Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if the new ME Car is not a Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
Bingo.
There will be two separate models, one with the engine in front of the driver and one with it behind. GM ain't dropping their 65 year old traditional GT layout that'$ worked amazingly well for them. Each model will benefit from the other.
That makes the most sense to me. Get all the early adopters to pay 2X for the ME what it costs GM to make them! Rake in those profits!!!

Been a lot of debate on this very notion, as there have also been good counter-arguments advanced for why GM won't make them simultaneously, or perhaps only a short time.

I'm rooting for a model line expansion AND racing them in two different IMSA classes like the Porsche guys...twice the fun!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Bingo.
There will be two separate models, one with the engine in front of the driver and one with it behind. GM ain't dropping their 65 year old traditional GT layout that'$ worked amazingly well for them. Each model will benefit from the other.
Wishfull thinking, but since Cadillac and Corvette are in IMSA and LM, I would like the Cadillac rebody of the C8 introduced alongside the C9, a front engined car. An updated Cien would be nice. The Caddy will be the expensive and the fastest ME of the 3 cars.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 01:12 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Wishfull thinking, but since Cadillac and Corvette are in IMSA and LM, I would like the Cadillac rebody of the C8 introduced alongside the C9, a front engined car. An updated Cien would be nice. The Caddy will be the expensive and the fastest ME of the 3 cars.
I'd be shocked if the mid engined car isn't branded as a Corvette *sub-model name here*. And equally as shocked if we see a mid engined Cadillac anytime in the near future. It's a damn shame the Cien hasn't ever made it past the concept/dream stage, it's a stunner.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:17 PM
LSxhotrod
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cien is sooo good looking!
Old 02-06-2018, 02:54 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxhotrod
Cien is sooo good looking!
How is "Cien" pronounced???
Old 02-06-2018, 02:55 PM
yz250fPilot
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
It was a throw away engine as was a 928 engine.
No the 928 engine was not, and is not, a throw away engine; how did you come to that totally false conclusion?
Old 02-06-2018, 03:12 PM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd be shocked if the mid engined car isn't branded as a Corvette *sub-model name here*. And equally as shocked if we see a mid engined Cadillac anytime in the near future. It's a damn shame the Cien hasn't ever made it past the concept/dream stage, it's a stunner.
when you look at the images of Cien it looks a lot like the mules. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed a few things and this what the ME Vette looks like.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:32 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

I always though a Caddy was a bit ostentatious and bought mostly by older rich people, can't see a market for a ME Caddy wannabee Corvette...they will loose their shirt trying to flog that.

then again my first car bought was a Corvair a penny picher for repairs, but was dam good in the snow.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:12 PM
conceptmachine
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't bother me one bit, in fact, I'd actually like it.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:29 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

The Cien was a show car in 2002.
There is no way the C8 is going to look anything like it.

That said, it (Cien) is still fresh looking. Too bad they never made it.
It's pronounced See In

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-06-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:30 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

I would not mind a Caddy like above, but out of my price range unless same as a base Vette.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by yz250fPilot
No the 928 engine was not, and is not, a throw away engine; how did you come to that totally false conclusion?
I think he's referring to the unsleeved aluminum blocks. GM had a hell of a time with wear in theirs in the Vega. Porsche 928s had an issue with premature thrust bearing wear or failure, but I can't see how that's related to the aluminum block.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Cadillac's big problem is they don't have any cars in the market people are buying cars in. CUVs. They have one offering, the XT5. Big SUVs they own but that market is almost as limited as Sports Cars. They have some really nice sedans but people aren't buying sedans of any make. They all want CUVs. Unlike Corvette Caddy can't survive being in a niche market with small volumes. Even though the Ford GT is a couple hundred thousand car it is still a Ford and not a Lincoln.
It pains me to see Cadillac doing poorly (apparently).
I've owned several in the last 15 years and loved 'em.
Visually stunning (when compared to some of the Euros), well designed, mechanically sound and fairly good fit & finish.
It's really unfortunate they don't sell better.
IMO, Barra needs to replace the Marketing Dept. with folks who can get the job done.
Originally Posted by Nadovedan

when you look at the images of Cien it looks a lot like the mules. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed a few things and this what the ME Vette looks like.
We can't be THAT lucky...
Originally Posted by jimmyb
The Cien was a show car in 2002.
There is no way the C8 is going to look anything like it.
Sad but true.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:17 AM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
It pains me to see Cadillac doing poorly (apparently).
I've owned several in the last 15 years and loved 'em.
Visually stunning (when compared to some of the Euros), well designed, mechanically sound and fairly good fit & finish.
It's really unfortunate they don't sell better.
IMO, Barra needs to replace the Marketing Dept. with folks who can get the job done.
We can't be THAT lucky...
Sad but true.
when you look at the rear of the Cien you see the same type of depression in the mules where the engine will be set. Moreover, the long base from the door to the rear have similiar length. By no means will it look the same but I see a lot of the Cien in the mules with some updates to the front and side with vents. Just my 2 cents. It would be cool if someone could do a render based on the Cien, to see if the dimensions match from the cad.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:56 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Bingo.
I agree. I believe the mid engine will be "a" Corvette, but not "the" Corvette. Back when they brought out the Z06, Juechter claimed in an interview that they had pushed the current form about as far as they can, of course the ZR1 has pushed that line a little further.

An ME car will certainly allow them to push the envelope much further, and for those that want an exotic but don't want to pay the 2 or 3 hundred grand they require, the Corvette is the car. It will also give a lot more room in the development of tech.

So, I can see them putting out an ME car, but I can't see them making the entire nameplate ME. The grand touring design with front engine is by far more practical for those that like to take trips in their car, or those that daily drive the car. It seems to me that if they went all ME, they would lose about 2/3's of their loyal following.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:12 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Nadovedan

when you look at the rear of the Cien you see the same type of depression in the mules where the engine will be set. Moreover, the long base from the door to the rear have similiar length. By no means will it look the same but I see a lot of the Cien in the mules with some updates to the front and side with vents. Just my 2 cents. It would be cool if someone could do a render based on the Cien, to see if the dimensions match from the cad.
For those who don't recall the rear end of the Cien:

As it turned out, the rear looked very similar to the Caddy XLR:

Old 02-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

If there's a Cadillac version, it'll be a battery electric.

Get notified of new replies

To What if the new ME Car is not a Corvette?

Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
If there's a Cadillac version, it'll be a battery electric.
Yes, yes. And it probably will not occur until at least the 2022 model year as Cadillac is more than busy bringing out 18 new models in the next three years — most of them CUV’s, SUV’s and electrics.

Last edited by elegant; 02-09-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Any later than that and it might be a fuel cell
Old 02-10-2018, 09:15 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Any later than that and it might be a fuel cell
How about a banana-peel-processing "Mr. Fusion" reactor and a "Flux Capacitor" drive ?

Quick Reply: What if the new ME Car is not a Corvette?