Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by tcweidner
Sales GM loses? I'm guessing they are thinking Camaros ZL1 pick up the sales in that range. Americans care about Horsepower, 0 to 60, and quarter mile times. Top end Camaros are putting up nice numbers since they are basically using the 650 hp supercharged corvette z06.

Gets great reviews
https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/camaro-zl1

so if GM was going to keep the corvette in its old price point, what is the point of the ZL1 Camaro?

If I were a year 1 c8 buyer I would get ready for a bump in price, but you're going to get a bump performance too. Hell 89k or so for a base ME supercar is still a bargain.
Great reviews...but substantially lagging in sales.

The Camaro is not a replacement for the Corvette in any buyers eyes no matter what engine is stuffed in it. The Challenger Demon has over 850HP from the factory...but is not typically cross shopped with a Corvette because the cars serve completely different purposes.

I appreciate just how capable the Camaro ZL1 1LE is but I'd take a 450Hp Grand Sport over it every day of the week and never care that the ZL1 is technically faster because it is just a jumped up Camaro.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:30 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Great reviews...but substantially lagging in sales.
because corvette and high end camaro occupy the same price point currently. If you look at your car history, Camaro was never allowed to approach the corvette in engine packages etc, right now they are sharing the same top end package. Camaro was never branded to compete directly with corvette, yet right now at the 60-70k price points it is. Why? its pretty obvious,it's because corvette is about to be bumped up.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It was on the C7 by a wide margin, and 3LT had a very low take rate. So much for the theory that the majority is clamoring for nicer interiors. It's actually a very tiny and very noisy minority.

It works both ways. There's no credible info that it will start over $100K. It doesn't matter if that's a good deal compared to Ferrari and Porsches. The vast majority of folks simply cannot afford or will not pay that much for a toy. 70% of Corvette buyers paid under $80K.

The argument against is simply that it defies logic that the GM Board would approve a pricing strategy that would cut sales by 2/3rds or more. It also defies logic that GM would offer TWO, 2-seat sports cars. Even ZERV is not predicting dual FE and ME production.

And BTW, you say ZERV has been right about "a LOT of things." If you're talking about the interior, well maybe, but I can't think of anything else yet.
Sorry...I know you are on a roll... but just to set the record factually right on the 1LT and 70% less than 80K...with the sales numbers from GM:

1. https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...te-model-year/

That means that 18.1% of ALL Corvette sales are the base model coupes with the base trim package.
If 18.1% of ALL corvettes sales are the base model coupes with base trim package then it reasons that 81.9% are not.
And since 81.9% are not base model coupes with base trim and there is nothing cheaper and lesser than it reasons that 81.9% is higher and more expensive than that

OR!?

Last edited by Telepierre; 01-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

I am perfectly fine with the base starting at about $75K-$80K. And I think that is where it will start. I think the majority of the people that will complain about the $20K increase from the C7 base is C7 owners, and I think they are forgetting that they have a car to trade in, which will significantly offset the cost. Hopefully they will look at it from that perspective.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
I am perfectly fine with the base starting at about $75K-$80K. And I think that is where it will start. I think the majority of the people that will complain about the $20K increase from the C7 base is C7 owners, and I think they are forgetting that they have a car to trade in, which will significantly offset the cost. Hopefully they will look at it from that perspective.
That's the way I'll be looking at it.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
That's the way I'll be looking at it.
Good, that's one. Now for the other tens of thousands
Old 01-12-2019, 05:45 PM
tcweidner
Racer

they have a car to trade in
if the c8 is in high demand and supplies are low, better bring some lube, you will need it.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:46 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

I'll just state this. IF and that's a big IF, they are trying to raise prices and think guys who previously bought the a Corvette will be fine with moving over to a Camaro, they are dead wrong.

I could care less which ones are out now that can out perform my Z51.

I have a feeling many guys would agree with me.

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 01-12-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:53 PM
tcweidner
Racer

IF, they are trying to raise prices and think guys who previously bought the a Corvette will be fine with moving over to a Camaro, they are dead wrong.
No they are thinking you're gonna pony up another 20k+ to stay with corvette since they are jumping to a higher performance ME. And they are thinking and they are seeing other american muscle heads are already willing to pay for 650-850 hp cars so they can bump up their camaro brand to 65k to 75k. Makes sense..

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-12-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I don't think so . . .
Old 01-12-2019, 06:03 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't think so . . .
well the Camaro ZL1 already exist, already has the top corvette engine package in it, and is now squarely in the middle of corvettes price points. Something they have not allowed in 50 years. So we will see , it'll be interesting. Hell I would love to see a 65k ME base C8, I just wouldnt bet on it.

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-12-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:08 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

Yes the first few c8s to hit dealers will probably have that 100k mark up haha. Two years later 20% off sticker price.

Sure the C8 zr1 could cost 169k with eletrelectric assist motors.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RegnaR
Yes the first few c8s to hit dealers will probably have that 100k mark up haha. Two years later 20% off sticker price.

Sure the C8 zr1 could cost 169k with eletrelectric assist motors.
Lol, base C8, $69,900 plus $100k dealer market adjustment and there ya go!

PC
Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
A lot of people are saying that the market for C7s is saturated because the sales are dropping. My take is that C7 sales are down because of all the C8 rumors. People are putting off their Corvette purchase to see what the C8 will be.

If the Corvette buyer likes the C8 and the price is right then they will buy one. But if the buyers do not like the style and/or price of the C8 then there will be a huge run on the leftover C7s.

If there were no rumors of a C8, then C7 sales would still be humming along quite nicely.
I think you over estimate the percentage of Corvette buyers that are well enough informed to even know that the c8 is on its way.

I agree many of us who are on our 10th or 15th Corvette and spend time on CF are in the know and as repeat buyers are holding off to see what the C8 offers.

If the C8 is priced anywhere close to the C7 say within 20k the C7 is dead.

The driving dynamics of a v8 powered DCT mid engine Corvette are night and day more exciting to drive.

I can tell you my 15 458 is similar to my 16 Callaway SC757 In wheel base and weight but feels vastly smaller and far more nimble compared to the Vette.

I only hope that we don't have to wait to be able to select some other engine than a upgraded LT1.

I am thinking maybe the Spyder will intro with the 4.2 DOHC tt as that would help justify a 15 or 20k spread from a base coupe.

I have no knowledge just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,200 Likes on 592 Posts

Maybe I am in the minority that would never want a Camaro no matter how they offer it or price it. In current form it handle's well and you get good performance for the dollar but I just don't care for the overall driving experience. While I think the Camaro is the better car on the track the Mustang for me is hands down the better car for the road. I just cannot get myself to own a Ford Mustang either and that was my wife's car when we were dating. Maybe I'm just past the cars of my youth. As good as they have gotten, I just want something better....
Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960

If the C8 is priced anywhere close to the C7 say within 20k the C7 is dead.

The driving dynamics of a v8 powered DCT mid engine Corvette are night and day more exciting to drive.
C7 values are going to enter a free-fall if the pricing speculation and technical specifications of the C8 are correct.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
Maybe I am in the minority that would never want a Camaro no matter how they offer it or price it.
Wouldn't own one! Rented a Vert once, returned in the next day for a Chrysler! Looks OK from the outside but you sit in a hole.

Now a '67 adding a real tubbed chassis and a 572 crate motor.... could replace my '34 street rod!

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 01-12-2019, 11:00 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

I think far fewer people cross shop high end Camaros and base Corvettes than cross shop high end Camaros with high end Challengers, Chargers, and Mustangs. Camaro can't not compete with the likes of GT350s and Redeyes if it doesn't want to get canned again.

The Corvette is a different class of car. Sure, I'm sure some waver between the two, but I think high priced Camaros exist to keep Camaro buyers from defecting to more performance four seaters, than to allow the Corvette to go up in price.

And in any case, if you think that GM would make a decision outside of historical precedence in bumping the Corvette way up in price, why would allowing the Camaro top line to match the base Corvette be more unrealistic?

Last edited by jefnvk; 01-12-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:23 PM
tcweidner
Racer

i dont think the are going to bump the corvette way up, just up.. 80 to 89 k base c8 looks to fill a market position and price point not served right now. Things go up in price all the time.

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-12-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:53 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

GM has come out and stated that their performance division is no longer barred from sharing components in the quest to make the ultimate iteration of that car.

It has nothing to do with arbitrarily "bumping" the price of the Vette up...seriously who cross shops Camaros and Corvettes that isn't looking at it from a purely track car perspective? The highest optioned Camaro ZL1 1LE still retains the Camaro interior. The lowest priced C7 has a nicer interior than any Camaro.
I never considered the Camaro when I bought my Corvette. It just wasn't on my radar as all that desirable, it was cool but not Corvette cool. I cross shopped the Viper GTS, the Alfa 4C, the Porsche Cayman R, a 911 Carrara, and a used Gallardo. Camaros are just too pedestrian in comparison to actual sports cars. The Alfa was hilariously fun to drive but I immediately knew it would be hard to live with. The Porsche Cayman R was a riot, but simply too much money since I could have gotten a decent 911 C4S at that price, which was a beautiful car to drive, and I could see life owning one being pretty easy, but the price was on the very limit of my budget. The Gallardo suffered the same fate due to cost...and that I really didn't like the Gallardo look. This left the Viper and Vette and the winner was chosen because of the transmission...I got the 8 speed auto so my lovely wife could enjoy it too.

Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed