Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong. - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:30 AM
  #21  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 3,592
Thanked 394 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT View Post



very good point! I also noticed the backing plate on the corvette fob looked 3D printed..... that caddy fob though is definitely past prototype stage.... it is premolded to receive the caddy logo.... and when turned over it clearly shows the mid engine car. They may possibly be using this same fob for future caddy cars though but wouldn’t have those front icons.
I'm guessing the FOB unit is an existing Caddy FOB hence the Caddy logo. Anyone know what the CT6 FOB looks like? I'm saying they started with that and added me buttons and only lately added a C8 emblem piece.
Tool Hoarder is online now  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:43 AM
  #22  
Tyler_RN_EMT
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tyler_RN_EMT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: Pendleton Indiana
Posts: 435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
I'm guessing the FOB unit is an existing Caddy FOB hence the Caddy logo. Anyone know what the CT6 FOB looks like? I'm saying they started with that and added me buttons and only lately added a C8 emblem piece.


Current CT6 and most other caddy fob.... it could definitely (and most likely) be the next generation caddy fob..... but why go through the process of putting the mid engine buttons in a future caddy only fob.... all valid points though!
Tyler_RN_EMT is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler_RN_EMT For This Useful Post:
Tool Hoarder (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:43 AM
  #23  
Tom73
CF Senior Member
 
Tom73's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: NM
Posts: 13,008
Thanked 79 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
Brakes can be replaced in a couple hours so they are not conclusive of anything. There a many reasons why the final brake set might not be mounted. One is that they are simply not ready yet. Another is that they were not testing the brakes; only the suspension was being evaluated with the aero. But the reason you are wrong is that the ME will not sell more than 40K units annually and will likely average 25K over the first 5 years. Corvette/GM did not invest hundreds of millions of dollars into BGA to make such a miniscule number of vehicles because the losses would be prohibitive. Corvette must have a profitable business case or call it a day.
I look at it from the other side. The first year the C8 will push production to the max and may result in OT to meet the demand (subject to any production issues). Second and third year will be full production. Year four and five may see a drop to the 20k to 25k range. Of course this is based on a realistic pricing point. If they try to turn the C8 into a halo car, all bets are off and the Vette is dead.
Tom73 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:50 AM
  #24  
vndkshn
CF Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 54
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity View Post
Actually, there are precisely ZERO reasons to test a CTF car on a racetrack with anything other than the production brake package. The brakes are such an important part of the handling package such as ABS and stability control that even besides the fact it would make no sense to design and manufacture a brake package outside of the production specification the testing done would be essentially useless without the production brake package.
IF the car in question was unwrapped (meaning all aero and airflow is production), THEN I would agree with everything you said. But, given the cars were still heavily wrapped, there are several possible reasons to test without the production brakes. Number 1 is simply internet buzz. Another is baselining the suspension (ride as much as anything else). Another is baselining things like the transmission, or steering, or... literally hundreds of things.
vndkshn is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:54 AM
  #25  
PCMIII
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Annandale VA
Posts: 560
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tom73 View Post

. Of course this is based on a realistic pricing point. If they try to turn the C8 into a halo car, all bets are off and the Vette is dead.
Not for me. The ME is interesting, but hardly compelling given the styling and tricky handling, not to mention no manual or cargo space.
I would like to see a refreshed C7 Grand Sport with the Blackwing and 10 speed auto or 7 speed manual, plus heated steering wheel, blind spot monitor, etc. All for under $70K.
Also, I would like to see a Corvette SUV similar to the Lambo Urus. Am I dreaming?
PCMIII is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:23 PM
  #26  
vndkshn
CF Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 54
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
The ME is interesting, but hardly compelling given the styling and tricky handling, not to mention no manual or cargo space.
Car isn't even released and you already know exactly what it will look like, how it will handle, exactly what transmission options there will be and how much cargo room it has? One hell of a magic 8 ball you have there.
vndkshn is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to vndkshn For This Useful Post:
Steven Beaver (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:27 PM
  #27  
Tom73
CF Senior Member
 
Tom73's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: NM
Posts: 13,008
Thanked 79 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
Not for me. The ME is interesting, but hardly compelling given the styling and tricky handling, not to mention no manual or cargo space.
I would like to see a refreshed C7 Grand Sport with the Blackwing and 10 speed auto or 7 speed manual, plus heated steering wheel, blind spot monitor, etc. All for under $70K.
Also, I would like to see a Corvette SUV similar to the Lambo Urus. Am I dreaming?
Dreaming, probably. I feel the the ME will be the only model. Originally I thought there may be two models for a transition period but have moved over to the one model school of thought. If the FE should be extended for 1 - 2 years it would only be a basic car without any upgrades, just a base 2019 extended for a limited amount of time.
Tom73 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:28 PM
  #28  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 14,799
Thanked 5,862 Times in 3,427 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
LOL, this post is loaded with funny!
Indeed, most of PCM's posts on this subject have been a great source of entertainment for many us.
Foosh is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:28 PM
  #29  
WICKEDFRC
CF Senior Member
 
WICKEDFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Avatar designed by WickedFRC.
Posts: 10,337
Thanked 195 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha View Post


Being able to buy a Midengine super car for 67k ought to be enough to drive sales higher than usual.
Edited. In my humble opinion, the Corvette is not a super car.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 11-30-2018 at 12:28 PM.
WICKEDFRC is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to WICKEDFRC For This Useful Post:
bluman (12-08-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:35 PM
  #30  
VistaVette
CF Senior Member
 
VistaVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 411
Thanked 84 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC View Post
Edited. In my humble opinion, the Corvette is not a super car.
But it has or comes close to super car performance figures
VistaVette is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:38 PM
  #31  
PCMIII
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Annandale VA
Posts: 560
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vndkshn View Post
Car isn't even released and you already know exactly what it will look like, how it will handle, exactly what transmission options there will be and how much cargo room it has? One hell of a magic 8 ball you have there.
At best it will look like the renders we have here, which are good but not must have. Mid engine cars handle very differently from FE because of physics. Manual transmissions are not worth it to auto makers. Cargo space is not a priority for ME cars. You seem to have a problem with logical thinking.
PCMIII is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:40 PM
  #32  
VistaVette
CF Senior Member
 
VistaVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 411
Thanked 84 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
At best it will look like the renders we have here, which are good but not must have. Mid engine cars handle very differently from FE because of physics. Manual transmissions are not worth it to auto makers. Cargo space is not a priority for ME cars. You seem to have a problem with logical thinking.
The C7 renders weren't all that great -the real car was much better. Additionally there was a patent floating around a month or so back indicating a manual trans is likely
VistaVette is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:41 PM
  #33  
PCMIII
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Annandale VA
Posts: 560
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tom73 View Post

If the FE should be extended for 1 - 2 years it would only be a basic car without any upgrades, just a base 2019 extended for a limited amount of time.
What would be the point of that? The C7 is not selling now as the only Corvette, except the ZR1. Who would buy the basic car now?
PCMIII is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:44 PM
  #34  
PCMIII
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Annandale VA
Posts: 560
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VistaVette View Post
Additionally there was a patent floating around a month or so back indicating a manual trans is likely
Corvette is putting their money into the DCT instead of developing a manual. The new generation of buyers can't drive a manual.
PCMIII is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 01:21 PM
  #35  
NewYuriCity
CF Senior Member
 
NewYuriCity's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Posts: 149
Thanked 107 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vndkshn View Post
IF the car in question was unwrapped (meaning all aero and airflow is production), THEN I would agree with everything you said. But, given the cars were still heavily wrapped, there are several possible reasons to test without the production brakes. Number 1 is simply internet buzz. Another is baselining the suspension (ride as much as anything else). Another is baselining things like the transmission, or steering, or... literally hundreds of things.
The vast majority of those "literally hundreds of things" are tied into the braking system, including the suspension, including ride, including steering. These are CTF cars, not IVERS. They're not testing to see how systems work from a design side anymore that was complete probably close to a year ago. They're making small tweaks to programming the chassis control systems and making sure the car is manufacturable. The production version of everything else on the car was used on those Nurburgring test cars, it is completely unrealistic to think anything but the production version of the brake rotors were used too.
NewYuriCity is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to NewYuriCity For This Useful Post:
Tool Hoarder (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 02:08 PM
  #36  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 3,592
Thanked 394 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity View Post
The vast majority of those "literally hundreds of things" are tied into the braking system, including the suspension, including ride, including steering. These are CTF cars, not IVERS. They're not testing to see how systems work from a design side anymore that was complete probably close to a year ago. They're making small tweaks to programming the chassis control systems and making sure the car is manufacturable. The production version of everything else on the car was used on those Nurburgring test cars, it is completely unrealistic to think anything but the production version of the brake rotors were used too.
I hope you're wrong on one area... that stupid spoiler. I hope it was a place holder for an active rear spoiler that approximated the "up" position. Doubt it though...
Tool Hoarder is online now  
Old 11-30-2018, 03:00 PM
  #37  
vndkshn
CF Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 54
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
At best it will look like the renders we have here, which are good but not must have. Mid engine cars handle very differently from FE because of physics. Manual transmissions are not worth it to auto makers. Cargo space is not a priority for ME cars. You seem to have a problem with logical thinking.
Renders... based off of camoed mules running around and vague descriptions of those who claim to be in the know. Gotcha.

Mid engine cars do handle differently, but that does not equal "tricky handling". But hey, if one ME car is "tricky", they all must be huh? Note that isn't what ANYONE in the industry says, but hey, you know the truth huh?

It's highly unlikely we will see a true manual, but again, we don't KNOW anything, do we? Oh wait, your magic 8 ball....

Cargo space may or may not be a priority. As much bitching about it as we see from a segment here, surely GM also realizes that a total lack of space is a bad idea. But again, we don't KNOW what it will or will not be able to carry, except from you with your magic 8 ball.

And I have the problem with logical thought? Based on what? Things we don't KNOW? Basing what you BELIEVE will be based on nothing but rumor and guessing is not logical. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
vndkshn is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 03:03 PM
  #38  
vndkshn
CF Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 54
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity View Post
The vast majority of those "literally hundreds of things" are tied into the braking system, including the suspension, including ride, including steering. These are CTF cars, not IVERS. They're not testing to see how systems work from a design side anymore that was complete probably close to a year ago. They're making small tweaks to programming the chassis control systems and making sure the car is manufacturable. The production version of everything else on the car was used on those Nurburgring test cars, it is completely unrealistic to think anything but the production version of the brake rotors were used too.
It all depends on what the purpose of the cars on the Ring were. Like our friend PCM, we don't KNOW what they were trying to accomplish there, so basing your beliefs on that and calling it scripture is a bit premature. Without the actual airflow the car will experience without camo, the car could behave much differently, possibly negating any benefit of "brake testing". And in the end, carbon ceramic brakes are not a requirement.
vndkshn is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 03:06 PM
  #39  
PCMIII
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Annandale VA
Posts: 560
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vndkshn View Post
And I have the problem with logical thought? Based on what? Things we don't KNOW? Basing what you BELIEVE will be based on nothing but rumor and guessing is not logical. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
I have never actually seen the curvature of the Earth, but I don't believe it is flat. How about you?
PCMIII is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 03:15 PM
  #40  
Randy Miller
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
Cargo space is not a priority for ME cars.
Cargo space is not usually a priority for sports cars in general, yet the Corvette still found room for it. Sports cars generally don't use leaf spring, the Corvette does. The Corvette breaks a lot of trends so trying to apply logic based on other ME cars may not be all that logical.
Randy Miller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: