Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Delayed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:44 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
I wouldn't be completely shocked if it gets pushed back to a 2021 model released in '20, but still think there's a chance it comes out this time next year. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Apparently, building an ME is not just a matter of moving the engine 3 feet back and going for pizza and beer. Folks here who thought creating the ME would be simple and cheap to do, clearly don't understand engineering or physics. The forces that act on a ME car are completely different and that requires radical changes from a FE configuration. Creating Zora from scratch won't be cheap or easy, especially when its mission is to dominate tracks and reviews. Beating Porsche at its game is going to take time.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:49 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Does this mean all the BS C8 threads will end to?
The following users liked this post:
CorvettoBrando (11-28-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,218 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Yeah, they were going to be built by the workers that GM just announced they are laying off... the few who could read.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:10 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Apparently, building an ME is not just a matter of moving the engine 3 feet back and going for pizza and beer. Folks here who thought creating the ME would be simple and cheap to do, clearly don't understand engineering or physics. The forces that act on a ME car are completely different and that requires radical changes from a FE configuration. Creating Zora from scratch won't be cheap or easy, especially when its mission is to dominate tracks and reviews. Beating Porsche at its game is going to take time.
I think many of us who have a deposit waiting for the C8 release are starting to lose patience .

If there is no announcement by end of January I am going to pull the trigger on a 2020 911 to add to my gargage.

I have held off purchase as I am a die hard Corvette guy.

With that being said life is short and I have been holding off adding a additional toy as I am or should say was excited about a mid engine Corvette with a DOHC and DCT that would complete with the best in the world.

I live in FL so unlike some guys my driving season is year around. I was looking forward to a C8 mid engine.

In the next 2 month I will decide if I can wait until the fall of 2019 or go ahead and purchase a 911 in the spring of 2019.

I think there are lots of guys who are tired of waiting. GM may be more concerned with trying to sell the remaining C7 once the C8 is official?

But then again there are many on this forum that insist that they want the Corvette to remain a GT rather than a mid engine sports car.

I agree there are compromises to mid engine.
my 458 has very minimal storage so for r weekend getawaya my SC757 Callaway is the better choice.

Do I think regardless if GM announced the C8 there are still buyer for the C7. Expecially when the C7 sales are supported by Hugh incentive by GM.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:12 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

What would we do without social media.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:30 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I don't know how much GM actually makes on the sale of Corvettes especially when you factor in all the money they just put into the BG Assembly Plant. If the bean counters at GM start crunching numbers I wouldn't be shocked to see them start producing vehicles other than Corvette/Cadillac sports cars. It is one of the older assembly plants in GM's arsenal but it has just been upgraded so it shouldn't be on any closure list. Even if all the C8 development tasks are complete GM could decide to delay its introduction but surely they would continue producing C7s as long as the demand is there. It would be nice if GM would just go ahead and officially announce what the heck they are going to do.
tooold2race (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:34 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Gary
What would we do without social media.
I don't know about the social media chatter, but the fact that they've committed the C7R to the full IMSA season says the C8 likely won't be sold anytime before Oct 2019. Now, would they debut the C8 during the season? That may not happen either.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:41 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Exactly right. The boycott drumbeat is building - admittedly its counter productive because it will hurt GM workers further. But the politics of this are going to poison part of the customer pool to other GM products. Barra will be gone in 6 months.
Boycott drumbeat? GM sold 9.6 million units last year. They have 180,000 employees and getting rid of 15,000, including a whole lot of management. They are axing cars that don't sell well. If people aren't buying them, they're not part of the customer base. By and large those cars won't be missed. They are already being boycotted by the customers. Mary Barra will be "gone in six months." I love these kinds of predictions.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:44 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I don't know how much GM actually makes on the sale of Corvettes especially when you factor in all the money they just put into the BG Assembly Plant. If the bean counters at GM start crunching numbers I wouldn't be shocked to see them start producing vehicles other than Corvette/Cadillac sports cars. It is one of the older assembly plants in GM's arsenal but it has just been upgraded so it shouldn't be on any closure list. Even if all the C8 development tasks are complete GM could decide to delay its introduction but surely they would continue producing C7s as long as the demand is there. It would be nice if GM would just go ahead and officially announce what the heck they are going to do.
Bowling Green Assembly is one of the best production facilities in the automotive industry, and it’s not going to be sold or shut down for a long time.

Things can change quickly, but I last heard that the C8 is on schedule with zero delays. GM’s top executives are very, very excited to see the car hit the market and I highly doubt that a major delay would occur for any financial reasons. This late in the pre-production Process, I’d think that the only time they could experience a major structural or mechanical issue that could cause a delay is in crash testing.
elegant (11-28-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:51 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

I'm one of the guys that has a deposit on a C8 at two different dealers. I've been buying new Corvettes since 1968 and quite honestly, I'm getting impatient waiting for the ME car. So impatient that I just may go out and find a new ZR1 to hold me over.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:12 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I think many of us who have a deposit waiting for the C8 release are starting to lose patience .

If there is no announcement by end of January I am going to pull the trigger on a 2020 911 to add to my gargage.

I have held off purchase as I am a die hard Corvette guy.

No, Don't Do It! Porsche is the evil empire.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:17 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
surely they would continue producing C7s as long as the demand is there. It would be nice if GM would just go ahead and officially announce what the heck they are going to do.
Demand for a C7 with the Blackwing and 10 speed auto would definitely be substantial. Sounds like the ultimate driving machine when matched with a GS.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:02 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
If there was some issue with the car, much better to catch it in testing than rushing to release and the problem surfaces in customer vehicles.

Take the Audi R8 for example- the whole front frame cracks from normal driving due to VW/Audi not properly reinforcing the frame in high stress areas. See the recent "Samcrac" videos on youtube where he buys a salvage one with this exact common issue.
I had an R8 this frame issue was way overblown & after further research happened with few cars that had incidents (accidents or major pothole hits or slamming the front wheel into a curb on the track or street). Audi uses the same frame in their racing cars with very few modifications and none in the front area and had no frame issues. What was discovered if you hit the front especially the wheel at a moderate amount of speed into a curb or major pothole hit the frame could get damaged if the hit was just right we are talking a major blow. Insurance would total the car because body shops would not repair aluminum frames even though some have done it on a salvage title cars. Its more about the mounting points of the front shock to the frame & a particularly hard major impact could cause a tear at the upper mounting point like you stated the weakest point. But unless a new redesign to the suspension happened not sure how to get it fixed to appease the 1% that mess it up. You can track the heck out of the R8 and it won't have any frame issues unless you crash the front wheels into something had a high rate of G-forces. The main issue is buying a pre-owned car and to inspect it means tearing the entire front of the car apart which is not an easy job on a basic car inspection to see if someone crashed the car. Other than the Mag ride, gear driven AC compressors blowing up the R8 is a solid problem free car to own.

Last edited by fasttoys; 11-28-2018 at 06:06 AM.
elegant (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 06:43 AM
GundamX7X
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

😂🤣🚗🚗
Old 11-28-2018, 08:07 AM
Griff2002
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Better they take the time to get the design right than rush it to the market with potential problems. It would be nice if they put some information on timing out for those of us waiting to buy.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 AM
TopEnd
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Exactly right. The boycott drumbeat is building - admittedly its counter productive because it will hurt GM workers further. But the politics of this are going to poison part of the customer pool to other GM products. Barra will be gone in 6 months.

LMAO, Mary Barra is probably the best suited manager to the times and one of the best in GM's last 50 years. But the time to act was 30 years ago when GM was the 800 pound gorilla.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 449er
My thoughts....not a chance that these layoffs will have any affect on the C8 or the Corvette line in general
I'm not so sure. They need to invest in new models and technology while at the same time cutting 25% of their white collar workers. People will get reassigned and funding priorities will have to change.

GM cannot be seen making 200 MPH gas guzzling sports cars while at the same time saying they are trying to bring them into the electric age. In reality, it makes no difference but the perception that they don't have their act together will be the problem.

Last edited by Sin City; 11-28-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Delayed?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:40 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by vetteman41960

THIS is why I said before its a BAD idea for dealers to even take a deposit. There is nothing to be gained by either side and everyone feels either entitled or is disappointed.

GM should have discouraged all dealers from taking money in advance when they don't know the selling price or delivery date. You just end up with upset customers.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:08 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
THIS is why I said before its a BAD idea for dealers to even take a deposit. There is nothing to be gained by either side and everyone feels either entitled or is disappointed.

GM should have discouraged all dealers from taking money in advance when they don't know the selling price or delivery date. You just end up with upset customers.
This is one time where I won't blame the dealers. If they have some sucker who wants to plunk down several thousand dollars for a spot in line for a car that doesn't even officially exist, then they should take the money.

GM could just as easily cancel this program and sweep it under the rug, and they wouldn't owe anyone (except maybe major shareholders) any explanation whatsoever.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:30 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

if you look at the f150 and 1500 sales of the big 3.. that's their sweet spot... even look at the wild success of the raptor.. now with the 3.5 EcoBoost.. people are going crazy for them.. dodge built the purpose built off road 1500.. can't remember the name.. gm may be trimming off all fat and gonna go hard on the 1500.. the 4 cylinder may or may not be great.. thats not much displacement for low end torque no matter how much boost .. its like 2.1 or something. fords branding of EcoBoost in the various configurations is very good... by 2020 its easy to imagine.. 1 economy car, 1 sedan (cop car size, full size) , 1x 1500 truck (various configurations), of course 2500, 3500, 5500 all with drama motors. and thats it..just like ford...ive never understood all the different models from the same make anyway...

Quick Reply: C8 Delayed?