Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:16 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Zora needs to establish a separate identity from Corvette (the value leader) so discounting from 911 prices is not appropriate. "Oh, you couldn't afford the 911 so you settled for a Zora" is not what GM wants to hear. A premium brand needs to charge premium prices. How many people know that Porsche is a division of VW?
That respect your calling for has to be earned ...
Deliver on quality like Porsche has for almost 20 years,
and eventually you get to hike prices.
Nobody says that a Corvette can’t be priced like a Porsche 10 years from now.
But ,for model year 2020 ,it can’t happen ,and many will flock to the P car...

Last edited by pietro c7; 12-11-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Missp
Old 12-11-2018, 04:37 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7

That respect your calling for has to be earned ...
Deliver on quality like Porsche has for almost 20 years,
and eventually you get to hike prices.
You mean quality like this?
Most models of the 996 generation of the Porsche 911 sports car were afflicted with a vulnerability in the intermediate shaft (IMS) that drove their engines' camshafts. Failure of the ball bearing of the IMS generally leads to varying degrees of engine failure. Generally, after IMS bearing failure, the engine internals are contaminated with debris from the failure that requires the engine to be stripped and rebuilt. In severe failure modes, cam timing may be affected, leading to valve-piston impact, necessitating replacement of the entire engine
The following users liked this post:
vndkshn (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 04:47 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
I'm fully aware of the correct terminology, and used it. Higher level interiors will attract buyers, but there are so many other factors that go into it that pointing out a statistic is going to prove absolutely nothing about how it impacts sales. Everything from marketing, to brand image, desired use, to the type of people that walk in the door is going to impact how an upscale interior is going to impact sales. For example, if you go into Porsche shopping for a GT3, chances are you can afford it without blinking. It is not likely to be your first Porsche. And you would fall into one of two types of buyers, either a) you want a track car, or b) you have money to throw around and simply want the best. Either way, interior is not the first consideration. Conversely if you are buying an M5, you aren't shopping for a track car. You are likely a high earning business person and want a luxury car that has a lot of power. It is likely your daily driver and you want to be a bit pampered so you are shopping for something with a nice interior to go with all that power. If you are shopping for new Corvette you are either a) stepping up from buying used Vettes because that is what you could afford in the past, b) a diehard Corvette fan and this is what you buy, or c) someone who can afford all the fast cars they want, or at least a few, and recognize that the Corvette is a bargain for what you get. In any of these events, you aren't shopping for a luxury cruiser. The closest you get is the guy who likes some speed and wants to fit a golf bag or two in the back. So, the audience isn't there for luxury interiors. Kia, well let's face it, only people who hate themselves buy Kias. If you are on the lot you already have a problem, but since you are making bad decisions why not buy a terrible car with a pretty interior. Most who buy Kias can't afford the upscale models, so there goes the nice interior. The ones who are sill there and can afford to buy the nicer version are already making a bad decision and shouldn't be allowed to handle their own money.

You're ignorance is outweighed only by your arrogance, pomposity, and snobbery. I'd wager that most people who speak as you do on the internet don't have a pot to **** in.

Hyundai and Kia...disposable cars 35 years ago.......are now building some of the most reliable cars on the planet...and desirability is on its way. Take a moment from sucking on your latte to read some road tests of the Stinger.......and Genesis is suddenly giving the ****'s fits with their excellent G70. They're not screwing around.

FYI, I can afford any car I want. I have a 2015 Genesis 5.0 that replaced a POS 2012 Mercedes CLS63. It's been flawless and is about to be replaced next week by a G90. My DD 2012 Genesis will be replaced next month by TT Stinger....and I don't hate myself. In fact, I love me! I'm awesome!

So.............you'e wrong again. And again. In fact, you're pretty much wrong on just about everything you say. Keep up the good work. You've officially qualified to join a few other forum buffoons in the not so exclusive "Idiots of the CF" club. You guys are great comedy relief.

Can't wait for the reveal and pricing. It's going to be a great day here. Well, probably not so much for you.
Atari_Prime (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't have a dog in the price fight nor any information on the price. The C8 looks ok. The C8R looks better. It will perform well, minus some likely first year issues (as virtually all first year Vettes have had). Glad you are enjoying your Kia.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:55 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Most models of the 996 generation of the Porsche 911 sports car were afflicted with a vulnerability in the intermediate shaft (IMS) that drove their engines' camshafts. Failure of the ball bearing of the IMS generally leads to varying degrees of engine failure. Generally, after IMS bearing failure, the engine internals are contaminated with debris from the failure that requires the engine to be stripped and rebuilt. In severe failure modes, cam timing may be affected, leading to valve-piston impact, necessitating replacement of the entire engine
Ok,
The P car is a total sales disaster and piece of garbage...Nobody wants them ,And their future looks not so promising .
Old 12-11-2018, 05:20 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Most models of the 996 generation of the Porsche 911 sports car were afflicted with a vulnerability in the intermediate shaft (IMS) that drove their engines' camshafts. Failure of the ball bearing of the IMS gene rally leads to varying degrees of engine failure. Generally, after IMS bearing failure, the engine internals are contaminated with debris from the failure that requires the engine to be stripped and rebuilt. In severe failure modes, cam timing may be affected, leading to valve-piston impact, necessitating replacement of the entire engine
Yes, a car model from 1998-2004 with an issue Porsche addressed (installed affected engines with new units under warranty).

But regardless, why are you focused on a car model that is at best 15 years old? I'll answer, you do lousy research or like to try to slant things in your favor. Sorry, you lose - Again.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MagRedConv
Yes, a car model from 1998-2004 with an issue Porsche addressed (installed affected engines with new units under warranty).

But regardless, why are you focused on a car model that is at best 15 years old?
Maybe you didn't read what Mr. pietro said: "Deliver on quality like Porsche has for almost 20 years,"

You might want to take a remedial reading course.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:42 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pietro c7

Ok,
The P car is a total sales disaster and piece of garbage...Nobody wants them ,And their future looks not so promising .

Can't argue with that! Google Porsche 911 problems and scroll down the page to the video "This Man's Porsche is a Total Disaster -- Digg"

Very enlightening.

Last edited by PCMIII; 12-11-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:56 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

How about the 911 991-1 when 5 of them burned down and Porsche confiscated all 785 cars that were already in owners hands and took them away and swapped out the engines. It was a worldwide PR nightmare for Porsche. The Rennlist thread went over a thousand pages if I remember correctly. I read most of it and it was a disaster for Porsche.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/p...es-119675.html
Old 12-11-2018, 06:17 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
How about the 911 991-1 when 5 of them burned down and Porsche confiscated all 785 cars that were already in owners hands and took them away and swapped out the engines. It was a worldwide PR nightmare for Porsche. The Rennlist thread went over a thousand pages if I remember correctly. I read most of it and it was a disaster for Porsche.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/p...es-119675.html
It's not possible for an automaker to confiscate cars already in the owner's hands. They may have offered a fix and if ignored they would attempt to disclaim liability, but once you bought it you get to do what you want with it.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:32 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
It's not possible for an automaker to confiscate cars already in the owner's hands. They may have offered a fix and if ignored they would attempt to disclaim liability, but once you bought it you get to do what you want with it.
No, they actually took them back and swapped out every engine with that condition. They gave loaners but still, it was a PR disaster. And now they have taken that massive thread off their forum. GONE GONE GONE
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gine-warranty/

Last edited by skank; 12-11-2018 at 06:39 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 06:58 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,314 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I know what the NSX costs.
I know what the Audi R8 costs.
I know that a Cayman can easily cost over $100K.
I know what a McLaren 570s costs.

Every high performance sports car on the market costs a lot of money, but the dreamers here think that the ME Corvette will be much cheaper.
and none of those are high volume cars produced by a manufacturer like GM..
jcsperson (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 07:36 PM
ecmoney775
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
No, they actually took them back and swapped out every engine with that condition. They gave loaners but still, it was a PR disaster. And now they have taken that massive thread off their forum. GONE GONE GONE
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gine-warranty/

It was the GT3 only in 2014..Yes a PR disaster is pretty true, however every single owner got a loaner delivered and theyre car towed to the dealer. They replaced every single engine and they are 50k dollars a pop. Only a few had failures at that point..I look at that as a company I will support forever. Every one makes mistakes, it's how you handle it. I myself waited and got the 2015 GT3 and still similar engine, no failures yet.
ByByBMW (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 08:48 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Can't wait for the reveal and pricing. It's going to be a great day here. Well, probably not so much for you.
I suspect there will be some new log-in names and avatars.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:18 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ecmoney775
It was the GT3 only in 2014..Yes a PR disaster is pretty true, however every single owner got a loaner delivered and theyre car towed to the dealer. They replaced every single engine and they are 50k dollars a pop. Only a few had failures at that point..I look at that as a company I will support forever. Every one makes mistakes, it's how you handle it. I myself waited and got the 2015 GT3 and still similar engine, no failures yet.
In addition to replacing all the engines and supplying loaners, Porsche increased the warrantee on the non-affected GT3 engines. Did GM do anything for all the 2015-2016 Z06s that overheat?? No nothing. They made changes for 2017 but nothing for the previous Z06 "track capable" cars that overheat.
Can't believe people use a couple GT3s that had problem THAT WAS ADDRESSED by Porsche as an example of them being bad.

Last edited by mjcourt; 12-11-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:53 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mjcourt

In addition to replacing all the engines and supplying loaners, Porsche increased the warrantee on the non-affected GT3 engines. Did GM do anything for all the 2015-2016 Z06s that overheat?? No nothing. They made changes for 2017 but nothing for the previous Z06 "track capable" cars that overheat.
Can't believe people use a couple GT3s that had problem THAT WAS ADDRESSED by Porsche as an example of them being bad.
Porsche actually had physical damage where Corvette only pulled protective timing. No comparison there. And they gave retro kits that were available for anybody that wanted to change up. Nice try! Porsche had a massive PR meltdown where Corvette controlled it with a available retrofit. No comparison !!
ArmchairArchitect (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:10 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ecmoney775
This is the correct truth. They actually picked up all 785 cars on trailers and given loaners. You are lucky that Porsche gave you the 10 year warranty as most Europeans were thanking the American backlash for their resolution with Porsche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama GT4
Warranty repair charges for the two replacement engines: $80,460
I am surprised that a full replacement with labor is only $40,000.

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 12-11-2018, 11:15 PM
Anton Chigurh
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

$170k for a car with WalMart level of customer service GM must be joking......

Hopefully when they go bankrupt next time the U.S. taxpayers won't have to bail them out
Old 12-11-2018, 11:38 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh
$170k for a car with WalMart level of customer service GM must be joking......

Hopefully when they go bankrupt next time the U.S. taxpayers won't have to bail them out
Do you understand quality standards vs durability standards? Two totally different parameters.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:42 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Alfa Romeo 4C is also mid-engine and priced like a base C7
which will no longer be for sale in 2019 in north america since sales were so poor. So if you want one, grab one cause no more are coming.

Last edited by tcweidner; 12-11-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed