Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has put down a deposit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
I am a manager at a car dealership. We have not taken any deposits, and will not, on the new Supra. It does not exist yet. That makes NO sense to take a “deposit”, on a car not yet in production. That is snake oil!
Not quite the same situation. It's pretty certain by now that a ME Corvette will be released. Not so sure about the Supra.

Tesla seems to selling an awful lot of it.
According to its latest earnings report, Tesla holds $616 million in customer deposits. Most of that money comes from Model 3 reservation holders.
And a lot of that money placed before much was known about the model 3.

Last edited by Bikerjulio; 04-06-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:44 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 365 Posts

Well, snake oil or not, some of the bigger dealers are taking deposits to get in line for the first allocation. And customers are happy to do it. $1000 is not that much on a $xx,xxx car with no "market adjustment" fee. The alternative is to wait until all those cars with deposits are sold which could be months.

So, how does your dealership handle customers who want to be the first to buy the new Supra? Is there a "market" adjustment added and if the 1st in line says "no", they call the 2nd in line to see if they will pay the "market adjustment" fee? I've heard of that has happened.

The other important point is when it comes time to order, the buy can choose the options they want and the factory builds it that way. Is that the case for the Supra or does the factory build cars with various options & colors and put them on the boat?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
Well, snake oil or not, some of the bigger dealers are taking deposits to get in line for the first allocation. And customers are happy to do it. $1000 is not that much on a $xx,xxx car with no "market adjustment" fee. The alternative is to wait until all those cars with deposits are sold which could be months.

So, how does your dealership handle customers who want to be the first to buy the new Supra? Is there a "market" adjustment added and if the 1st in line says "no", they call the 2nd in line to see if they will pay the "market adjustment" fee? I've heard of that has happened.

The other important point is when it comes time to order, the buy can choose the options they want and the factory builds it that way. Is that the case for the Supra or does the factory build cars with various options & colors and put them on the boat?
If I were to put down a $1,000 deposit, from my checking account, I would lose $4 a year in interest. The $1,000 deposit is applied to the agreed upon price of the car when I take delivery of it. I am not paying an additional $1,000 for the car.

If the delivery is two years from when I place the deposit with my dealer, it will only cost me $8 to ensure that I'm one of those that will take delivery early on.

So if the agreed price of the car is $100,000 with my dealer, it will actually cost me $100,008. One $8 lunch that I can afford to miss so I can get my new car before my neighbor does, because he didn't want to spend the extra $8.

When the car is finally revealed next year, and I decide I don't want it, I get my $1,000 back from my dealer, and all I would lose is $4 in interest that I would have made if I had left the $1,000 in my checking account for that year.

Why are people arguing about spending $8 over a two year period for a car?

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-06-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:16 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have several times placed a deposit for a Corvette that “yet did not exist,” and each time I got exactly what I wanted, e.g. total honesty and integrity from a top forum dealer, and got my car the first week of manufacture.

Do I place my deposit with a shyster dealer? Of course not. I do my due diligence. Those who spend time on the top two Corvette forums, know whom to trust and who to ignore.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by elegant
I have several times placed a deposit for a Corvette that “yet did not exist,” and each time I got exactly what I wanted, e.g. total honesty and integrity from a top forum dealer, and got my car the first week of manufacture.

Do I place my deposit with a shyster dealer? Of course not. I do my due diligence. Those who spend time on the top two Corvette forums, know whom to trust and who to ignore.
I only put down a deposit once, but that was 4 months after the 1997 C5 went in production and it was with a signed order for the car to be special built for me.

But, if I were pretty sure that I want a mid engine car, and just have to have one of the first ones built, I would have no problem placing a $1,000 deposit to get my *** in line for one.

BUT, I'm a little more conservative(actually very butt shy) about any car that is 100% new from the ground up and I'm not fixing to buy one of the first cars off the assembly line. I'll wait until there are some field reports back on the car. I've been down that road before(buying unproven new technology) and got bitten in the butt bad.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:36 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Joe,

Lots of wisdom in your post. The 2015 Z06 had 750 new parts. If so, guessing we are looking around 2,000+ new parts for the ME.

As I shared with a top Corvette team member at the BASH, as we were alone in the NCM Conference room early, early its first morning in 2013, as we were standing next to the two new C7’s, here’s the conversation that occurred:

GM Corvette person: “Do you like it?”

My response: “I love it; saw it at the reveal and absolutely getting one.”

GM person: “Do you have a deposit down?”

My response: “No, waiting for year two — for I always buy a year two of a new generation. I assume the team has gotten 99+% of its parts right, but that still leaves some that needed ‘second year help’, so I will wait until year two. I have more faith in the Corvette team to further refine things over the next year, than I wish to make first-year, warranty visits to my dealership for those remaining few items.”

GM person: First looking around the room to again confirm he and I were the only ones in that room..., “you have a point there, and we know we still sell out of first year production. However, glad you will be getting a second year!”

However, if the first year comes with its “maybe’ 550 HP/627 TQ, my having thrived from open heart surgery and like many, having lost friends due to medical and other reasons, I know life is short, and thus might go “reason be damned,” and for the first time ever, get a first year of a new gen.

Last edited by elegant; 04-06-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:53 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Joe,

Lots of wisdom in your post. The 2015 Z06 had 750 new parts. If so, guessing we are looking around 2,000+ new parts for the ME.

As I shared with a top Corvette team member at the BASH, as we were alone in the NCM Conference room early, early its first morning in 2013, as we were standing next to the two new C7’s, here’s the conversation that occurred:

GM Corvette person: “Do you like it?”

My response: “I love it; saw it at the reveal and absolutely getting one.”

GM person: “Do you have a deposit down?”

My response: “No, waiting for year two — for I always buy a year two of a new generation. I assume the team has gotten 99+% of its parts right, but that still leaves some that needed ‘second year help’, so I will wait until year two. I have more faith in the Corvette team to further refine things over the next year, than I wish to make first-year, warranty visits to my dealership for those remaining few items.”

GM person: First looking around the room to again confirm he and I were the only ones in that room..., “you have a point there, and we know we still sell out of first year production. However, glad you will be getting a second year!”

However, if the first year comes with its “maybe’ 550 HP/627 TQ, my having thrived from open heart surgery and like many, having lost friends due to medical and other reasons, I know life is short, and thus might go “reason be damned,” and for the first time ever, get a first year of a new gen.
Good luck with your heart surgery. I had it back in 1995(my first heart attack was in 1979 and I was 36 years old), so I know what it's like living with a bad heart. Also a cancer survivor, and I'm still around, bitchin'.

I too have seen a lot of my old high school classmates pass away as well as way too many of my Corvette buddies.

Monday I had a colonoscopy and I told the doc, that that's the last time he will doing it to me. No way I'll be around 10 years from now.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:09 PM
elegant
Safety Car

My heart surgery was 7 years ago, luckily never had a heart attack, right afterward lost and kept off 50 extra pounds, now eat right (instead of my old “cheeseburger and fries diet”), and after a decades long hiatus after playing college ball, now go to the gym at least five days a week.

I am planning, along with several others friends to do a Museum delivery on our 100th birthday, getting our new C12’s then, driving them across the country in our mini Corvette Caravan. All are invited to join us.

Last edited by elegant; 04-06-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:44 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
I am a manager at a car dealership. We have not taken any deposits, and will not, on the new Supra.
First of all the pictures of the new supra suck a@@. Also the HP they are supposedly coming out is sad and may give a kia stinger a run for its money. I wouldn't worry about a rush of buyers flocking to you for that. I liked the last supra but was a 300zx TT guy. Best car I ever had.

I talked to the dealer I'm with now and they were the same way. "Its not out yet why worry". I made it plain and simple.

1) Make a list
2) take deposits
3) MAKE MONEY OFF THOSE DEPOSITS(CD or money market)
4) Honor it
5) end up with happy long term customer and make money for the dealership. Use it for a party or whatever.

Last edited by lostsoul; 04-07-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by HDBADDOG55
According to a reliable source, who I can not ID,
it cracks me up when someone uses that stupid line .........
Old 04-08-2018, 04:50 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05

This is a good point that needs to be emphasized - whether you choose to make a deposit now or wait until the car is officially announced - you want to be in charge of the build sheet, NOT the dealer. If you order the car the way YOU want it, you will save money and not have to settle for the "package" your dealer wants to sell which may not offer feature you want. My advice - 1) make a deposit on or before March 2019, 2) make your deposit contingent on MSRP on a car you ORDER, and 3) get the priced build sheet / options list, as soon as it is available (probably here before your dealer gets one), fill it out and give a copy to your dealer as soon as you can. That will insure you get a car sooner rather than later, at a price that you can afford, and with the features and options YOU want.

Remember, "market adjustments" **** people off, so dealers get around it by ordering in cars with a LOT of frivolous, high margin options. Don't fall for this BS. Case in point: 3LT vs. 2LT packages. 2LT gets you 95% of the goodness of 3LT at half the price. Caveat Emptor applies.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:24 PM
supermetroid
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Actually, I have owned Corvette's and have owned Ferrari's. The Ferrari company has both front engined cars(812) and mid-rear engined cars(488). This new mid engined Corvette will be a additional model that will supplement the C7 line(Stingray,GS,ZO6,ZR1) not replace it. The current C7 front engined Corvette will then be replaced by the C8 generation of front engined models. Bowling Green didn't double it's building size to one million square feet to stop building their cash cow front engined car. Both FE and ME will be built there and we will have most likely five models to choose from starting at the Stingray all the way up to the Mid engined Zora which GM has trademarked that name. I believe you can take that to the bank !!!
What's your thoughts on the price points IF they offer a FE and ME simultaneously? Are you thinking the ME will be the top dog as the most expensive and best performance only and all the other models(base, Z51, ZO6 and/or ZR1) will be FE? Just curious, as I don't think they would offer two different designs at a comparable price as they would be competing against themselves.

Last edited by supermetroid; 04-08-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:24 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Ferrari does offer its top dog as a front engine rear wheel drive although it does have a v12 engine I believe..

I don't see the front engine corvette continuing alongside the rear mid engine but what the hell do any of us know.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Here's my experience with the C7. I got lucky and stumbled into an order and discount in the C7 in 2013. Dave Gil Cheverolet in Columbus Ohio. Taked to the salesmanager in the spring, he had an allocation to get in and off we went. I asked how much deposit do you want and he said ZERO, we trust you! OK you dont know me but that works. I had just bought a 13GS from Coughlin and they wanted $2K to get on their C7 list.

So small dealers can treat you right.

I got the C7 in Oct 8 th about 3 weeks after the first car came off the line. I will say this, I am rather conservative but it was nothing short of incredible the reactions I got over the car. I could tell story after story. The wife actually got tired of us being stopped. I was leaving Columbus on the freeway and quickly discovered I had to be extra careful because so many others were driving unsafe just to get a picture of the car. When I showed up the dealer said the car was hidden out back because it attracted so many lookers and they did not want lookers at customers cars. Went for a test drive and I parked it out front. I was not even in the dealers storefront when folks pulled in to see it. Dealer had the saleman stand by it until I left.

When I got home wife and I went to the grocery; yea I do that. People were waiting for us when we came out.

Thats one thing you get with a brand new model sports car. I was not looking for it, did not expect it but actually really enjoyed it.

Lifes too short, enjoy every moment. The post above, waiting for 1st year bugs to be worked out, they are under warranty.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:54 AM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Last November. #1 in line at Connell Chevrolet.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:40 PM
marknagy13
Pro

Received 1,115 Likes on 329 Posts

Anyone know any good Vette dealers in the San Diego area? I wouldn't mind putting down $1k to get an early allocation.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

I'll probably have to wait but I'm not giving a dealer a deposit or paying sticker. I'll just wait. I guess they'll make the ME for a while so I believe there will be one available when I'm ready. I'm ready now but just not gonna go crazy to get this car

Get notified of new replies

To Who has put down a deposit?

Old 04-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

This guarantee is based on what?

As to the rationale that the 1,000 sold orders were not able be delivered that first year solely because of Aug/Sept, 2013 production hold/rework campaign, while that is factually correct, there is always at least a two week, typically a four week quality control (QC) hold for a new generation. Can you guarantee that there will not be another QC hold this next generation when there has been one the last three generations?

If 40,500, 2013 C7’s were made, yet over 1,000+ sold orders were unable to be made that model year, and if there is now only 33,000 annual-unit-capacity and some good sized number of those 2020’s will be C7 SR/GS/Z06/ZR1’s — leaving say only 20,000 ME being produced during the model year, how can you guarantee the future?

What if there are 26,000 ME orders with capacity to only make 20,000 first year ME’s — especially if there are 13,000+ sold 2020 C7 order’s?
You don't think that the ME will have 20,000 units pre sold do you???
Old 04-25-2018, 05:24 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
You don't think that the ME will have 20,000 units pre sold do you???
Between the first consensus that ME orders being able to be first placed and the end of the ME’s production year ending, it is highly like the number of ME’s delivered will exceed not just 20,000 units, but in addition, dealers will still have thousands upon thousands of disappointed ME customers whose orders were entered into the GM ordering system (status 1100 orders), but whose orders were unable to be manufactured that first production year because of lack of ME manufacturing capacity.

Those orders, if GM’s past practice is again followed, will be prioritized as first accepted, second-year ME orders (e.g., 2021 ME’s). [This is just as was done for the 1,100+, 2014 Stingray orders that GM was unable to produce that first year due to not enough production capacity.]
Old 04-27-2018, 06:41 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Here's my experience with the C7. I got lucky and stumbled into an order and discount in the C7 in 2013. Dave Gil Cheverolet in Columbus Ohio. Taked to the salesmanager in the spring, he had an allocation to get in and off we went. I asked how much deposit do you want and he said ZERO, we trust you! OK you dont know me but that works. I had just bought a 13GS from Coughlin and they wanted $2K to get on their C7 list.

So small dealers can treat you right.

I got the C7 in Oct 8 th about 3 weeks after the first car came off the line. I will say this, I am rather conservative but it was nothing short of incredible the reactions I got over the car. I could tell story after story. The wife actually got tired of us being stopped. I was leaving Columbus on the freeway and quickly discovered I had to be extra careful because so many others were driving unsafe just to get a picture of the car. When I showed up the dealer said the car was hidden out back because it attracted so many lookers and they did not want lookers at customers cars. Went for a test drive and I parked it out front. I was not even in the dealers storefront when folks pulled in to see it. Dealer had the saleman stand by it until I left.

When I got home wife and I went to the grocery; yea I do that. People were waiting for us when we came out.

Thats one thing you get with a brand new model sports car. I was not looking for it, did not expect it but actually really enjoyed it.

Lifes too short, enjoy every moment. The post above, waiting for 1st year bugs to be worked out, they are under warranty.
Similar experience, I got a call from my salesman at 7:30am Oct 3rd, 2013, telling me the transporter had arrived. My wife & I arrived as it came off the truck, still covered. There weren't any customers there at that hour, but the entire staff of the dealership was out front. My wife said it was embarrassing. And as you stated, the interest from the public is amazing, particularly from people who have no idea what kind of car it is.

My dealer didn't need a deposit, however I told him if I could have the 1st one he received I would put down a $5000 deposit. As stated by JoesC5, the loss of interest is minimal, plus I put it on my GM Card which gets me $250 earnings to use.

Quick Reply: Who has put down a deposit?