Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design Duke Out--What the HELL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

Hoping for the best but,, it seems too conservative to me.. Paul
Old 09-05-2018, 10:16 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

here is an overlay outline comparison of a c7 z06 and the new c8 side view.

I scaled them based on the wheel size so it should be close. Note the wheel base is within an inch or two if not the same.

I note that the cars are almost identical in size/ overall height. The beltline is also identical.

The following 12 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
07MontyRed (09-05-2018), 64drvr (09-08-2018), 91ZR1 (09-06-2018), bgspot (09-07-2018), black_valentine (09-06-2018), ColoradoGS (09-05-2018), MikeG37 (09-05-2018), PuckDracon (09-09-2018), RedDropTop (09-07-2018), rsvette12 (09-05-2018), vettesweetnos (09-06-2018), zhopper05 (09-05-2018) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:19 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Interesting thanks wheel to wheel distance exact and of course it would be Mr. GM

Last edited by rsvette12; 09-05-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:24 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Wherever GM can re-use tooling they will be to help with cost in manufacturing frame welders comes to mind
Old 09-05-2018, 10:26 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
I'm confused. They look really close in appearance. It's almost as if the C8 is (shock) a C7 with the cabin moved forward to account for the mid-engine placement. But I've read clearly here on these forums that the C8 is "hideous". I guess that means the C7 is hideous too. Now if you will excuse me I'll be downstairs staring at my hideous grand sport in the garage.
The following 3 users liked this post by ColoradoGS:
bgspot (09-07-2018), firstvettesoon (09-05-2018), rsvette12 (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

I scaled them based on the wheel size so it should be close. Note the wheel base is within an inch or two if not the same.

I note that the cars are almost identical in size/ overall height. The beltline is also identical.

I just realized that with the cab-forward layout, there will be an increase in blind spot area. Hopefully, it will have sensors to take care of that.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:34 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Right on. The first test mules (not counting the Holden ute) were running basically the whole C7 center section.. the doors, roof, windshield, etc. and in those winter test pics with it side by side with the ZR1 they were visibly the same size.

Last edited by MikeG37; 09-05-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:35 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default FVS--Not a valid comparison

Here's the problem. The NET effect of the design is more than the sum of its parts and you, FVS, should understand that--having consistently produced renderings that are sleeker and sexier than what we're seeing in the C8. The C7 beltline for example is deliciously interrupted by upward sweeping lines.

'The C8 remains:
  • Slab sided
  • High belted
  • High narrow flat assed
  • Lacking the C7 shape
  • Ridiculously high nose

The following users liked this post:
PurpleLion (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:36 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by zhopper05
I just realized that with the cab-forward layout, there will be an increase in blind spot area. Hopefully, it will have sensors to take care of that.
Me will have a camera rear view mirror. The rear camera on the roof above the back glass will be the mirror camera. It’s a feature in the new GMC trucks and other GM cars. Main Camera in front will project on the nav screen and camera in back is for the mirror. I have owned many ME cars and the rear visibility is never that great., this will be a nice safety feature. I was told it can be turned off and on.

Front visability on most ME is very good unless driving some Lamborghini”s as your sitting very low in the seat.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-05-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default 50-50, neutral, some like it some don't. Oh that's great.

Originally Posted by Darion
FYI, This comment isn't directed to your opinion.

Ain't it great this world we live in where every irrelevant opinion can be shared in just a matter of a second! Forums are for sharing, clownin, speculating and bitchin. Blogs, well most are useless really and the Auto Mags are just looking to sell copy. Right now is an awesome time for all these formats cause I believe in some ways GM is trolling everybody.

Enjoy the ride, and when the car debuts people will like some aspects, be neutral on others and hate a few, won't stop people from buying. GM will still deliver a out standing performance car for the money compared to its competition.

oh and for the record I'm a thumbs up, ready for a change.

PC
I would hope that the design would be a hands-down, BOLD, EXCITING, CLASS-LEADING STATEMENT. And that's whether you liked it or not.

What we're getting is what you're describing--at best: "Yeah. But it'll grow on us..."

What a ringing endorsement.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:41 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default So far...

Originally Posted by fasttoys
The new C8 is a big departure from tradition Corvettes, it’s going to get half of the people on this forum just angry, while the others will be fine or just giddy with the change. If you're in the camp that was not happy that GM was going ME you will be more critical of the car to support your narrative, it’s human nature.

I think the front of the car looks great, love the short nose. The side of the car with the side scoops are still controversial but I get the concept and the cooling as I have owned many ME cars. The rear with the added fin and tail lights looks a little off but so did the one on the C7. Every time I walked out to my 90k c7 Z06 I was thinking why did GM use cheap A hardware store screws to hold this thing together. I had changed mine out to blend into the spoiler but then again I am very OCD.
I think the wider Z version with active aero Dynamics will be cool similar to many other brands. My wide body C7/Z compared to my C7 Z51 looked very different and more aggressive. My final point, after watching the video of the ME on the track it shows how the camouflage is messing with many of us and the car looks better in certain angles compared to my first thoughts. Someone who was in a C6/C5 lowered Z said when he was next to the C8 ME in Colorado that the car looked lower, wider. and more aggressive in person.

The new NSX is appealing and has the crazy technology but Acura overpriced it and she is not selling. I had the boring pleasure to have one for the day since my Acura store was trying to sell me one.

In the end, if you don’t like how it looks or for whatever reason we live in the USA you don’t have to buy one
Most on this forum are not happy. Many are just shrugging their shoulders and a few actually like it.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:43 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Here's the problem. The NET effect of the design is more than the sum of its parts and you, FVS, should understand that--having consistently produced renderings that are sleeker and sexier than what we're seeing in the C8. The C7 beltline for example is deliciously interrupted by upward sweeping lines.

'The C8 remains:
  • Slab sided
  • High belted
  • High narrow flat assed
  • Lacking the C7 shape
  • Ridiculously high nose
I will agree with you that for some reason the street car does not look AS sexy as the C8R which has a better flow to it...but then again, maybe the z06/Zr1 version will bump it up a bit more.

The nose is the same height as the c7 as is the beltline. I think we need to see a 3d rendering...anyone know anyone?

I also think the final car will be much more refined and with all the trim and details it will be more sexier... ; )
Old 09-05-2018, 10:51 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

I'm out of the free 3d modeling scene now - sorry after doing it all day last thing I want to do now
Old 09-05-2018, 10:51 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,231 Likes on 6,030 Posts

JFC IronV you're going on ignore.

My only gripe currently is the belt line. The ME removed the need for a high cowl to meet Euro pedestrian regs which then necessitates a high belt line. Was hoping to a return of a C5esque super low cowl and corresponding belt line.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 09-05-2018 at 10:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvettoBrando (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:53 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

your picture dam it’s distracting. What else can they do to be daring without It being a 300k plus hypercar under the Chevrolet name? That is not going to happen.

I disagree in one area (An affordable V8 ME would be drastically different) I owned Lotus Evora GT, Cayman S and Alfa 4C and many other higher end mid-engine cars. My Audi R8 V8 with 430HP had an MSRP 138k If GM can come out with a DCT V8 ME under 100k and even closer to 70k MSRP wow that is a game changer.
I enjoy reading your posts, but I disagree a bit with this one. I have no opinions about the pics I see other than it seems to pretty much follow the Acura NSX overall design. Sorry, but the Lotus Evora in my opinion was overpriced with it being powered by essentially a Camry engine. Drove the Alfa 4C, and was not interested at all in buying one - just too many damn compromises for me. Would have loved to buy the Cayman GT4 (2016) but could not find one at a price I was willing to pay. So I bought a '19 2LZ Manual at 12 percent off, love it has a lot of ZR1 parts on it...

But back to the ME. I don't think it all hard to believe that a base ME with a 490 or so h/p LT2 motor could start at around $70k. In fact, I would be surprised if it started at a higher price. And I would expect its track performance to equal a C7 Z51 Stingray or perhaps the regular GS. A Z51 version of this may well rival a GS with Z07. But, realistically, I don't see anything less than a dohc with "Z07" to give me a run for my money. And, it might take the twin turbo version to best a Z06 with Z07. We will see.. And that one will definitely NOT be starting at 70k. Having just parted with my '17 Shelby, I know that the Fords, DOHC FPC motor was a lot heavier than a Chevrolet small block, and pretty gutless under about 3200 rpm. Glorious at the higher rpm levels which is good for the track, not so much for street driving. Ford is replacing a lot of those blown motors and they are EXPENSIVE - Ford quotes $30k.

I am enjoying watching this unfold from the sidelines and just trying to keep it real. Maybe after they work the inevitable issues out over three or four years and prices start getting discounted, I might get interested. Gonna enjoy the '19 for while..
Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default FVS Optimism

I will agree with you that for some reason the street car does not look AS sexy as the C8R which has a better flow to it...but then again, maybe the z06/Zr1 version will bump it up a bit more.

The nose is the same height as the c7 as is the beltline. I think we need to see a 3d rendering...anyone know anyone?

I also think the final car will be much more refined and with all the trim and details it will be more sexier... ; )
I wish I shared your optimism but the die is cast. There's no way the basic proportions nor style lines will change. Where as the C7 had a real dynamism to it, upward sweeping lines breaking up the beltline etc. The C8 has none of that. NOT A TRACE. And an *** that makes the C5's look dainty and sculpted.

It's quite frankly chunky and toadlike. Almost strange how far removed it is from the C8.R.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:08 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE Almost strange how far removed it is from the C8.R.[/QUOTE]

I'll give you that one

Get notified of new replies

To Design Duke Out--What the HELL?

Old 09-05-2018, 11:10 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

FVS, this comparison is fantastic.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:15 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

The C8 belt-line and front hood should be significantly lower than the C7 since the hood no longer has to provide clearance for an engine! Also, a lower hood should facilitate more aerodynamic downforce.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Its hard to tell from the Camo photos but my reaction is this looks like an extremely conservative design. It has the feeling of a crisper Ferrari 360 modena.

It doesn't appear unattractive but it's not going to make your hair stand on end looking at it. And the back view might as be from a Camaro.

I could be wrong when they take the wrapper of but that's my feeling today. I'm not really earth shattering. I think it should have been more radical.

Quick Reply: Design Duke Out--What the HELL?