Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Models of the C8

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I have to agree with this. While the mid engine car will be "a" Corvette, it will not be "the" Corvette. The bulk of production and sales will centered on the traditional Corvette platform, while the mid engine will be a separate model geared more for the track enthusiast. The mid engine car will not be the C8. Evidenced by the thought that they will produce this car while still producing the C7. The C8 will be the new front engine car. The mid engine car will have a generational time line of it's own.

If they have a FE and a ME, they will not both be nameplated with corvette. Guaranteed.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:11 AM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Exactly.

"The C8 will start at 150K!"

How many different drugs are people smoking, snorting, ingesting and injecting at the same time to even conjure such a ridiculous notion?
My humble opinion is it may not start at $150,000 but it will sport a base price higher then the ZR1. There are way to many high end technological wonders on the ZERV releases to go on a $80,000 automobile.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

If they have a FE and a ME, they will not both be nameplated with corvette. Guaranteed.
That blows my theory out of the water. I was imagining that "Corvette" would become a brand name like "Ferrari"
Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 AM
ltomn
Pro

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
That blows my theory out of the water. I was imagining that "Corvette" would become a brand name like "Ferrari"
I'm not at all sure you should let go of your concept yet.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:22 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
My humble opinion is it may not start at $150,000 but it will sport a base price higher then the ZR1. There are way to many high end technological wonders on the ZERV releases to go on a $80,000 automobile.
And what are these technological wonders that you know for sure are going into the car?

If the base C8 was going to cost over the Zr1 to start, we better see a fully forged motor with 9500rpm redline and a carbon monocoque chassis.

Your opinion can be as humble as you want it to be, but that doesn't make it based in rationality.

The base C7 is about what, $55k? They aren't going to more than double it and turn it into a super low volume halo car that still has multiple trim levels and engine options clear up to $200K. It's just preposterous to think that. Chevy isn't morphing corvette into it's own brand like Ferrari. For hellsakes, these ideas get more absurd by the day. Nobody is going to fork over $200K for a GM product over a Ferrari or a Lambo, McLaren, Audi R8 etc

Last edited by C7pimp; 03-08-2018 at 11:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7pimp:
Larshelt (03-08-2018), NewYuriCity (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:32 AM
ltomn
Pro

And what are these technological wonders that you know for sure are going into the car?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Old 03-08-2018, 11:43 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

If the base C8 was going to cost over the Zr1 to start, we better see a fully forged motor with 9500rpm redline and a carbon monocoque chassis.

Your opinion can be as humble as you want it to be, but that doesn't make it based in rationality.

The base C7 is about what, $55k? They aren't going to more than double it and turn it into a super low volume halo car that still has multiple trim levels and engine options clear up to $200K. It's just preposterous to think that. Chevy isn't morphing corvette into it's own brand like Ferrari. For hellsakes, these ideas get more absurd by the day. Nobody is going to fork over $200K for a GM product over a Ferrari or a Lambo, McLaren, Audi R8 etc
Not really trying to be argumentative here, but there are people forking out over $400K for a Ford product. Which to me is beyond absurd, but anyway.

Putting out two different Corvettes isn't really making the Corvette it's own brand, just making another variation. With the mid engine car, I'm thinking LT5, twin turbo V8, something along those lines. I don't think they are going to do a "cheap" mid engine car, like some are alluding to, I think it's going to be a halo type car, all out. If they can price it in ZR1 territory, they can sell plenty to make it worth while.

Other than some spy shots, and some cad renders that may or may not be legit, there really hasn't been anything officially from GM even hinting about this car. Heck, it may never happen.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Exactly.

"The C8 will start at 150K!"

How many different drugs are people smoking, snorting, ingesting and injecting at the same time to even conjure such a ridiculous notion?
C7Pimp, first off thanks much for your contributions to this C8 forum. We are starting to glean and gather more info from all these sources. But, how many different drugs are people smoking, snorting, ingesting and injecting at the same time to even conjure such a ridiculous notion of a starting base price of 80k on this entirely new mid-engined platform developed from ground zero. People are delusional if they think this technological Tour'de Force ME is going to be directed at the lower end of the Corvette faithful. I personally have owned new Corvettes and new Ferrari's. I realize that the 80k base will never happen! The ZR1 starts at 120k-125k and this ME will clearly be above that. All one has to do is read the entire Zerv thread to see what systems are being developed for this range topping Corvette line. I suggest anybody that disagree's with my assessment to read the List thread that I put together which I assembled from reading the entire Zerv thread twice and gleaning all the pertinent comments that made logical sense. ZF DCT's, Twin turbocharged 4 valve V8 engines, active aero program, high tech space frame chassis, Magnetorheological shocks and engine mounts are not going to be standard on ANY manufacturers 80k car. Reading the List thread which has comments from many knowledgeable forum members here on the ME content, people will realize that GM is finally making a car to directly challenge Europe's finest.

Last edited by skank; 03-08-2018 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ltomn (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:59 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Not really trying to be argumentative here, but there are people forking out over $400K for a Ford product.
For which they receive a hand built race car, not that bad a deal if you have the money.

GM will be building a normal, high volume production car. Remember the Fiero economy car. There is no reason why the base C8 has to cost over 90K and it will probably cost much less. Remember, the immediate initial competition, i.e. Boxster and Cayman, list for less.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:11 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,166 Likes on 5,990 Posts

Two scenarios:

1. The mid-engine is a separate version of "Corvette", the C7 runs through 2021 and then a FE C8 arrives.

2. The entire line goes ME. Base C8 with NA V8, RWD, and a stick will start in the low $60s.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:33 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Two scenarios:

1. The mid-engine is a separate version of "Corvette", the C7 runs through 2021 and then a FE C8 arrives.

2. The entire line goes ME. Base C8 with NA V8, RWD, and a stick will start in the low $60s.
The California and the 488 are both FERRARI!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:40 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Two scenarios:

Scenario #1
Old 03-08-2018, 01:46 PM
ltomn
Pro

I copied this from the ZERV thread. Vetteman employs a very logical concept here. I believe he's got a good train of thought. The Joe he is speaking to is JoesC5.

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
Joe I agree. I think that the front engine GT Wil continue on past the life of the C7.

I believe that the front engine will be the entry level Corvette and that the Z06/ ZR1 will be replaced by a high performance rear mid engine design.

It does not make sense to have a front engine GT and a Rear mid engine with both at entry level pricing.

I could be wrong and GM will offer both at a 60k entry level but that makes no business sence.

The only reason GM is going to rear mid engine design is because the Front mid engine design is maxed out.

I don't under stand why folks get upset at the idea that Corvette could move up market and offer a higher quality product with the latest in engine and transmission and possibly hybrid with higher quality material inside and out but then think it can be offered for at the same price point as the current C7?

I would like the option of buying a world class super car made by GM with the latest technology and best materials and I am relistic enough to know I will have to pay a premium over the C7 to purchase such a car.

I could be dead wrong but if GM offer a entry prices front mid GT why are guys on here upset that some of us are hoping GM offers us a world class super car and are OK with the idea that we are going to pay more than what the old technology C7 ZR1 currently cost. If a loaded up 2019 ZR1 is 140k which it is.

Whyy is it unreasonable to think that the rear mid engine with latest transmission and engine combination if priced at 150k is still a barging in the super car world.

If the mid engine is being bench marked against the 911 Turbo that means GM is bench marking a 190k Porsche.

So would GM be unreasonable to ask us to pay 150k for a car that performs on part with a 190k Porsche or a 275k Lamborghini or a 350k Ferrari 488?

Again give us a world class car with the refinement of one of these super cars and performance on par and I gladly pay 150k and feel good about it.

Joe I know you know Corvette stats better than anyone on this forum.

What would you day the average selling price of a Corvette was prior to the discount listed in mid 2017. We all know by year 4 or 5 every Corvette of all generation can see big discount as the platform is aged.

I wonder for 2016 what the average retail price was for all Corvette sold? My guess is 80k on average.

For those that want GM to build front GT for 55k and rear mid super car for 60k I say good luck.

You get what you pay for. Why would GM keep the C7 around if the C8 is the same price point?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:49 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Two scenarios:

this is basically it, and as you can see no one really has a notion of which way it goes. This would make a good poll question to see what the forum believes, it’ll probably be near 50/50!!!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:58 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tbrenny33

this is basically it, and as you can see no one really has a notion of which way it goes. This would make a good poll question to see what the forum believes, it’ll probably be near 50/50!!!
Scenario #2 will never happen. Bowling Green assembly plant didn't increase in size to almost 1.4 million square feet of surface space to build just one line. There will be the existing line for the front engined car and another line for the mid engined cars. As has been speculated, there is a possibility of a mid engined variant of the Zora for Cadillac which has ironically already been indicated by the head of Cadillac. There's a reason why no tours are being allowed at the Corvette plant for the next year. They are getting both FE and ME lines up and running.

http://kyautoindustry.com/general-mo...ssembly-plant/
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/bo...urs-18-months/

Last edited by skank; 03-08-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:28 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Scenario #2 will never happen. Bowling Green assembly plant didn't double in size to almost a million square feet of surface space to build just one line. There will be the existing line for the front engined car and another line for the mid engined cars. As has been speculated, there is a possibility of a mid engined variant of the Zora for Cadillac which has ironically already been indicated by the head of Cadillac. There's a reason why no tours are being allowed at the Corvette plant for the next year. They are getting both FE and ME lines up and running.

that was my feeling as well, you don’t expand BG like they did for one line, but I couldn’t competely dismiss it if they were going to continue building C7 and possibly a Cadillac version.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:58 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Scenario #2 will never happen. Bowling Green assembly plant didn't increase in size to almost 1.4 million square feet of surface space to build just one line. There will be the existing line for the front engined car and another line for the mid engined cars. As has been speculated, there is a possibility of a mid engined variant of the Zora for Cadillac which has ironically already been indicated by the head of Cadillac. There's a reason why no tours are being allowed at the Corvette plant for the next year. They are getting both FE and ME lines up and running.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/bo...urs-18-months/
Everyone assumes the new paint shop is just a cover for expanding the production line, but these new B1:B2 Process paint shops are huge. Just read about BMW's new paint shop that opened in 2012 in South Carolina here:

https://www.pfonline.com/articles/wa...lina-bmw-plant

Whether the Corvette will move to a two platform model permanently (C7 FE & C8 ME, then C8 ME & C9 FE, etc.) or if the C7 and C8 will only overlap briefly is something I suspect nobody either knows or would be willing to share until GM decides to tell the world. However I can't imagine the ME will be a single model, high $$$$ special when GM knows they have the capability to take a lot of Porsche and other exotics' market share with a reasonably priced mid-engine supercar, with "stages" of price and performance similar to what we have now.

Get notified of new replies

To Models of the C8

Old 03-08-2018, 03:40 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
Everyone assumes the new paint shop is just a cover for expanding the production line, but these new B1:B2 Process paint shops are huge. Just read about BMW's new paint shop that opened in 2012 in South Carolina here:

https://www.pfonline.com/articles/wa...lina-bmw-plant

Whether the Corvette will move to a two platform model permanently (C7 FE & C8 ME, then C8 ME & C9 FE, etc.) or if the C7 and C8 will only overlap briefly is something I suspect nobody either knows or would be willing to share until GM decides to tell the world. However I can't imagine the ME will be a single model, high $$$$ special when GM knows they have the capability to take a lot of Porsche and other exotics' market share with a reasonably priced mid-engine supercar, with "stages" of price and performance similar to what we have now.
Acura built a 200,000 square foot plant for the production of the NSX and it's paint shop is # 1. Other than not assembling the engine in that facility, the remainder of the car is built including the paint in 200,000 square feet.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-08-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:12 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Acura built a 200,000 square foot plant for the production of the NSX and it's paint shop is # 1. Other than not assembling the engine in that facility, the remainder of the car is built including the paint in 200,000 square feet.
Are you sure? Because Honda uses the same painting process with limestone based dry-scrubbing as the new Bowling Green shop, and that alone cost $210M at their Marysville, OH plant (where Honda added on the $70M NSX factory):

Honda turns to dry scrubbing

Honda of America Manufacturing Inc. will invest $210 million throughout the next two years to overhaul the paint shop at its Marysville, Ohio, Auto Plant (MAP). That upgrade will include the largest dry-scrub overspray removal system in North America. Honda estimates that the new system will:
  • Eliminate more than 255 tons of sludge per year
  • Reduce CO2 emissions by 18%, 12,000 metric tons
  • Cut water use by 2 million gallons per year
“Honda is committed to delivering products that have outstanding quality and low environmental impact,” says Tom Shoupe, executive vice president and COO of Honda of America Mfg. “Our Ohio operations are once again raising the bar for quality and environmentally responsible manufacturing operations.”

Other Honda paint shop improvements include:

Short process and new primer coat – A 4-coat, 2-bake process replaces a 4-coat, 3-bake method, eliminating one primer-coat curing oven. The primer coat and waterborne base coat will reduce volatile organic compounds (VOC) emissions nearly 66%.

Two-step curing – A more-automated, two-step temperature curing process supports paint finish appearance improvements.

Increased capacity – Replacing a paint line built in 1985, the facility will be able to coat 229,000 vehicles per year.
Source: http://www.todaysmotorvehicles.com/a...scrub-options/

Oh, and the entire Marysville plant is 3.6 million square feet
Old 03-08-2018, 05:10 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
Remember, the immediate initial competition, i.e. Boxster and Cayman, list for less.
Why would they bother with a ME Corvette if the Boxster and Cayman is the competition - the current car is Z51 trim outperforms those; the current GS & Z06 compete effectively with the 911 series.

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
However I can't imagine the ME will be a single model, high $$$$ special when GM knows they have the capability to take a lot of Porsche and other exotics' market share with a reasonably priced mid-engine supercar, with "stages" of price and performance similar to what we have now.
If you add up the sales for all the competition in the US: 911 (8,500 units), 488 (1,200), NSX (600), 570 & 750 (1050), and Lamborghini (1100), Ford GT (250), R8 (750) and Nissan GT-R (550) you are at 14,000 cars total - if they take 50% of that market, which is beyond doubtful, that is only 7,000 units. If GM's plan is to abandon the current 30,000+ people who buy C7's every year for that 7,000 (or much less) in conquest sales, it is a foolish endeavor.

Quick Reply: Models of the C8