Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Interiors it's not just materials. Interiors is also cabin flow design and interpretation. In the corvette I see passenger arches, stingray aggressive cues, bi tonal curvy shapes ala stingray. I see sport.

In the other I see straight lines and conservative design. It could be easily a cayenne...
Old 10-07-2018, 12:30 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Interiors it's not just materials. Interiors is also cabin flow design and interpretation. In the corvette I see passenger arches, stingray aggressive cues, bi tonal curvy shapes ala stingray. I see sport.

In the other I see straight lines and conservative design. It could be easily a cayenne...
I agree, design is important and subjective. I also like the sporty design of the C7 interior... always have. But I also see a ton of "sport" in the Porsche interior too and the quality is exceptional. Carbon fibre, full leather, red accents (seat belts included), red door pulls, alcantara seats and wheel and headliner. I don't see Cayenne in this picture... I see sports car. The picture below is a good example of the interior of the Cayman.

All of this is a bit academic. The C7 design is great and the quality is very good. Absolutely good enough for me and I am sure the C8 will be even better. It won't be the same quality/fit/finish of Porsche but it doesn't need to be. The C7 a HUGE step up over the C6 (which I really didn't like) and the C8 will do the same again. It will be a very sporty design (my guess anyway) and will have enough quality that no one should be concerned.

Last edited by gthal; 10-07-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:46 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by nexxis

​​
​​Why does everyone keep comparing just price or 1/4-mile straight line time? Z51 and Cayman S are similar pricing and both offer nice performance.
I just think if the C8 gets a lot more expensive than the C7, you get much nicer quality and higher resale value in a Porsche. Just compare the interiors:

I like the Vette interior better. What's with the dumbass analog clock and mismatched tach/speedo background colors on the Porsche?
Old 10-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

I like the Vette interior better. What's with the dumbass analog clock and mismatched tach/speedo background colors on the Porsche?
Curious what Porsche’s you have owned lately. You speak like a man that has had a lot of experience with both brands and can really talk from experience in owning both.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,920 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

I could say the same thing with the Corvette. What's with the mismatched old fashioned analog and newer digital gauges?

By the way, you can order the instrument dials in various colors, so that's how it was ordered. You don't have to order "the clock" either.

Last edited by Michael A; 10-07-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gthal
I agree, design is important and subjective. I also like the sporty design of the C7 interior... always have. But I also see a ton of "sport" in the Porsche interior too and the quality is exceptional. Carbon fibre, full leather, red accents (seat belts included), red door pulls, alcantara seats and wheel and headliner. I don't see Cayenne in this picture... I see sports car. The picture below is a good example of the interior of the Cayman.

All of this is a bit academic. The C7 design is great and the quality is very good. Absolutely good enough for me and I am sure the C8 will be even better. It won't be the same quality/fit/finish of Porsche but it doesn't need to be. The C7 a HUGE step up over the C6 (which I really didn't like) and the C8 will do the same again. It will be a very sporty design (my guess anyway) and will have enough quality that no one should be concerned.

All good. In this picture I can appreciate the design cues on the door but the dash picture IMHO is even worse than the previous one. Honestly both upper and lower straight line splits are just too straight "german" lines for me and that passenger dash section.....but to your point..this is all subjective. Beauty in the eyes...
Old 10-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,920 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by nexxis

​​
​​Why does everyone keep comparing just price or 1/4-mile straight line time? Z51 and Cayman S are similar pricing and both offer nice performance.
I just think if the C8 gets a lot more expensive than the C7, you get much nicer quality and higher resale value in a Porsche. Just compare the interiors:

Overall, the C7 interior is stylish, but they made some horrible design decisions which make the interior low quality. For instance, look at where the door meets the dash. There is a huge gap. Also the stitching doesn't line up. If you look over on the right side, not only is there a huge gap, but the trim pieces between the door and dash don't line up and neither does the stitching. They are not even close. A lot of the controls and switch gear have the cheap GM look. The console lid doesn't line up near the handle, there is another huge gap, and there is more stitching that doesn't line up.. I'm not seeing these glaring faults on the Porsche. GM Design needs to check with the engineers and manufacturing people before signing off on designs. Let's hope the C8 is designed for quality from the start.

Last edited by Michael A; 10-07-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Michael A
Overall, the C7 interior is stylish, but they made some horrible design decisions which make the interior low quality. For instance, look at where the door meets the dash. There is a huge gap. Also the stitching doesn't line up. If you look over on the right side, not only is there a huge gap, but the trim pieces between the door and dash don't line up. They are not even close. A lot of the controls and switch gear has the cheap GM look. The console lid doesn't line up near the handle, and there is another huge gap. I'm not seeing these glaring faults on the Porsche. GM Design needs to check with the engineers and manufacturing people before signing off on designs. Let's hope the C8 is designed for quality from the start.
Correct. Anyone who feels the Corvettes interior is better than Porsche is either a Corvette fanboy or someone that has never been in a Porsche. Some things are beyond debate and this is one of them. With that being said, Corvette has made tremendous strides in closing the gap and I feel the C8 will make another step in the right direction.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 10-07-2018 at 01:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 02:05 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
Some things are beyond debate and this is one of them.
"Which is longer, a yard or a meter?" is beyond debate. "Which interior is better?" is debatable, especially given how hand-wavy "better" is. It's like you telling me which shoes I find more comfortable.

I happen to think the Porsche interiors are pretty good, but having been "corrected" by people who don't share my fondness for the C6 interior, and who prefer some wood-paneled, chrome-plated, quilted leather monstrosity, I know firsthand that these things are very much in the eye of the beholder. Whether the beholder knows it or not.

There is no specific criteria for "better." To me, overall layout is more important than things like panel gaps. A Prius interior has tighter panel gaps than an F40. I know which one I prefer.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by torquetube
"Which is longer, a yard or a meter?" is beyond debate. "Which interior is better?" is debatable, especially given how hand-wavy "better" is. It's like you telling me which shoes I find more comfortable.

I happen to think the Porsche interiors are pretty good, but having been "corrected" by people who don't share my fondness for the C6 interior, and who prefer some wood-paneled, chrome-plated, quilted leather monstrosity, I know firsthand that these things are very much in the eye of the beholder. Whether the beholder knows it or not.

There is no specific criteria for "better." To me, overall layout is more important than things like panel gaps. A Prius interior has tighter panel gaps than an F40. I know which one I prefer.
My comment wasn’t based on a persons preference. Mine was based on superior fit and finish and quality of materials. Porsche, at the current time is the one to beat. Having owned both, my 911 easily beats my past C7 in these areas. Sorry if the truth hurts. Again, I believe the C7 made some great improvements over the sea of plastic in past generations and my hopes are strong that trend will continue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. ice:
ByByBMW (10-07-2018), gthal (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The "fit and finish" guys don't get it. They keep staring at the tree (while driving lol) and neglecting the FORREST.
That cayman s dash is classic german blockhouse (bauhouse) architecture. Designed with a protractor; 3 horizontal lines, 3 vertical lines and they managed to fit a block of luggage in front of the passenger. Bravo! /sarc off

And funny..THE GAP between the dash and the doors on the cayman S in four time wider! with no attempt at flow and continuity whatsoever!
Wait...I get it..precise BLOCK HEAD design.. SIEG HAIL!! LOL!

Last edited by Telepierre; 10-07-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

My comment wasn’t based on a persons preference. Mine was based on superior fit and finish and quality of materials. Porsche, at the current time is the one to beat. Having owned both, my 911 easily beats my past C7 in these areas. Sorry if the truth hurts. Again, I believe the C7 made some great improvements over the sea of plastic in past generations and my hopes are strong that trend will continue.
You keep branding this "Ownership" thing like as if it somewhat endows you with critical comparative skills "non owners" don't have... PLEASE!

you like something you buy it.... I don't like something I don't buy it...

believe it or not for car interiors one can make qualified comparative decisions by sitting in the car, driving in the car, touching the car. Don't have to buy it the least, especially if you don't like what you see...

Old 10-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

You keep branding this "Ownership" thing like as if it somewhat endows you with critical comparative skills "non owners" don't have... PLEASE!

you like something you buy it.... I don't like something I don't buy it...

believe it or not for car interiors one can make qualified comparative decisions by sitting in the car, driving in the car, touching the car. Don't have to buy it the least, especially if you don't like what you see...

My opinion is in line with anything you would read in automotive magazines. However, my findings are based on a current model 911 and no other Porsche model since I don’t have experience with them. I do understand that you like the Corvette better and that is okay too.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 10-07-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

My opinion is in line with anything you would read in automotive magazines. However, my findings are based on a current model 911 and no other Porsche model since I don’t have experience with them. I do understand that you like the Corvette better and that is okay too.
Frankly, I don't think much is added qualitatively to a discussion by being in line with automotive magazines. Yes, they are entertaining and make for good exchanges but at the end of the day they are marketing as well and rely mostly on manufacturers advertising funds.... I know you know what that means..

ArmchairArchitect (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Frankly, I don't think much is added qualitatively to a discussion by being in line with automotive magazines. Yes, they are entertaining and make for good exchanges but at the end of the day they are marketing as well and rely mostly on manufacturers advertising funds.... I know you know what that means..
I am not knocking GM or the Corvette but they don’t measure up in build quality with Porsche. Nor should they! GM is unable to invest the needed level of money into their product to compete with Porsche and still sell at a price point demanded by the majority of Corvette buyers. You see it on most posts here with the upcoming C8. Everyone wants a world class car that competes with far more expensive cars for $60k. While they are great bang for the buck and improving they aren’t Porsche level when it comes to quality of build materials and fit and finish. If they were I would still be driving a Corvette. If Corvette buyers were demanding a $150k vs $60k c8 we might be having a different discussion. GM is hamstrung by there buyers demographics. I for one, would be more than happy to see the price jump on the c8 so it could rightfully compete against the 911 in more areas than a track where so few buyers ever spend time. Even then it’s a drivers race. It’s nice having choices and it’s nice having competition since that makes for a stronger and better product for everyone.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:23 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
The best interiors in the GM line up is from their highest brand Cadillac. Does anyone think GM will produce a nicer interior than GM highest brand? It doesn’t work that way, if they do then Cadillac will have to be improved. Remember Corvette is under Chevrolet and some parts are shared across the line up to reduce cost. Porsche is a high end brand like Cadillac, which is why their interiors across their line up are very nice, plus it’s German and they just are OCD about engineering interiors. Plus don’t have cars in their line up that cost 25k like Chevrolet. I thought my C5 interior was not great and the C6 was much more improved and my Z06 C7 was the best interior any Corvette has ever had. Corvette still has more room for improvement especially with the leathers, plastics and carpets compared to the competition.

I think GM has done an incredible job with Corvette, unfortunately for those that believe it’s going to be a Halo car costing 150k plus are wrong. Could GM have a ME version above 150k MSRP sure, but not the base car.
The Corvette is GM's most expensive car and its halo brand! This is not an opinion but a fact! And I am fairly confident the C8 will have an amazing interior and better than all or most Cadillacs! And the Germans have not always had goof interiors. Just go back 1 to 2 models on say a Mercedes and they had vey average interiors compared to their asking price. Even todays BMW's are not all that unless you get to fully optioned higher models. So this German OCD is not all true.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:56 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

It's too bad that a lot of people in here are drunk on the Corvette Kool Aid. Yes the current Corvette is a great car at a great price but if you think it can compare to cars costing twice, three, four times as much, you're **** drunk.

Hint, you can admit that there are better cars out there, just as many as there are worse cars out there.

Would I rather have a GT2 RS over a ZR1, yes, over a new ME Corvette, yes. Would I take a Cayman over a Corvette Z51, no.

Last edited by themonk; 10-07-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Dr. ice (10-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 10-07-2018, 07:02 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I'll make it real simple for you. Show me the new 2019 Z06 for under $65K.
This was my original post:

The cheapest new Cayman S in the United States right now, according to Autotrader, has a price of 75,900.00. The cheapest new grand sport is 58,146.00. The cheapest new Z06 is 70,587.00 MSRP is meaningless.
I found a new (5 miles) 2018 Z06 for 70K on autotrader at that time. Just did a search and it musthave sold. Also you seem fixated on 2019. So, you’d have to pay 75K for that. And it will munch on a Cayman S. I posted the cheapest Cayman S’s beliw (no 2019s make the cut).

Last edited by quick04Z06; 10-07-2018 at 07:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by quick04Z06:
ArmchairArchitect (10-07-2018), ByByBMW (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 07:15 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
It's too bad that a lot of people in here are drunk on the Corvette Kool Aid. Yes the current Corvette is a great car at a great price but if you think it can compare to cars costing twice, three, four times as much, you're **** drunk.

Hint, you can admit that there are better cars out there, just as many as there are worse cars out there.

Would I rather have a GT2 RS over a ZR1, yes, over a new ME Corvette, yes. Would I take a Cayman over a Corvette Z51, no.
There definitely are better cars out there than the Corvette. And there are definitely better cars out there than Porsche's as well. The Kool Aid I was drunk on was with past German cars. I blindly thought they were some magical machines. I mean they had to be because someone else (car magazines) were feeding it down my throat. After owning and experiencing many high-end German cars, I finally came to my OWN conclusion that they're not always what they're cut out to be. I still like a bunch of German cars and will own more down the line, I just don't put them on a false pedestal as I used to.
Telepierre (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I am not knocking GM or the Corvette but they don’t measure up in build quality with Porsche. Nor should they! GM is unable to invest the needed level of money into their product to compete with Porsche and still sell at a price point demanded by the majority of Corvette buyers. You see it on most posts here with the upcoming C8. Everyone wants a world class car that competes with far more expensive cars for $60k. While they are great bang for the buck and improving they aren’t Porsche level when it comes to quality of build materials and fit and finish. If they were I would still be driving a Corvette. If Corvette buyers were demanding a $150k vs $60k c8 we might be having a different discussion. GM is hamstrung by there buyers demographics. I for one, would be more than happy to see the price jump on the c8 so it could rightfully compete against the 911 in more areas than a track where so few buyers ever spend time. Even then it’s a drivers race. It’s nice having choices and it’s nice having competition since that makes for a stronger and better product for everyone.
Your premises are mis-informed magazine fairy tales.

they don’t measure up in build quality with Porsche. Nor should they!
Are you a reliability engineer? (I am). Are you basing YOUR OPINION on leather thickness? Can you articulate your opinion based on reliability parameters? Do you know what reliability is? Hint: nothing to do with leather... Ever wonder why Porsche always comes short two years and 50K miles on warranties compared to Corvette. Do you know what probability of failure is and how it drives warranties?

GM is unable to invest the needed level of money into their product to compete with Porsche and still sell at a price point demanded by the majority of Corvette buyers.
Another fairy tale. Your data? Do you know how to read a 10K SEC filing? Have you looked at the P/L for Corvette? vs Porsche? Corvette has expanded plant, new paint facility, getting ready for all new and advanced platform most likely in conjunction with previous and here you are talking Porsche investments in 1996 caymans and 1963+ 911s?
Have you looked at the billions Porsche had to fork out this year alone to settle their emission cheating? Can you please take a read and come back to reality, please?!

GM is hamstrung by there buyers demographics. I for one, would be more than happy to see the price jump on the c8 so it could rightfully compete against the 911 in more areas than a track where so few buyers ever spend time.
More magazine intoxication...and demographics....have you actually looked at C7 sales versus caymans and 911s??? Can the two germans put together come remotely close to 1/3 of C7 sales? The real demographic I count is the one that buys or are you again confusing with magazine subscriptions?
Sales at hand, Corvette has rightfully competed and market defeated Porsche since 1953 because it is a superior platform. It is more reliable. It is more flexible. It is more powerful. It is more comfortable. It is more economical. Does not need race tires to post marketing records and it does not cheat emissions.

Sorry if I busted your magazine collection knowledge base with data points...
The following 2 users liked this post by Telepierre:
ArmchairArchitect (10-08-2018), pdiddy972 (10-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?