Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No reveal in January

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 03:31 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks to fasttoys, learned that the new Porsche 911 reveal will be next November in LA, so GM realizes that the 2020 ME Corvette has got to be before then. Yes, little consolidation for all of us who were hoping it would have been in just three weeks at this LA Auto Show.

Imagine how many of us would have already gotten our airline tickets if it had been in just three weeks there.... Damn.

Last edited by elegant; 11-11-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:17 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

64 days and we will see who is right...

till we can each believe what we think will happen..

should be exciting
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
CorvetteBrent (11-12-2018), firstvettesoon (11-11-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 12:37 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

As another forum member wrote Saturday: "Within minutes, the C8 debut will be electronically relayed via news and YouTube around the globe via the Internet."

We'll ALL be on the information superhighway when and where the C8 debut happens. Regardless where we happen to be on Earth!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-12-2018 at 12:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 03:13 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I've dealt with a lot of dealers (service people) and they don't know jack most of the time. Salespeople? Depending on the topic they have some knowledge but only as it relates to future events the dealer has been briefed on such as a Mfr promo event, Mfr event where announcement on product plans are made, Mfr events where they reveal an upcoming model. If other dealers are saying they don't know, then the one you talked to doesn't know either.
The following 2 users liked this post by tcinla:
alienranch (11-13-2018), CorvetteBrent (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 03:32 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
I've dealt with a lot of dealers (service people) and they don't know jack most of the time. Salespeople? Depending on the topic they have some knowledge but only as it relates to future events the dealer has been briefed on such as a Mfr promo event, Mfr event where announcement on product plans are made, Mfr events where they reveal an upcoming model. If other dealers are saying they don't know, then the one you talked to doesn't know either.
I would agree with your 100%......generally speaking....I've run into sales people that could not tell the difference between a turbo and alternator (true).

In my state, a sales person can say anything verbally and its not enforceable as it related to vehicles contract. It has to be in writing and, in some cases, signed by the sales manager. I once bought a car and one of the pieces of paper I had to sign included that clause.

However, my sales person, I believe, knows a little more about the ME than the average sales person due to his position, location, and people he knows at GM. In any case, things could change. And nobody except for the senior managers at GM knows positively some of the details we all want to know about. Either GM is still working on them or GM hasn't approved yet for production.

Again, we will all find out when the details are released hopeful in early January. I already booked my flight.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

There are certain dealer personnel, who by virtue of their tremendous influence and importance to GM, do have access to what's going on because their opinions matter a great deal. Some dealer personnel have seen what is close to the final production car.

NYC has been leaked as the current plan, but that could change. There's nothing official on record.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-12-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

And I think the bit about wishful thinking and the more carefully crafted response on going thru the steps leading to green lights and go on production indicates a lot. "We" collectively, and even GM might like to do a first reveal or intro at Detroit, but it just may not be feasible. And maybe not for the reasons we think.

While other car mfrs. have had ME cars, GM has not (really, even with the Fiero). And with each successive gen of Corvette, they really do try to get the car "right-er" for the customers. More good stuff like power, better materials, etc. Again, while it's not rocket science, it is a lot of testing for parts compatibility, endurance, govt. regs, etc.

Not to mention new production methods and training existing employees probably with new lines and equipment to use. It's a big deal. And it just may take longer.

Plus, think of the expectation by "us"---after the intro, "we" want it in production in weeks, not months beyond six. (like 7 or 8 mos. after intro).

So, to me, it really is a timing issue---for them to get it right, and for us to expect it in a relatively short period of time after intro. jmo

Last edited by AORoads; 11-12-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 177 Likes on 104 Posts

Don't know how we supposedly got here!, ... Wasn't it CLEARLY stated and backed up that the reveal will be late March, early April at the NY Auto Show, as made known in the previous thread about a month ago!??? .... I know, I'm all in with the belief that New York will be the reveal location!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Stew, yes it was rather clearly stated (more accurately leaked) by authoritative sources it would be NYC. However, hope springs eternal in many.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 177 Likes on 104 Posts

Admittedly, the above pic was lifted from the previous related thread. People, .. be logical here. With the original Corvette being revealed in New York City, this total rebirth to the mid engine format makes perfect historical sense as well. But what REALLY makes sense is, ... This car's introduction/ with announcement of an affordable $70K base price, is most likely to FREEZE C7 sales immediately!!! Now, ask yourself ... Would GM rather have C7 sales grind to a halt in January 2019, with potential buyers waiting 9 months for the October '19 ME release, or would they rather have to endure a major C7 sales dropoff from April till October???
Old 11-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew24

Admittedly, the above pic was lifted from the previous related thread. People, .. be logical here. With the original Corvette being revealed in New York City, this total rebirth to the mid engine format makes perfect historical sense as well. But what REALLY makes sense is, ... This car's introduction/ with announcement of an affordable $70K base price, is most likely to FREEZE C7 sales immediately!!! Now, ask yourself ... Would GM rather have C7 sales grind to a halt in January 2019, with potential buyers waiting 9 months for the October '19 ME release, or would they rather have to endure a major C7 sales dropoff from April till October???
They do exactly that whenever they bring out a redesigned version of any car or truck. Launching the ME in March rather than January isn't going to make a damn bit of difference when it comes to selling the C7s currently stacked up on dealer lots.

It's also not going to change the fact that it'll take months for supply to catch up to demand, and for those ridiculous dealer markups to drop off. If someone wants a Corvette now they'll buy a discounted C7. If they want the ME car, then they're probably prepared to overpay or wait, regardless of when it's introduced.

Last edited by Jeff V.; 11-12-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

It really doesn't matter which dealership it is, I think the OP's timeline is correct.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:56 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

It would be nice were it (C8) ready for the annual Detroit Auto Show. The C7's showcasing release was EPIC !

. It got me re-interested in the 3+ decades of old blase' unperfected and unexciting Corvette series releases I endured since my bought new C3 42 years ago.....

.Chevrolet had better hold my attention and keep my interest up since I bought a new 2017 C7 last Fall. I'm in the buying mood, and a fantastic new C8, might be my next new Corvette.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 PM
hunter105
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter105 I have heard from my dealer and dealers were invited to a GM seminar about the C8 and nothing about the $169000 was mentioned pertaining to the C8. But a mid engine Cadillac with a solid convertible roof was mentioned. It was said to top out at the high $150000.The first C8'S rolling off the production line would be a large amount of 1LT' S. Also the Front engine C7 will continue to be built until 2020. After the release of the base cars Chevy will slowly start producing a 2LT and 3LT models. Then a GS and a Z06 model. Months ago there was a guy who said he knew a guy who was a GM engineer and he was told that the highest end mid engine would be a Cadillac, Also the car will be unveiled at the NY Auto show along with the Cadillac. Cadillac will also introduce us to its midengined Hybrid capable of producing 800 HP.

Quick Reply: No reveal in January