Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Nurburgring laptime

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 10:48 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I am with you pietro c7, that at this point in the middle of the development of the car, it is cornering flat, including some really difficult corners on the track, turning in well, and seems very composed.

I candidly care less what the time is at this point. The car does not even have it final, stage 3 Michelins, the final spring and shock rates are being calibrated, steeering software and bushing firmness (the last two items on the C7 Z06’s development) has probably not yet been finalized, throttle mapping is still being worked on, the eLSD (if is has one), is also still under development, and more similar components and software finalization is yet to be done.

Again, I care less if its time is a 7:30 at this point in time, for the car has about six more months of fine tuning/development left to go.

Last edited by elegant; 09-13-2018 at 10:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RoketRdr (09-15-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:05 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Road and Track usually has well written articles. This is not one of them.

I see what you mean Michael.... something was strange in the first few lines...as below...

R/T Story:
"Nürburg, Germany. It’s shortly after 5:30 PM, and I’m sitting on the roof of my VW T4 Caravelle (that’s a VW Eurovan in your lingo, dude), blazing a big joint.... I’ve just finished my own test-driving shift,...."

Red text for emphasis..

Old 09-13-2018, 11:12 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

At least GM has enough clout with some to give them the good feeling to make such ridiculous claims.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:44 AM
JMLS
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

so far all videos of the mid engine car taking laps look dull in comparison to the ZR1 videos. That thing was ripping and tearing. This ME car looked gutless. I find it very hard to believe it broke 7 minutes
The following users liked this post:
Z51VetteFan (09-17-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 05:41 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Well, if that's true he's a poor journalist... that's not what he's saying here...

He clearly seems disappointed the car didn't break a record... as if he expected it to. He also suggests it did go under 7:00 like another American car, the ZR1. Just not enough to matter (i.e. breaking a record or getting close). It's a bizarre article if you ask me.
What? The ZR1 never went under 7 mins. Are you talking about the theoretical best sector times? Those are not real numbers, lol.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:40 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
What? The ZR1 never went under 7 mins. Are you talking about the theoretical best sector times? Those are not real numbers, lol.
Yes and I understand they aren't real numbers I'm basically trying to somehow piece together his broken logic in what is just poorly written and unclear piece of journalism.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:40 AM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

The car did not lap the Nurburgring in under 7 minutes. Dale Lomas, the author of the article and founder of BridgeToGantry posted this response:

dalomas�� Despite the misinterpretations of my latest Road&Track column, this is still the closest an American supercar has got to the #7minute Nürburgring barrier until now... the real 7m01s #ViperACR straight outta Texas. (I don’t count theoretical best-sector times, sorry!) ___

View this post on Instagram
Old 09-14-2018, 09:27 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
The car did not lap the Nurburgring in under 7 minutes. Dale Lomas, the author of the article and founder of BridgeToGantry posted this response:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bns0EQZH...ken-by=dalomas
Starting to sound like it’s in the very low 7’s.
Impressive.

A regular base c7 did about 7.5 minutes in 2014.
I don’t think the C8 has much more HP,from the videos.

The Nordschliefe has over 125 turns...the only way to best a c7 with let’s say roughly the same HP is with less weight and grip.

In some of the C8 videos you see very heavy late breaking ,
In one case ,you see the back of the car almost lifting under braking before a being pitched into a righthander.

I believe the car could be as much as 200 pounds lighter.
This car seems to be gaining its time,going into the curves.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:43 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7
Starting to sound like it’s in the very low 7’s.
Impressive.

A regular base c7 did about 7.5 minutes in 2014.
I don’t think the C8 has much more HP,from the videos.

The Nordschliefe has over 125 turns...the only way to best a c7 with let’s say roughly the same HP is with less weight and grip.

In some of the C8 videos you see very heavy late breaking ,
In one case ,you see the back of the car almost lifting under braking before a being pitched into a righthander.

I believe the car could be as much as 200 pounds lighter.
This car seems to be gaining its time,going into the curves.
I'm not sure where you guys get some of your interpretations from what he writes, but reading comprehension is severely lacking. He didn't say anywhere that the Corvette was anywhere near a low 7 minute time. He basically said it was so slow he wouldn't bother releasing the time, and somehow several people here have deciphered that to mean it's at or below the 7 minute mark. Guys, I get it, your fans of whatever GM sells you, but c'mon.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:49 PM
bebezote
Pro

now, lets see how she hooks from a dig... and how much boost or squeeze a motor will take.... 1/4 mile baby !!!
Old 09-14-2018, 02:08 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dsevo
I'm not sure where you guys get some of your interpretations from what he writes, but reading comprehension is severely lacking. He didn't say anywhere that the Corvette was anywhere near a low 7 minute time. He basically said it was so slow he wouldn't bother releasing the time, and somehow several people here have deciphered that to mean it's at or below the 7 minute mark. Guys, I get it, your fans of whatever GM sells you, but c'mon.
I don’t really care what the journalist said or ment.

From what I’m seeing,I believe the car could shave 20 seconds off of the C7 time on a a 13 mile track,with horsepower within a 10% range.
It looks lighter,again based on its track behaviour .

The cars behaviour seems like it’s more Cayman on steroids,then it seems C7.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:35 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

I don’t really care what the journalist said or ment.

From what I’m seeing,I believe the car could shave 20 seconds off of the C7 time on a a 13 mile track,with horsepower within a 10% range.
It looks lighter,again based on its track behaviour .

The cars behaviour seems like it’s more Cayman on steroids,then it seems C7.
Ok. But you quoted an IG post, and said "Starting to sound like it’s in the very low 7’s.
Impressive." So forgive me for thinking you might actually be referring to the post you quoted.

I don't have any idea how fast the car is or isn't, but my point is, neither does anybody else until real times are released.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:16 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by bebezote
now, lets see how she hooks from a dig... and how much boost or squeeze a motor will take.... 1/4 mile baby !!!

...give it a turn here...take out some wedge there... you'll win some races ! ; )
The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
RoketRdr (09-15-2018), Z51VetteFan (09-17-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 05:04 PM
bebezote
Pro

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
...give it a turn here...take out some wedge there... you'll win some races ! ; )
maybe I'll try..thanks... just zero experience with high speed maneuvering.. I watch ring videos and its just amazing........ its been so long running 1/4 ... it would be so foreign...
Old 09-14-2018, 08:57 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

less weight or more grip

less weight and grip implies that there is less grip the opposite of desire.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:28 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
less weight or more grip

less weight and grip implies that there is less grip the opposite of desire.
More grip as well.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:55 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Everyone, he is saying that this is NOT the first American car to go under 7 mins. In fact, he is downplaying the time he recorded because it probably wasn't super impressive which is why he compared it to the response he got for the ZR1's time. He then goes on to say that who knows how well the car will perform once everything is sorted out.
My reading too.
Certainly not a ringing endorsement...

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Nurburgring laptime

Old 09-15-2018, 01:11 AM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dsevo
This guy is 100% right... It was painful reading this thread. Some of you guys need to work on your reading comprehension.

The C8 he is writing about was probably running around 7:25 if it was running full tilt. If still just testing, probably closer to 7:40. Its ridiculous some of you guys thought this base model car was going under 7 minutes lol. He specifically said in the article the time was so slow, that people would hate him and berate him if he released the time.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:53 AM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Don't you people have a shred of investigative moxie!?!?!? Dale Lomas bluntly said that the C8 did an under 7 minute lap and only a day later he's backtracking. Lomas, Misha Charoudin, and carspotter Jeroen, all surf this track continuously and they are constantly checking lap times. There is no doubt in my mind that he got pressure from Road & Track, who got pressure from GM, to walk it back. GM is completely aware of the volatility of a truthful reporting of a sub 7 lap at this juncture of the game.

Last edited by ltomn; 09-15-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

It was poor writing that's it. He said not close to a record and not the first american supercar to go under 7 min, that's all he and we need to know.

You know its poor writing when one person can read it, and another can read the same and get two different meanings. It doesn't even matter which side is getting the correct message that's just poorly done.

PC

Hope they get that sub 7 and actually publish a real time at some point. Recent history isn't in our favor for that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Darion:
jcsperson (09-15-2018), RoketRdr (09-15-2018)

Quick Reply: C8 Nurburgring laptime