Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wouldn't it be Smart Marketing to Release the Top of the Line ME First?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 09:14 AM
Corvette 1467
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
With so much speculation about this next generation (how much will it cost, will there also be a front engine model, etc), one thing we know for certain is that GM will be definitely releasing a ME model. Some think the ME will be THE platform for C8. Some think GM will keep a similar pricing structure as the past and others think the ME will be less accessible and priced out of the market for the majority of Corvette buyers.

I'm personally of the opinion that the ME will be the C8 and will be fairly accessible for most current Corvette buyers, at least in base trim. However, part of me really would like to see what GM could do with attempting to create a car with limited compromises, where costs are less of a priority.

What if GM releases a true halo ME car like this first to make a statement... a $200k+ car that will spank most exotics? Release this car in limited numbers first and create hype for the new platform. Lay down the hammer right away. Not everyone will be able to afford one or even buy one, similar to the Ford GT. I'd love to see that car from GM.

Then, a year later, release the ME platform for the rest of the Corvette models based off of that platform. Base model will be accessible and share some technologies and aesthetics with the halo car, albeit at an attainable price (less fancy materials, technologies, etc). There would still be high performance models of the ME in future years, but none would ever approach the price, limited availability, and performance of the limited edition halo car that was released first.

To me, this would create a lot of hype for the brand, hopefully change the opinion of the brand outside of the usual Corvette faithful and enthusiasts, and be a smart way to market the C8.

Heck, Apple did something similar with the iPhone X. They released a $1k phone with technologies and design that will be used for future phones a year later.

Keep the C7 alive during the year the halo ME is released and then convert the platform over to the ME C8 based off of the halo car a year later.

Not saying it's going to happen like this, but IMO it would be a smart marketing decision to make a big splash with this revolutionary change to the Corvette brand.
As much as I would like it, I think the way they do it now where they space it out by a few years; is the smartest idea.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:16 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Old news been discussed here before.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-reverse.html

Old 08-23-2018, 10:13 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Too much risk. What is this high priced "halo" car is a flop? What is a competitor comes out with a better "halo" car? Now you don't have the cash flow coming into bring out the "standard" car.
Comparing risk of "limited run" ME halo car flop vs C8/ME C7 replacement car flop, the former will have the least downside. With halo car concept the "limited run" version takes a hit vs entire Corvette demographic. Any new model car can flop or disappoint, the risk is there anytime something new is introduced.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:34 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
I agree with that. You don't think migrating the platform to ME is a revolutionary enough change to warrant such a strategy? I do, that's why I came up with this make believe scenario lol. Make a big splash with this change, lay the hammer down right away to create additional hype, and to set the automotive world on notice right away. Use that momentum and hype to roll out the C8 line for the rest of the masses shortly after, and hopefully those that never would consider a Corvette.

Halo cars are meant to strengthen and sometimes change the perception of the brand. Why not do that right away to show those that this is a whole different animal?
I think it's definitely revolutionary enough to warrant the strategy, I just think GM's goal for the car is to sell it in volume vs exclusivity. Ford's GT was always going to be a very low volume, high price halo car so I highly doubt we will ever see one mass produced. If GM launched the ME as a high dollar halo in very small quantities (to justify the price) we would likely also never see a mass produced version of it and the Corvette brand would live on in a new C8 FE car. What's been leaked so far seems to support the strategy that the ME is going to be mass produced and as such will follow the same strategy as a base car first, higher power variant and/or spyder and then a specialty/track version to follow. As others have stated in a mass produced car you cannot generate new excitement by going backwards.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:39 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,301 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race
I guess I don't get it..... Did all the buyers of high end performance Mustangs abandon the blue oval when they brought out the very limited edition GT supercar???

The Corvette faithful are NOT going to abandon the brand if GM brings out a high buck limited edition "ultimate" ME Corvette. Not only will that prestige flow down to the traditional Corvette line, it will set the expectation level for future features and performance.

What I seem to be hearing here is folks saying if a big dollar limited edition ME comes out as a halo car for Corvette, they will abandon the brand. That's BS. If you can't afford (or don't want to spend the bucks) to buy the 'top of the line' then you will just go somewhere else??? Really!!!

And by the way, think about all the 'buzz' the GT's are still getting (ie: when one sell at auction, etc) You don't have to see 'em on the road every day to get wide spread media attention. People are still talking about the GT, and just how many have YOU seen on the road???
Bingo
Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,301 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Let me try to clarify where I'm going with this. I see many counterpoints that working backwards wouldn't work... and I agree (in the traditional sense). But what I'm proposing in regards to this initially released halo ME car is not the same as them releasing the ZR1 first (traditionally the ultimate performance version of the generation).

What I'm getting at is this this Halo car would not be the exact thing as the C8. The C8 would be inspired by it, it would share certain technologies, design, and engineering attributes... but it would not be the same car. This would be a limited volume, true halo car for the brand to really show what the Corvette team could do without the constraints of basing the high performance car off of a $60k base car platform. This also wouldn't be like a ZR1 where Chevy would build as many as people will purchase. Not everyone would be able to afford one, and even if they could they still might not be lucky enough to secure one. This would IMO be a true halo car where the benefit to the brand would go beyond sales numbers for the car. And when the base model is released after, you better believe there will still be demand as this car would in no way affect those in the market for that car. Furthermore I believe if they really make a statement with this halo car that will do nothing but increase the hype around the release of the attainable C8 and the variants after it. The standard release schedule of the C8 (Z06 the year after base, etc) would remain the same, the availability of those models wouldn't be any different.

Last edited by JockItch; 08-23-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:01 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Comparing risk of "limited run" ME halo car flop vs C8/ME C7 replacement car flop, the former will have the least downside. With halo car concept the "limited run" version takes a hit vs entire Corvette demographic. Any new model car can flop or disappoint, the risk is there anytime something new is introduced.
Exactly. A halo version of a new ME design simply provides a platform for the critics to tear it down. Hardly creates excitement then for a "lesser" version of it.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

The introduction of a new platform is your one and only chance to maximize volume. If the plan is to sell a high production model, there's no better time than during the buzz that happens with a product launch.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:48 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Tesla promised a $35k car but they don't exist. They are selling them for $60k - $70k. So it is working for Tesla. Kind of.

great point.... that roadster with 7000 lb/ft torque..... for 200k.... very tempting if they make it happen.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:11 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by randyn
You raise a great point.

I don’t particularly agree that the best model should be first, However the ZR1 is always and has been released way too late in its lifecycle of that particular version of the Corvette.

Enough with the going away models. After seeing the pictures of the C8 race car, I am so glad I did not buy a ZR1. To buy a 140,000 car to be so obsolete in a year. I’m sure some people don’t mind dropping that much money on a car that is old news so quickly. However, I think in today’s world and with future buyers and the Internet and the quick exchange of information people don’t want old news anymore. I just don’t see this marketing strategy working for many more cycles. Just think how many automobiles are late to the game these days. Trends are rapidly changing and I just think that offering a ZR1 in the last year of the C7 was to late.

Mercedes BMW Audi and Porsche all test their HPO version simultaneously with their base new models. AMG, RS, Turbo S, M model. Yes late in the game these manufacturers will offer a very limited run track orientated special car. That has not been the ZR1.

I would say the closest car to that would be the ZL1 1LE.

I don’t mean to offend any ZR1 buyers, in fact I’m very frustrated. It’s very deflating to have waited for a car and wanted something so badly, yet to feel like you’re making the wrong decision on a purchase knowing that something so much better it’s going to be here in just such a short period of time it really sucks.

I am praying that the Z06 version of the C8 comes a year after the base model. If not, it will be time to move on!

The C6 ZR1 was always the ultimate Corvette, until the C7 ZR1 was released. To this day, with a mildly tarted up interior and a nice hood, I'd still take a C6 ZR1 over a C7 Z06.

Sure it's the old style, but it's the ultimate expression of that old style.

In the case of the C7 ZR1, it might be the fastest manual trans Corvette ever produced if the manny doesn't make it to the C8. But either way, the C7 ZR1 will always be the absolute fastest manual trans, FE, RWD, sports car EVER built. In history. Cars will only get more computer controlled, more hybrid, more DCTed, more AWD, from here on out.

As cool as the C8 will be and all it's variants, until the C8 ZR1 is released, it will still just another Corvette in a couple of years. That will never happen to the C7 ZR1.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 08-24-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Wouldn't it be Smart Marketing to Release the Top of the Line ME First?