List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette - Page 8 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette

Old 11-28-2018, 04:12 PM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

And now I'm caught up. Keep up the good work gentleman.
The Following User Says Thank You to 84 4+3 For This Useful Post:
skank (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:56 PM
bebezote
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by blipit_ View Post
Unless you plan on doing track days and your Telsa needs a full battery charge after only 1-2 session.
thats true...though it depends on your track... I dont wanna power slide into a bunch of tires.. my track for my gnx, ugr Gallardo and this new corvette when it comes ..is 1320... and rolling on the street.. smoking gtr's (unless they are built lol)... the absolute last thing I wanna do is roll 150 into a tight chicane ... im in my 40's.... its street light stuff for us old guys...
Old 12-05-2018, 08:35 PM
skank
CF Senior Member

"69" just posted a Road & Track article on The Mid-Engine Corvette's Hatch Has a Unique Design to Aid Cooling.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-hatch-patent/

This is going on the List !

Last edited by skank; 12-05-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:01 AM
skank
CF Senior Member

UnlimitedPower divulged the new GT model and Jagamajajaran just posted this tidbit of info. GM's recently patented GT emblem.

http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum...Bemblem%252522
Old 12-06-2018, 07:16 AM
Rkreigh
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by skank View Post
In the latest Ask Tadge response on the ZR1 he mentions this comment.

The LT5 engine pushes almost a kilogram of super-heated gas through the exhaust pipes every second at full power. The temperature and pressure of the exhaust was actually enough to inflate sections of the exhaust pipe like a water balloon under extensive track testing. We had to upgrade the steel in the system and redesign sections to cope with those stresses. Shields had to be added in strategic locations to insulate things like electrical connectors and half-shaft boots from the extreme temperatures.

Usually that entails using Inconel as the go to metal which is a austenitic nickel-chromium-based superalloy. It's used in the Aerospace Industry and many high heat applications which would include mid engined exhaust manifolds. Ferrari is using this alloy for their new 488 Pista exhaust system. See at 1:13 of video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgm0jRi2HmU

From Wikipedia
Inconel alloys are oxidation-corrosion-resistant materials well suited for service in extreme environments subjected to pressure and heat. When heated, Inconel forms a thick, stable, passivating oxide layer protecting the surface from further attack. Inconel retains strength over a wide temperature range, attractive for high temperature applications where aluminum and steel would succumb to creep as a result of thermally induced crystal vacancies. Inconel’s high temperature strength is developed by solid solution strengthening or precipitation hardening, depending on the alloy.

It probably makes sense to use this superalloy for the mid engined exhaust manifold since it is also has twin turbochargers like the Pista! The 488GTB exhaust manifold also appear to be 3D printed or at least could be precision cast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNk_T82iuHM
love to see it but I don't think it's feasible from a cost perspective those manifolds cost a pretty penny I think they will look to go turbos which changes the manifolds likely back to cast iron to hold the EGTs

Based on the cad, they looked like swoopy tube manifods but I think that was the downstream plumbing and we'll see short stubby high flow manifolds with the turbos snugged up to the block. Possibly a waste gate that opens up on cold start to help cat light off temps for cold starts. And some nice twin scroll turbos that light off quick and maintain torq thorught the rev range.

Engine variants seem to be clearing up

a hot rod LT1 sneaking up over 500, a vettilac 4.2 TT, and the mauler 5.5 TT I'll have that.

I don't like the idea of a 4k mid engine car though. McLearen has done better than that and so can GM, hopefully at a 75 percent price point around 140 k similar to current ZR-1 That would be a raging bargain IMHO for the level of performance.

Last edited by Rkreigh; 12-06-2018 at 07:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rkreigh For This Useful Post:
skank (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:05 AM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rkreigh View Post
love to see it but I don't think it's feasible from a cost perspective those manifolds cost a pretty penny I think they will look to go turbos which changes the manifolds likely back to cast iron to hold the EGTs

Based on the cad, they looked like swoopy tube manifods but I think that was the downstream plumbing and we'll see short stubby high flow manifolds with the turbos snugged up to the block. Possibly a waste gate that opens up on cold start to help cat light off temps for cold starts. And some nice twin scroll turbos that light off quick and maintain torq thorught the rev range.

Engine variants seem to be clearing up

a hot rod LT1 sneaking up over 500, a vettilac 4.2 TT, and the mauler 5.5 TT I'll have that.

I don't like the idea of a 4k mid engine car though. McLearen has done better than that and so can GM, hopefully at a 75 percent price point around 140 k similar to current ZR-1 That would be a raging bargain IMHO for the level of performance.
Still not entirely sure the base car has an LT1 variant. The second ring video has some exhaust trickery going on and you can hear it. The mechanical engine noise and the exhaust note don't match quite right and it is entirely possible they're playing with the sound to hide what's under the hood. I could be wrong though but it sounds a little more exotic than just a hot LT1
The Following User Says Thank You to 84 4+3 For This Useful Post:
Shaka (12-06-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: