Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:06 PM
yz250fPilot
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
You hear that that the DOHC is more efficient, and it is, but not because of the cams. It is more efficient as it has hemispherical combustion chambers.
No, a DOHC engine has pentroof combustion chambers. Hemi's are old school 2-valve technology.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:16 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Only detail I have been able to find is Wikipedia so take this with a grain of salt.

And here is the CT6V tach showingthe red line at about 5700.

Last edited by Tom73; 12-30-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:16 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
A big heavy V8 with 4 times more cams, double the valves and two turbos has a car running in the 11s, while the tiny, lightweight LS6 with no forced induction from 2002 has the Corvette Z06 at the time doing the same. Glad BMW finally caught up.

But in all seriousness GM already has a lighter, smaller engine already making way more power, and probably costing less as well.
One key difference? BMW sells all of its cars worldwide. Know how cars are taxed in many worldwide jurisdictions? Displacement. Corvette isn't sold worldwide in appreciable enough numbers to care about that. BMW has to make more from less if it wants to sell everywhere it does.

Physical size isn't always a main consideration.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:59 PM
ConcernedCitizen
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
One key difference? BMW sells all of its cars worldwide. Know how cars are taxed in many worldwide jurisdictions? Displacement. Corvette isn't sold worldwide in appreciable enough numbers to care about that. BMW has to make more from less if it wants to sell everywhere it does.

You bring up a great point, and one that has a lot of bering on why I think the base model will likely have the smaller displacement dohc.

According to the codes inside the leaked key fob, the MEC may make its way into markets around the world that the Corvette hasn’t competed in before. Is a right hand drive in the works.? Would Europeans buy it with the Lt1? I don’t know, but I think it’s more likely to compete on the world stage with the dohc.

You may not care about that, but I’m sure GM does.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:18 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Only detail I have been able to find is Wikipedia so take this with a grain of salt.

You are misunderstanding the chart.
The HP and Torque numbers mean those numbers are reached at the RPM given in the chart.
It doesn't have anything to do with Engine redline in the slightest.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:02 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Will start out with a 495 hp version of the LT1, followed later by 4.2 and 4.9 liter versions with increasing hp and tq.

Last edited by jim2092; 01-01-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:19 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen
You bring up a great point, and one that has a lot of bering on why I think the base model will likely have the smaller displacement dohc.
According to the codes inside the leaked key fob, the MEC may make its way into markets around the world that the Corvette hasn’t competed in before. Is a right hand drive in the works.? Would Europeans buy it with the Lt1? I don’t know, but I think it’s more likely to compete on the world stage with the dohc.
You may not care about that, but I’m sure GM does.
Wasn't that the plan with the Cadillac ATS, CTS & CT6? Maybe GM has learned its lesson - no one outside of the good old USA gives a sh*t about GM cars, and that isn't going to change, so making a car for the world markets and pricing it at that level (if GM had gone after Infinity & Lexus with its cars and Acura, Infinity with its smaller SUV's, it might have had a shot at building its Cadillac brand, but in many ways GM management still thinks it is 1975 and GM is the market), such that the people in the USA won't buy it is a fools errand.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:12 AM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk

Most first world countries have gotten away from displacement tax, probably realizing its idiotic considering a 5.7L Corvette gets better gas mileage than a 2L S2000.

Physical size is a concern and should be for a sports car aimed at handling - you can mount the engine lower and closer to the center of the chassis for ideal weight balance and center of gravity.

If anything GM should be looking at a camless drivetrain with electronically controlled valves at this point.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Most first world countries have gotten away from displacement tax, probably realizing its idiotic considering a 5.7L Corvette gets better gas mileage than a 2L S2000.

Physical size is a concern and should be for a sports car aimed at handling - you can mount the engine lower and closer to the center of the chassis for ideal weight balance and center of gravity.

If anything GM should be looking at a camless drivetrain with electronically controlled valves at this point.
You can't do that. F1 cars have cams. The valve springs are replaced with air.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:46 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen

The newest version of that 4.4l bmw engine you show makes around 617hp. And it’s rival AMG 4.0l biturbo hot v makes over 600hp ,weighs about 460lbs, and the grocery getter they stuff it in smokes the Z06.

Whats your point again?
How much do they weigh fully assembled...? LT4 fully assembled is 520lbs and makes 650hp/650ft/lbs. Show me how much that 4.4l 617hp engine weighs fully assembled.

Last edited by Lavender; 12-30-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Don't understand the desire to have a lower performance (weight, size, reliability, power density, etc) engine, so that the engine can seem 'advanced'. What a strange priority!
The following 4 users liked this post by Suns_PSD:
dcbingaman (12-30-2018), Foosh (01-01-2019), Lavender (12-30-2018), Shaka (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 11:52 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

For a lot of companies the DOHC engine is used for image/status. The engine used needs to meet the need of the car. To me the LT does that in spades for the Vette.

You hear that that the DOHC is more efficient, and it is, but not because of the cams. It is more efficient as it has hemispherical combustion chambers. What the multiple cams do is allow the engine to rev. It gets rid of the lifters, pushrods, and rockers allowing for better valve control and higher revs.

The Cadillac DOHC engine is confusing. The specs show it reving to only 5000 - 5500 rpm. To take advantage of its efficienties it needs to rev out to 8000 rpms at least. If you are restricting it to 5500 then you may as well have on OHV.

But with the higher revs you are basicly having to ring its neck to get it going. You will also have higher maintenance and upkeep costs not to mention higher repair costs.

For the way 90% of Corvette owners use their car, the LT is more than sufficient. For the boy racers, they can wait a couple more years to get their image engine.
The DOHC supercharged engine in my Mercedes sedan has a 5,800 RPM redline.

The OHV NA engine in my Z06 has a 7,000 RPM redline.

It's fun shifting at 7,000 RPM into 5th gear at 160 MPH in my OHV Z06. I can't do that in my Mercedes.

Can anyone tell me what truck has a LS7 in it?
Old 12-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The DOHC supercharged engine in my Mercedes sedan has a 5,800 RPM redline.

The OHV NA engine in my Z06 has a 7,000 RPM redline.

It's fun shifting at 7,000 RPM into 5th gear at 160 MPH in my OHV Z06. I can't do that in my Mercedes.

Can anyone tell me what truck has a LS7 in it?
I'm sure there is one some where.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Wasn't that the plan with the Cadillac ATS, CTS & CT6? Maybe GM has learned its lesson - no one outside of the good old USA gives a sh*t about GM cars, and that isn't going to change, so making a car for the world markets and pricing it at that level (if GM had gone after Infinity & Lexus with its cars and Acura, Infinity with its smaller SUV's, it might have had a shot at building its Cadillac brand, but in many ways GM management still thinks it is 1975 and GM is the market), such that the people in the USA won't buy it is a fools errand.
Last year(2017), GM sold more vehicles in China than they did in the good old USA. The Buick Lacrosse and the Cadillac CT6 is history in the good old USA, but both will continue to solder on in GM's China manufacturing facility.

Ford and GM dropping their sedans in the USA is a result of not being competitive in that market in the USA. Other manufacturers will keep building/importing sedans for the USA market. SUV's are indeed the hot ticket in the USA, but there is still a large market for sedans.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Shaka
I'm sure there is one some where.
Installed in a GM truck by GM in one of their truck manufacturing plants, and offered for sale by a Chevrolet/GMC retail dealer...…….

Other than possibly a bolt or a spark plug wire, name one component in the LS7 that is found in a GM truck engine.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:09 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
You are misunderstanding the chart.
The HP and Torque numbers mean those numbers are reached at the RPM given in the chart.
It doesn't have anything to do with Engine redline in the slightest.
Correct, but that is the peak power, just wasting your time going ant further.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Last year(2017), GM sold more vehicles in China than they did in the good old USA. The Buick Lacrosse and the Cadillac CT6 is history in the good old USA, but both will continue to solder on in GM's China manufacturing facility.

Ford and GM dropping their sedans in the USA is a result of not being competitive in that market in the USA. Other manufacturers will keep building/importing sedans for the USA market. SUV's are indeed the hot ticket in the USA, but there is still a large market for sedans.
And the cycle repeats itself w the domestic OEMs abandoning market segments because of profitability until there reaches a point where the supply meets demand and so imports end up making the money.
Seen this movie before.

Get notified of new replies

To Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Old 12-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

This is partially true, but misleading. GM's presence in China consists of 10 joint ventures w/ Chinese entities, and 2 wholly foreign-owned subsidiaries. The #1 "GM" selling car in China is the "Baojun" of which GM owns only 44%.

The vehicles selling very well in China are not the models it sells in the US. The cars more similar to US models are built by a 50/50 GM-SAIC consortium, and they are not selling in large numbers. Moreover, GM financial agreements with these Chinese entities are so generous, the margins are so thin, they don't contribute all that much to the corporate bottom line.

The link below explains this clearly.

GM Sales in China

Last edited by Foosh; 12-30-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Installed in a GM truck by GM in one of their truck manufacturing plants, and offered for sale by a Chevrolet/GMC retail dealer...…….

Other than possibly a bolt or a spark plug wire, name one component in the LS7 that is found in a GM truck engine.
What on earth is the matter with you?
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (01-09-2019)
Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Shaka
What on earth is the matter with you?
Just pointing out that not every Corvette has a truck engine in it.

Quick Reply: Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”