Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Your premises are mis-informed magazine fairy tales.

Are you a reliability engineer? (I am). Are you basing YOUR OPINION on leather thickness? Can you articulate your opinion based on reliability parameters? Do you know what reliability is? Hint: nothing to do with leather... Ever wonder why Porsche always comes short two years and 50K miles on warranties compared to Corvette. Do you know what probability of failure is and how it drives warranties?

Another fairy tale. Your data? Do you know how to read a 10K SEC filing? Have you looked at the P/L for Corvette? vs Porsche? Corvette has expanded plant, new paint facility, getting ready for all new and advanced platform most likely in conjunction with previous and here you are talking Porsche investments in 1996 caymans and 1963+ 911s?
Have you looked at the billions Porsche had to fork out this year alone to settle their emission cheating? Can you please take a read and come back to reality, please?!

More magazine intoxication...and demographics....have you actually looked at C7 sales versus caymans and 911s??? Can the two germans put together come remotely close to 1/3 of C7 sales? The real demographic I count is the one that buys or are you again confusing with magazine subscriptions?
Sales at hand, Corvette has rightfully competed and market defeated Porsche since 1953 because it is a superior platform. It is more reliable. It is more flexible. It is more powerful. It is more comfortable. It is more economical. Does not need race tires to post marketing records and it does not cheat emissions.

Sorry if I busted your magazine collection knowledge base with data points...
Got it.....your a fanboy! Point proven my friend! Now that you have that off your chest maybe we can get back to the issue of quality. Hell yes they sell more Corvettes.....they don’t cost anymore than a Silverado pickup. Have you forgotten the GM bailout? Get off the kool aid and sober up.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 10-07-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:32 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

Got it.....your a fanboy! Point proven my friend! Now that you have that off your chest maybe we can get back to the issue of quality. Hell yes they sell more Corvettes.....they don’t cost anymore than a Silverado pickup. Have you forgotten the GM bailout? Get off the kool aid and sober up.

So...this is it!? two lines with half the story again?

The hard realization that unlike magazines, CF answers back when necessary....

Old 10-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

So...this is it!? two lines with half the story again?

The hard realization that unlike magazines, CF answers back when necessary....
I see your still in a C6. No wonder your upset!
Old 10-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I see your still in a C6. No wonder your upset!
So...you consider this a "quality" reply? Was it aimed at belittling? and if so could it be surmised who is really upset?

Easy questions...

Last edited by Telepierre; 10-07-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:45 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

You seem to need some sobering of your haterade as well!
Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

So...you consider this a "quality" reply? Was it aimed at belittling? and if so could it be surmised who is really upset?

Easy questions...
Not at all. Just pointing out you are neither an owner of a C7 or 911 yet you feel you have the expertise to debate those that have actually owned both. I am sorry to inform you, but sitting in cars at your local dealership are far from living with them over a period of time. Please don’t debate what you know nothing about. Now get back to your magazines and see what owners of both have to say. I look forward to your homework report.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
You seem to need some sobering of your haterade as well!
Just enjoying a friendly debate! Nothing to be upset about....we are just talking cars. Now if you want to get someone upset, mess with their money or kids👍
Old 10-07-2018, 09:03 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Not at all. Just pointing out you are neither an owner of a C7 or 911 yet you feel you have the expertise to debate those that have actually owned both. I am sorry to inform you, but sitting in cars at your local dealership are far from living with them over a period of time. Please don’t debate what you know nothing about. Now get back to your magazines and see what owners of both have to say. I look forward to your homework report.
I just looked up the forum policy and you are wrong again which speaks folds about your qualitative standards..

Truth is you own the car.. and you want to own the story too and it's not working...

Old 10-08-2018, 10:57 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
It's too bad that a lot of people in here are drunk on the Corvette Kool Aid. Yes the current Corvette is a great car at a great price but if you think it can compare to cars costing twice, three, four times as much, you're **** drunk.

Hint, you can admit that there are better cars out there, just as many as there are worse cars out there.

Would I rather have a GT2 RS over a ZR1, yes, over a new ME Corvette, yes. Would I take a Cayman over a Corvette Z51, no.
The real question is would you rather have, AND PAY FOR, <insert car>?

Because, in the real world, everyone has financial constraints and every dollar you spend on a frivolous spots car is a dollar that could have gone to something else.

The following 2 users liked this post by pdiddy972:
ArmchairArchitect (10-08-2018), vndkshn (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:05 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

Because, in the real world, everyone has financial constraints and every dollar you spend on a frivolous spots car is a dollar that could have gone to something else.

In a way, this entire thread is remarkably stupid and I feel a bit stupid for engaging in it

The truth is, each marque has (and for decades has been faithful to) its own very successful value proposition. Most of us on this site go for what the Vette brings to the table. Arguments about why they are "more right" than those who buy the Porsche value proposition are silly. As are the counter-arguments. We have our own personal criteria, and, unless we are remarkably stupid, we spend our money on the product that best meets those criteria. As it has always been...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 10-08-2018 at 11:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rapid Fred:
ArmchairArchitect (10-08-2018), Dr. ice (10-08-2018), vndkshn (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Myliobot
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not at all interested in Porsche for three reasons:
1. It is not made in the USA
2. It is not made in the USA
3. It is not made in the USA
I bought my Z06 last year, built the engine and watched the folks at Bowling Green Assembly build it from beginning to end. When Porsche sells that option I will (maybe) think about considering buying one.

[/QUOTE]
Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Myliobot
I bought my Z06 last year, built the engine and watched the folks at Bowling Green Assembly build it from beginning to end. When Porsche sells that option I will (maybe) think about considering buying one.
[/QUOTE]

Wow...you must feel really out of place with that MAGA hat in SoCal.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 01:23 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

They kind of do though not to that level. It's called the "European Delivery" program. There are WAY better reasons to own a Corvette over a Porsche, btw. From a product merit standpoint, where the car is made is a non-factor.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 10-08-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by nexxis

​​
​​Why does everyone keep comparing just price or 1/4-mile straight line time? Z51 and Cayman S are similar pricing and both offer nice performance.
I just think if the C8 gets a lot more expensive than the C7, you get much nicer quality and higher resale value in a Porsche. Just compare the interiors:

I sort of prefer the understated elegance of the Porsche Steering wheel, but besides that, the C7 interior appears superior in most ways.

I also happen to greatly value the removable roof that the C7 includes as a no cost option. That sucker is really valuable to me.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 06:20 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

to me, the ZR1 might as well be a GT2 RS, 200k CAD is just as far off as 500k CAD as far as cars go for me right now.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:28 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

here we go.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06

This was my original post:

I found a new (5 miles) 2018 Z06 for 70K on autotrader at that time. Just did a search and it musthave sold. Also you seem fixated on 2019. So, you’d have to pay 75K for that. And it will munch on a Cayman S. I posted the cheapest Cayman S’s beliw (no 2019s make the cut).

Gosh,a 4 cylinder Cayman or a Supercharged V8 with a removable roof for about the same money. THAT'S why we don't just 'buy a Porsche'!
The following 2 users liked this post by Suns_PSD:
ArmchairArchitect (10-09-2018), Telepierre (10-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 10-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I sort of prefer the understated elegance of the Porsche Steering wheel, but besides that, the C7 interior appears superior in most ways.
Wow...not sure how you can reach the conclusion that the C7 interior is superior. You are entitled to your opinion, though if you consult any car magazine, review program, or maybe even other persons in general you will find they disagree.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:18 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

^^^^ Car magazines know sh*t about style! Have you seen how some of them dress? LOL.....Seriously though, they are biased and you should take everything they say with a grain of salt. And yes a 3LT C7 interior is a very nice place. The leather dash adds a level of richness to it! Does it need improvement, absolutely! But that doesn't mean it's a bad interior. And also photography can be misleading as well. The same interior can look great in one pic and not so great in another. And again, a $60 or $70K Porsche interior has about the same quality as a $30K VW! Go sit in both and decide for yourself.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:21 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 70 Posts

Out of any of the high end sports cars out there on the market, Porsche is the last car I would ever want to own. I'm sure there fast, I'm sure they handle incredibly well, sure they may have more luxury to them... but they are the most boring looking sports car out there. The C7 has been compared to Ferrari as far as looks and styling goes. My C7 GS can hold its own. And it's going to be even faster in the months to come.

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?