C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Old 01-16-2019, 08:06 PM
DaveFerrari458
CF Senior Member

Liked 185 Times in 132 Posts

^^^ The Corvette parked next to a Cayman looks like it's twice the money! If the Cayman was half the price of the Corvette I still wouldn't buy one! It looks like it belongs in the same class as a Nissan Z car! And Caymans can be had with discounts as well. I don't know why people think Porsche's are not discounted? You're going to the wrong dealer. I know people who have gotten massive discount on 911 Turbo Cab and the Panemara so I'm sure the lowly Cayman can be had with big discounts as well. Maybe it's a regional thing just like a lot of LA dealers were not discounting the Corvette but East Coast dealers were. Maybe it's vice-versa?

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 01-16-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:14 PM
JEFFWC8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerryU View Post
You may be happy with a C8 close to $100,000 but the majority of folks buying Corvettes would not! I recall Tadge comment about what the C7 sales had to be or it would be the end of the Corvette! C6 sales had been, 11,600 in 2012, 13,500 in 2011, 12,000 in 2010! The Corvette was not viable at those leverls.

Looking at the pics of the cars in Germany, the brakes, the 305 rear tire size and the small rear spoiler- this is NOT a Ford GT killer. It will be priced closer to the C7, IMO. Now there could well be a "poor mans" Ford GT killer version with bigger carbon brakes, larger tires and a 650 hp engine. The larger size intercoolers needed, large rads, bigger coolers for the trans and engine oil would require more room and probably larger rear fenders etc. That version could well cost ~$150,000, but that is NOT want was in Germany.

We'll soon see!
Apologize if my post was unclear. I am not looking to spend "close to $100,000" if I don't have to. I am also not looking to the C8 to be a "Ford GT killer." On the flip side I'm also hoping it is not intended to simply be a 918 S killer either. If that's the case I would simply purchase a 918 and no need to wait. To be clear I am not knocking the 918 either as it is one fine driving ME car but it is missing something for me specifically since the one I priced out was $92,000 nicely equipped.

I have experience with Italian cars and as such prefer to use them as the benchmark for this car. Cars I would prefer the new ME Vette to conquer would be lightly used versions that are in the $150 - $275K range. Perhaps that's asking too much but I am basing my expectations on what the C7 has already accomplished. While I am not personally interested in an FE Vette I think this car punches at a multiple above it's price band. This is why I am willing to wait a bit longer for what will hopefully be a remarkable ME car that will deliver and make me want to spend whatever GM is asking. If that is significantly below $100K then it will be well worth the wait.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 PM
JEFFWC8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerryU View Post
You may be happy with a C8 close to $100,000 but the majority of folks buying Corvettes would not! I recall Tadge comment about what the C7 sales had to be or it would be the end of the Corvette! C6 sales had been, 11,600 in 2012, 13,500 in 2011, 12,000 in 2010! The Corvette was not viable at those leverls.

Looking at the pics of the cars in Germany, the brakes, the 305 rear tire size and the small rear spoiler- this is NOT a Ford GT killer. It will be priced closer to the C7, IMO. Now there could well be a "poor mans" Ford GT killer version with bigger carbon brakes, larger tires and a 650 hp engine. The larger size intercoolers needed, large rads, bigger coolers for the trans and engine oil would require more room and probably larger rear fenders etc. That version could well cost ~$150,000, but that is NOT want was in Germany.

We'll soon see!
Apologize if my post was unclear. I am not looking to spend "close to $100,000" if I don't have to. I am also not looking to the C8 to be a "Ford GT killer." On the flip side I'm also hoping it is not intended to simply be a 918 S killer either. If that's the case I would simply purchase a 918 and no need to wait. To be clear I am not knocking the 918 either as it is one fine driving ME car but it is missing something for me specifically since the one I priced out was $92,000 nicely equipped.

I have experience with Italian cars and as such prefer to use them as the benchmark for this car. Cars I would prefer the new ME Vette to conquer would be lightly used versions that are in the $150 - $275K range. Perhaps that's asking too much but I am basing my expectations on what the C7 has already accomplished. While I am not personally interested in an FE Vette I think this car punches at a multiple above it's price band. This is why I am willing to wait a bit longer for what will hopefully be a remarkable ME car that will deliver and make me want to spend whatever GM is asking. If that is significantly below $100K then it will be well worth the wait.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Quinten33
CF Senior Member

Liked 281 Times in 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458 View Post
^^^ The Corvette parked next to a Cayman looks like it's twice the money! If the Cayman was half the price of the Corvette I still wouldn't buy one! It looks like it belongs in the same class as a Nissan Z car! And Caymans can be had with discounts as well. I don't know why people think Porsche's are not discounted? You're going to the wrong dealer. I know people who have gotten massive discount on 911 Turbo Cab and the Panemara so I'm sure the lowly Cayman can be had with big discounts as well. Maybe it's a regional thing just like a lot of LA dealers were not discounting the Corvette but East Coast dealers were. Maybe it's vice-versa?
Yeah, Porscheís are definitely discounted. Thereís a 718 and a 718 GTS in my high school parking lot. Two seniors with better cars than any school employee. Itís ridiculous.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,111 Times in 879 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFFWC8 View Post
I have been under the impression the base will be the initial offering and will be under $100K. If the base starts at above that mark perhaps it could option up significantly more but I have a hard time believing this. I'm all in for a base C8 under the $100K mark. I might consider a higher price point even for a base model but depending just how capable the vehicle ends up being. I have considered used Italians but those cars at under $200K carry an ownership premium that keeps me from writing the check.
A new $100K list C8 base, will be had @ -20% off MSRP by the time I probably would be interested in one. My new 2017 Stingray $76K+ MSRP was bought in the low $60s out-the-door, after -20% discount. A $100K base C8 doesn't scare me away. What scares me away are exotic maintenance dollars. That's the only reason I'll likely stay with an American brand sports car. Value. Bang for the buck.

The following users liked this post: Skid Row Joe
Laguna Fred (01-22-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:17 PM
jcp911s
CF Senior Member

Liked 241 Times in 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33 View Post

Yeah, Porscheís are definitely discounted. Thereís a 718 and a 718 GTS in my high school parking lot. Two seniors with better cars than any school employee. Itís ridiculous.
An OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to believe that some spoiled rich kid's daddy might be able to buy a more expensive car than a school teacher.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: