Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ever wonder

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Yeah I’ll end up with one of y’alls used C7 Stingrays as soon as I can afford one. There will be more kids driving Corvettes than Miatas in a few years.

There’s a tiny old BBQ joint that had a used car dealer next to it nearby, and the dealer took over the little building when the BBQ place moved to a larger location. The used car dealer always had two C5’s and a C4 in stock. They’d sell one and replace it with another. Now that they have more property, the used car dealer has stocked up on C5’s and C4’s. There are probably 12 Corvettes on that lot of 20 or so cars, and it’s pretty weird. They don’t look to be for sale, either. Maybe that’s where all of the Corvettes will go
Old 12-07-2018, 09:31 PM
hemistar1
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Thought provoking question

Originally Posted by rob62
Ahright already. Forget I asked.
thanks for asking and I hope you get more responses.The general consensus is that with each model year/generation of Corvette another group of performance enthusiasts will come along and want to play. I have loved vettes since the early 90s when I got my 1st Chevrolet Cavalier z24..but they were always out of my range. Even after college I had to get a house 1st and then luxury came a little later.

I am now 47 with a great job and the c5,c6 and c7 are obtainable. So with the intro of the C8 I do expect trades but I also think some of us here will keep their C7’s just like some members have multiple generations..maybe pass them on to a family member.Just think of the guy(me) that in 2013 wanted the C7 but chose another car instead.There are thousands more like me ready for the C8 to drop so we can get our hands on previous gen mode for less.

Bottom line the C8 will be special but it does make any past generation less special so I don’t expect a overload of C7’s on the dealers showroom at least not for the first 2 years or so then the”unobtainium” will be accessible to the masses.

The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:44 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

….They don't get crushed like typical cars so how's this gonna play out? … Over seas perhaps?
An interesting "end of life" question for the aluminum frame C7.

We toured the first Nucor steel mill in Darlington SC and they, as most steel mills in the US today, melt steel scrape to make new steel! They were concerned that the Chinese were influencing the price of scraped cars the key ingredient for all their products. It was indicated they would be buying some "car junk yards." I mentioned they would have a real safety issue as Nucor has very strict safety rules. Our ASME Group had to sit through a 1/2 hour safety presentation before we toured the mill!

They must have bought the one I often pass as it now requires a sign-in, enter at your own risk etc and you must be over 18 to get in! The cars are not there long as I see than being brought out crushed, stacked on flat beds. Engines and radiators are removed prior. There is nothing allowed like the two fellows I saw removing a trans from a car the former owner had raised on a fork lift, which it was rocking as they were trying to get the Trans out by hand! Talk about crazy!

Back to the question on "end of life" question for a plastic aluminum C7! Certainly Nucor would not want it, they don't make aluminum and even one car in a furnace load would have too much aluminum to make quality steel. There scrape magnets would also not pick-up the shredded pieces! However that frame is sure much heavier than several 1000 bear cans I see folks collect for scrap! Aluminum is a great recycled metal and all those chassis and aluminum engine parts would be great to add to new molten aluminum being made! Using scape is a very significant electric energy saver over making aluminum from Bauxite (base aluminum oxide+ ore.)

Last edited by JerryU; 12-08-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:38 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Lightly used C5's, C6's and C7's present great buying opportunities for those that can't afford brand new ones or actually prefer the older generations. Low mileage, lightly used C6's and C7's can be purchased for a fraction of their initial price and are fantastic cars. I love looking for them, buying them, driving them for a while and then moving on. I like to revisit some of the cars I've owned in the past, like the C6 Z06. Low 30's gets you a real nice C6 Z right now with low miles. There will always be a market for used Vettes. Many people don't need the latest, greatest and don't want to ride the steep depreciation curve when you buy new.
The following 2 users liked this post by capevettes:
LuisZ51 (03-26-2020), Rapid Fred (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:39 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Where are all the C7's, 6's, even 5's getting sold or traded for the 8 gonna wind up?They don't get crushed like typical cars so how's this gonna play out? Are there even enough potential buyers to absorb all the used vettes that will be for sale soon? To say nothing of diminishing value . Over seas perhaps?
In what world are “typical cars” crushed on trade in? It’s gonna work like every other used car, depreciated and sold.

What is it about the C8 forum that brings out this nonsense?
Old 12-08-2018, 10:59 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

As a long time Corvette owner and FE RWD lover, the FE Corvette will continue to appeal to many for it’s styling and performance appeal.
[/QUOTE]

I think you're on track there. The lack of convenient storage/cargo space is going to affect many would be and returning owners. Not saying I will not love the Mid Engine Corvette but it absolutely will have an effect on me just hopping in and running up to the Costco or Home Depot in it.

unchartered territory going from FE to ME. Only time will tell.

the biggest thing for me is that I believe these mid-engine cars are going to escalate and price very quickly once you tag on options end or the higher models you going to see the Corvette base being pushed closer to a hundred grand sooner than later as they try to move the Camaro more into that slot where a c7 fit before

they've been doing this for years now since the onset of the ZL1

whether by accident or on purpose.
LuisZ51 (03-26-2020)
Old 12-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Where are all the C7's, 6's, even 5's getting sold or traded for the 8 gonna wind up?They don't get crushed like typical cars so how's this gonna play out? ......
I don't see a lot of any typical used cars being crushed. They go on and on for years passing through one set of buyers to another. Corvettes seem to survive that process better than most other cars.

Bill
Old 03-25-2020, 10:57 AM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

How about people that can afford a car but then just wait for like new used to get a deal? This forum is special. Throwing around couldn't afford. That is a perception depending on what someones financial standards are. How many people could afford a vette if you couldn't get a loan? A lot less that's for sure.
LuisZ51 (03-26-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 03:23 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

You feel it's a stupid question ? Fine. Coulda just moved on instead of hurling insults but thats who you are I guess. However for anyone who like to b.s. about vettes on this forum, the numbers of used vettes grows and grows and grows every year and it's only a matter of time, combined with diminished value, before demand is fulfilled.
Some good points but you forgot that the
population grows too, so there are more buyers.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:28 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Chevy kept making C7's all the way up until the changeover. I assume they knew there was a market for these cars.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:36 PM
EasyLivin
Race Director

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,359 Posts

They say it's the third owner that will most likely introduce a sports car to a tree or a pole...

Last edited by EasyLivin; 03-25-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:31 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Not only Corvettes I wonder where all of the "old" cars go. There are 1000s left over every year.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:36 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Check out the prices of 2019s on Auto Trader. Some LT1s are listed for under $50,000..............NEW

Quick Reply: Do you ever wonder