Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest Spy Shots - Winter Testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 04:04 PM
JayLord
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Any chances we will see it in Detroit?
Old 01-06-2018, 04:04 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Lets face it...GM is doing a helluva good job in creating a sensation, a PR program, acknowledging that the leaked photos are creating excitement , controversy and anticipation to past, present and future Corvette owners. No money spent in advertising could get a bigger bang for the buck.
I myself, cant wait until I can get down to my local dealer and hand over my hard earned cash to be one of the new owners of this Vette history changing model ! Meanwhile, I'll continue to drive my '15 Z51 ....artic weather ceases here in Western New York!
Old 01-06-2018, 04:15 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Some of the pics I've seen on another site ( can't remember which site though) had some great pics of the car pulling away, you could definitely see the sloped glass in the back, it didn't appear to be a buttress type area. You could see through the windshield through the backlight too. Looked interesting.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by JayLord
Any chances we will see it in Detroit?
No. They're introducing the new Silverado there.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:57 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I think you're right. I was thinking Baudette MN, but that test area is typically flatter than what the pics show.

We used to do a decent amount of cold weather testing there for quick stuff, or Bemidji MN.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:32 PM
JayLord
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
No. They're introducing the new Silverado there.
I was told they would be shown both in Detroit.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Davide36
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Let me talk you off the ledge....Camo'd mules are NEVER what you think they will be. The rear end in particular has a LOT of styro under the black cover to change the shape, look at the McDonalds cars, which were not as nearly wedge shaped. Here's a good example of camo verses finished car:

LaFerrari before and after

s

I'm aware of that. However, I dont think the picture you posted helps your argument at all. Even this LaFerrari mule has a MUCH MUCH lower rear end than the c8.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by JayLord
I was told they would be shown both in Detroit.
If I were GM, I’d announce the car next year after Auto Show Season, around late May. Nobody has anything new to talk about or look at at this point, and that’s right at the start of New model year production. They’re winter testing now, but we haven’t seen any sort of performance testing or even extensive road testing, so there’s no way the car would be ready for production this year. Give the ZR1 some time to sell and make sure that the new cars are perfect. The Camaro should get a new generation a year after the Corvette does, and the C7 would begin to phase out(Stingray leaves production in 2020, Z06 in 2021, ZR1 and GS in 2022). I know we’ve been waiting a long time for the Mid-Engine Corvette to enter production, but it’s worth waiting a while longer if the car can be improved.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:35 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
If I were GM, I’d announce the car next year after Auto Show Season, around late May. Nobody has anything new to talk about or look at at this point, and that’s right at the start of New model year production. They’re winter testing now, but we haven’t seen any sort of performance testing or even extensive road testing, so there’s no way the car would be ready for production this year. Give the ZR1 some time to sell and make sure that the new cars are perfect. The Camaro should get a new generation a year after the Corvette does, and the C7 would begin to phase out(Stingray leaves production in 2020, Z06 in 2021, ZR1 and GS in 2022). I know we’ve been waiting a long time for the Mid-Engine Corvette to enter production, but it’s worth waiting a while longer if the car can be improved.
Not until May 2019? even longer wait.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:35 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Artist "rendition" goes by another name....WAG (wild *** guess).
Yep....but I would buy that WAG in a New York minute....
Old 01-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Not until May 2019? even longer wait.
I’m not an expert, just looking at the situation from many angles.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Davide36
I'm aware of that. However, I dont think the picture you posted helps your argument at all. Even this LaFerrari mule has a MUCH MUCH lower rear end than the c8.
Myself I sort of like the wide body C7s (maybe because I own one). However, a lot of other people like them too. It is one of the most popular cars I have ever owned.

As for the C8 mules. I like what I see that sort of resolves issues with the C5, C6 and C7 designs. When viewed from a 3/4 angle from the front the butt was too large for way it matched against the cockpit area. But with the C8 it looks like the butt is even higher and matches the flow off the cockpit area better.

If it truly is like that then I suspect they are still intent on building a car that is a sports car that can be used as a touring vehicle where you can throw in a few suitcases and head out for a couple week long trip or a some golf clubs and head out to the golf course with a buddy. Like the exotics they won't have much storage room in the front but by raising the rear they may still keep some of the cargo capacity benefits their Customers have desired over the years. We haven't had a small storage compartment since the C3s were built but I could squeeze a two suiter suitcase plus some other stuff in either my 69 Roadster or 71 Coupe Corvettes and head out for a two week reserve duty assignment. You couldn't do that with a 458 or LeFerrari or a Lambo. That is what sets the Corvette apart from the others. It goes like the hammers of hell, beats the exotics at their own game, lets somebody use it for a daily driver or touring vehicle and provides all of that at a fairly low cost. The only time they lost the magic formula was from 73 through 82 when they built under powered and over weight cars.

Bill
Old 01-06-2018, 10:34 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Davide36
Well, then you are going to just have to be disappointed with the mules until the car is unveiled....
Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Davide36
Intermediate

I hope they come up with a very modern design that incorporates the newest and most modern airflow management. Similar to what the McLaren 720s and the new Aston Martin DB11. The lines are very clean and non intrusive yet the cars are very aerodynamic and make lots of downforce without the use of a big wing or in the Corvette's case tacked in black plastic pieces.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (01-07-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 10:59 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

The DB11 is not capable of making anywhere near the downforce that the 720S is able to generate. Comparing 4,000 pound GT's to the carbon fiber 720S makes no sense. Come to think of it, thinking you can tell what a finished car will look like based on a camouflaged mule won't work either.
Telepierre (01-08-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:43 PM
Davide36
Intermediate

The DB11 is not capable of making anywhere near the downforce that the 720S is able to generate. Comparing 4,000 pound GT's to the carbon fiber 720S makes no sense. Come to think of it, thinking you can tell what a finished car will look like based on a camouflaged mule won't work either.
I think you misunderstood my point entirely. I am not comparing the 720s and DB11 to one another. Obviously the 720s makes much more downforce. My point is that both and many more "exotic" vehicles (Which is what the mid engine vette will be cross shopped with) use clever tunneling through the body work to manage airflow and it would be nice to the see that used on the ME rather than some aftermarket looking spoilers and splitters.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:45 PM
Davide36
Intermediate

And no I cant tell what a finished car will look like based on a camouflaged mule, however I definitely see a base shape. By your theory, this car might be front engined.

Get notified of new replies

To Latest Spy Shots - Winter Testing

Old 01-07-2018, 12:39 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^
Come on....

Since you are new, allow me to give you a primer on the C7 and the mid-engine car:
The C7 was SUPPOSED to be mid-engine. The Corvette engineering team had begun work on this in 2007. Then came the bankruptcy, and there were real questions about there being ANY new Corvette. Obviously, they got the money ($250 Million) to do an evolutionary car (the current C7) and we got a great car, but NOT a clean sheet car (those cost AT LEAST $1BILLION to do). FWIW, I also do not like all the tacked on aero aids of the GS/Z06/ZR1 but with the C7's cut down budget, trickery such as active aero, etc was NOT going to happen. Now, it appears that in January 2019 (I hope) we are going to see a TRULY CLEAN SHEET Corvette, probably the MOST clean sheet Corvette IN HISTORY. Based on the success of the C7, it is very safe to assume that this same team of engineers will make a truly world class mid-engine car. Will it have every trick that every ultra high end supercar has? Probably not. But I would bet my life that it will be a game changing car (with some tricks the others DON'T have). It is the Corvette that EVERY Chief Engineer (Zora, McClellan, Hill, Tom, and Tadge) has ALWAYS dreamed of designing and building. Tadge and company WILL get it right.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-07-2018 at 12:41 AM.
PurpleLion (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 04:48 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
People are complaining about the car and it's not shown yet. These are just to whet the appetite. CALM down didn't most people like the C7 after the camo was off?
lots of people still have no interest in the c7 because of the rear end, even though the rest of the car's design is super.

what we are seeing in these photos is not a mule. it's the real car with some pieces added on to try to hide the basic shape.

shaka's drawings are very close, in my opinion.

the aftermarket wheel companies will have lots of business correcting the ugly base wheels. they make a 65k starting price more possible; who would pay 80 k for a car with wheels as unattractive as those?

Last edited by senah; 01-07-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Looks ugly, the porpotions all look off. The front looks narrow and stubby while it looks like the car get wider in the back and the rear looks disproportionately large to the rest of the car. The cabin area looks small and I can't imagine where I will fit multiple set of golf clubs or luggage because I see no where they would fit a large trunk space.

With the C7 already looking like the Camaro if this looks even more so like that and looses functionality then I won't bother will just keep my C6. My next vette will be a Camaro.

Quick Reply: Latest Spy Shots - Winter Testing