last edited by Kruegmeister; 01-14-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:26 AM
JerriVette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kruegmeister View Post
I know about the Torque Superiority of Electric as that's my Field. I just meant 100% Electric is the Fad. Just like those stupid Smart Cars were a Fad until Gas came back down to a Reasonable rate. I don't think Cars will go 100% Electric. Hybrid, Sure.
Just watched a Commercial for Honda I think and the Car was Hybrid and could go 39 Miles on Pure Electric... Yeah and my Phone used to last 2 days... 1 Year Later it lasts half of that. Apply that to Cars and you see where I'm going, you'll be still paying for Your Car when the "Electric Round Trip" has diminished to "Crap I couldn't even make a McDonalds Run"

Batteries Diminish.
Disposal will become a Huge Carbon Footprinting Future Nightmare.
End Result will be Electric Cars = Fad
Plus No Engine Sound... Boo!!! Not for me. I'll take slower and Screaming Exhaust
I was never a fan of battery cars until I drove the model S in insane mode ...it's pretty impressive and I'm going back quite a way to insane mode versus today's ludicrious which is even better.

We can certainly disagree....no offense intended ...

Battery durability on the model S with 300,000 miles in Norway or finland shows degradation at 4 percent meaning the battery's in his vehicle are at 96 percent capability...after 300k miles...!

The degradation is no where near even teslas expectation...

The key for teslas ability to minimize degradation has been proper active thermal management. GM and tesla have proper active thermal management systems designed and installed.

I believe your perspective on degradation has more to do with the nissans brands decision to NOT build in an active thermal management system and the leaf does suffer from battery degradation. (Unacceptably so you are correct with regard to those vehicles like the cheaper Nissan Leaf without active thermal management)

Supposedly next few years Nissan is bringing out a higher mileage version of the second generation leaf which will include an active thermal management system.

I don't mean the new leaf just released but rather Nissan is aware of its limited capability even of it's just shown Leaf without a proper active thermal management system and has one in a few years ready to go for the Nissan Leaf update...on the just released 2nd gen leaf..

Nissan is about 7 grand cheaper than the Chevy bolt or the tesla model 3 and most of that is because Nissan did not include an active thermal management system...

Hence the horrific battery degradation compared to the Chevy bolt or the tesla products which both have active thermal manage,ent systems..

Without that you are correct electric vehicles are throw away products whose batteries diminish.

The technology is moving really quickly...

I'm not a greenie, I don't believe in climate change etc...could care less about paying for gasoline...but the driving experience of battery technology ...along with the 200 to 300 mile range...not to mention the 1/2 hour charge time at a supercharger for an extra 80 percent charge...for an average cost of $13 at a tesla supercharger is pretty impressive..

Most expect charges to occur at homes overnight...for even less...

All that's awesome but the driving experience of no noise and instant torque...not to mention impressive packaging...there is no comparision..

ACTIVE thermal management of tesla and GM is the key to long battery life.

I'm keeping my corvette...too...and I prefer the noise and shifting etc that you do...but for family transport...

The qualities of ev s such as the tesla model 3 far exceed the competition with internal combustion engines...

GM will have 20 ev s by 2023..

Games over.....the revolution is coming...

JMO....and I respect your opinion. No insult intended.

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-14-2018 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:15 PM
RoketRdr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
You're forgetting oil prices have been falling for awhile now.
No they haven't...been on a steady rise for the past year.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:04 PM
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,211 Times in 915 Posts

You're right...it has gone up a little lately:

Old 01-16-2018, 10:55 AM
car junkie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
Here we go again...more political B.S.

With all due respect, can't you guys just STFU regarding politics?
If ya want to talk about your political POV instead of cars, get the fnck off this forum.
Show some respect for this forum and this forum's members...sheesh.
Excuse me, aren't you the one calling people "knuckle daggers" and other assorted insults that didn't agree with your climate change politics in another thread in the C8 forum. You were and now you have the nerve to call people out?

Get real!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Atari_Prime
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by car junkie View Post
Excuse me, aren't you the one calling people "knuckle daggers" and other assorted insults that didn't agree with your climate change politics in another thread in the C8 forum. You were and now you have the nerve to call people out?

Get real!
I look at it this way, my, or anyone else's poltics on the issue, don't matter. Electric cars are coming. And not just some of them, all of them. Almost every car manufacturer now has an EV option. Volvo has stated that in the very near future all of their cars will at least be hybrids. Very few people are clamoring for natural gas, hydrogen, etc. Electric cars are coming every model, in every line. The only question is how long will it take. There's no use debating liking it or hating it or prudence. The only thing stopping it from taking over the market right now is recharge time. Once you cut recharge time or battery swap down to about 10 minutes, its game over forever for gasoline engines. It doesn't matter whether I, you, or anyone loves that or hates it, it just is.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:10 AM
car junkie
CF Senior Member

It is not possible to separate politics from any talk about electric cars in their current state in the market place. Their existence as we know it relies on government handouts which are driven by politics and not science.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Geoffrey Card

Default C8 launch?

Apart from trucks, GM are getting very little coverage at the Detroit Show. Where is the mid engined C8 launch? Big mistake and the loss of a lot of press coverage. Suppose we will have to wait for Geneva in March.Gm could have had a double launch at both Detroit and Geneva.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 AM
car junkie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
I look at it this way, my, or anyone else's poltics on the issue, don't matter. Electric cars are coming. And not just some of them, all of them. Almost every car manufacturer now has an EV option. Volvo has stated that in the very near future all of their cars will at least be hybrids. Very few people are clamoring for natural gas, hydrogen, etc. Electric cars are coming every model, in every line. The only question is how long will it take. There's no use debating liking it or hating it or prudence. The only thing stopping it from taking over the market right now is recharge time. Once you cut recharge time or battery swap down to about 10 minutes, its game over forever for gasoline engines. It doesn't matter whether I, you, or anyone loves that or hates it, it just is.

Have you looked into the electric power generation that would be required to charge all these cars should that happen, I'm sure you have not. California for example can barely keep up with existing needs and is actually falling behind on their power generation, they would have millions of cars added to that.

There are so many issues here that are not being discussed truthfully by people that are supposed to be taking this stuff seriously and it's just not happening. What we get are brainwashed people who bought into the scare on an emotional level and will swallow anything in the name of combating so called man made climate change.

I don't know what's coming but taking this as a viable alternative at this point is beyond wishful thinking.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:17 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

EVís are just glorified golf carts. I play a lot of golf and many times ride in carts. Most golfers know that these EV powered carts do not maintain consistent performance over the life of the charge. This will not change with the introduction of EV autos to our roads. Also, these ehicle batteries will add a couple of thousand pounds to the weight of a car and about 11 tons to the weight of an 18 wheeler truck! All this additional vehicle weight will quickly degrade transportation infrastructure nation-wide. Infrastructure is very expenses and our countryís infrastructure is falling apart now. In addition, heavier vehicles require much greater distances to slow down and stop. So now you also have to consider the safety aspect of all these vehicles driving around at 80 MPH. EV proponents never talk about these trade offs. Who is going to pick up this added cost for roads and bridges?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C8 and the future of the Corvette

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: