Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 03:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
And you continually keep trying to compare Porsche the brand w/ Corvette a model of Chevrolet. Chevrolet is the appropriate comparison to Porsche with a model lineup quite similar in many ways and actually much broader. Chevy has many different models and platforms. With an ME-only Corvette platform with sub-models at various price ranges, Chevrolet would still offer a high performance FE in the Camaro.

Now you can say there are many models of Corvettes, but the same is true with the 911 with a price range from $100-250K.
I am not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 911 and the Cayman/Boxster are Porsche MODELS, just as the Corvette is a Chevrolet MODEL.

I am comparing the 911 and the Cayman to the Corvette, I m not comparing the entire Porsche lineup against the entire Porsche lineup.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

OK, then why not compare the Camaro and Corvette as two different models of Chevrolet to the Cayman/Boxter and 911, two different models of Porsche?

What the hell is your point?
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I won't argue with two different platforms being an option. I disagree with two different platforms being both branded as Corvettes. The Boxster is not a 911 light, its a Boxster.

The only company I can think of that has done anything remotely like that recently is the Wrangler when the JLs came out, and that was more due to unfulfilled sales orders and the fact those things print money for Jeep. Even then, it was only a few months of overlap
The boxster is not a 911 light? Well...it depends on how we define that. If sharing parts is your definition, they share some but not enough to call it a lot. So we are left with the perception comparisons. They look a lot alike, one is smaller than the other, lighter, less hp, and cheaper. By this comparison it could easily be thought of as a 911 light. But the most important area is the public perception. Few go to Porsche wanting a Boxster because it is the best car for them. No, instead they get a Boxster because they couldn't otherwise afford a 911 but still want a speedy Porsche. In that sense, the Boxster is very much a 911 light. In the same avenue as the 80s and 90s Camaros and Firebirds were light versions of Corvettes. People bought those, not because they wanted them, but because it was the closest they could get to Corvette. Same for the Porsche 944 v 928, DB9 v. Vanquish, Gallardo v. Murcielago, 570S v. P1, 335i v. M3, Challenger/Charger v. Viper, California v. 458, etc.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

OK, then why not compare the Camaro and Corvette as two different models of Chevrolet to the Cayman/Boxter and 911, two different models of Porsche?

What the hell is your point?
My point is that Porsche has two different platforms for their two different sports cars, thus Chevrolet could also have two different platforms.

Porsche has the 911 and the 718 and Chevrolet could have the Corvette and the "Zora".

The 911 has the rear engine platform and the 718 has the mid-engine platform.

The 911 covers the high end pricing and the 718 covers the low end pricing.

And the Corvette has the front engine platform and the Zora(for lack of a better name) has the mid engine platform.

The Corvette covers the low end pricing and the Zora covers the high end pricing.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-14-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:39 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by envisi0n91
Agreed. I think this will not be a Corvette but it'll be like a Ford GT competitor. At least that's what I still hope.
LOL . . . no need to compete with a car that is "unobtainium." Try to buy one.

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My point is that Porsche has two different platforms for their two different sports cars, thus Chevrolet could also have two different platforms.

Porsche has the 911 and the 718 and Chevrolet could have the Corvette and the "Zora".

And the Corvette has the front engine platform and the Zora(for lack of a better name) has the mid engine platform.

The Corvette covers the low end pricing and the Zora covers the high end pricing.
LOL . . . never mind, Joe, and Chevrolet right now has two different platforms for two different "sporty" cars capable of similar lap times on the world's great race tracks covering both low- and high-end pricing.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-14-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

In 1959 I "stuffed" a Chevy engine into a 1953 Ford 2 door sedan( D/Gas). It was fast.
In 1961, I "stuffed" a Chevy engine into a 1932 ford 3 window coupe(A/Gas). It was even faster.
In 1968 I "stuffed" a 427 Chevy engine into a 1964 Malibu SS 2 door hardtop(street fighter). It was fast, but not as fast as my '32 A gasser.
I installed the Olds in 1959 as well. Could get those and parts in the junk yard. A Chevy V8 was expensive! Had the '50 Olds bored 1/8 inches for '55 pistons, 324 cid! Recall the machine shop saying you'll be in the water jacket. "Hot Rod" said it could be done (no UT at the time.) They said fine but pay up front and if we hit a water jacket, it's yours. I agreed! No one talked about core shift and it was fine! That increased compression as well and added a 3/4 cam as they were called "in-the-day!"

Side Bar
Your gasser reminded me of the flathead that came in my Ford. The fellow I bought it from had a 3 X 2 manifold in the trunk (talk about being over carbureted) with 3 old Stromberg '97 carbs. Even then they were considered old by the automotive supply house I used. I decided to trade those in for rebuilt '94s. As I was "discussing their great value" with one of the parts shop owner's, who I knew, he was not willing to give me credit for those antiques! A fellow walked in who had a '34 gasser with a blown Caddy! I knew him from going to the drag races but he didn't know me. He looked at the '97's and overheard our "discussion" and said, I'll give the kid the $5/each trade in! $15 dollars was a lot of money to me at the time!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-14-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:00 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I am with you on this one Joe and rationally... is the cost and risk of trying really that high?!

Memo to self. IF they do it I'll check the Zora trunk first and then head for a black low wing 7.5 ZR1... if I survive wifey...:-)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:08 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

You should do a little research on "supply chain" and "economy of scale" in mass production. In my world, you can order 100 airplanes at $500M each or 1000 airplanes at $250M each.

Porsche also benefits from R&D costs written off decades ago on the Boxster/Cayman and 911 platforms. That's one huge advantage of sticking with the same basic models for decades. GM's strategy for Corvette is to significantly undercut Porsche and every other performance sports car on price.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-14-2019 at 05:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:35 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
The boxster is not a 911 light? Well...it depends on how we define that. If sharing parts is your definition, they share some but not enough to call it a lot. So we are left with the perception comparisons. They look a lot alike, one is smaller than the other, lighter, less hp, and cheaper. By this comparison it could easily be thought of as a 911 light. But the most important area is the public perception. Few go to Porsche wanting a Boxster because it is the best car for them. No, instead they get a Boxster because they couldn't otherwise afford a 911 but still want a speedy Porsche. In that sense, the Boxster is very much a 911 light. In the same avenue as the 80s and 90s Camaros and Firebirds were light versions of Corvettes. People bought those, not because they wanted them, but because it was the closest they could get to Corvette. Same for the Porsche 944 v 928, DB9 v. Vanquish, Gallardo v. Murcielago, 570S v. P1, 335i v. M3, Challenger/Charger v. Viper, California v. 458, etc.
So much wrong here. But, let's just start with the most obvious. The Boxster is a smaller, more entry level (and interestingly 2 seat) SPORTS CAR that folks who have a certain SPORTS CAR budget, and love 911's, might well buy if the Boxster's "Porscheness" really ticks their boxes. Maybe in the '80's and '90's a few misguided souls who wanted, but could not afford, a Vette bought the bigger, heavier, 4-seat PONY CAR -- but if you wanted what a Vette delivered, and could not afford one, the SMALLER, LIGHTER version came from Japan. Period. (Unless the only thing you cared about was the engine and a few bits of switchgear.) Today, the smaller, lighter version really does not exist -- but in the price range I would say the Miata is more the "smaller, lighter, cheaper" Vette than a non-V8 Camaro would be.

OK, I'll bite again. Can you imagine anybody wanting a VIPER, but falling $$$ short, instead choosing the gigantic Challenger/Charger, which is a (2/4 door) muscle car -- and a completely different breed? They probably would instead buy a Vette (and then discover equivalent performance and a ton more livability -- nice consolation prize!)

I can only conclude your analogies are driven buy some notion that buyers are mostly driven by badge loyalty vs. driving experience. That was quite true in the '50's, less so in the '60's and '70's, and I think pretty rare today.

I know I am not alone in saying I love Vettes, would move mountains to get the Vette I can afford, but would NEVER, EVER buy a pony car Camaro just to have a Chevy with a few parts in common with a Vette..

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 01-14-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73

Nice looking sports coupe, but it is not a pony car.
Why do you say that? If they put a Camaro badge and a bow tie on it, and cut way back on the chrome, why wouldn't it be?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:40 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

This thread has wandered into the arcane world of economics and pricing.

There is something economists call "Price elasticity" which is how markets respond to changes in price... as one economist famously said "everybody's a millionaire when buying a newspaper"

The lobster and diamond industries and yes our friends at Porsche and Ferrari have made an art form from the manipulation of supply to maximize profits... and profits all all companies care about.

For a niche product like Corvette, demand is limited at any price, so where is the "sweet-spot"

For simplicity (ignoring fixed cost amortization to make the math easy), assume the following:

1. Total market for Corvettes is 50K units/yr
2. Cost per unit is $40K
3. At $60K I can sell 30K units for a margin of $600M
4. At $70K I can sell 25K units for a margin of $750M
5. At $80K I can sell 20K units for a margin of $800M
6. At $40K i can clear the market at 50K unit and $0 margin

You are the boss... what do you do?

Sure, more volume means better supplier pricing, but also more capacity, and logistic costs... more volume also means I need to meet broader market needs which adds development cost and complexity... volume alone is not a free ride.
Telepierre (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Why do you say that? If they put a Camaro badge and a bow tie on it, and cut way back on the chrome, why wouldn't it be?
Yes, I'm envisioning a different "Camaro" than what is produced today.

Originally Posted by jcp911s
This thread has wandered into the arcane world of economics and pricing.

There is something economists call "Price elasticity" which is how markets respond to changes in price... as one economist famously said "everybody's a millionaire when buying a newspaper"

The lobster and diamond industries and yes our friends at Porsche and Ferrari have made an art form from the manipulation of supply to maximize profits... and profits all all companies care about.

For a niche product like Corvette, demand is limited at any price, so where is the "sweet-spot"

For simplicity (ignoring fixed cost amortization to make the math easy), assume the following:

1. Total market for Corvettes is 50K units/yr
2. Cost per unit is $40K
3. At $60K I can sell 30K units for a margin of $600M
4. At $70K I can sell 25K units for a margin of $750M
5. At $80K I can sell 20K units for a margin of $800M
6. At $40K i can clear the market at 50K unit and $0 margin

You are the boss... what do you do?

Sure, more volume means better supplier pricing, but also more capacity, and logistic costs... more volume also means I need to meet broader market needs which adds development cost and complexity... volume alone is not a free ride.
Good post, and much of what you say is certainly true. However, your margin examples are off. Using the identical platform with different bolt-on components, GM is selling C7s with MSRPs ranging between $55-$150K. The margin on the high end is substantially better than the margin on the low end. I also suspect the margin on the low end is better than your example.

By sticking with the same platform across a broad range of prices, the cost per unit gets lower and lower. The more platforms mass-produced, the cheaper the cost per unit gets, and the greater the margin for all price points.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-14-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:27 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by TurboJunky
I think GM wants to make a statement. Pretty hard to do it with a base car, especially if its slower than the current ZR1. I think this car will blow away all of our expectations and we won't be arguing that price is stupid, but that maybe its "too cheap"
Just look at recent Corvette history. The 2014 Stingray was slower than a 2013 Z06.

We know the drill. Chevrolet has Corvette marketing down to a science:
1. Introduce a new model
2. Add the Z06 a year later
3. Add the Grand Sport some time after that
4. Close out the generation with the ZR1
JerryU (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 06:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

BUT, the 2014 base Stingray was getting perilously close to a 2013 Z06. The base has gotten better in every succeeding generation.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-14-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:39 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

BUT, the 2014 base Stingray was getting perilously close to a 2013 Z06. The base has gotten better in every succeeding generation.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. M C7 is a 2014 base and I have also driven a C6 Z06. The C6 Z06 was a substantially higher performing car.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:28 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Yes, I'm envisioning a different "Camaro" than what is produced today.

Good post, and much of what you say is certainly true. However, your margin examples are off. Using the identical platform with different bolt-on components, GM is selling C7s with MSRPs ranging between $55-$150K. The margin on the high end is substantially better than the margin on the low end. I also suspect the margin on the low end is better than your example.

By sticking with the same platform across a broad range of prices, the cost per unit gets lower and lower. The more platforms mass-produced, the cheaper the cost per unit gets, and the greater the margin for all price points.
Absolutely. Just trying to keep it under 50 pages... the real fun begins in the real world where nobody actually knows what all these numbers are... N-dimensional optimization of wildly variable unknown SWAGs. I began my career doing cost of service studies at AT&T (yeah, THAT AT&T), and learned that when someone asks "what does it cost" the only honest answer is "what do you want it to cost?"
Foosh (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

What if the sales annually were around 18,000 FE Corvettes(with new body panels to make it a "new" C8 generation). at a starting MSRP of $60K and then 10,000 ME Corvettes with a starting MSRP of $85K?
Totally agree.......Makes more sense to have 2 different versions covering the price spectrum ......as well as limiting ME numbers so heavy discounting is no longer needed.

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 01-14-2019, 09:01 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

While the US sales represents approximately 90% of corvette sales, this is not true of Porsche.

Worldwide sales in 2017 of the Porsche models.

Boxster/Cayman--------------------25,114
911-------------------------------------32,197
Panamera----------------------------37,605
Cayenne------------------------------63,913
Macan---------------------------------97,202

Notice that Porsche sold quite a bit fewer sedans(Panamera at 37,605) than they did sports cars(911/Boxster/Cayman at 57,311) worldwide.

I don't believe that the number of Corvettes sold come anywhere close to the number of SUV's, CUV's, sedans etc sold by GM.

I think that GM already has the sales of SUV's/CUV's/Sedans pretty well covered. Adding another SUV etc with a Corvette badge wouldn't necessarily increase GM's sales numbers, as those that would buy a Corvette SUV are already buying GM's SUV's. I don't see where rebadging an existing GM SUV with a Corvette badge would steal any SUV business from Porsche.
To add to the above, Porsche has been working for decades on it's international dealer and sales network. They sell basically the same models worldwide. GM makes little or no effort to sell it's US models overseas. It sold Opel and Vauxhall to Peugeot, leaving it essentially without an EU dealer network. It's efforts in China are joint ventures w/ Chinese companies where they essentially sell Chinese-only versions of various vehicles.

For GM to be a serious about selling Corvettes internationally, it would require quite an investment in both time and capital to build it. I don't see that happening at this point in time.
Right, Porsche does have a great international dealer network. That is their model. Problem is that they basicly do not sale any cars in their home country.

In 2017 they sold 246,375 vehicles world wide. At home they only sold 28,317 units. All the others (218,058) were export. You would assume that there would be a Porsche in every garage in Germany but it appears that their car are for the rest of the world and not for local consumption.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/fallbac...ten-14713.html
Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

I really do not know why we are still talking about this, let alone going so in depth. GM makes mistakes, but they are not stupid. They are not going to change a formula that has worked for over 65 years. They are not going to increase the price 300%. If this ME car is the C8, it will not start a penny above $66K. If this ME car is another model in the Corvette lineup, and the actual C8 is a FE car that is the successor to the C7, then this ME car will not start a penny above $85K. Emd of discussion. Can we move on now?
Zaro Tundov (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
I really do not know why we are still talking about this, let alone going so in depth. GM makes mistakes, but they are not stupid. They are not going to change a formula that has worked for over 65 years. They are not going to increase the price 300%. If this ME car is the C8, it will not start a penny above $66K. If this ME car is another model in the Corvette lineup, and the actual C8 is a FE car that is the successor to the C7, then this ME car will not start a penny above $85K. Emd of discussion. Can we move on now?
You want this to go away, then stop feeding the fire.

Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed