Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Interior Noise level

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 05:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
Hearing loss and the resulting tinnitus and hyperacusis are no fun. I suffer from both due to avoidable noise exposure when I was younger. Fortunately, most newer cars are pretty quiet compared to the same models of 10 years ago. Engine sounds are great and road/tire noise is obtrusive. I'm hoping the engineers can let the right amount of engine and exhaust noise in without making it louder than the C7.
The two quietest cars I have ever owned were a 1990 Cadillac Sedan Deville and a 1997 Buick La Sabre Limited. Both were dead quiet and both were around long before 10 years ago.

On the mid engine Corvette, I'm still with the conviction that both the hardtop convertible and the targa top coupe will have a vertical pane of glass as the top part of a rear firewall behind the passenger compartment.

On the targa top coupe the vertical glass will be stationary, and on the hardtop convertible, the vertical glass will drop down into a sleeve that is part of the lower aluminum rear firewall behind the passenger compartment.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-07-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:31 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

They will have an adjustment for exhaust note just like the C7. This is a great feature as I wish my R8 and other ME had it. Since your ears are designed to capture sound from the front and the engine is behind you that should help other than a drone. I feel my ME cars seemed less harsh to my ears compared to my front engine cars since the sound was in front of me. Not a fair comparison as they were different engines and cars.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-07-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:20 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

It will be louder if you ask me. I can hear the engine behind me in the GT4 (the raw mechanics, etc) better than I could any of my front engine cars. It feels closer somehow too. The engine is literally right behind your head unlike in a FE layout where there is a dash and space between you and the engine. It's not a bad thing in a sports car... it's an awesome thing. If I wanted quiet, great gas mileage, or room for golf bags I'd buy something else

Last edited by gthal; 09-07-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:36 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Hatchbacks tend to create weird harmonics. I also believe rear mid engine placement behind the driver should help as well.

itll be like ferraris and mclarens ...

i believe acuras nsx has low nvh as well.

most noise will be tire noise....wide sticky rubber can get loud...

i think it will be less tiring than the c7 or c6 before it.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:06 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
The average car has 17,000 parts. I don't think a few more will make any difference. I don't hear anyone complaining that there is a special HUD windshield. All they have to do is replace the laminate layer of the windshield with an acoustic material. They should just make it standard, if they are going for a more refined car.
Porsche does it on their SUV line up. I don’t think it would be an issue on the C8 to have two different sets of glass and two tiers of carpet.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:18 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Be careful wanting any improvements on the Corvette on this site because there is always a small minority that comes out the loudest trying to dispute you!
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveFerrari458:
fasttoys (09-08-2018), Michael A (09-20-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:10 AM
moon2605
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
Would be cool if they had options for sound deadening. Glass, Carpet, Etc.

It would be great if they had a "Touring Option" or something along that line. I really enjoy my 15 Zo6 but it is not my first choice to go on much of a trip. More of a "race car" or run a few errands on the weekend car. I am not saying it needs to be Lexus Quiet but it would be nice to be more of a cruiser. Have the dual mode exhaust so you can really hear the engine exhaust note when you like. It would be nice for the car to be more refined. The Z06 or whatever the hopped up version will be $100K plus. It should be a little more refined. or have the base trim model pretty bare bones as far as noise reduction goes and load up the more expensive model. As far as the guys who beat the drum that it is a sports car and should be rough and loud that is fine, that is what they want . The ME is very cool having the engine behind you. Also the rear wheels should not be within the cab area, will be in engine "zone" , which should help road noise. It is a different sound sensation and feel for sure. Having a visible engine would be very cool as well. Really an attention grabber. Anxious to see the new machine in all of its glory. It will be bad *** . No question. I think everyone will be impressed. I still look at the 15 ZO6 and it is still love. These cars just keep getting better. we will not all get our wish list but it will be a great car for sure.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:29 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

All corvettes are noisy and ride harsh. What’s will be different another the 8?
The following users liked this post:
Virtual Geezer (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 AM
moon2605
Pro

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
All corvettes are noisy and ride harsh. What’s will be different another the 8?

I disagree on the harsh. The C7 suspension can be set very soft. The noise issue can be addressed by insulation. However by design it should have less road noise.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:17 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I'm driving a Ford Fusion rental right now. The windshield and side windows have labels on them saying they are acoustic glass. It must be standard, because this is a stripper rental car. It does make a difference with wind noise, tire noise coming in from outside, and noise from passing vehicles. Since this is a bare bones model, I doubt it is costing Ford very much money. I like it!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
Do you think the interior noise level of the ME C8 will be comparable to the C7? Just wondering if anyone thinks the C8 will be louder with the engine behind the passenger compartment.
I have been wondering the same thing--it will be interesting. Right now when I want a little more growl I push my Mild-2-Wild button, but when I want it quiet the car is really quiet.. Just wonder how having the engine quite a bit closer will be.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

I've always thought GM was missing a target audience opportunity by overlooking a "Grand Tourer" Corvette sub-model with near Cadillac level NVH control. Keep the engine below 85 dba at WOT, suppress tire road noise to the mid 70 dba for 80 mph cruise, etc.

Based on how many, if not most, Corvette owners use their 'Vettes for road trippin', it's a natural thing to want a grand tourer with potent street performance but not optimized for the track.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
I've always thought GM was missing a target audience opportunity by overlooking a "Grand Tourer" Corvette sub-model with near Cadillac level NVH control. Keep the engine below 85 dba at WOT, suppress tire road noise to the mid 70 dba for 80 mph cruise, etc.

Based on how many, if not most, Corvette owners use their 'Vettes for road trippin', it's a natural thing to want a grand tourer with potent street performance but not optimized for the track.
I agree. In fact said this in another post today:

Seems that every one is wanting a full bore race car. That is not for me. I don’t do track day, don’t street race, don’t need aero for 200+ mph, don’t need 800+ hp, don’t need turbos or superchargers, etc, etc.
I just need a great GT car that the wife and I can get in and take off across country for a week. Since the C4 the Vette has been a great road car, one of the best for road trips. Guess that what I would buy is the base car or maybe a Z51 equivalent car. I will leave the Z06/ZR1 cars to the track guys or street racers. Those don’t have anything to offer for me.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 03:52 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

All this speculation. Can't you wait till Christmas, untie the bow, and find answers within the machine ? Its a mechanical object on four wheels with options to meet your fantasies . Have patience.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:54 PM
moon2605
Pro

It is a ball to speculate. Think about obsess, hope etc. that's half the fun. No patience required.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73

I agree. In fact said this in another post today:
Quote:
Seems that every one is wanting a full bore race car. That is not for me. I don’t do track day, don’t street race, don’t need aero for 200+ mph, don’t need 800+ hp, don’t need turbos or superchargers, etc, etc.
I just need a great GT car that the wife and I can get in and take off across country for a week. Since the C4 the Vette has been a great road car, one of the best for road trips. Guess that what I would buy is the base car or maybe a Z51 equivalent car. I will leave the Z06/ZR1 cars to the track guys or street racers. Those don’t have anything to offer for me.
Well said. For now our best option is to get a Corvette with narrower wheels and then install sound deadening materials throughout the car. I did this on a Ford Probe a long time ago and it worked great (with only a slight impact on performance) but who really wants to completely tear down the interior on a brand new Corvette?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov

Very good idea. They would probably pick up some Porsche buyers if they did this, too. I hear Porsche 911 and Cayman owners complaining about road and wind noise after taking their cars on long trips. I just read another post from a Porsche owner complaining about road noise a couple days ago. Cadillac noise level at 80 mph would probably be closer to 70 dBA. Exhaust could be suppressed below 85 dBA, unless user puts it in loud mode.

Quick Reply: C8 Interior Noise level