Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:53 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
And what does Doug have anything to do with pricing on the production car?
The racing team is already working on the race version of this car. He saw this car long ago and clearly has given input to the production side of Corvette. He is fully aware of what this car is!!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
The racing team is already working on the race version of this car. He saw this car long ago and clearly has given input to the production side of Corvette. He is fully aware of what this car is!!
Still doesn't have anything to do with the pricing.

Can we keep this thread on topic? Now if he could comment on how some of these renderings are or, even better, comment on what the C8.R will look like that'd be great
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (08-14-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:05 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sunsalem
No matter how many times this has been pointed out, some folks just don't want to hear it.
Conversely, No matter how many times this has been pointed out, some folks don't want to hear that this new state of the art mid engined Super Car Corvette will most likely be out of their financial reach. That my friend is the real embarrassing truth about many on this forum. The fact that most Corvette owners will be out of that upper end market that the ME is moving into. Many here want to believe they can afford it but the sad truth will hit them when they find out the reality.
tooold2race (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:09 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
Still doesn't have anything to do with the pricing.

Can we keep this thread on topic? Now if he could comment on how some of these renderings are or, even better, comment on what the C8.R will look like that'd be great
What are you inferring? He absolutely cannot discuss this car out into the open forum. End of discussion. That would never happen !
Old 04-05-2018, 02:12 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Absolutely will double the price. The C6 ZR1 had window stickers over 120K at the end of the C6 generation. We now have C7 ZR1's at 150K. You are delusional if you think the Mid engine will be half the cost of the ZR1. Read this to see what many on this forum gleaned from Zerv's Leak Thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
The "entry level" mid-engine may very well be half the cost of the ZR1. A ~$70k entry level price is placed just low enough that the "regular Corvette buyer" will still be able to afford one. The high performance, highly optioned version will surely surpass the $140k ZR1, but the base model will not.

The majority of Chevy's sales with the Corvette have always been the base or moderately options cars. If the mid-engine is released (and is the only Corvette option) and the entry to purchase is over $100k, then Chevy will lose the majority of it's Corvette buyers and the high volume sales that have always defined the Corvette.

Speaking for myself (C3 and previous C6 owner with a 2019 GS on the way), if the base mid-engine was six figures, I would be looking around at other options.

Last edited by oregonsharkman; 04-05-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:20 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
The "entry level" mid-engine may very well be half the cost of the ZR1. A ~$70k entry level price is placed just low enough that the "regular Corvette buyer" will still be able to afford one. The high performance, highly optioned version will surely surpass the $140k ZR1, but the base model will not.

The majority of Chevy's sales with the Corvette have always been the base or moderately options cars. If the mid-engine is released (and is the only Corvette option) and the entry to purchase is over $100k, then Chevy will lose the majority of it's Corvette buyers and the high volume sales that have always defined the Corvette.

Speaking for myself (C3 and previous C6 owner with a 2019 GS on the way), if the base mid-engine was six figures, I would be looking around at other options.
They have the C7 FE which will morph into the C8 FE for the price point you are talking about. This new ME is being developed for a whole new demographic of buyers which they never have had. This car is a brand new ball game !
The following 4 users liked this post by skank:
JoesC5 (04-05-2018), NemesisC5 (04-07-2018), tooold2race (04-05-2018), zhopper05 (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:29 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Conversely, No matter how many times this has been pointed out, some folks don't want to hear that this new state of the art mid engined Super Car Corvette will most likely be out of their financial reach. That my friend is the real embarrassing truth about many on this forum. The fact that most Corvette owners will be out of that upper end market that the ME is moving into. Many here want to believe they can afford it but the sad truth will hit them when they find out the reality.
That would be a terrible business decision for GM. Let's do the math.

In 2014 alone, GM sold 34,839 Corvettes. Using an average price of $55,000 (very conservative estimate) GM generated over 1.9 Billion (with a B) in gross sales...That was just on the 2014 model.

If GM raises the entry level price to $120,000 the sales numbers will plummet to a fraction of the 2014 sales. But let's say absolutely best case - it outsells all models of Porsche 911 around the world, so about 8,000 (which it would not). 8,000 times 120,000 is $960 Million.

So in the best case scenario above, GM comes up $1 Billion less in first year sales compared to the C7....Not gonna happen.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:31 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Woo hoooo!!!! Never doubted it... the lingering question for me is will the entire line-up me mid-engine or will there be a "supercar" Corvette Zora and a regular FE C8.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:39 PM
bro1999
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy

I believe I saw enough of the hood to confirm no hood vent. Hopefully 1 of the other dealers on this forum are attending and can confirm. The pictures were up for maybe 20 seconds. I focused primariy on the more clear picture of the front corner. Another interesting announcement there is a performance electric car coming out, looked like a cross-over. Alan Batey was very clear in saying it is a performance model. If it is a cross-over, this will be interesting.
Could you expand more on the electric performance car you saw? Did it have an outline similar to the car in this photo?

Or are you sure it was more of a crossover/CUV look?
Old 04-05-2018, 02:40 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
That would be a terrible business decision for GM. Let's do the math.

In 2014 alone, GM sold 34,839 Corvettes. Using an average price of $55,000 (very conservative estimate) GM generated over 1.9 Billion (with a B) in gross sales...That was just on the 2014 model.

If GM raises the entry level price to $120,000 the sales numbers will plummet to a fraction of the 2014 sales. But let's say absolutely best case - it outsells all models of Porsche 911 around the world, so about 8,000 (which it would not). 8,000 times 120,000 is $960 Million.

So in the best case scenario above, GM comes up $1 Billion less in first year sales compared to the C7....Not gonna happen.
Where are you getting the idea that there is only the ME as the only model going forward? Corvette clearly is continuing the C7 FE until 2021 and will morph into the C8 FE. The new ME will be a fifth model in Corvette's lineup. Team Corvette would be committing Automotive suicide by dropping their traditional four model FE(Stingray, Grand Sport, ZO6, ZR1) line. They did not double the Bowling Green Plant to one million square feet to build just one model.

Last edited by skank; 04-05-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:45 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Woo hoooo!!!! Never doubted it... the lingering question for me is will the entire line-up me mid-engine or will there be a "supercar" Corvette Zora and a regular FE C8.
The new Zora and the four model FE C8
Old 04-05-2018, 02:46 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bro1999
Could you expand more on the electric performance car you saw? Did it have an outline similar to the car in this photo?

Or are you sure it was more of a crossover/CUV look?
I'm really curious about this too. If Nate said it looked like a crossover but GM insisted it's a performance car, I wonder if they're targeting something along the lines of the Jaguar I-Pace. Jaguar had it at the auto show and I was very surprised at how low the roof was.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:03 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Where are you getting the idea that there is only the ME as the only model going forward? Corvette clearly is continuing the C7 FE until 2021 and will morph into the C8 FE. The new ME will be a fifth model in Corvette's lineup. Team Corvette would be committing Automotive suicide by dropping their traditional four model FE(Stingray, Grand Sport, ZO6, ZR1) line. They did not double the Bowling Green Plant to one million square feet to build just one model.
Some good points. I actually would prefer to see the Mid Engine as an "additional model" to the Corvette line up, but there are some compelling discussions and bits of facts that point to a generational change to a new format.

Remember, prior to the economic crisis, the C7 was intended to be a mid engine platform, and as far as I know, there was no plan at that point to have a parallel path with a front engine model.

Also - some of the mid engine test vehicles (even recently) have been sporting steel brakes and relatively narrow tires, so that points to the likelihood that there will be an "entry level" model of some sort.

Again - Just my 2 cents.
NewYuriCity (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 03:35 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

They have the C7 FE which will morph into the C8 FE for the price point you are talking about. This new ME is being developed for a whole new demographic of buyers which they never have had. This car is a brand new ball game !
What do you base this on?
Old 04-05-2018, 03:54 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

If you subscribe to all of the indications that point to the continuation of the FE Corvette as we know it today AND accept what looks pretty factual, that there is a new ME just around the corner, how could you possibly think the newest high tech ME model would be prices the same as the current entry level Corvette. Who would buy the old FE model for the same money???

There will surely be a base FE Corvette and a high buck ME supercar. Perhaps over time the technology and the cost of the new ME will drift down the line, but not when it is first introduced.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:08 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
What do you base this on?
I am dumbfounded at the apparent lack of exposure to the various threads that have been on this forum! How can a reasonably intelligent man not have seen the basis for this statement dozens of times by now? The basic list of components that the Mid Engine Corvette will have on it place it squarely in the realm of "expensive." The only other cars that have the same accoutrements are priced 2 and 3 times as high.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:13 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
I am dumbfounded at the apparent lack of exposure to the various threads that have been on this forum! How can a reasonably intelligent man not have seen the basis for this statement dozens of times by now? The basic list of components that the Mid Engine Corvette will have on it place it squarely in the realm of "expensive." The only other cars that have the same accoutrements are priced 2 and 3 times as high.
Did you skip school the day teacher thought about "economies of scale"?

Get notified of new replies

To Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!

Old 04-05-2018, 04:21 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

This car is not about pure economies of scale when the impression has been decidedly given that the plan is to produce approximately 3000 vehicles per year with this configuration. They will still sell most of them in the US (as I see it) but will definitely capture some of the foreign crowd when the difference in purchase price is brought into the picture. Do not ignore the currency and exchange rate either. If you're a UK person your ₤1 = $1.40 today. Makes buying a fully optioned Corvette ME a lot more reasonable then a McLaren...and with similar configuration!
Old 04-05-2018, 04:34 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

To counter that, we have CAD drawings showing a NA pushrod motor along with a second CAD drawing of the TT engine. We also have engine order data showing a 6.2, 4.2TT, and 5.5TT engines for the Y2 chassis. The mules also seem to have a base car brake setup on them. This seems to support the notion we have at least 3 different levels of ME car on the way. If this was to be a high dollar supercar I would not expect this.

Last edited by NY09C6; 04-05-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:35 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

This car is not about pure economies of scale when the impression has been decidedly given that the plan is to produce approximately 3000 vehicles per year with this configuration. They will still sell most of them in the US (as I see it) but will definitely capture some of the foreign crowd when the difference in purchase price is brought into the picture. Do not ignore the currency and exchange rate either. If you're a UK person your ₤1 = $1.40 today. Makes buying a fully optioned Corvette ME a lot more reasonable then a McLaren...and with similar configuration!
Where do you get the 3k number from? The engine order data was far higher than that.

Quick Reply: Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!